PDA

View Full Version : What codex supplements and mini codices would you come up with?

Herkamer63
04-06-2016, 14:38
Let me elaborate: If you were given permission, what supplements, and mini codices, would you come up with with the current armies, and what rules would you put into it? First, here's a partial list.

Black Templars - I have threads on them already, so I'll skip this one. Check out the threads if you have time, but these guys most definitely make my list.

Catachans - I'd love to see the jungle fighters get their own set of rules, again. I think I'd set them up as a supplement, and work with how they deal with cover. They could do something with area terrain where they re-roll cover saves of a 1 or +1 to their cover save in non-ruins/buildings. Move through cover would be nice. Also, their flamers should be slightly better. Other wargear: the Catachan blades with some rules would be nice. More CC pieces of relic wargear would be cool, too.

Kroot - Codex mini, like an individual Ad Mech codex, all the way. Great Knarlocs and Knarloc Riders from forge world, and fromake the old chapter approved book I'd put in the Vulture squads, Shaper council, and Master Shaper. Still borrowing from Chapter approved, bring back evolutionary traits, and base it on what army you are about to play. Like against marines +1 strength, Oris +1 toughness. I know people are going to say "really", but psychic powers, at least on the Shaper council and Master Shaper.

Unforgiven Chapters - Dark Angels supplement, whether it be an individual chapter, or all the chapters, except DA. Different relics, formations, maybe even make Veteran squads slightly better or in a different FOC slot. Not a whole lot here, but something to make them operate differently.

This is just a partial list, but you get the idea. I'm not saying GW is going to do any of them, or should do them for that matter. I figured this would be a simple wish listing thread, so have at it.

A.T.
04-06-2016, 14:59
Tzeentch/Nurgle/Slaanesh daemonkin - because khorne is the ultramarines of chaos.

But other than that i'd have to go for codex:finish updating the damn armies, because aside from chaos daemons who have managed to keep up everything from 2014 and back is in a totally different league to the class of 2015/2016.

MagicHat
04-06-2016, 16:57
Codex: Imperial Agents.
All the Assassins, with their current detachment and formation.

Inquisitors, plastic model in power armour. Plastic Warband with one inquisitor in carapace, and a box with DC assassins, Flagellants, Crusaders and a Priest.

Tempestus Scions, current formations, new Tempestus Sentinel and option to upgrade into Inquisitorial Scions.

Deathwatch marines?

Chimera, Taurox Prime, Land Raiders, Valkyries, Vendetta, Rhino and Razorback.

Fangschrecken
04-06-2016, 16:59
Codex Mercenaries. Really it would be a list of xenos and human units that could be taken as allies of convenience for certain armies. Each unit would have it's own allies chart and would basically take a slot on the force org.
Something like, Kroot, battle brothers Tau, allies of convenience orks, chaos, IoM, Come the Apoc Nids

A demiurge infantry unit that would probably be short ranged low AP guns. Probably a 2+ save. WS3 BS4 S3 T3 W1 I2 LD 8 or 9 Save 2+ Guns being Str 3 or 4 ap 2 range 12"

Could have rough riders and guard infantry squads to represent various human groups and generic cultist. They'd have autoguns instead of lasguns but those have the same stats. Could also have options for shotguns to represent ship defenders.

Some sort of Tarellian infantry unit.

Maybe some kind of space arachnid with lots of guns or ccw

The possibilities are endless.

These could all be formed into a coherent force if you chose a mercenary captain. This could be a human, eldar or something else. With different options based on species and such. Kind of like how eldar corsairs have access to both dark eldar and craftworld equipment, human merc captains could take imperial or chaos stuff plus some xenos stuff.

Maidel
04-06-2016, 17:14
Chaos legions

Adeptus custodes

Adeptus arbities

Thirteenth company space wolves (although the current codex pretty much stole all those ideas)

Guard Tank companies

Eldar exodites

Squats ;)

Zustiur
04-06-2016, 19:56
Unforgiven Chapters - Dark Angels supplement, whether it be an individual chapter, or all the chapters, except DA. Different relics, formations, maybe even make Veteran squads slightly better or in a different FOC slot. Not a whole lot here, but something to make them operate differently.

must have options for a generic chapter master, chief librarian, and bike options for company masters. Better yet just put those options back in the codex. Not everyone wants to use azrael, ezekial and sammael.

sent via tapatalk

murgel2006
04-06-2016, 23:15
I would like to see a supplement for IG dealing with the various regiments of note (Catachans, Mordians etc.) and I would put them in one book with variation options or special units and other but similar regiments.
Kind of like jungle fighters gain move through cover (jungle/wood) etc. and then you can select a special weapon or unit type gaining a bonus to make for Catachans (Flamers gain +1 S) or other planets
Boni I could think of should be small but real. Like:
- One type of heavy weapon team is a few points cheaper. OR
- Special weapons teams may buy one additional weapon. OR
- Each platoon squad cost x more points but automatically has one sniper.OR
- Special USR can be assigned to exactly one unit (Tank hunter, stealth etc..)
and so on. Basically some kind of chapter tactics but less elite more like specials that originate on your planet or traditional tactics.

Besides that I would like to see the Tank armies gaining a supplement of their own. Containing strict guidelines for some formations down to the tank equipment but then gaining some significant boni. Stuff like:
- a Formation of 4 leman russ tanks, all with Battle cannon, bolter sponsons and Las cannon together with 2 Infantry squads in Chimeras -> can not be subjected to "death or Glory" will destroy a unit via tank shock on a roll of 4+
and similar stuff.

The various Chaos gods need their own "Daemonkin" book as well, especially the currently rarely seen.
Also there should be a supplement for the remaining "traitor" legions as well as one for the bigger warbands.

Many things like that could also be done via a Data sheet.

Daenerys Targaryen
05-06-2016, 00:39
The Daemonkin are entirely unique to Khorne - a point that the codex mentions more than a few times! Anyways, I'd use supplements to properly bulk out Chaos in general... Basically, you'd have the three 'main' Chaos books of Chaos Marines, Daemons and Khornekin. Then, you'd have the supplement 'dexes for:
Champions of Chaos.
-rules for the 4 cult Legions, plus their iconic special characters. (ie: Kharn, Lucius, Typhus & Ahriman move from codex CSM's to this new supplement) Add in additional Relic tables & Warlord Traits, plus a mini-Decurion for each God specific Legion. Basically, this is to Chaos Marines what Angels of Death is to Loyalist scum.

Lost and the Damned.
- rules for expanded Chaos Cults (and thus, remove Cultists from CSMs themselves), rogue mercenaries, mutants, plague hosts, etc... Pretty much an expanded upon version of the Eye of Terror list.
You could build a semi-traitor guard style army out of it, but overall, the 'real thing' would still be best left to the Forgeworld IA:13 book so as not to completely tread all over their toes!

MajorWesJanson
05-06-2016, 08:34
Chaos:
You could do similar books to Khorne Daemonkin and then just call them differently/organize them differently so Khorne Daemonkin are still "unique"
Remove Codex CSM and Codex Daemons, replace with:
Khorne Daemonkin (add World Eaters characters and rules)
Minions of Tzeentch (Thousand Sons, Formations made up of tzeentch daemons or CSM, not mixed, but synergy still)
Lords of the Plague (Death Guard, Nurgle)
Seekers of Sensation (Emperor's Children, Slaanesh)
Renegades of Chaos (Red Corsairs, Crimson Slaughter, Alpha Legion, limited access to cult marines, wider variety of cultists/traitor guard/mutant type units)
Astartes Diabolis (Black Legion, Iron Warriors, Word Bearers, Night Lords, limited cult and chaff units, focus on elite troops like a dark mirror of Grey Knights codex)

Merge Codex Knights, Cult Mechanicus, and Skitarii into one Codex Mechanicus. Make the Knight the Lord of War using a loyalist version of the datasheet from Renegade and a formation of 1-3 Knights, and drop all the relics and adamantine lances and extra junk added to justify a lone book.

Merge Codex Inquisition, Codex Assassins, Tempestus Scions, Death Watch, and Legion of the Damned into a Codex: Imperial Agents

Merge Codex Astartes, Angels of Death, Blood Angels, and Dark Angels into one BRB sized Codesx Astartes, split into Fluff, Rules, and pictures like the BRB is now. Normalize the standard units, and then make the odd balls chapter specific (like the Crusader Squad is now)- BA get the Baal Predator, Sanguinary Guard, and Death Company. Dark Angels get their planes, the Land Speeder variants, Black Knights, and Deathwing Knights as unique units. Each Chapter (and some sucessors like Black Templars, Flesh Tearers) get their own detachment and relics like in Angels of Death. Keep Interromancy, Bloodmancy, and Librarius as specific disciplines for this book, but make Technomancy, Geokinesis, and the other new one into generic BRB powers all can use.

IG: Split Catachans out into their own book. New plastic roughriders as Catachans on reptiles of some sort. Re-add Kasrkin in plastic as a Vet Squad kit, remove Scions.

Dark Eldar- Expand all three branches- Wych cult gets Gladiators- heavily armored melee troops. Kabals get generic Dais of Destruction as big catamaran Lord of War transport with Vect option. Covens get more variety in Abominations.

Harlequins- Add a Great Harlequin as a HQ choice. Mimes as slower, tanky infantry. Chorus as heavy weapons unit with mix of haywire, prism, and shrieker cannon options. Transport Flier with a built in webway gate.

Necrons- Expand into "Slaves of the C'Tan" and "Dynasties of Old" factions. Slaves to the Ctan focuses more on the CTan, warriors, tomb-spyders, wraiths, flayed ones, deathmarks. Dynasties focuses on the Immortals, Triarch units, and barges. Return Pariahs.

New Mini-Codices:
Feral Orks
Kroot Mercs (Remove Kroot from the Tau book. They could pull out the Vespid as well and make it Codex Tau)
Exodite Eldar
Genestealer Cult

Tokamak
05-06-2016, 13:38
Tzeentch/Nurgle/Slaanesh daemonkin - because khorne is the ultramarines of chaos.

Why not undivided or shadow daemonkin? Like Bela'kor?

Daenerys Targaryen
05-06-2016, 21:54
No god damned way do I want to be forced to buy 4 bloody books just to play what my current Daemon codex allows for... Why should Daemon players be punished by having to shell out $200+ just to re-access all the rules that currently only costs us $60?
By the same token, why should every Loyalist player be forced to lug around a 300+pg tome, that again, is likely to cost 2-3x as much as a regular codex?

Chaos can be served fine with a CSM codex that's equal to the Vanilla Marine codex in size & scope, plus Daemons, plus Khornekin.
Add in additional smaller codices (ala Angels of Death style) for all the Cult Legions, Lost and the Damned, Dark Mechanicus (inclu Chaos Knights please), etc...

A.T.
06-06-2016, 00:30
Why not undivided or shadow daemonkin? Like Bela'kor?Undivided is/should be covered by the core book with daemonkin being like the blood angels/dark angels/etc of the set - since the CSM and daemons books are too big to practically intermix but the daemonkin books let them do it one god at a time.
(personally I think mixed codex formations would have been all that was needed, but that isn't the way GW has gone)

TheBearminator
06-06-2016, 00:56
IG tank company

Some Ork equivalent (there's too little Ork tanks out there, they can't even squad up)

Speed freaks

Abbadonsrighthand
06-06-2016, 07:31
A supplement for each traitor legion with its own unique unit or 2 and a decurion for each one

williamsond
06-06-2016, 09:00
For me it has to be the squats, it wouldn't need much just a few units to supplement other imperial codexs would be enough... but that being said a full codex would be awesome.

MajorWesJanson
06-06-2016, 19:31
No god damned way do I want to be forced to buy 4 bloody books just to play what my current Daemon codex allows for... Why should Daemon players be punished by having to shell out $200+ just to re-access all the rules that currently only costs us $60?
By the same token, why should every Loyalist player be forced to lug around a 300+pg tome, that again, is likely to cost 2-3x as much as a regular codex?

Chaos can be served fine with a CSM codex that's equal to the Vanilla Marine codex in size & scope, plus Daemons, plus Khornekin.
Add in additional smaller codices (ala Angels of Death style) for all the Cult Legions, Lost and the Damned, Dark Mechanicus (inclu Chaos Knights please), etc...

Why should Khorne get special treatment? Doing God specific books, rather than a merged "all 4 gods of Chaos" is far closer to the old Slaves to Darkness and Lost and the Damned approach to the fluff and rules than 5th Edition's "All the Gods get along just fine" approach.
And the 300 page tome comment is true, which is why I suggested something like the BRB- split it into 3 books, rules, fluff, and pics. The rules section would be about the same size as the current codex.
As for lugging around a bunch of books, Loyalists have the Codex + Angels of Death, already costing like $80 or so, so a $75-80 Big Codex would be no different.

Rai_st
06-06-2016, 22:36

Very much this - I listen to people complain all the time about the speed of codex release and the poor quality and how GW only wants our money. And then read thread after thread of people asking for unique and very specific codex's that would end up costing way more money to play the same.

Col. Tartleton
07-06-2016, 17:14
20 Books: 5 Imperium; 5 Chaos; 10 Xenos; 7 Factions

Forces of the Imperium
Codex: Tech
Codex: Sisters
Codex: Guard
Codex: Inquisition
Codex: Marines

Forces of Chaos
Codex: Tech
Codex: Cultists
Codex: Guard
Codex: Demons
Codex: Marines

Forces of Eldar
Codex: Craftworld
Codex: Dark

Forces of the Necrons
Codex: Necrons
Codex: Pariahs

Forces of the Tau
Codex: Tau
Codex: Kroot

Forces of the Orks
Codex: Space Orks
Codex: Feral Orks

Forces of the Tyranids
Codex: Tyranids
Codex: Genestealers

Although honestly at this point 40k would probably work better Age of Sigmar style. :evilgrin:

Maidel
07-06-2016, 18:42
From a business perspective - why would you have 5 books for chaos that provide a tiny fraction of gw sales and then have 1 book for space marines that make up over 50% of gw's total sales.

They go where the money is, not where it isn't.

Tokamak
07-06-2016, 19:08
Tau Mercenary force. The army may only pick one unit of each type from the Tau Codex. The rest comes with it's own codex which involves Transport, Kroot, Vespid, Imperial Guard Troops, Ork Troops, Demiurg and entirely new xenos troops.

Abbadonsrighthand
07-06-2016, 20:46
From a business perspective - why would you have 5 books for chaos that provide a tiny fraction of gw sales and then have 1 book for space marines that make up over 50% of gw's total sales.

They go where the money is, not where it isn't.

But the only reason for that is because chaos had with the exception of a few units a garbage model lone and garbage rules

thanoson
08-06-2016, 03:15
A larger than mansized basic troop alien army, akin to that of Invid. Jump packing MC's with limited choices, but a small list type army.

anselminus
08-06-2016, 09:39
Imperium:
- Sister of battle codex
- catachan sup
- arbites sup
- deathwatch sup

Orks:
- big mek army sup
- feral sup
- speed kult sup

Chaos:
- 3 other gods daemonkin sup
- renegade imperial guard sup
- cultists sup
- dark mech sup

Eldar:
- pirate sup
- exodite sup
- crawftworld sup

Necron:
- dynastie sup

Tyranids:
- geenstealer sup
- hive fleet sup

Tau:
- kroots sup
- imperial guard in tau empire sup

Axeman1n
08-06-2016, 10:03
Catachans
Thousand Sons
Pratoriates
Hrud
Sisters of Battle
Necrons that actually get BACK up(no bitter about it I swear)

Tygre
09-06-2016, 02:12
Imperial Navy
For Thunderbolts, Lightnings and Marauders. Plus all their variants.
May as well as take Valkyries out of IG and put it in this book; plus all variants. (I know some people will not like this idea.)
Maybe include orbital bombardments and ground spotters.

Arijharn
09-06-2016, 09:59
I'd make a supplement that combines Codex: Space Marines (and the other codexes like Space Wolves, Blood Angels) with chaos to form an actual renegade chapter that would take some chapter tactics but diminished/changed wargear roster (to portray their flight from their homeworld whatever and their excommunication from the wider Imperium) and options to become more 'Chaos-ey', such as a (small) points premium on Chaos Marks, but also some sort of influence of corruption in their units and possibly even some Chaos unit choices as well (such as Possessed, Spawn)

dangerboyjim
11-06-2016, 22:30
Agents of the Imperium.

Rules for using

Adeptus Custodes - On rare occasion the palace will sanction a member of the Custodes to leave Holy Terra. When they do it it is only for the most dire purpose and may call on any branch of the imperium as though the Emperor himself. This is the rules for using a single member of the custodes, one of the most lethal warriors of the imperium. Essentially a 10ft tall killing machine clad in dreadnought armour that could go toe to toe with a Greater Daemon and evoke the will of the emperor.

Adeptus Arbites - Rules for using small allied force of arbites, not soldiers by trade, but well armed, trained an dedicated.

Venators - Officially sanctioned mercenarys paid to chase down rogue psykers and xenos on the fringes of humanity. Violent, desperate men, who may utilise exotic and possibly illegal weaponry.

Cult of the Redeemer - Fanatical, devoted and utterly private militia, occasionally tolerated by the ecclesiarchy long enough to collaborate on what will inevitably, will turn into a violent situation.

Rogue Trader - Rules for using a rogue trader, their entourage of exotic and violent freaks and elite mercs/henchmen, and artefacts from beyond the edge of the imperium.

Ordo Xenos Kill team - Single squad of xenos hunting marines.

Inquisitor - It's always been a bit of a fudge giving the separate orders their own codex, put them in here and they can ally up with any other branch of the imperium, just like they should.

and maybe...

Sisters of Battle - Hey they deserve their own codex, I won't deny that, but if GW can give them their own, a slot in here is the next best option right?

TimLeeson
11-06-2016, 23:25
Enslavers

Slaugth

Hrud (but not based on the rubbish space skaven or swamp creature versions)

Chaos Aliens (not based on existing races)

basicly some proper xenos aside from the nids (the rest are just human standins from my PoV)

murgel2006
12-06-2016, 11:51
How about a supplement dealing with tactical positioning?
Flanking units or elevated positions etc. all the stuff you learn in tactical training. These things are nowhere to be found in the rule book so it might be fun and would be a great enrichment for especially the smaller games.