PDA

View Full Version : One players Indecision

Voltaire
11-07-2006, 22:00
Greetings to all,

I am currently considering divulging in the world of all things Fantasy. I am a long term 40K player and I have played as Chaos & Orks for the Sci Fi System. I have been looking over the possibilities for a new army. My lines of thought have lead me into a corner, in that I have to play a villainous army, and the I have narrowed down my choices to the following possibilities;

Cult of Slaanesh
Grimgors Ardboyz

I chose the Cult of Slaanesh Dark Elves because it would be a change from my Black Legion painting, but not something too radical and I can adapt the army to a Dark Elves fully fledged one later on. I chose Grimgors Ardboyz becvause I would love to make an Effigy of Gork and these boyz really do seem like the premier force for Greenskins in the Old World.

Thus my indecision is borne. I have always loved the Dark Elves & Orcs, but I'm torn. Can you help me please?!

Voltaire
14-07-2006, 21:10
Well, considering I've had 68 views and not a single reply, I went ahead and made my choice based on some research into background.

Grimgors boyz are very limited in scope, their elite naturedetracts from Greenskin character IMO.

My liking of the current Chaos Warrior models but already owning a Chaos army means a Cult of Slaanesh would be ideal, giving me the chance to paint one up while getting an army I like the concept of, and that plays very differently to Black Legion for 40K

Thanks for nothing anyway Warseer.

Sambojin
14-07-2006, 21:42
Yeh, you tend to get what you pay for around here.............nothing :)

Go with the elves. They're more fun to paint, convert and probably even play. And since you have a chaos 40k army, you'll hopefully have all the spiky bits you'll need. Then when you get bored (or everyone calls you Da Ch33x0rs for using a SOC army) you've got DE or HOC to change to nice and easy.

gorenut
14-07-2006, 21:53
I say go for the Orcs.

My reasoning being: Storm of Chaos lists are rumored to become illegal in most official tourneys, hence they will get little to no support. If I were you, I'd wait for the new orc armybook to come out, which is just around the corner. If the reliable rumors for the armybook are true, it would allow you to easily mimic a 'ardboyz list. Plus, its also rumored that Orcs are getting plastic Black Orcs which I'm sure will rock because they new rumored rules allow them to be loaded with weapons.

Voltaire
14-07-2006, 21:54
Yeah, I suppose I'm going to need to do some more round here before people pay attention.

I have decided that when it comes to the point where I have the CoS units all sorted I will be turning it into a Dark Elf army. The prospect of playing Chaos for two systems really is making me feel claustrophobic in gaming terms. The beautiful majestic dark elves seem to be neglected by gamers and I feel they have a lot of potential on the field, equal to their Wood or High brethren.

I feel a backstory coming on!

Deloth Vyrr
15-07-2006, 03:03
The Dark Elves would be a cool army and they are HORRIBLY underplayed. CoS have some pretty neato lists, but with their up and coming bans I wouldnt start into them personally. I do love the Dark Elf models tho, nicely painted they are one of the finest in my oppinon

Smoking Frog
15-07-2006, 08:01
Hmm... yes, the Dark Elves are a very playable force, solid rank infantry and devastating cavalry, and some monsters to boot.

I've seen more Orcs than I have Elves of any kind, since for the most part they are rather fragile. If you like maneuverable and tactical armies, Dark Elves are the way to go.

You have to watch out for those Storm of Chaos lists, as they will sooner or later become unsupported and defunct, though so long as your group of friends don't mind I see no problem.

ebolatheripe
15-07-2006, 09:25
I think on my first post I received no responses until I got mad as well:p

I would do Dark Elves as well but use the regular DE Rules. Just paint the models in Slaaneshi colors and maybe use some Steeds of Slaanesh mounted elves as "Counts as" Dark Riders.

Voltaire
15-07-2006, 09:42
In all reality, I'm going to be doing some 'base swappable' Daemonettes so I can use them in my Black Legion and am only painting a unit of Warriors & Knights then use them as the basis for an army later into next year probably.

I've also decided I will not be including any corsairs in my DE army once its up and running.

Smoking Frog
15-07-2006, 13:12
Fair enough on the Corsairs, I personally prefer Spears myself. They are a nice solid block of cheap infantry (for Elves, that is), that can handle most enemy units quite well. Plus, they are cheap in cash and points compared to large blocks of Corsairs.

Are you going to theme very heavily on the Slaanesh angle?

Voltaire
15-07-2006, 16:43
I'm going to have a unit of daemonettes, a unit of warriors & knights (I have them left over from a silly attempt to start a horde when they first came out), but will be using simple witch elves for the special slaaneshi units. The only thing I am considering extensively converting is a Druchii Anointed on a Steed of Slaanesh. The rest will be Elves.