PDA

View Full Version : eBay enough for buying and selling 40k stuff?

Latro_
15-06-2016, 11:34
Move thread if needed.

I know there is bartertown the forum for trading/getting models but that site has always seemed a bit old hat to me...

I'm thinking of starting a website which'll be free to list 40k models/armies for trade which will very much look and act a bit like eBay but just allow hobbyists to contact each other to buy/trade as to avoid the listing fees ebay imposes. Upload pics, description contact details etc... very much kinda sitting in the middle of bater town and ebay.

Wondered if you guys think this would be any use to you or are you happy with eBay? I'm gonna probably focus it on a lot of 40k stuff i wanna get rid of but if there is an interest i'll pop a user account level onto it for others to list out their stuff...

Tokamak
15-06-2016, 12:24
I'm happy with Ebay, I bought lots of stuff and never had a bad experience. However when it comes to Warhammer it matters where you live. If you're located in the US it's awesome as that's where most of the buyers and sellers are. People are making a real business out of selling bits or 'commission' pieces.

But anywhere else then transport costs and import duty starts to drastically reduce your choice.

Bookwrak
16-06-2016, 08:32
Bartertown, Ebay, Craigslist... If you're going to start a website, to be successful, you're going to have to have some value-added feature that makes it better than all of those. What are you going to offer that all the other online sources don't? For example, I've done quite a bit of selling, and buying on ebay, and trading over Bartertown, and have had good experiences all around. What are you going to offer that makes me want to change?

blackcherry
16-06-2016, 10:47
I'm thinking of starting a website which'll be free to list 40k models/armies for trade which will very much look and act a bit like eBay but just allow hobbyists to contact each other to buy/trade as to avoid the listing fees ebay imposes. Upload pics, description contact details etc... very much kinda sitting in the middle of bater town and ebay.

Wondered if you guys think this would be any use to you or are you happy with eBay? I'm gonna probably focus it on a lot of 40k stuff i wanna get rid of but if there is an interest i'll pop a user account level onto it for others to list out their stuff...

Isn't that just facebook these days? There are enough groups that revolve around trading/selling model bits. What ebay offers is the paypal connection (safety for your purchases in case you get screwed), convenience and a large user base.

Now if you manage to get a large enough user base and some sort of USP, your site idea seems like it is viable. But you also have to figure out what market. As Tokamak pointed out, outside of America, there isn't really a large central bits/second hand model retailer.

Elbows of Death
16-06-2016, 17:14
Yeah, the site needs to offer something...and I frikkin' hate ebay, but it's the easiest and fastest way to offload stuff (their rates and charges are criminal though). There are trade sections on every major forum I go to. You'd have to have something special...and if it went successful you'd have a lot of work keeping up with it. People might get mad if they get ripped off and try to hold the site accountable, etc.

Beppo1234
18-06-2016, 13:24
IMO, the page is irrelevant... it's the number of users behind it and subsequently the access to a wide variety of bits that matters IMO.

Grimgold
21-06-2016, 20:36
You would need to do something novel to get off of the ground, because you would start with effectively zero users. You could for instance scrape Ebay, bartertown, amazon, miniature market, and craigslist to allow users to search one place for the miniatures they want, and for those sites that have affiliate programs (amazon and ebay I think) get a few cents for directing users to them. Once you have a user base you can start hosting your own auctions, which of course would get top billing on user searches. Too small of a market for VC funds, so you'd have to bootstrap yourself, but that means all of the spoils are yours, at least until you get sued by three patent trolls claiming they have a patent on mixed commerce sites. The next thing you know your washing windshields in SF for food money, sleeping under a bridge, and using skype at starbucks to pitch your next big idea. Welcome to the American dream smells like Windex and frappes.

ashc
21-06-2016, 20:47
I'm a member of a facebook group called Wargaming Trading. It is exactly this. It currently has over 10,000 members...