PDA

View Full Version : I'm lost with AoS

anselminus
06-07-2016, 14:28
Hey!
I have stop battle since AoS, but i love Sylvaneth so i will maybe start age of sigmar.

So question are:

What buy to play Sylvaneth and start Aos? (because i'm little lost with all news and book)

I have a night goblin army (only gob), i do burn it?

Thanks to guide me please.

Folomo
06-07-2016, 15:02
If you have a gobbo army, love Sylvaneth and liked 8th edition, you could always play The 9 Age, where both are viable armies :)

StygianBeach
06-07-2016, 15:09
If you have a gobbo army, love Sylvaneth and liked 8th edition, you could always play The 9 Age, where both are viable armies :)

Or if you have an internet connection and a means to reply to forum questions, you could always answer the questions actually asked. :)

As to the OP don't burn the Gobbos!

Zywus
06-07-2016, 15:14
I'd recommend that you don't buy anything at first.

Download the free rules for your goblins (they're on the GW homepage) and try out a battle using them to see if AoS is a game you'll be interested in playing.

malisteen
06-07-2016, 15:17
The core rules are free on games workshop's webpage. They just put a new errata up there, too. There's also an 'orcs and goblins compendium' pdf with the individual unit rules for the old models that were in production when Warhammer Fantasy was retired, so they all have rules. Some of them were updated or tweaked slightly in the 'Grand Alliance: Destruction' book, which you might want to pick up. You don't need to, though, as the units whose rules were updated are still sold by GW, and their rules can be found by going to their store pages on GW's website.

All of these - the core rules, the rules for old units, and the updated rules for most of them, can be found for free on the age of sigmar android & iphone app as well.

Same for sylvaneth/tree spirit/wood elf stuff.

In addition to the freely available core rules and unit rules, there are some extra rules that you're going to want to get from the upcoming Generals Handbook - on preorder now, but not released until the end of the month. These include points values, force organization charts, and some variant rules that make the game, imo, a lot more playable. The book also includes bonus rules and items for sticking to a particular 'grand alliance' - ie destruction (where all the orc, goblin, & ogre stuff is), death (undead stuff), chaos (duh), and order (everything else, including the sylvaneth).

Speaking of the sylvaneth, while their unit rules are free on the website or app, their 'battle tome' (think army book) will also have extra spells and alternate bonus rules and items (to use in place of the regular order alliance rules if your entire army is sylvaneth) that aren't available for free, so if you want to start playing them, you'll want to buy that book.

So... yeah. Rules-wise, buy the general's handbook, if you want to play sylvaneth buy their battletome, if you want to stick with your goblins consider buying the grand alliance: destruction book (though it isn't as necessary), and make sure you look up the core rules, errata, and unit rules on GW's website or the app.

anselminus
06-07-2016, 15:41
Lot of thanks, unfortunate that unit values are not free :cries:.
I will keep my gob as v8 and probably make sylvaneth small force with an opponent small force too.
So free rules, book with points and battletome of each army i want to play :).

Mirbeau
06-07-2016, 15:51
I will keep my gob as v8 and probably make sylvaneth small force with an opponent small force too.

Yeah, I'd recommend keeping your gobbos as is and starting fresh, less hang-ups and wishing for what was that way. Probably worth trying the game out with your gobbos though and seeing if it appeals. The points values have been handily collated into a spreadsheet elsewhere online.

I'd go as far as to say, if you don't mind printing out the warscrolls (which are on each model's page on the gw webstore) or getting the app, you don't actually need the battletome, I haven't got it for my dead and am not planning on getting it either - though the extra stuff in the Slyvaneth one changes that somewhat. Not compulsory though.

malisteen
06-07-2016, 18:22
Honestly, shouldn't need to do anything to the gobbos for them to be playable in AoS. Base size makes a difference, if they have 1" attacks, they shouldn't be attacking in more than 2 ranks, but otherwise there's no rebasing requirement. I still use square bases for my undead, just to make them easier to move around on the table and store between games with magnetized unit trays.

Most of the old stuff is usable or interesting in some way. I can't speak to night goblins in particular, but I know from experience that savage orcs can be positively brutal. Existing night goblins should be perfectly playable for getting a handle on how the game works.

Just as a warning - the game is a bit... wonky. Very 1st edition / beta test feeling. The movement mechanics in particular are cludgy at best. on the other hand, there are some interesting ideas, like keeping the core rules super streamlined, and putting everything special that a given unit or terrain piece does on its own individual rules sheet. It allows for a lot more specialized gimmickry, which I like, though it isn't to everyone's taste. And while it's much, much harder to have the entire game's ruleset memorized, it's a lot easier to keep track of what your specific army does, since all their special rules are on their own sheet, and you don't have to cross reference a bunch of keyworded special rules from another book or handle fiddly rules interactions from a large core ruleset.

Of course, with the new spell lores, alliance abilities, general traits, and artifacts, that's breaking down a bit. Hopefully it doesn't get too out of hand, the way looking up how a unit works in 40k can be an exercise in tedium as you cross reference half a dozen sources.

On that subject, there are some afaik unconfirmed rumors that the points costs from the generals handbook will be made available for free after its release, which would be useful for testing the game out. The handbook will still be worth buying if you get into the game, though, for campaign ideas, scenarios, faction traits, artifacts, etc. There's a lot packed into it, and like the grand alliance books it's priced very low for its size as a game book, though it is paperback rather than hardcover.

Spiney Norman
07-07-2016, 08:51

You actually don't need the battle tome unless you want to buy it, it gives you the fluff and a few extras, which might be worth reading since AoS background is largely new. If you look at some of the rumour website (Atia's blogs is a good place to start) some of the Generals handbook pages (particularly the points sections) have been leaked on line ahead of time. Though it's fair to say the handbook is pretty reasonably priced for what you're getting.

I'm personally quite excited about Sylvaneth, I always liked the tree part of the wood elf list in wfb but was gutted when they got nerfed into the ground in the 8E army book. I have loads of dryads which I used to use in 6th/7th edition but pretty much got shelved during 8th, now I can use them again.

silverstu
07-07-2016, 11:25
You actually don't need the battle tome unless you want to buy it, it gives you the fluff and a few extras, which might be worth reading since AoS background is largely new. If you look at some of the rumour website (Atia's blogs is a good place to start) some of the Generals handbook pages (particularly the points sections) have been leaked on line ahead of time. Though it's fair to say the handbook is pretty reasonably priced for what you're getting.

I'm personally quite excited about Sylvaneth, I always liked the tree part of the wood elf list in wfb but was gutted when they got nerfed into the ground in the 8E army book. I have loads of dryads which I used to use in 6th/7th edition but pretty much got shelved during 8th, now I can use them again.

I'm similarly loving the new Sylvaneth - my favourite part of the wood elf list but I never bought any before. I've ordered some dryads and a set of hunters - I am thinking about the Generals handbook as the price is really good- 15 from GW so its not a massive investment to give it a go, even if I find I don't like it. I think having that added structure is a better format for getting into the game. Hoping I can get my buddy back into gaming with a smaller ruleset and the possibility of some quick, smaller games as we both are a lot busier now and he has his first child arriving soon!

Spiney Norman
07-07-2016, 14:45
I'm similarly loving the new Sylvaneth - my favourite part of the wood elf list but I never bought any before. I've ordered some dryads and a set of hunters - I am thinking about the Generals handbook as the price is really good- 15 from GW so its not a massive investment to give it a go, even if I find I don't like it. I think having that added structure is a better format for getting into the game. Hoping I can get my buddy back into gaming with a smaller ruleset and the possibility of some quick, smaller games as we both are a lot busier now and he has his first child arriving soon!

I think what I like about the battle tomes is that at least the fluff is new material, it was difficult to justify spending on wfb army books when they were pretty much identical to the previous edition's books except for the cover and a few rule tweaks, all the same stories about all the same characters was wearing a little bit thin.

Ad_Hoc_Games
07-07-2016, 15:57

It still remains to be seen if points costs will be made available for free. The Generals Handbook that contains them isn't released until the 23rd. In the meantime i wouldn't worry about points costs, the game works fine without them so long as both you and your opponent are on the same level.

Battletomes are great reading, but they aren't essential. They'll give you a solid foundation on your factions fluff and plenty of inspiration, but you can gather that information elsewhere. I'd check the background forum here, or visit the Grand Allliance forums, which usually feature plenty of discussion about the background material.

Spiney Norman
07-07-2016, 18:19
It still remains to be seen if points costs will be made available for free. The Generals Handbook that contains them isn't released until the 23rd. In the meantime i wouldn't worry about points costs, the game works fine without them so long as both you and your opponent are on the same level.

Battletomes are great reading, but they aren't essential. They'll give you a solid foundation on your factions fluff and plenty of inspiration, but you can gather that information elsewhere. I'd check the background forum here, or visit the Grand Allliance forums, which usually feature plenty of discussion about the background material.

I think at some point we will see points values available for free through the app, though maybe not straight away, there is no obligation on GWs part to make rules content (which costs them money to create) available for free so I wouldn't necessarily expect it to appear on the app on the morning of the 23rd. However at some point they are going to release new models which are not covered in the General's handbook and the app would seem to be the best way of getting the pts values out there.