PDA

View Full Version : How to keep track of kickstarters and third party releases?

TheBearminator
23-06-2016, 00:54
I love buying, painting and playing using other companies miniatures. I play Orks and IG and so I'm happy to have a wide range of non GW miniatures to choose from. My Leman Russes are Mortian battle tanks. My tauroxes are gonna be Dreamforge Games APCs. My Ork biker boss is a maxmini model. My Meganobs and tankbustas are Kromlech. My looted wagons, trukks, koptas and mek guns are Puppetswar. A buggy is from Miniatures Scenery.

I pledged quite heavily in the Green Alliance kickstarter and I'm looking forward to adding them to my collection. I'm always looking for new Ork stuff.

And after this long introduction. Where can I keep track of interesting manufacturers and Kickstarters for 40k. I mean, they're not in the news and rumors section on warseer for example, since they're not officially 40k stuff.

williamsond
23-06-2016, 09:59
I get a lot of stuff for my squats from 2nd party and alternative miniature companies, I find that the Squat face book group is an excellent resource, I'm not saying this would be much good for you but maybe there's a face book group out there for you. The warhammer proxies group is good for finding alternative models for 40k too.

blackcherry
23-06-2016, 10:44
The way I keep track is via sites like Tabletop Gaming News, which tend to get a good mixture of news. It can't catch them all, but as its a large site, it's in the interest of those who are promoting new kickstarters/model releases to sent it to them.

Denny
23-06-2016, 10:47
Dakkadakka is pretty good for posting new Kickstarters.

TheBearminator
23-06-2016, 11:37
Thanks guys! Maybe there's an Ork Facebook group that matches my needs?

Are there any other 28 heroic scale sources of IG-ish stuff? Could fancy a closed compartment wyvern for example.

Zywus
23-06-2016, 13:14
This blog seem to catch most releases: ttfix.blogspot.com

IG compatible stuff in particular has quite a lot of places selling it (mostly infantry though). On the top of my head apart from those you mentioned I can recall MadRobot, Victoria miniatures, Curious Constructs and Anvil Indutries.

williamsond
23-06-2016, 13:18
Ramshackle games is a great 3rd party producer that do a lot of weird and wonderful (heroic)28mm scale vehicles and random models, you may find something to your liking there. I ender up buying 5 of their drilling machines to use as drop pods for my squats.

Some thing like this would be great as a wyvern http://shop.ramshacklegames.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_id=408

TheBearminator
23-06-2016, 23:12
I've had business with Ramshackle Games. Some of their stuff is adorable. I've been considering buying some of their smaller tanks and use as grot tanks.

blackcherry
24-06-2016, 10:03
Ramshackle Games are a very good little company, if a little flash heavy at times due to the casting method used. After chatting to Curtis, he manages to have such good pieces at low costs because he gets the casting done on the cheap in Spain.

TheBearminator
24-06-2016, 19:48
Ramshackle Games are a very good little company, if a little flash heavy at times due to the casting method used. After chatting to Curtis, he manages to have such good pieces at low costs because he gets the casting done on the cheap in Spain.
He's a nice chap. It's nice to be able to email with the guy behind the miniatures. It's not like I would ever have the same contact with anyone important at GW.

TheBearminator
27-06-2016, 00:58
Cowabunga! I found another site! Modelsandminis.com. Some nice grot tanks, a four legged killa kan and so on. Enjoy!

Mega Nutz
27-06-2016, 11:35
Another site for 'alternative' ork designs.... http://wargameexclusive.com/product-category/orks/,

They do some great Tau sculpts and their 'limo's' would be ideal for Genestealer cults.

Tokamak
27-06-2016, 14:47
I've been waiting on my Avatars of War pledge for FOUR ******** years now. Nothing yet. I'm not ever backing any crowdfunding again. There's simply no guarantee and holding money for such a long amount of time without any updates is just shameless.

blackcherry
27-06-2016, 15:04
I've been waiting on my Avatars of War pledge for FOUR ******** years now. Nothing yet. I'm not ever backing any crowdfunding again. There's simply no guarantee and holding money for such a long amount of time without any updates is just shameless.

Which kickstarter with that? AoW are one of those companies that have run a few now and it's hard to keep track...

As for crowdfunding campaigns, I've always approached it as another form of gambling - you are investing in an idea and very rarely a promise or guarantee of delivery. I only ever invest what I could afford to lose if I never get the rewards.

Still, they seem to be doing well enough for a small company. Here's hoping they don't go the way of many other miniature companies like Alien Dungeon.

Zywus
27-06-2016, 16:16
Is it the dwarf KS you are waiting on?

They've basically said that there is no plan to make any of the models from that one that were not released (other than a vague 'never say never, maybe sometime in the future').
If so the best thing is to cash in your pledge in the stuff that get made and just never buy anything from AoW direct (or pre-order) in the future. Find someone stocking their stuff and buy it from there.

The fault isn't in crowdfunding as such but with creators promising stuff they can't deliver. In hindsight, the AoW KS raised a lot of flags and it was pretty clear they got greedy/overconfident when the money started rolling in and started to add stretchgoals like they were candy.

TheBearminator
27-06-2016, 20:00
Another site for 'alternative' ork designs.... http://wargameexclusive.com/product-category/orks/,

They do some great Tau sculpts and their 'limo's' would be ideal for Genestealer cults.
Yeah, I forgot Wargame Exclusive. They do some really great stuff and their casting is clean as a whistle. I have some mecha squigs and one of their fancy cars. They're pretty expensive though. The cars ridiculously so, if you consider their small size.

You've got my sympathies. I bought my pledge in the Green Alliance kickstarter from a fellow Swede long after the funding was finished. It has taken them years, but now they've started shipping so I hope I'll get my stuff as well. I would lie if I said I didn't have my doubts.