PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of starting a small dark eldar force....

Chevron_Locked
10-06-2016, 15:39
Hello. As the title says I'm considering starting a dark eldar force. I've been a craftworlder through and through, eldar were my first army when I started back in 3dr/4th (2001ish) and after a very long break from the hobby I started them again just as 6th ed was released. I recently started a harlie force but am now tempted by dark eldar. I know they aren't exactly competitive at the mo but reckon can have at least some fun with them. Also it'd be nice to have some of the dark kin in my collection and I love the models. So...

What is a good army "core"?
What's a good HQ?
What are the good units? Weapon options?
What should I stay away from?

Just want to get an idea before I spend money on a codex. Any advice would be grand :)

Spiney Norman
11-06-2016, 12:47

Good question, if you're wanting to take a CAD from the main DE codex generally I would take a Succubus as your HQ and two warrior squads in raiders as your compulsory Troop choices. One thing you might want to explore is the real space raiders detachment which lets you take extra Fast attack slots (one of which is compulsory) because many of the best DE units are in the Fast attack section.

The other option that is worth considering is the haemonculi covens book, I don't really dig the covens aesthetic generally but I know they can be pretty competitive if played right.

What's a good HQ?
Always the Succubus, she's essentially a more hitty, less tanky version of the archon, however the archon is about as combat capable as a crippled gretchin against anything with a 2+ armour save. The succubus is the only DE HQ that has access to an ap2 cc weapon and as a result she is the only real choice for me.

If you're not into your 'all-star' cc characters and are just looking for a support-type HQ then go for the haemy (he will be your only choice to lead a covens supp army anyway).

Whichever you choose, strongly consider giving them a webway portal, being able to drop your HQ and a transport full of goons on the board with pin-point accuracy is well worth the cost.

Incubi and Grotesques are very strong cc units and make a good bodyguard for your warlord, reavers are an excellent counter to invisible units as cluster caltrops give them a HoW attack that actually means something.

Ravagers are probably still your best choice for anti-tank, although scourges with haywire blasters are excellent as well (if a little fragile).

Venoms make good anti-infantry gun platforms, and they are a good way to transport trueborn blaster squads or small groups of incubi.

If you're running covens the Talos is probably the better of the two pain engines and represents a solid mid-range combat MC

If you want a plane, take the razorwing, the void Raven does look amazing but the rules make it almost unplayable.

In my view: wyches, hellions, the archon and void Raven are terrible units and should never see the light of day, I'm personally not too keen on wracks either but they're not objectively dreadful like the other units mentioned.

flakmonkey
11-06-2016, 20:43
If you're goin CAD, I would recommend Lhamean, 2 squads of warriors (5 man) and all 3 units mounted in Venoms. Shooty and cheap.
Formation wise, a Grotesquerie is rather good. Single Haemonculus, 2 squads of Grots and 2 Raiders. But no real DE in it.

What's a good HQ?
Lhamean is popular. At 10 points she's hard to beat.
A Succubus is good when decked out with Archite Glaive (AP2) and the Armour of Misery. However she needs a squad to provide support.

Venoms. And whatever fits inside it cheaply.
Reaver Jetbikes with Cluster Caltrops.
Razorwings with Dark Lances.
In all honesty, DE other very little that Eldar can't do better.

Voidraven, Wyches, Hellions, Mandrakes.

Chevron_Locked
11-06-2016, 22:02
Cool, cheers guys! It's a shame about the Hellions as I've always liked the look of them (they at least look like they should do some damage). I've come across AOM before its LD debuff seems handy. So Succubus it is then. I like the sound of Scourges, having played space elves most part of my life I reckon can handle some fragile units. I've heard the Chronos can be good what do they bring to the table (No pun Iintended)?

flakmonkey
12-06-2016, 08:25
Try out the Dark Artisan formation. 1 talos, 1 cronos and 1 haemonculus in a single unit. Use a webway portalto get them right in there. If haemon is your warlord, he gets a fixed trait too.

Chevron_Locked
12-06-2016, 16:05
That does sound cool, do those units have decent ranged attacks though or abilities? Figure since they'd have to wait around a turn before getting their teeth in.

flakmonkey
12-06-2016, 21:42
Talos comes stock with a twin-linked Splinter Cannon, which can be upgraded to a Heatlance, Haywire Blaster or stinger pod. Xan also replace it's CCW witha Liqufier gun, but its fairly average (S3, random AP)
Cronos comes with a Spirit Syphon (S3 AP3 Template) and can be upgraded with a Spirit Vortex (S3 AP3 Large Blast). But you'd be better off taking a Spirit Probe to improve your FNP rolls for the unit.