PDA

View Full Version : Coffee table history book?

Rabbitden
30-06-2016, 10:50
Morning everyone,
I was just wondering if there is a 'history book' on the major events that have happened in the 40K universe. Kind of like a conglomeration of the key aspects in the Horus Heresy - which Primarchs have died (and how), what were the other races upto at the time. I know each codex has their own specific background sections and the Black Library churn out fluffy novels ten-to-a-dozen but was wondering if there is a compilation of fluff anywhere in print?

I've been in the hobby for over 20 years and have quite a broad knowledge of the universe but am rusty on some of it and thought it would be great if there was a 'coffee table' book full of fluff. Nothing too heavy or indepth, just a pick up and drop overview of how things have happened.

Zywus
30-06-2016, 10:57
I believe "Visions of Heresy" is similar to the kind of thing you're looking for, although focused on 30K rather than 40K. Very coffee-table-book-ish.

Probably not much in it on the races outside the imperium but it has never been explored much what they were up to during the era of the Heresy anyway so...

Rabbitden
30-06-2016, 11:34
Thanks Zywus. That one must have slipped me by. I have 'Liber Chaotica' which is great for an insight into the dark gods. I've just googled it and it looks pretty good. Lots of artwork I've not seen before.

Tokamak
30-06-2016, 13:55
Yes. Warhammer Dark Millenium. It's part of the three book rules set. Many people are selling their copy because they just want the rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9oZGRUZ-kY

Rabbitden
30-06-2016, 14:47
Thanks Tokamak - that book looks interesting. Do you know what the other book 'A Galaxy of War' contains?

Tokamak
30-06-2016, 16:02
That book is about the miniatures.

Elbows of Death
06-07-2016, 01:46
If you want some excellent fluff books...though perhaps not proper coffee table built...look into the 2nd edition codices. Fantastic books.

Londinium
08-07-2016, 00:18
If you want some excellent fluff books...though perhaps not proper coffee table built...look into the 2nd edition codices. Fantastic books.

Some of them are very dated in terms of their fluff though. The Horus Heresy books by Forge World are the very definition of 'coffee table' but they're ultrafocused upon specific battles and also very expensive. I've long thought that GW was missing a trick in not producing a coffee table type glossy book of the history of the 40k universe but then I guess they prefer splitting it out into a dozen codexes, reducing the actual quantity of new fluff and tying it very closely to the army in question rather than providing a macro view, it makes much more money for them I guess...not that a coffee table 'macro' history of 40k would cannibalise codex sales too badly.

Elbows of Death
08-07-2016, 02:59
You say "dated" where I say "correct". :D Games Workshop wants people buying as many books as possible.

The Black Shield
08-07-2016, 04:03
As has been said before, if you want a coffee table book that has an overview of the history of the Heresy you cannot go wrong with Visions of Heresy.