PDA

View Full Version : Season of War: Plans on where to report.

Memnos
11-07-2016, 08:41
Before I get in to this, please take a look at the map for Season of War here:

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/sow/index.htm

Looking at the map and the description(That of 3 cities surrounded by Chaos desperate to hold on), it appears as if 'The fix' is in and Games Workshop has a plan for the campaign. Specifically, the Living City has no alternate locations close by, the Greywater Fastness as 2 and the Phoenecium has 3 with 1 floating point between the Greywater Fastness and the Phoenecium.

It appears as if Games Workshop's plan is to have the Living City survive without Chaos surrounding it, a relative stronghold in the realm of Life with the Phoenecium either falling or being surrounded by Chaos.

Who wants to turn that narrative on its head?

I humbly suggest having Order report all their wins to the Phoenecium and surrounding area, Destruction and Chaos report to the Greywater Fastness and surrounding area(The Fastness straddles Fire and Life. Perpetual war between Destruction and Khorne would be fun, not to mention Destruction getting access to Tech goodies - Steampunk Goblins, anyone?) and Death reporting to the Living City.

The Green Kroosade changed one campaign, the Orcs and Goblins changed another and in every summer campaign, the groups that had a concrete plan of attack ended up winning.

What do we want the future to look like?

MLP
11-07-2016, 08:53
I like your idea. But I very much doubt the campaign will influence the lore in any meaningful way.

In all likelihood they have a couple of alternate plot lines written out ready to print in their future books. Wherever the outcome of the campaign I expect not much more than factions happen to control slightly different areas in the realms.

Maybe there might be Battalion Warscrolls or new Command Traits that represent the outcome.

Memnos
11-07-2016, 09:04
I like your idea. But I very much doubt the campaign will influence the lore in any meaningful way.

In all likelihood they have a couple of alternate plot lines written out ready to print in their future books. Wherever the outcome of the campaign I expect not much more than factions happen to control slightly different areas in the realms.

Maybe there might be Battalion Warscrolls or new Command Traits that represent the outcome.

They've already said the future is decided with this campaign.

And if it -isn't- meaningfully affected, then it wouldn't hurt for you to report anywhere, right? So go ahead and join in and report to the right places! Unless you don't play AoS, in which case, thank you for your input. And I mean that genuinely. The internet generally doesn't convey tone well, so I didn't want you to think I was being snarky(The default for internetdom). ;)

MLP
11-07-2016, 09:26
They've already said the future is decided with this campaign.

And if it -isn't- meaningfully affected, then it wouldn't hurt for you to report anywhere, right? So go ahead and join in and report to the right places! Unless you don't play AoS, in which case, thank you for your input. And I mean that genuinely. The internet generally doesn't convey tone well, so I didn't want you to think I was being snarky(The default for internetdom). ;)

Well yes they say the future is decided to get people all excited. But the practicality of implementing a completely changeable future of their product isn't likely. But maybe I'm wrong!

I'll probably not have the time with work to take part in the campaign but I'll be keeping my eye on it for sure. I'm interested to see what they do with it.

shinros
11-07-2016, 13:23
Don't forget Death and destruction. Chaos are not the only ones involved so I think it's going to be interesting.

Zywus
11-07-2016, 14:07
Is there anything stopping them from just choosing whatever result they like, regardless of what results people send in? (like they did in Storm of Chaos).

I guess every individual result could be public and the campaign map updated live? If so, it would give some interesting numbers about the size and disposition of the pkayerbase.

herjan1987
11-07-2016, 14:20
Is there anything stopping them from just choosing whatever result they like, regardless of what results people send in? (like they did in Storm of Chaos).

I guess every individual result could be public and the campaign map updated live? If so, it would give some interesting numbers about the size and disposition of the pkayerbase.

My first initial thought was this when they announced this live campaign. Poeple say you will need a ID number to put the result in ( you can get this from GW or FLGS ). The question still remains that how do you minimize double accounts ( maybe with email adresses or some minimal fee ( 1 penny / pence ) from bank card to localise IDs )....

Rogue Star
11-07-2016, 14:38
My first initial thought was this when they announced this live campaign. Poeple say you will need a ID number to put the result in ( you can get this from GW or FLGS ). The question still remains that how do you minimize double accounts ( maybe with email adresses or some minimal fee ( 1 penny / pence ) from bank card to localise IDs )....

I believe you have to demonstratively play and win a game of AoS with your faction, in a GW store or selected FLGS, and they record the results. I don't think you can play at home then come in and report the win/loss, or post results yourself over the internet...

malisteen
11-07-2016, 15:09
From what I understand, there is no home logging, you have to log results in a participating store. Whether you have to play in the store or not is the store's business. Also, do you get to pick what city your game goes to? I thought that was set by what region the store where you log your battles from is in?

Also, I think the online community for AoS is just too weak to have a meaningful impact on this. The community isn't as strong or coherent as the 40k community was back in the Eye of Terror campaign, with hundreds or even thousands of players (and bots) logging their victories according to daily orders passed around online forums. I just don't see the cohesion or direction needed to duplicate that, nor does the campaign itself seem to be fine tuned enough to make such direction meaningful, even if we can pick which cities our victories go to. There are only three cities here, in EoT there were half a dozen theaters of war, each with half a dozen specific locations to log victories at, enough that even partial direction could overwhelm the general buzzing mass of unfocused results at particular key locations. With only three battle locations, that's much less workable.

I'm not saying the campaign won't be fun or impactful, but I don't think in-character campaign tactics directed via online coordination can really control the outcome in the same way.

Ad_Hoc_Games
11-07-2016, 15:11
Before I get in to this, please take a look at the map for Season of War here:

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/sow/index.htm

Looking at the map and the description(That of 3 cities surrounded by Chaos desperate to hold on), it appears as if 'The fix' is in and Games Workshop has a plan for the campaign. Specifically, the Living City has no alternate locations close by, the Greywater Fastness as 2 and the Phoenecium has 3 with 1 floating point between the Greywater Fastness and the Phoenecium.

It appears as if Games Workshop's plan is to have the Living City survive without Chaos surrounding it, a relative stronghold in the realm of Life with the Phoenecium either falling or being surrounded by Chaos.

Who wants to turn that narrative on its head?

I humbly suggest having Order report all their wins to the Phoenecium and surrounding area, Destruction and Chaos report to the Greywater Fastness and surrounding area(The Fastness straddles Fire and Life. Perpetual war between Destruction and Khorne would be fun, not to mention Destruction getting access to Tech goodies - Steampunk Goblins, anyone?) and Death reporting to the Living City.

The Green Kroosade changed one campaign, the Orcs and Goblins changed another and in every summer campaign, the groups that had a concrete plan of attack ended up winning.

What do we want the future to look like?

Results are reported via your local GW or FLGS stores. And each city is being fought over by a different real world territory. I don't think your plan will work.

Memnos
11-07-2016, 15:56
From what I understand, there is no home logging, you have to log results in a participating store. Whether you have to play in the store or not is the store's business. Also, do you get to pick what city your game goes to? I thought that was set by what region the store where you log your battles from is in?

Also, I think the online community for AoS is just too weak to have a meaningful impact on this. The community isn't as strong or coherent as the 40k community was back in the Eye of Terror campaign, with hundreds or even thousands of players (and bots) logging their victories according to daily orders passed around online forums. I just don't see the cohesion or direction needed to duplicate that, nor does the campaign itself seem to be fine tuned enough to make such direction meaningful, even if we can pick which cities our victories go to. There are only three cities here, in EoT there were half a dozen theaters of war, each with half a dozen specific locations to log victories at, enough that even partial direction could overwhelm the general buzzing mass of unfocused results at particular key locations. With only three battle locations, that's much less workable.

I'm not saying the campaign won't be fun or impactful, but I don't think in-character campaign tactics directed via online coordination can really control the outcome in the same way.

It's not just 3 battle locations. That's why I gave the link to the map, which shows 9 different locations. Take a look!

And I'll say to you guys just what I said to the other person, if it doesn't make a difference, then go ahead and report to the proper places. Since it doesn't matter, you can do that in good conscience. ;)

Teurastaja
11-07-2016, 17:17
What are those testicles in the middle of the map?

malisteen
11-07-2016, 23:39
It's not just 3 battle locations. That's why I gave the link to the map, which shows 9 different locations. Take a look!

And I'll say to you guys just what I said to the other person, if it doesn't make a difference, then go ahead and report to the proper places. Since it doesn't matter, you can do that in good conscience. ;)

There are no 'proper places' because there is no organized online community with leaders respected enough to tell anyone else what to do and anyone elses numerous enough to impact things even if there were.

Memnos
12-07-2016, 06:49
There are no 'proper places' because there is no organized online community with leaders respected enough to tell anyone else what to do and anyone elses numerous enough to impact things even if there were.

I understand what you're saying, but if it doesn't matter where you report, why -not- take a chance and report in specific places.

If the choice is:

A) Report randomly with no chance of affecting the outcome or;
B) Report specifically with no chance of affecting the outcome

Then B) means you don't have to think in any way, shape or form and actually requires less effort. Hurrah!

Be a guy! If you're Order, report to Phoenecium(And its areas), if you're Chaos or Destruction, report to the Greywater(And its areas) and if you're Death, report to the Living City.

See how this is a win/win situation? Hurray!

eron12
12-07-2016, 13:04
I think what people are saying is that you can't report randomly or specifically, it's determined by store location.

Ad_Hoc_Games
12-07-2016, 15:46
I understand what you're saying, but if it doesn't matter where you report, why -not- take a chance and report in specific places.

If the choice is:

A) Report randomly with no chance of affecting the outcome or;
B) Report specifically with no chance of affecting the outcome

Then B) means you don't have to think in any way, shape or form and actually requires less effort. Hurrah!

Be a guy! If you're Order, report to Phoenecium(And its areas), if you're Chaos or Destruction, report to the Greywater(And its areas) and if you're Death, report to the Living City.

See how this is a win/win situation? Hurray!

Once again, you can't do that. Results are reported to your local stores. We then log them, and the areas of the map are allocated to specific regions world wide. What you are suggesting isn't possible.

scruffyryan
12-07-2016, 23:19
Once again, you can't do that. Results are reported to your local stores. We then log them, and the areas of the map are allocated to specific regions world wide. What you are suggesting isn't possible.

Due respect but this is all basically how storm of chaos was billed, and look how that turned out.

Ad_Hoc_Games
13-07-2016, 12:19
Due respect but this is all basically how storm of chaos was billed, and look how that turned out.

Well the website is now live so you can judge for yourself. As stated, it's fighting over 3 cities, which are specific to real world locations and you have to log your results with GW and FLGS stores.
https://seasonofwar.games-workshop.com/

I'm just glad to see Greywater Fastness is where i'll be fighting, it's the city i find the most interesting.

Rogue Star
13-07-2016, 13:21
I'm just glad to see Greywater Fastness is where i'll be fighting, it's the city i find the most interesting.

Darn, I was hoping for the Living City, since I rather wanted to try the Sylvaneth (even if they basically gifted it to the Stormcast)... oh well. Although I suppose the campaign, as shown, isn't really complex enough for say, since the lore has the Sylvaneth horrified by the industrial nature of the Greywater Fastness, so even if they dominated the UK wins, it'd just be listed as "Order Victory" and mean the cities will expand despite their isolation...

Will be interesting to see the result.

Ad_Hoc_Games
13-07-2016, 13:55
Darn, I was hoping for the Living City, since I rather wanted to try the Sylvaneth (even if they basically gifted it to the Stormcast)... oh well. Although I suppose the campaign, as shown, isn't really complex enough for say, since the lore has the Sylvaneth horrified by the industrial nature of the Greywater Fastness, so even if they dominated the UK wins, it'd just be listed as "Order Victory" and mean the cities will expand despite their isolation...

Will be interesting to see the result.

What's interesting is the results for each individual store will be shown too. I'm interested to see what the break down is for Alliances in other stores, here we've got primarily Death and Chaos players.

malisteen
13-07-2016, 16:57
It's practically all death here - what few players actually play AoS. Last event, 6 people showed up, every one of them playing death. I'm hoping a few players are tempted by those nice new sylvaneth models.

blackcherry
14-07-2016, 09:37

That really wasn't the case - people could log their results from anywhere and allocate them to places on the map of their choice (as long as they were unlocked - the forces of Chaos had to post a set number of wins over the defenders in a location to unlock another part of the map).

Perhaps you are thinking of the later campaigns like Nemesis Crown or the 40k one, (post Eye of Terror - I forget the name) where they tried to limit to store only results?

Rogue Star
14-07-2016, 13:12
Well currently Order looks to be dominating on all fronts... except for Canada, where it seems they don't have AoS. :p

Kurgan Ironbeard
14-07-2016, 13:57
Where do you go to see the results?

Ad_Hoc_Games
14-07-2016, 14:01
seasonofwar.games-workshop.com

furrie
14-07-2016, 14:25
Well currently Order looks to be dominating on all fronts... except for Canada, where it seems they don't have AoS. :p

Canda is awake, but they don't seem to have order the players, right now its just chaos and destruction

Rogue Star
14-07-2016, 14:47
Where do you go to see the results?

https://seasonofwar.games-workshop.com/

Canda is awake, but they don't seem to have order the players, right now its just chaos and destruction

When I last looked, there where no results... so early days yet!

toonboy78
14-07-2016, 15:49
i appreciate we have results from less a day but at the moment it is all ORDER

hardly a surprise as it seems to be based on quantity of results and painting.

Order have more stuff than the others even if you include people using their legacy armies, so it seems likely that they will have the highest numbers

scruffyryan
14-07-2016, 18:25
That really wasn't the case - people could log their results from anywhere and allocate them to places on the map of their choice (as long as they were unlocked - the forces of Chaos had to post a set number of wins over the defenders in a location to unlock another part of the map).

Perhaps you are thinking of the later campaigns like Nemesis Crown or the 40k one, (post Eye of Terror - I forget the name) where they tried to limit to store only results?

I'm referring to the fact that GW pretty blatantly told the story they already wanted to with that campaign and results didn't matter much.

vlad78
14-07-2016, 19:11
What are those testicles in the middle of the map?

Sigmar's pair.

Captain Marius
14-07-2016, 19:30
Those are clearly Nurgle's trio!