PDA

View Full Version : For starting Sylvaneth

Kurgan Ironbeard
13-07-2016, 19:38
Aside from Dryads and a Branchwych, which do you think is better to start with Spite-Revenants (https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Warscrolls//aos-warscroll-spite-revenants-en.pdf) or Tree-Revenants (https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Warscrolls//aos-warscroll-tree-revenants-en.pdf)?

Rogue Star
13-07-2016, 20:05
They're both battleline units from what I recall... so it depends on the character of your army... if your winter-themed Sylvaneth are angry and bitter, I'd say Spites... if they're more open to alliances with the other Order factions, and just trying to protect themselves, etc I'd go with Revenants.

Kurgan Ironbeard
13-07-2016, 21:11
They're both battleline units from what I recall... so it depends on the character of your army... if your winter-themed Sylvaneth are angry and bitter, I'd say Spites... if they're more open to alliances with the other Order factions, and just trying to protect themselves, etc I'd go with Revenants.

I like the idea of the bitterness but I think from the start having really looked at the warscrolls maybe the Tree Revenants are better off, I figure they are the spirits of the Eternal Guard that would protect the groves during the winter months.

GrandmasterWang
14-07-2016, 02:56
Tree revenants look better imo. The banner and musician options look brilliant. The champ is good also but similar to the spite champion.

If i only had 1 box of 5 i would build the tree revenants

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

blackcherry
14-07-2016, 09:30
The Tree Revenents look the best to me. In the end, it all depends on your own style. There is no 'best unit' whilst we are playing unbound. With the introduction of optional points soon, we may see a change in that.

Rogue Star
14-07-2016, 11:17
I like the idea of the bitterness but I think from the start having really looked at the warscrolls maybe the Tree Revenants are better off, I figure they are the spirits of the Eternal Guard that would protect the groves during the winter months.

The basic Sylvaneth family unit, the Household, is a Treelord, Branchwych and Tree-Revenants, so it's entirely suitable.

Kurgan Ironbeard
14-07-2016, 11:43
Is the Glaive the best for the Tree-Revenant champion? He sticks with two attacks rather than 4 if he has the normal weaponry but I figure that it means that the opponent only gets one save against taking 2 damage rather than 2 saves, if that makes sense.

Loremaster
14-07-2016, 11:50
Tree-Reventants. But more my friends are coming back to AoS (or trying it out) thanks to points and campaign(as I have campaign in two different stores - one is 1000pts and the other 1500pts) and I'm building my Sylvaneth army to go with High Elves until new Elfs are released (fingers crossed for holiday season)

Rogue Star
14-07-2016, 12:11
Is the Glaive the best for the Tree-Revenant champion? He sticks with two attacks rather than 4 if he has the normal weaponry but I figure that it means that the opponent only gets one save against taking 2 damage rather than 2 saves, if that makes sense.

Pretty much yes, that's the difference between the two options. It means the Glaive is better to take down multi-wound targets like Putrid BlightKings, Stormcast Eternals etc, while the Enchanted Blade would be better against single wound opponents like Skeletons, etc.

Emissary
14-07-2016, 18:30

Only Tree Revenants are battleline in a sylvaneth allegiance. Spite revenants are not.

Spiney Norman
14-07-2016, 23:09
Pretty much yes, that's the difference between the two options. It means the Glaive is better to take down multi-wound targets like Putrid BlightKings, Stormcast Eternals etc, while the Enchanted Blade would be better against single wound opponents like Skeletons, etc.

With respect, it makes no difference, if you strike single wound enemies with a 2 damage attack, you kill two of them, it's not like wfb where overspill wounds are wasted.

If you have buffs which increase your number of attacks, multi-damage attack weapons are obviously superior, if not then the odds are technically the same, only I generally prefer rolling more dice (it makes me feel less victimised when I roll bad).

For my personal taste I prefer the tree revenants, imho they look far better, less silly than the spites and the command options are cooler (not to mention their ability to teleport).

DocDropPod
15-07-2016, 03:39
One of the battalion abilities allows Tree- Revenants to re-roll 1s to Wound. So taking the Scion with the enchanted blade (4attacks) allows higher chances to wound. The more attacks you take, the more re-roll 1s to wound you'll be given

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spiney Norman
15-07-2016, 07:24
One of the battalion abilities allows Tree- Revenants to re-roll 1s to Wound. So taking the Scion with the enchanted blade (4attacks) allows higher chances to wound. The more attacks you take, the more re-roll 1s to wound you'll be given

Mathematically it makes no difference, while the rule will allows you to reroll (on average) twice as many dice, each of the attacks you make with the glaive convert twice as much damage.

2 Attacks = 1 hit + 1/6 hits from the reroll
1.16 hits = 0.78 wounds = 1.56 damage

4 Attacks = 2 hits + 2/3 hits from the rerolls
2.33 hits = 1.56 wounds = 1.56 damage

DocDropPod
16-07-2016, 02:27
Ah. I'll stand corrected.
So unless other synergies pop up just model your Scion how you see fit [emoji2]