PDA

View Full Version : What is special about the Death Leaper Lictor?

gigglyjoker
11-07-2006, 17:19
Does it have new special rules or something?

-giggly

Chaos and Evil
11-07-2006, 17:20
Yes it does.

Rabid Bunny 666
11-07-2006, 17:22
:wtf:

Despite all the hype over it, there hasn't been much debate about tge Death Leaper.

Inquisitor Skyshadow
11-07-2006, 17:24
where do you find the rules at?

Chaos and Evil
11-07-2006, 17:25
Oh ok I'll help out.

It has a 6+ armour save instead of 5+.
It has a +2 cover save just like a normal lictor.
It may Deep Strike anywhere on the board, not just into terrain pieces.

Shaper Shakra
11-07-2006, 17:25
GW UK site. Basically it just deepstrikes and has minor stat tweaks (One more attack and only a 6+ save). You beat me to it you tricky little git!

Inquisitor Skyshadow
11-07-2006, 17:28
but dont normal lictors deepstrike anyway?

Chaos and Evil
http://uk.games-workshop.com/tyranids/special-characters/4/

His rules have been available for quite a while now, since before there was even a model for him.

Chaos and Evil
but dont normal lictors deepstrike anyway?

Normally they can only Deep-Strike into terrain features.

Rabid Bunny 666
11-07-2006, 17:33
So GW didn't re-vamp the rules? thats a bit half-arsed.

Estragor
11-07-2006, 17:37
So GW didn't re-vamp the rules? thats a bit half-arsed.

Not really, as the Deathleaper is only a different strain of regular Lictor. A complete ruels re-vamp would imply an almost completely new Tryanid gene strain- as in not a Lictor.

Wraithbored
11-07-2006, 23:57
The Death Leaper is acctually crappier than a normal lictor, a norma lictor if it would scatter out of a terrain piece it just stops on the border, death leaper can scatter onto enemy units and get vaped. So the normal lictor is acctually far more accurate as to where it lands.

Mr Evil
12-07-2006, 00:34
The Death Leaper is acctually crappier than a normal lictor, a norma lictor if it would scatter out of a terrain piece it just stops on the border, death leaper can scatter onto enemy units and get vaped. So the normal lictor is acctually far more accurate as to where it lands.

Except if that there is a certain squad that you really need to tie up that isn't near any cover or if your opponent knows about Lictors and simply fills up any important cover with their static-shooty units, Death Leaper gives you an edge. An extra attack also means an extra chance to rend, which translates into more possibility of winning combat and wiping out a squad.

Durr.

Wraithbored
12-07-2006, 00:48
Except if that there is a certain squad that you really need to tie up that isn't near any cover or if your opponent knows about Lictors and simply fills up any important cover with their static-shooty units, Death Leaper gives you an edge. An extra attack also means an extra chance to rend, which translates into more possibility of winning combat and wiping out a squad.

Durr.
True but on tables that have over 25% terrain it will be hard for him to nerf every piece of cover. But everything else is a valid point, but Death leaper only has 6+ armour save so that squad he is meantto assault has a good chance of shooting him(if he scatters to far away) or he gets telefragged if he scatters onto the squad since he does have a normal assault move of 6".

And was that Durr really called for?:eyebrows:

Unseeing Eye
12-07-2006, 01:49
but Death leaper only has 6+ armour save so that squad he is meantto assault has a good chance of shooting him(if he scatters to far away)

6+ is only in close combat, still gets a 5+ cover against shooting.

I ordered the Death Leaper model rather than a regular Lictor because I needed the Leaper parts for a bits swap. However, I am considering using him as a normal lictor instead. The normal stealth can be a lot more accurate, especially in city fight. If a small shooty squad is on the top floor of a building, just deepstrike onto the ground floor--you won't scatter away far with a regular lictor, and so you can assault straight up. Death Leaper, however, could easily get a bad scatter and end up too far away to assault.

Wraithbored
12-07-2006, 02:00
6+ is only in close combat, still gets a 5+ cover against shooting.

Thanks for the correction!:)

Colonel_Kreitz
12-07-2006, 02:20

Actually, I was just going to mention that. The whole advantage to the Lictor is that it can deep strike accurately, more or less 100% of the time. I would argue, in fact, that this is the entire point of the Lictor, just like the whole point of the Callidus is to deep-strike with perfect accuracy.

The Deathleaper, instead, has a very real possiblity of landing badly off target. Even if it doesn't get vaped on landing, an inaccurate deep-strike cancels out the entire point of using a Lictor.

It also amuses me that Deathleaper has a badly inferior save. I'm reminded of a rather hilarious instance where a Lictor charged one of my IG anti-tank squads. The Lictor killed no one, then was killed by the IG's counterattacks (improbable, but funny). Admittedly, the 1 extra attack helps but is virtually countered by the reduction to 6+ for the save (think about it. A 5+ save isn't too great to start with. Making it 6+ cuts the number of savable wounds in half).

On the whole, it seems to me that, yes, Death Leaper is inferior to the standard Lictor. So go right on ahead, Hive Fleet! Lose millions of tons of valuable biomass to recover your worthless creation.

Death Cat
12-07-2006, 08:34
Yes but your all forgetting that other than his super neato rules he can tap dance and and make a mean Hotpot:D .... but on a serious note he aint all hes cracked up to be i would rather have the original lictor.

Melchiah
12-07-2006, 09:23
He aint that bad lookin of a model though with crappy rules....wich is oddly the other way lol

Ubik_Lives
12-07-2006, 13:14
Admittedly, the 1 extra attack helps but is virtually countered by the reduction to 6+ for the save (think about it. A 5+ save isn't too great to start with. Making it 6+ cuts the number of savable wounds in half).

Yes, but you don't care about how many saves you pass, you care about how many you fail. So moving from a 5+ to a 6+ is 25% more deadly to the Lictor, rather than 50%.

In my opinion Lictor's defences have always come from hitting a small squad and killing a good number before they get to strike back, rather than its armour. I think the trade of armour for an attack is a good one.

As for its deep strike ability, well I guess that depends on how much terrain you use. On a cityfight table I would go for the normal type, as there is so much terrain for the Lictor to come down on. On your desert plains type table, then you'd be after the Death Leaper.

gigglyjoker
12-07-2006, 16:54
GW UK site. Basically it just deepstrikes and has minor stat tweaks (One more attack and only a 6+ save). You beat me to it you tricky little git!

Look again. The top of that page says:

"The new Death Leaper miniature, available from the Online Store, uses the standard rules for Lictors as laid out in Codex: Tyranids."

So the new model is just a new model. No new rules.

Weird.

-giggly

Colonel_Kreitz
12-07-2006, 19:42
No, there are definitely new rules. I've read them and, evidently, quite a few others have too, and I doubt it was a mass hallucination.

That having been said, I can't actually find them though, as Shaper Shakra says, it was on the GWUK site a month or so ago. Can anyone find the link?

r(2)Truth
12-07-2006, 20:29
Don't forget, normal lictors have to choose one terrain piece before game, and stick with it. The deathleaper can go anywhere, albeit with a scatter which can totally ruin your (or your enemy's) plan. Good and bad.

langolas
12-07-2006, 20:37
Don't forget, normal lictors have to choose one terrain piece before game, and stick with it. The deathleaper can go anywhere, albeit with a scatter which can totally ruin your (or your enemy's) plan. Good and bad.

Neg on that. In 3rd, maybe, but in fourth a Lictor just has to be deployed in ANY piece of area terrain. Just confirmed in me handy-dandy codex ;)

n00bLord
12-07-2006, 21:28
Aside from all of this the Death Leaper is also easier to wax the floor with save's wise.

gigglyjoker
14-07-2006, 15:48
No, there are definitely new rules. I've read them and, evidently, quite a few others have too, and I doubt it was a mass hallucination.

That having been said, I can't actually find them though, as Shaper Shakra says, it was on the GWUK site a month or so ago. Can anyone find the link?

The "new rules" that are posted in this thread are the same as in the link above. But that same page has the line at the top saying that those rules do not apply to the new Death Leaper model.

Did you find even newer rules? If so, please give us an idea of what they are.

-giggly

Fallen Angel
14-07-2006, 15:50
Yeah the extra deepstrike option is a nice thing but not rly that useful i should think. but 10pts for an extra rending attack should be quite fun. I think its more of a fun option than a must have. I know my nid army will definitely be using it given the chance.

Warlord Kyle
19-07-2006, 05:16
while the extra attack is good that doesn't make up for everything else it loses espesiaclly the special deepstrike....
plus i am not sure now there it follows specail rules which ive seen or normal lictor rules
plus if it follows normal rules why does the nids what to recalim the deathleaper on medusa v? HMMMM?

cailus
19-07-2006, 06:53
Apparently he leaps to his death, which a normal Lictor doesn't do.

gLOBS
19-07-2006, 07:44
Heh I find the whole the Death Leaper special Lictor does not use the special "Death Leaper" rules quite amusing.

AmKhaibitu
19-07-2006, 07:48
They want to reclaim death leaper because it can travel undetected. And thus if that capability was applied to other nid bioforms, they'd become ever so nastier.

EarthScorpion
19-07-2006, 09:50
As I have said before... mmm, invisible Genestealers.

Inquisitor lorr
19-07-2006, 10:24
As I have said before... mmm, invisible Genestealers.
Nah....mmm invisible carnifexes