PDA

View Full Version : the psychology of painting

Rabbitden
27-06-2016, 16:22
Hello everyone, I was talking to a few gamers at the club recently and we got chatting about how often we get to paint our miniatures. We found that if we weren't able to paint on a regular basis we often got grumpy and moody. We all have busy lives (kids, other halves, jobs, other hobbies etc) but found that in the short term, if we were unable to paint we'd all begin to get grumpy, jittery and in some cases 'almost a sense of loss'.

I was just wondering if anyone else felt similar negative feelings if they are unable to paint for whatever reasons?

ColShaw
27-06-2016, 16:39
Absolutely. I find it soothing and relaxing.

Coldhatred
27-06-2016, 17:08
I am the same way. It grounds me and gives me a project to work through from start to finish. Probably why I keep coming back for more!

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

The Pounder
27-06-2016, 19:07
Yep, I feel the same way!
I find the sense of completion I get after finishing a
model to be very addictive.
I have a young family so my painting time is precious,
I usually get about an hour a day that's mine.
I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Rabbitden
27-06-2016, 20:38
glad to hear the responses. I too have a young family so painting time is very precious. I'm lucky if I get 4 hours a week so when I finish a project its a great sense of achievement. I do however get down in the dumps when I can't ever seem to get round to painting... It's time to clean the house again. It's the childrens parents evening at their nursery. The grass on the lawn is over the 2 inch regulation height!! I get especially grumpy when it is taking me 3 weeks to finish basing one of my flyers (my current obstacle)!

Tokamak
27-06-2016, 22:09
After I graduated I had no real sense of purpose. So I started finishing my orc army. Took me a few months, my money was running out and my parents were getting really anxious. But I had to finish this orc army. My parents thought it was escapism and me not wanting to face the harsh reality of adult life. But I needed the painting session for my mind to settle down and just rest in all the options.

Many fellow students went for a travel year. I love travelling but not as a means of contemplation. I don't think any student ever came back from a hectic journey across several countries and festivals with a solid clue of what to do next. Not to mention the financial setback it would cause. Travel seems to have the opposite purpose, to shake things up, to get out of a rut, IE the last thing any fresh graduate needs.

Anyway.

So now I've got my own business and It's working out great. I'm not making bank but it's definitely able to keep growing steadily. I can even deduct tax from expensive stuff like airbrushes and cameras because I could plausibly need them professionally at some point.

Hobby projects like Warhammer are a way for me to untangle this creative knot that keeps growing in me whenever I can't express it. I think I'd be in a much worse place right now if I hadn't been able to just paint for a couple of months. I shudder at the thought of me going straight into a interviews, traineeships or a job back when I had that scattered mind, I'd probably be in therapy by now.

Necrontyr
27-06-2016, 22:49
I hate painting, and I'm also terrible at it. I do get a nice sense of satisfaction though from getting units completed.

Tokamak
27-06-2016, 22:59
If I didn't know better I'd say that necron blog is made by someone incredibly passionate about the hobby side of 40k.

Necrontyr
27-06-2016, 23:43
I am a pretty big fan of converting and building armies...

Elbows of Death
28-06-2016, 00:41
I don't enjoy painting, but I don't hate it. I can power through it because I love finished units. I get a little anxious when I can't paint for long stints of time, mainly because I feel I'll lose my touch and have to warm back up to it when I return. There is definitely some fun in bringing something from bare metal to a complete, painted, based miniature.

infamousme
28-06-2016, 01:27
Earlier this year i had a 3 month stint where i couldn't paint.... I was losing my *********** mind. My zen place is at my desk, slowly getting stoned and binge painting for hours.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Bookwrak
28-06-2016, 02:29
I don't particulalry enjoy painting, nor do I miss it when I'm not painting, except for the fact of thinking, 'I gotta finish that model before I can field it' which has extended to months at a time. If I don't motivate myself to keep painting regularely, it just stops.

DYoung
28-06-2016, 09:00
I get anxious when I'm not painting as it becomes more and more apparent that I'll never get through the increasingly large mountain of plastic in my closet.

Bergioyn
28-06-2016, 09:15
As a quick background, I'm a horrible painter. To make it worse my main two hobby buddies are both excellent painters, despite one of them having been in the hobby roughly as long as I, and the other less.

Now, I don't love painting per se (I do love finished units though), but I've found something that has lead me to enjoy it. That something is dipping. Whereas painting used to be something of a chore before, it's not anymore because my painting skills are generally speaking sufficient to turn up decent enough (for me) results when combined with dipping (not even near the level of those two buddies of mine but anyway) that I can be happy with them instead of getting a constant feeling of "ugh" from them, like I used to.

Denny
28-06-2016, 11:14
The enjoyment I get from painting varies; I hate when I start because it looks awful, I love the bit at the end when the model has come together and I'm just doing a spot of detail here and there.

I can't say I paint for relaxation, but if I'm not painting I get twitchy; I hate half finished projects and know that my stuff is sitting there, unpainted with no progress being made . . .

. . . Dang it, I have stuff I need to finish.

Rabbitden
28-06-2016, 12:58
Hi Denny, I know what you mean. For me it's that half-way-through stage when all the base coats are done, the washes have dried leaving the model looking a bit dark/muddy and they look pretty naff. Its at this stage when I think I've ballsed up a 30 model. When the highlights go on and the model looks a lot tidier I think - Phew, it's going to be OK!

Painting is such a rollercoaster of emotions - It's a wonder I'm not a nervous wreck!

Denny
28-06-2016, 14:00
Hi Denny, I know what you mean. For me it's that half-way-through stage when all the base coats are done, the washes have dried leaving the model looking a bit dark/muddy and they look pretty naff. Its at this stage when I think I've ballsed up a 30 model. When the highlights go on and the model looks a lot tidier I think - Phew, it's going to be OK!

I hear you. I'm working on a +100 kickstarter model right now.
Despite the fact that all I've done is stuck on the first basecoat I'm already convinced it is a disaster.
Just need to keep going until I get to the 'actually this might work' point . . .

blackcherry
28-06-2016, 15:56
I really dislike painting. A lot! But seeing a unit or an army finished is quite rewarding mentally and it makes me feel less terrible every time I walk past my pile of unpainted minis.

I much prefer the assembling or converting myself. That's my 'relaxation time'.

Beppo1234
01-07-2016, 14:07
I call it mental decompression... and finding painting to be a really good way to procrastinate during exams and studying to allow all that learned information to be absorbed.

stroller
01-07-2016, 22:59
I get mildly irritated that my painting takes forever, once every six months or so. While I prefer to field painted models, I'm not going to worry too much about it.

Marshal
02-07-2016, 01:45
I dislike painting a ton. I love assembling models, I love converting models, but I really really hate painting, especially when it's a single model needed to finish a unit. Characters I love though, especially nicely converted up ones, I don't even mind doing up a squad at a time. I really enjoyed painting my first imperial knight, though my second one is still plastic grey and my third one is mostly done, and my fourth is also that lovely plastic grey... :/

jason_sation
04-07-2016, 18:19
My wife had I have a two month old. It took me a couple days to even assemble everything I got recently in the Warhammer Quest Silver Tower box set. I have no idea how long it will take me paint it all. I was hoping to have it all done before my friends and I play the second adventure, but I'm thinking I'll be lucky if I have the heroes painted! I only really get in a bad mood if I'm planning to paint something, and find that time disrupted. I wanted to start painting earlier this weekend, but I'm just now getting around to it. (4th of July and it's rainy so I'm just sitting around painting when he naps.) The hardest part is finding the time to go to the store if I find I'm missing something (was all set to paint the white skulls on my Darkoath Chieftain and found out my white had dried up).

Propo Fol
06-07-2016, 04:39
I definitely find painting, most of the time, relaxing and quite rewarding/pleasurable. In hindsight, when I was younger and new to the hobby I definitely disliked painting and just felt it was a nuisance standing between me and the actual game. Now I think I definitely prefer painting and find it is what keeps bringing me back (although being able to actually play and show off those models I'm spending all that time on is important!)

I am actually pretty hopelessly colorblind -- and the greatest STRESS from painting for me comes in figuring out color schemes. I don't know if it is just me or this is normal, but painting new models, armies, etc just stresses me out to no end! I have no idea what color is supposed to go with what, no confidence anything I choose will look good vs. stupid, etc. I basically cannot paint a new model, especially in a new army, without my wife or someone else to give me constant feedback. It makes me gravitate to simple, sort of traditionally less colorful armies (necrons, undead, etc). I literally write down step by step instructions on how I paint a given model because these 3 pots of blue (and that 4th pot of purple) look identical to me, but apparently look quite different to everyone else when i accidentally switch them! I literally cannot imagine just picking up and painting a group of unrelated models (ie like the WQ:ST box), it'd be a very poor stress to enjoyment ratio!

Gdolkin
07-07-2016, 14:52
Earlier this year i had a 3 month stint where i couldn't paint.... I was losing my *********** mind. My zen place is at my desk, slowly getting stoned and binge painting for hours.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk
I'm with this guy. Alone in my room for hours, til 4 in the morning, treating myself to a doobie when all the base coats are done, while the wash dries, just before i do the final glints in the eyes :) My hands and eyes are working together to create something unique, bringing grey plastic to life, my ears passively soak up the radio and my brain shuts the hell up, I am reduced to nothing but love for the hobby and creativity with just enough discipline and self-control.. Nirvana.

Tokamak
09-07-2016, 17:20
I am actually pretty hopelessly colorblind -- and the greatest STRESS from painting for me comes in figuring out color schemes. I don't know if it is just me or this is normal, but painting new models, armies, etc just stresses me out to no end! I have no idea what color is supposed to go with what, no confidence anything I choose will look good vs. stupid, etc. I basically cannot paint a new model, especially in a new army, without my wife or someone else to give me constant feedback. It makes me gravitate to simple, sort of traditionally less colorful armies (necrons, undead, etc). I literally write down step by step instructions on how I paint a given model because these 3 pots of blue (and that 4th pot of purple) look identical to me, but apparently look quite different to everyone else when i accidentally switch them! I literally cannot imagine just picking up and painting a group of unrelated models (ie like the WQ:ST box), it'd be a very poor stress to enjoyment ratio!

I figure it's down to severity and type of colourblindness but there's quite a famous ork army painted by a colourblind painter. Ironically his army is an explosion of colours.

Snake Tortoise
09-07-2016, 22:52
I have mixed feelings. I enjoy painting the relatively fast stages like basecoating, a quick glaze, a wash etc., but I abhor drybrushing large areas of models or highlighting- to the point where I now base my colour schemes around minimising those things. The worst are my Alpha Legion- I went with a scheme that involves extremely tedious line highlighting on the blue armour, and it takes forever. Hold the models at arms length and you can't even see those highlights. I stupidly decided to plug away at it but soon lost motivation completely. I'm going back to them with a far simpler idea in mind and that's giving me the motivation to get going again

Samsonov
09-07-2016, 23:19
I paint almost entirely for mental health reasons. I have severe psychological issues which often result in very heavy periods of depression. Pretty much the most successful means of dealing with this is stopping thinking. This primarily means an audiobook (or occasionally a film, podcast, youtube, etc), spoken word which then stops my head thinking. I reinforce this through painting, it means my head is further engaged on something other than thinking. Ultimately, dealing with these issues is 90% the audiobook and 10% the painting, but it helps. I'm not so bad nowadays but there has been a six year period where 75%+ evenings and weekends was audiobook plus painting, resulting in owning hundreds of painted models which I've never had a game with.

Losing Command
10-07-2016, 02:52
Painting models is what got me into this hobby, and is the reason I'm still in it. And definitely have a lot more trouble staying positive after a long period of not having painted anything.

Constantly being interrupted whilst I'm painting is the worst. I'm ready to help with whatever close to all the time, but when I just mixed some colours and have a model and brush in hand leave me alone. Being interrupted during that might be the only way to really get me frustrated.

dugaal
10-07-2016, 04:40
Just begun a Renegades and Heretics army... and I hate painting! I build and convert the first 50 like "Yes! progress! motivation!" then time to paint...*wall*

I do my best painting when I have some RL thing I should probably be doing instead. Laundry? ohhh well looks like I'm too busy painting right now for that! Suddenly painting is a fascinating task

Seriously I think alot of the frustration of painting can be alleviated by understanding how posture/materials setup/brush handling works. Lately I lean back, only the model and the brush in my hands, very relaxed pose. Not worried about bad posture or correcting my posture every 5 seconds. WET PALETTE/paper towel/water jug within arms reach.
Secondly watching youtube videos and focussing on how to actually use the brush on the model can help prevent brush problems and bent brushes, and can prevent frustration with more error-prone colors as they are applied. The resentment of ruined brushes and dried pots and fast drying palettes can give the impression painting is more frustrating then it has to be. Smarter painting is more rewarding painting!

anselminus
10-07-2016, 09:19
Personally i spend large periods without paint, but there is always a moment when I do paint. After I cheat a bit by painting my minis by other people , but I always keep minis for my personal pleasure when I have time .

H3L!X
10-07-2016, 09:47
I don't enjoy painting, but I don't hate it. I can power through it because I love finished units. I get a little anxious when I can't paint for long stints of time, mainly because I feel I'll lose my touch and have to warm back up to it when I return. There is definitely some fun in bringing something from bare metal to a complete, painted, based miniature.
Thats how i feel towards painting too.

Often i have phases i am going through.
First: Motivating me.
Second: Start Painting and keep going for a few days/weeks.

Usually something happens here what stops me from painting for a while.

Third: trying to get back to finish the job...

Also i paint a lot for other people. That stops me doing progress on my own army...something i want to change.

MaliGn
11-07-2016, 20:28
Like many of you I have limited time with family, work and all that, so I have limited time available for painting etc, but on the other hand I can have a lengthy hiatus from painting without getting as jittery as some of you. I do find that when I am stressed it can be a nice relief from my various other stresses and responsibilities.

Lars Porsenna
11-07-2016, 21:05
I find painting gives me a zen-like state of mind, and when I can get super-focused on a project and churn things out, it is a special moment for me. That being said,a situation cropped up this weekend. I wanted to get down to the workbench and churn on a few projects, but the kids were really acting up, fighting over the computer, so the wife decided we should take the little one to the park to keep her separated from her sister (who was with my dad at the time). So that nixed my hobby ambitions for the afternoon! Made me a bit grumpy as I really wanted to finish up a small bit of a project I am working on, now it will have to wait a few more days until I can get the finishing touches done.

In the end, while I enjoy the painting, the constant progress and satisfaction of completing a project does quite a bit for my mental health!

Damon.

MDSW
13-07-2016, 21:18
I am totally with @Elbows of Death. I get through it because I love the aspect of the unit being done and then can sit back and admire it. I am sure we all love the attention someone gives to us when they say how great it looks, but mostly, it is painted just for myself. This 'self-actualization' is important for me, as I do not need any outside feedback but can look at the work and say to myself, "Hey, this looks great!" This makes me feel much better when done.

I am a very creative person by nature, so having a creative outlet is very important and if I do not create something I can 'self-actualize' over, then I do get crazy. Unfortunately for my armies (and especially the still grey ones), most of my creative outlet gets put into home improvement projects. Yes, not so good for my armies, but great for my house!!:D

Elbows of Death
13-07-2016, 22:38
I'll add to my above post there is very much a "finish this and I won't have to paint it again..." feeling. I recently painted up 40 old metal Eldar Guardians...and I was mostly motivated by the "get them out of the way and be done!". It's always easy to go back and add one or two additional guys, etc. But with a quality army with a decent paintjob, I've no plans to sell my current Eldar army I've been building for six months. This means as units are completed...that's it. I won't have to paint another squad of X, Y or Z. The Avatar is a good example. Hated painting it, no real idea how...ended up with a wonky scheme. BUT...he's done. No more painting Avatars.

Another small bit of psychology for me...3-5 minis max at a time. I don't assemble...I don't base...I don't prime any more than I'm going to actually sit and do. I might prime a group of three and a group of four alongside each other, but you'll never sit down at your painting desk with 50 Imperial Guard troopers primed and sitting on the desk. It looks formidable and will overwhelm you when you have those small urges to paint. Keep it realistic. Maybe only prime 2-3 figures. You walk by the painting desk and see those two figures and you're far more prone to think "I could paint those guys tonight (or this weekend, etc.)". Don't set yourself up for failure by assembling and priming a whole army - unless you're really motivated to paint!

Rabbitden
14-07-2016, 09:20
I'd like to chime in again. The past few weeks have been slow on the painting front. I hadn't picked up a brush in over 3 weeks but then real life 'slowed down' and this week I've managed to paint every night! I can't tell you the difference this has made to my mood. I'm one happy chappy again. Also, like Elbows of Death said - don't overwhelm yourself. I've bought a whole necron force in one block (3000pts) but I'm only assembling one unit at a time. Once it is painted, I rummage under my bed for the next unit to paint.

This helps in two ways. 1, I saved money by buying in bulk from a discount store. 2, I'm not over-faced by a sea of grey plastic and once a unit is complete, I get the 'newly purchased' feel when I drag another box of shrink wrapped toys from under the bed.

lordbeefy
14-07-2016, 10:46
I adore painting. I game very little since having kids. As they get older I am starting to game with them and one of them is starting her first army.

I paint every opportunity I get. I have music or Netflix on in the background and it is part of chilling my brain out and relaxing. If I didn't have a paintbrush session at least once a week I think that I would start to suffer from stress related illness. Everything else fades away when I have a model and a brush in my hand!