PDA

View Full Version : Starting Militarum Tempestus

Coldhatred
28-06-2016, 18:18
Hello all,

I have been away from Warhammer 40,000 for quite some time, but I have always enjoyed the background. I decided to start up an army, and I like the look and feel of the Militarum Tempestus. What do I need to know as a new player starting out? Are there any pitfalls that should be avoided when collecting and building this army? Any other advice?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

coldsteel
28-06-2016, 22:02
get the Get Started box sets, they're a helluva deal.

TheBearminator
28-06-2016, 23:35
get the Get Started box sets, they're a helluva deal.
Helluva deal. Clever rewriting to get past the language censorship. :)

Tempestus is probably one of the most limited forces in the game, but a cool one. I like to picture my over equiped veteran army as the best damn soldiers in the Galaxy. A super elite army with human standards. I could easily see myself playing tempestus, for the same reason. The real human elite, moving forward in fast armoured transports on ground and in the air.

Tokamak
28-06-2016, 23:50
They're limited because they're mainly intended to be an auxiliary force that you can attach to many other armies.

Bingo the Fun Monkey
29-06-2016, 01:10
How important is that taurox transport?

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

TheBearminator
29-06-2016, 07:29

Don't think it's essential, as you can take Valkyries instead. But if you, like me, don't like the model, find some kit that you like. I'm gonna use Dreamforge Games APCs.

AngryAngel
29-06-2016, 08:47
They're limited because they're mainly intended to be an auxiliary force that you can attach to many other armies.

They are still there and able to used as a full on army, the reasons why they are limited is a little needless. I mean honestly any battle brother army being a little lean is no real concern in the time of formations and limitless FoC choices.

They can work well enough as a stand alone force but I'd not run them higher then around 1,000 pts, beyond that the limited nature of their choices can bite you as they get weaker at high pts while your opponents army gets stronger with more potent and more numerous choices.

Having run them without the Taurox, I can say the transport is utterly needed for them. With only a valk on the field they have limited shooting that isn't very close range or very easy to stop ( The MT troopers themselves ). I tried to use them without the Taurox primes, but the primes give you highly mobile if squishy firepower support. The gatling cannon can thin out hordes from a safer distance, as well as ML being a fairly rounded out choice, and auto cannons are very good to have to pop other light vehicles and trasnports, like them. Also it gives more forces on the ground if your going to deep strike most of your MT troops, which you'll want to as they don't hold up well in gun lines and their special weapons need very close range to make any kind of impact.

I'd say 2 or 3 Taurox would serve them well with at least a couple valks for air transport and support, and from there you'll need to get a lot of use for their specials ( flamers for hordes, plasmas for MC and elite infantry , and meltas obviously for tanks, MCs and elite infantry. Forget about grenade launchers, they are trash on such expensive specialized troops.

The army can do well at around 1000 pts, 1250 pts there about. Past that point they kind of need allies to fill the holes in their game plan. Having them, and playing them, they are a fun and very by the seat of your pants army. Difficult to try and win with as your strategy can easy to telegraph and a lot of it comes down to when deep striking.

Want an army that is fun to play, by no means point and click and favors luck driven finesse ? You'll enjoy them, want an easy win and army without weakness ? This is far from that.

I'd suggest you get the get started box with them, its a pretty good savings and gives you all things you'll be happy to have, if it wasn't for the commissar I'd say 2 boxes is great. Maybe you know someone who wants an extra commissar ?

Don't think it's essential, as you can take Valkyries instead. But if you, like me, don't like the model, find some kit that you like. I'm gonna use Dreamforge Games APCs.

I have to disagree they are absolutely essential you need ground forces and the troops don't live long being shot at on their own. They offer the longer range fire power that they lack much of, and a valk doesn't give any real light anti tank fire power to handle transports or the like. Anti troop a valk is pretty good for with the rocket pods.

Trust me on this and I can say, the Taurox looks way better in person then in pics, that paint scheme used on it is trash.

Coldhatred
29-06-2016, 14:09
Thanks for all of the great advice! My hobby is fueled by look and feel of an army, so being hard to win with doesn't bother me too much.

I plan on striking out into other Imperial forces eventually so it sort of negates the long run tactical gaps problem.

What, for the sake of learning, would make a good complement to the Militarum Tempestus?

coldsteel
29-06-2016, 15:07
The Taurox options gives you heavy weapons the troop are lacking.

coldsteel
29-06-2016, 15:08
And maybe add a platoon of Guard (formation in the Cadia book) for a firebase element.

TheBearminator
29-06-2016, 19:18
I have to disagree they are absolutely essential you need ground forces and the troops don't live long being shot at on their own. They offer the longer range fire power that they lack much of, and a valk doesn't give any real light anti tank fire power to handle transports or the like. Anti troop a valk is pretty good for with the rocket pods.

I won't object to that. Actually it sounds very reasonable. The stormies themselves are also very short ranged. And the Valkyries don't come with the Vendetta upgrade option.

AngryAngel
30-06-2016, 07:53
Thanks for all of the great advice! My hobby is fueled by look and feel of an army, so being hard to win with doesn't bother me too much.

I plan on striking out into other Imperial forces eventually so it sort of negates the long run tactical gaps problem.

What, for the sake of learning, would make a good complement to the Militarum Tempestus?

Honestly if you like army feel about any imperial force can match with them well. Maybe a touch of guard that are brought along as bodies to let them get the job done or bring some heavy tanks, sounds fluffy to me. Perhaps they are the expendable forces brought along to aid a Skittari force that is just about to strike an enemy strong point to acquire a relic or target for interrogation who knows where the tech can be found, very fluffy. A force that can move near as fast as marines to augment lower marine numbers while operation in a way to synergize better with them then the crude tool of the Imperial guard standard forces, sounds good to me.

The only ally imperial force I don't really put them is the knights, as they just strike me as cheesy and less interesting. For me, I run them mostly on their own, with some back story for their mission in my mind. However I have a small ad mech force for running with them as the Skittari, and Cult Mech can give some more of that much needed fire power to the list while still being a flavorful force, looking good and feeling a bit squishy ( if given chance they can shoot and hit damn hard but don't do well in taking the fire back so you really need to pick targets well. )

Also, I have some imperial assassins, for if they are needed to strike a VIP with the surgical assault of the MT Troops sowing some chaos and opening up an avenue for the operative to hit unseen.

Really they are a very good force for narrative battles and you can pull up a lot of reasons why they'd ally with anyone.

Of course eventually I'd get some more bog standard guard to run with them as they can both be used with one another, either them as their own force with guard back up and Guard as primary force and them as just a part of the whole force.

Sorry I can't be more help, but if you wanted to run them as smaller elite force, I'd pick the Ad Mech forces with them or the assassins as well, as your adding only a few models depending on what units you want and they look awesome as well.

I won't object to that. Actually it sounds very reasonable. The stormies themselves are also very short ranged. And the Valkyries don't come with the Vendetta upgrade option.

Exactly, at first I didn't want to use the transports either, but after running them without and with, they have a chance with, but without they just lack any kind of fire support which hurts a lot. If you'll run another army with them to handle that long range fire power problem, you could run without them, but I think they are necessary if you want to run them as a solo force at all.

Fithos
30-06-2016, 21:28
Personally I would run either the cadian air formation or an air supremacy detachment of vendettas to fill the gap but if you are just trying to play combined arms you will need some taurox.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

TheBearminator
30-06-2016, 23:08
No one has ever painted that many Vendettas and lived to tell the tale.

Coldhatred
01-07-2016, 16:54
Lots of good food for thought. I appreciate all the further advice you guys have thrown my way. Thanks!

AngryAngel
01-07-2016, 20:55
Good luck and hope it goes well. My own force is already almost done being painted the 54th Psion Jackals from the codex. Simple yet grim dark, they are coming out really nice.

coldsteel
05-07-2016, 17:11
NP, Coldhatred. Building a platoon of these guys myself; got most of them resin-cast from old Kasrkin pewters...