PDA

View Full Version : Would you buyed suppliment sprues for Warhammer Fantasy?

herjan1987
30-06-2016, 04:33
This was bugging me a lot since I started to purchase Warhammer models. Since most of the time you have left overs on the sprues, which would look nice on another mini, why not not use it all with suppliment sprues, which would have been bodies only to buster your forces. Something among lines of the snapfit skeleton warrior and orc boy kits just without weapons. Please insert your votes and ideas here.

Geep
30-06-2016, 06:07
This is the role many eBay bits sellers fill. If it were a 'proper' sprue made solely for this purpose, I'd have some interest, but the retail price would undoubtedly be way too high (it's a sprue intended to parasitise the sale of other sprues- it couldn't be made too attractive in price).

Tokamak
30-06-2016, 10:23
Yes. Infantry bulk kits with no options and then have supplement kits separately. Can even be finecrap for all I care. WFB could've been so beautiful.

DarthSte
30-06-2016, 12:01
I used BitzBox and BattleWagonBitz quite a bit, when I used to play, get the torso/legs from there and use sprue leftovers to make more models.

herjan1987
30-06-2016, 15:47
This is the role many eBay bits sellers fill. If it were a 'proper' sprue made solely for this purpose, I'd have some interest, but the retail price would undoubtedly be way too high (it's a sprue intended to parasitise the sale of other sprues- it couldn't be made too attractive in price).

You didnt understand me, then. I will give you an example:

You have got the Dwarf Warriior sprue. 4 warriors on each sprue + 2 unused heads. You got 8 unused heads in total, which you could use with a suppliment sprue to field with the other left overs of the main kits weapon sprue to create 8 more.
Okay GW wont sell another box of Warriors, but he will sell more products.

Or the best example is the Dwarf Longbeard/Hammer kit. For 1 box of that kit they can sell 2 more suppliment kits to mine out the maximum of the sprues

roostar86
30-06-2016, 18:58
But if they dont do that you have to buy a full other box to get more full models. If they offered supplementary boxes it would mean they sell less full boxes as people would buy supplements rather than the full box. It makes sense to do this for the customer but not for their takings

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

roostar86
30-06-2016, 18:59
You used to be able to order individual sprue and metal parts but they stopped that around 2001?

infamousme
01-07-2016, 00:28
You used to be able to order individual sprue and metal parts but they stopped that around 2001?

It was until about '06 i believe.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

eron12
01-07-2016, 02:03
That's what bits sellers are for. I can't see GW making money off the system, unless there is a sizable group of people who just want a few more of something, but won't buy another full box or use bit sellers.

herjan1987
01-07-2016, 03:09
But if they dont do that you have to buy a full other box to get more full models. If they offered supplementary boxes it would mean they sell less full boxes as people would buy supplements rather than the full box. It makes sense to do this for the customer but not for their takings

Fair enough, but then why do they still sell 4 men orc boys sets? If you buy 3 of those you get 12 minis instead of 10 minis what it the Orc boy box.

Same goes for Skeleton warriors 2 box of 5 men skeleton warriors are 10 pounds, contrary to the 10 mini box which is 15.5.

I bet the old Chaos Warrior set was an inferior value compared to the snap fit 3 men box.

Now the thing is that you would need original boxes since you would get the eqiupment from it.

Just for a last though woulndt you guys buy more stuff, if you were satisfied with the product that you are buying? I mean I feel bad when I cant use the 2/3 sprue that I bought.

stroller
01-07-2016, 08:35
Maybe ... but it depends on the kit.

I like having bits in my bits box. Heads get used up quite quickly as war trophies. In 40K there are already upgrade kits (yes I know, not quite the same). Couldn't find Orc boys in 4 pack. Did find them in 40k - BUT - the 11 pack gives you more poses: 3 x 4 boyz means you also miss out on the heavy weapons options (and, in a fantasy option, presumably musician and banner).

So - if the supplement pack had options I liked - I'd be interested, but - to get that across other buyers too - there'd have to be a wider range of bits in the pack - and then more bits I would be paying for but not using. A circle that ends in - nice idea - too expensive for me to buy and for GW to produce.

lbecks
01-07-2016, 08:42
Depends on the price

Soundwave
01-07-2016, 13:52
For sure!!! Also as companies become "greener" I am pretty sure that the sprue plastic is re-use able and that G.W. should take back basic sprue contents (eg the outer frame) for later use.
They could give a reward or not even that, just the option. I know you guys out there on "here" have shredded plastic sprues doing an entire army in a night/couple of days/week etc to find your bin filling rapidly on plastic waste (very quickly mind you). A waste that could be averted

Geep
02-07-2016, 18:31
You didnt understand me, then. I will give you an example:
I understand you perfectly- Roostar86 gets it. GW will never sell kits specifically to let you use up bits, because they want you to buy a complete, more expensive kit. They don't care about your left overs. The only way they'd sell a kit specifically to use up your bits box if it contained the same number of models at the same price as the kit it was intended to help you use bits from- at which point no one would be silly enough to buy it.

Fair enough, but then why do they still sell 4 men orc boys sets? If you buy 3 of those you get 12 minis instead of 10 minis what it the Orc boy box.

This, and the savings related to it, is the product of these snap-fit models being relics of the past now. When they were first released you could by a box of 16 Orc Boyz for $50AU (I don't know the prices in other currencies). That gave you 16 poseable models with lots of bits. You could also buy the 4 snap-fit models for $15AU. The snap-fit models were more expensive per model, with no pose ability and no options. It's only thanks to the 10 model boxes (for a price only a slight fraction less than the bigger boxes) that the snap-fit models are now actually relatively good value.

Just for a last though woulndt you guys buy more stuff, if you were satisfied with the product that you are buying? I mean I feel bad when I cant use the 2/3 sprue that I bought.
If you want 20 Spearmen and 20 Swordsmen, does having 20 swords left over after you've made your spearmen stop you buying that second box to build as swordsmen? For most people, no. You're sold a marked-up item due to the potential and range of bits, and made to feel you need multiples of it to assemble all of the options. From what I've seen of most gamers, bits boxes just gather dust in the corner- assuming people bother clipping out the unnecessary pieces at all (I gained many bits from old gaming friends because they'd just throw it all away). The number of people so bothered by the accumulating pieces that they stop purchasing would be near 0.

For some races, you can clear your own bits box a bit depending on purchases. Common goblins, for example, come with a few mounted legs and free-standing legs on their sprue- it's very easy to sculpt a goblin-sized torso and gain more models (that's how I gained crew for my scratch-built war machines). With my current High Elf project, the Archers have a lot of spare legs, and I'm hoping the Shadow Warriors box has spare torsos, or torso pieces (to make any needed sculpting easier).

herjan1987
02-07-2016, 18:41
I'm hoping the Shadow Warriors box has spare torsos, or torso pieces (to make any needed sculpting easier).

They have 2 piece torsos 1 frontal ( which uniqe for Shadow warriors and Sisters of avelorn ) and 1 cape part ( which is used for both minis ).

herjan1987
03-07-2016, 01:19
The only problem that I encounter that all the bit sales are drying up. Dont really see those parts that I would like purchase ( mainly torsos ) on the bit palette anymore.

Smooth Boy
03-07-2016, 05:37
I would have bought them but it totally depends on price, GW would want at least 50% of the cost of the original models for the supplement sprues. For this it probably wouldn't cost much more to get snapfit models, all the horde armies should have had a snapfit option for rank and file.

zoggin-eck
03-07-2016, 12:56
Would I buyed? Huh?

Seriously though, yes. As mentioned already, people essentially did this with bits sellers. I did the same thing for beastmen gors, genestealers and marines.

herjan1987
05-07-2016, 03:46
By the way anyone can point me to a place where they still sell WHFB stuff? Most of the Bitz stores I visited stop selling stuff. I would need mostly High elf and Dwarf stuff.

Horace35
05-07-2016, 09:15
For sure!!! Also as companies become "greener" I am pretty sure that the sprue plastic is re-use able and that G.W. should take back basic sprue contents (eg the outer frame) for later use.
They could give a reward or not even that, just the option. I know you guys out there on "here" have shredded plastic sprues doing an entire army in a night/couple of days/week etc to find your bin filling rapidly on plastic waste (very quickly mind you). A waste that could be averted

I use them for movement trays :)

I understand you perfectly- Roostar86 gets it. GW will never sell kits specifically to let you use up bits, because they want you to buy a complete, more expensive kit. They don't care about your left overs. The only way they'd sell a kit specifically to use up your bits box if it contained the same number of models at the same price as the kit it was intended to help you use bits from- at which point no one would be silly enough to buy it.

They won't, but maybe they should. Sometimes it is not necessary to wring every last drop and to instead build some good will with your customers.

Tokamak
05-07-2016, 09:35

Customers may end up not buying anything at all.