PDA

View Full Version : Help with Chaos Black Legion

PeteStewardson
12-07-2016, 14:48
Hi everyone :) Newbie on here so please be gentle haha

OK so about 25 years ago I used to paint warhammer models but haven't done since. In an effort to get my 7yo son off the computer a bit I've decided to re-kindle my interest and see if I can get him to pick it up, kind of father/son time as well as a bonus.

So after looking about he likes Ultramarines, can't knock him on that, probably not the most complicated to get started on either so we're going with that. I bought a batch of Space marines off ebay for my son and I've cleaned them off and base coated them Chaos black for him to get going with, nice cheap way for him to have an impressive army. On Saturday I'm taking him into one of the local GW shops for a painting lesson as well, since he might take direction better from someone else to begin with. Didn't even know you could do these free sessions, really good idea.

He said I had to paint some 'baddies' though so I decided to go with Chaos Marines. And this is where the trouble started.

I bought myself one of the Start Collection Chaos Space Marines sets, but then also bought an Abaddon converted lord off ebay. I was thinking of stripping the model and painting everything in the red on the photos on Start Collecting the box. Thing is the model was painted so well I'm re-thinking and so I think I'm going to go with a black legion scheme.

Now to my issue. In the start collecting box, none of the shoulder pads have the Eye of Horus on them from what I can see. Without studying Codex for months, can anyone tell me what the best options are to maintain a Black Legion scheme, but with what is in the box? I thought maybe I could by some shoulder pads but GW don't seem to sell anything like that. It seems odd to exclude one of the main Legions from a starter box set. Unless I'm going completely nuts here.

Beppo1234
12-07-2016, 15:22
Black, that's all you need. Chaos marines don't really need markings... and any kind of uniform marking scheme kind of runs counter to idea of Chaos.

Azazyll
12-07-2016, 15:49
You can get Sons of Horus pads from Forgeworld. But that's no long a crucial part of the Black Legion's identity. I would recommend getting the Black Legions codex supplement - it's actually surprisingly good, and it should have a lot of good ideas for you.

Basically, any traitor can join the Black Legion - the core is a group of Sons of Horus, but it's much bigger than that now. One must only pledge loyalty is to Abaddon and paint one's armor black. Abaddon, not Horus, because Abaddon asserts that Horus was a failure, Horus was weak, and the legions must grow beyond him (and join with him). But beyond the black paint, they like gold chaos stars.

Lars Porsenna
12-07-2016, 16:33
Does the Getting Started box not come with decals then?

Damon.

blackcherry
12-07-2016, 21:45
Does the Getting Started box not come with decals then?

Damon.

Decals themselves are rare in non Forgeworld kits. You did get a transfer set last time I checked though, which has plenty to add to your models.

Daenerys Targaryen
12-07-2016, 23:33
You can get Sons of Horus pads from Forgeworld. But that's no long a crucial part of the Black Legion's identity. I would recommend getting the Black Legions codex supplement - it's actually surprisingly good, and it should have a lot of good ideas for you.

Basically, any traitor can join the Black Legion - the core is a group of Sons of Horus, but it's much bigger than that now. One must only pledge loyalty is to Abaddon and paint one's armor black. Abaddon, not Horus, because Abaddon asserts that Horus was a failure, Horus was weak, and the legions must grow beyond him (and join with him). But beyond the black paint, they like gold chaos stars.
Keep in mind that "surprisingly good" by Chaos standards, is still pretty abysmal when compared to most everyone else - especially Codex: Marines.

Azazyll
13-07-2016, 04:23
Keep in mind that "surprisingly good" by Chaos standards, is still pretty abysmal when compared to most everyone else - especially Codex: Marines.

I meant for fluff and lore

ashc
13-07-2016, 06:39
I'm in agreement with what has been said here, you really don't need the eye of horus on the shoulderpad to go black legion - many of its members weren't originally part of the Sons of Horus and have merely blackened and covered their shoulderpads to show allegiance.

Enjoy the gaming with your son, i'm doing exactly the same with my 8 year old, he has picked up Blood Ravens and I'm seriously considering Chaos too.

Casper Hawser
13-07-2016, 06:55

Keep in mind he's playing against his 7 year old it's about a fun hobby they can both enjoy it's not about weakness and strengths of armies. Or old and new models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Abbadonsrighthand
13-07-2016, 13:49

Dude can you please stop complaining about chaos for once

PeteStewardson
13-07-2016, 16:49
Thanks all for the comments. I'd ordered a set of metal shoulder pads off ebay and then looked in the box and found the transfers... Oh well :)

Keep in mind he's playing against his 7 year old it's about a fun hobby they can both enjoy it's not about weakness and strengths of armies. Or old and new models.

This is the important point. Right now it's about seeing if we can have some fun painting up a couple of armies. Once that's done we can look at playing against each other. I'm not wanting to spend massive amounts of money on multiple Codex ( I assume that's the rule books and they seem mega money ) etc if there's no point. But once we've built up and painted some models we can get some advice on how to run some mini games. Who knows he might love it and want to play properly against others, at that point we might have to take it a bit more seriously. For now he just wants to paint blue space marines, oh and he wants some Terminators because they look cool. Who can blame him, I want some too, because they look cool :)

malisteen
13-07-2016, 17:54
you may want to just wait for the metal shoulder pads, considering that waterslide transfers are incredibly finnicky and hasslesome - especially on a curved surface like those shoulder pads.

Personally, I didn't want to bother with ordering special shoulder pads, and don't really have hands steady enough to free-hand the official eye of horus design, so I went for an easier to paint, round eye for my black legion:

ashc
13-07-2016, 19:44
Wow, sweet freehand Malisteen! ;)

PeteStewardson
15-07-2016, 19:04
All undercoated in Chaos black ready to go :)

My Chaos army

And my sons Ultramarine army.

Both very keen to go get some paints and start work :)

blackcherry
15-07-2016, 22:01
A good start dude :)

Will you be painting with your kids too? It seems like a fun idea for a plog :)

PeteStewardson
15-07-2016, 22:10
A good start dude :)

Will you be painting with your kids too? It seems like a fun idea for a plog :)

Yes the plan is for my son to paint his Ultramarine army while I paint my Chaos army. That's if he doesn't loose interest as kids always want everything instantly.

Forgive my my ignorance but what's a plog?

blackcherry
15-07-2016, 22:31
Yes the plan is for my son to paint his Ultramarine army while I paint my Chaos army. That's if he doesn't loose interest as kids always want everything instantly.

Forgive my my ignorance but what's a plog?

Good to hear. Sorry, my over use of the word is showing :) A plog is a painting log and they have a special place in the heart of this forum :) Click the link in my sig and then take a look around, or else just scroll down to near the bottom of the forum. Its a really supportive community and I'm sure they would embrace a painting log based around you and your son painting with open arms.

PeteStewardson
16-07-2016, 18:54
Thanks I'll take a look and think about doing that.

In the mean time these are my sons efforts today. The one in the middle is the one he painted in GW and the other two back at home this afternoon. Not a bad start for a 7yo :)

And these are my efforts today. The Ultramarine in the shop for my sons army, and then the WIP Chaos Marine.

So not a bad day really. But I can't help feeling a somewhat ripped off in GW on the paints. I was given the option of a starter set of paints for UltraMarines for about 15 or a fuller set for 30, so I said we'd have the full set + any extras I needed for the chaos, but that 30 turned into more like 55. Can't really then disappoint the 7yo excited about painting his new men so went on with it. Only when I got home did I realise there's no red, no yellow, no green, just loads of colours that yes are in the painting guide, but my son will probably never need. :(

MagicHat
16-07-2016, 21:36
May I suggest getting the Betrayal at Calth tiles/cards/rulebook from Ebay and play with those? Or even buy the entire box to grow both your forces.

Nice little rules in my opinion, and easier to get into and funnier then small scale WH40K games.

Fangschrecken
17-07-2016, 02:38
The betrayal at calth rules are pretty good, and they're very straight forward, so good for a 7yr old. What with the dice being 1 blank, two shields, two hits and a crit hit. You never have to look at charts and the hexes make it easy to move about.

I haven't seen them personally, but I have heard there are fan made rules to expand the scenarios in the game.

Addendum: the game in betrayal at calth is each unit gets two actions a game turn and each side alternates in activations. As in you move one unit, I shoot it, you charge me (combat) then I move another unit into combat, and so on.
I like it because it keeps both players involved. There's no waiting 10+mins for you opponent to move his horde of IG or Orks up.

Casper Hawser
17-07-2016, 08:52
Thanks I'll take a look and think about doing that.

In the mean time these are my sons efforts today. The one in the middle is the one he painted in GW and the other two back at home this afternoon. Not a bad start for a 7yo :)

And these are my efforts today. The Ultramarine in the shop for my sons army, and then the WIP Chaos Marine.

So not a bad day really. But I can't help feeling a somewhat ripped off in GW on the paints. I was given the option of a starter set of paints for UltraMarines for about 15 or a fuller set for 30, so I said we'd have the full set + any extras I needed for the chaos, but that 30 turned into more like 55. Can't really then disappoint the 7yo excited about painting his new men so went on with it. Only when I got home did I realise there's no red, no yellow, no green, just loads of colours that yes are in the painting guide, but my son will probably never need. :(

Sometimes I think the GW staff are trained in getting you to buy stuff you didn't actually want. There's a thin line between helping, giving you good advice and having stuff pushed on you.
I did exactly the same as you with my nephew back in 2008 after 15 years away from the hobby it's worked out well he's 17 now and still enjoys 40k. My son's only 2 so a few years before I attempt to introduce him to it.
On the subject of rulebooks if you think it will be just you guys playing against each other it might be worth considering and older rule set you could get rulebook and your respective codices for about 20 off eBay. As oppose to 100+ from GW for the current ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mightymconeshot
18-07-2016, 03:31
Those look good. The advantage with paint is that there a lot of companies out there making excellent paint that are interchangeable mostly . If you feel a little ripped off about it take a look at one of the other competitors like Vallejo, Army Painter, or Reaper Paint. They all offer bigger paint pots for cheaper and often have great sets for a good discount. I use the paint conversion guide on Dakka Dakka to find equivalent colors.

Welcome to the hobby and good luck.