PDA

View Full Version : I'm Sick of Slaanesh!!!

Bingo the Fun Monkey
12-07-2006, 00:47
Slaanesh is easily the most attractive chaos god for a number of reasons:
1) most of us that are able to play this game are, in a way, financially secure (we have the net, a roof, food, transportation, and money to spend). Financial security also allows the pursuit of various hobbies and pleasures.
2) the same people also witness glorified hedonism (watch BET, MTV, etc)
3) we all want that (bitchez, cars, money, great bodies, glory, fame) at some level
4) slaanesh, in our gaming modes, is the source of all these things

Still, excuse me if I'm wrong, but most teenagers that play this game are probably not getting laid (both sexes), probably have issues functioning in "normal" society (which is totally fine...and there's really no such thing as normal society), and have over active imaginations.

So, how does the God of Pleasure turn into The God of Freaky Sex? How does someone justify converting morathi's dark pegasus into a giant flesh-slug with testicular wings??? Why does everything in a slaanesh army have to be female/naked/wearing kinky leather? I know most people don't do this (or else couldn't be bothered to), but they are out there. There's more to pleasure than phalo-centric fantasies. I once saw a wonderful slaanesh beastmen army. The doombull was covered in jewelry, had a gourd of wine and was beautifully converted to convey its baccalian outlook on life. Morghur was playing a nightmarish organ. Etc. Ok, so there were exposed boobies (goat-women wouldn't turn me on, no matter how shapely) here and there too, but there was an equal distribution showing excess in ALL IT'S FORMS: the fat one who loves food, the demented musician, the jewel-encrusted alcoholic doombull, the female goat dungeon mistress, daemonettes, a shaman that painted his spells, etc. It was all comical, however. Unlike the flesh-slug (admittedly, it made me laugh), witch elves with champions with breast implants, etc. Seriously, buy a magazine, or take a shower and shave or change your underwear or something! Don't impose this on the rest of the people who are playing in the same room.

OK, this rant is over. But I'm sick of Slaanesh=sex. It makes me think that people have no imagination. I apologize if this was a rough or inappropriate read. I won't protest if I get a warning for this.

Tooooon
12-07-2006, 00:52
Still, excuse me if I'm wrong, but most teenagers that play this game are probably not getting laid (both sexes), probably have issues functioning in "normal" society (which is totally fine...and there's really no such thing as normal society), and have over active imaginations.

Ahhhh the joy of stereotypes ;)

dneff23
12-07-2006, 01:51
I agree..it appears that a lot of people focus on the sexual aspect of Slaanesh and do not keep in mind that he/she is the god of excess. Like you stated excess goes beyond the realm of the sexual.

Theadium
12-07-2006, 02:54
Ok, so there were exposed boobies (goat-women wouldn't turn me on, no matter how shapely) here and there too, but there was an equal distribution showing excess in ALL IT'S FORMS: the fat one who loves food, the demented musician, the jewel-encrusted alcoholic doombull, the female goat dungeon mistress, daemonettes, a shaman that painted his spells, etc. It was all comical, however.
...whats that supposed to mean? Calling him a beast for playing the organ? Us musicians are always being picked at, considered the bottom of society, maybe he was trying really hard to play a song, would it be comical then? See, people generalize musicians because they spend 5-6 hours a day slaving over their instrument, they call them stupid and all that random garbage, but next time you turn on your radio, just remember, they are the garbage of the garbage. Mini-rant over

Trunks
12-07-2006, 02:58
I was drawn to slaanesh over the other three because of the whole aesthetic appreciation type thing. Noise marines and their quest to always hear more and more extreme crazy noises. The artistic expression angle. The desire to have new experiences.

I get sick of the "look! boobies!" thing myself . . . it's stupid.

chaos-king
12-07-2006, 03:09
slannesh is not relly about sex all slaanesh is about is pleasure not that kind of pleasure ;) a weird kind like drugs,stabbing them self etc and in 40k it the slaanesh section in the chaos codex in ther wargear they have something called "combat drugs" they take it and it give them pleasure buth it killing them so wheir is the sex in that :wtf:

Three Headed Monkey
12-07-2006, 03:39
Remember also that when Slaanesh bestows a give on a human being it isnt just a bigger *ahem* or *ahems* but also charisma and otherworldly attraction, giving the chosen the ability to persuade others and garner followers and admirers.

Anyone remember that Kaos agent from 'Get Smart' that everyone liked and let get away with anything almost even helping because of his friendly face and the twinkle in his eye? That guy was certainly blessed by Slaanesh :D

However, the more sexual perversion side of Slaanesh has always been there, and is an aspect of the God that players have a right to portray. However, I do agree that this should be done with SOME taste and that showing boobies and phalluses is not always the way to go.

The Inquisition War trilogy depicts Emperor's Children marines gathering female slaves and probing them with some of their more private mutations. But then again, that entire book was over the top.

TheWarSmith
12-07-2006, 04:29
I wouldn't necessarily stick 100% of your blame on the gamers. After all, GW is the one that inspires a lot of this with their daemonettes, titsnakes, and all that. You can't blame all the gamers for taking GW's theme and running with it.

I agree that some people take it too far. I think 40k slaanesh armies tend to be a bit better done in that regard than do fantasy ones.

Tzeentch is supposed to be represented by birds, but in my army I took a different route and had him represented by ice and shifting colours.

HiredSword.
12-07-2006, 09:48
It's not just Slaanesh, I've felt that a lot of armies themes are dumbed down, but as has already been said, it's not always the gamer's fault.

I've found that all 4 dark powers are generally dumbed down. Usually because in some cases it would be quite hard to show a certain aspect of a god on a model. Breasts are much easier to model than a general air of excess. I'm not disagreeing with you, i do agree, just that is why GW might be doing this. And of course for the 'teehee breasticles!' factor as well.

Bob Hunk
12-07-2006, 09:55
I agree with the original post, "Slaanesh = Sex" is daft, but then again all the Chaos gods are portrayed in a one dimensional way these days, at least compared to the Realm of Chaos days.

I still cling to the cherished ideal of Nurgle as more than just a god of sickness - a god of depression, of resignation to your fate and of energy and enthusiasm (to distract yourself from inevitable death) and of decay and ruin. There's more to Grandfather Nurgle than boils on your bum you know!

If you're reading this and you're relatively new to Chaos, I strongly urge you to discover more about the history of your chosen god. Khorne is another good example, he wasn't always just about mindless slaughter, but also martial prowess and honour...

Bingo the Fun Monkey
12-07-2006, 10:18
...whats that supposed to mean? Calling him a beast for playing the organ? Us musicians are always being picked at, considered the bottom of society, maybe he was trying really hard to play a song, would it be comical then? See, people generalize musicians because they spend 5-6 hours a day slaving over their instrument, they call them stupid and all that random garbage, but next time you turn on your radio, just remember, they are the garbage of the garbage. Mini-rant over

Ummm....where do i begin? I'll begin with the model. It portrayed a symphony of destruction.

Now, to address your point. I am a musician. Playing gigs and giving lessons are my only sources of income right now (and I find myself starving occasionally because of that, but real jobs be damned!!!). I spend at least 7 hours on the guitar a day. Usually more. So your whole trolling argument, sir, is pants (yes, I guess I'm trolling too, sorry...I mean no offense to you...just your post).

...and where do you get the notion that we're the perceived garbage of society? Even if we were, the roaring crowds make it totally worth it anyway.

EDIT: @Spikedog below: ok, you are 23 which makes you not a teenager. Also, i pointed out that there are also great slaanesh armies created in taste. Are you going to give your females breast implants? Are you going to put a giant penis on a 40 mm base? Gosh, when someone says "some people do this", they get labled an ignorant stereotypist (sp?). Clearly, you've been drawn to slaanesh for what i believe to be the right reasons. Honestly, no one's going to be burnt at the stake, and no one's making broad generalizations.

spikedog
12-07-2006, 10:19
Alright as I have just started Slaanesh and almost everyone is agreeing with you I feel that I need to comment for the other side of this argument.

I will start by saying I am 23 and happily married so no pent up sexual frustration here, but I still have a Slaanesh army that is full of flesh and breasts.

Why ?

Because it is an extreme.

All of the Fantasy armies are an extreme of one kind or another, be it silver knights, scaly lizards, nobel elves or dirty ratkin and Chaos is the most extreme of these aspects.

I have a large Skaven army that I love but now and then I like to paint a little flesh, it makes for a welcome change and by george, if I am going to spend hours looking at a model I certainly am not going to argue if it can be a shapely female figure.

Also the thought of an army that works in an entirely different way to almost every other army in the world is appealing to me.

I imagine myself as a regular Empire soldier, I have seen dirty rats burst from the sewers trying to intimidate and frighten me before chopping me up. I have seen savage orks do the same. I have seen twisted beastmen doing the same and then, one day, there comes an army that doesn't try and bellow and shout to scare but rather lures me with siren calls and seductive dances....

And then tries to chop me up.

It is a completely different way of looking at warfare in the warhammer world and the models represent that.

If this makes you think I am shallow and sex crazy then so be it but I like playing a drastically different theme to almost every other out there.

scavenseer
12-07-2006, 11:02
Most people play slaanesh due to the fact that they lack the talent to convert any of the other armys into anything resembling immpressive.

Dr Death
12-07-2006, 11:02
Hmmmm, i suppose it's a case of "ratings". In a game played by young people, you simply couldnt show the sheer sickness of what a slaanesh camp must be like. You mention the beastman army, but what is excessive about a drunken doombull? There are people i see out on the street who could fit that description. GW couldnt conceivably make a miniature of a slaanesh champion distilling his own liquor out of the eyes of his living slaves. They couldnt show the atrocities which true excess leads to- im having a hard enough time imagining them.

So what do they fall back on? Sex. Sex is an easy target because it has a fundamental image as taboo. It's naughty, it's dirty, its funny, it's fleshy. Its a safe way of portraying a religion who's very beleif system is perversion and the joys of indulging yourself with not a care in the world for another. It provokes an instant reaction in more straight laced individuals who may see non procreative sex as sinful. The fact that it is said to be so in many real world religions makes it perfect game to show the sheer immorality of Slaanesh's minions. It's also so wonderfully easy to show, because pretty much all of us could understand its lure- the chance to be physically intimate with beautiful people but without a care in the world for their feelings- simply to sate our own lust. Sex is a universal (with a few select exceptions).

Yes, it does lead to the dumbing down of Slaanesh but that is by no means unique to the prince of pleasure, all chaos gods have been dumbed down and i hope that this will change but sex being associated with Slannesh is no bad or inaccurate thing- it is as i have pointed out a legitimate and instantly recognisable way of expressing excess and immorality.

Dr Death

devolutionary
12-07-2006, 11:12
Khorne lost all the aspects of honour and martial prowess.
Nurgle lost all the aspects of acceptance and inevitability.
Tzeentch lost all the aspects of random change and betrayal.
Slaanesh lost all the aspects of excess and perverted indulgement.

Now it's all bloodlust, disease, magic, and sex. This is why I thoroughly enjoy playing up the older, more refined elements of the Gods, and generally stay away from the archetypes. My Nurgle force has minimal green, and operates on a connection between Nurgle and death (yes, I know there is a Death God. He's just in denial ;) ), focussing on inevitability and bringing joy to all through the simple act of giving people the direction they sorely lack (whether they realise it or not).

There is so much more to the various Gods than is hyped up, but I do think that there is substanitally more interest and focus on these elements in Fantasy than in 40k :(

Sleazy
12-07-2006, 11:15
have you seen the Netherlord 2 model from heresy comes with a choice of, erm groinal accessories, including a Netherwang! am suprised Slanneshi players havent ordered tons of them!

I actually prefer Mirkin the half-elf (he's actually half an elf)

Tooooon
12-07-2006, 12:45
a weird kind like drugs,stabbing them self etc and in 40k it the slaanesh section in the chaos codex in ther wargear they have something called "combat drugs" they take it and it give them pleasure buth it killing them

Slaanesh, the stereotypical Emo's army! ;)

~Dave

Pravus
12-07-2006, 14:01
No it isn't - Nurgle is the Emo army by definition; all the self indulgent navel gazing and oh-woe-is-me-leave-me-alone-but-pay-me-loads-of-attention-b*ll*cks.

Slaanesh is the mythological inheritor Dionysus and the Bacchanalia - wild parties, a celebration of life and all it has to offer gone mad. Slaanesh is also the cult of the personality; people willingly submitting to the charisma of an individual - think David Koresh or, for a fantasy reference, think the Cult of Set in John Milius' Conan the Barbarian. James Earl Jones makes a fantastic Lord of Slaanesh.

Just as disease is the medium for Nurgle and bloodshed the medium for Khorne, sex is part of the medium for Slaanesh. But as in many other cases, the medium is NOT the message. It even says as much in the God's descriptions at the front of the HoC book. The fact that this is largely ignored by the majority of players does not change the truth of it.

Oh and for the record - sex is neither inherently deviant nor "dirty". For those of you who think it is, you're watching too much pr0n.

Brock Samson
12-07-2006, 14:25
As presented by our friends at Wikipedia.

For those of you who don't know;
Slaanesh is the youngest God in the Chaos pantheon. It is the Chaos God of Lust, Excess, Pleasure, Perfection and Hedonism in the fictional universes of Warhammer and Warhammer 40,000. According to publication Realms of Chaos: Slaves to Darkness, "Slaanesh typically appears in a form which is a woman on the right side and a man on the left, unerringly and inhumanly beautiful with two sets of graceful but devilish horns rising from its flowing golden hair, seductive as only a god can be. In bodily form Slaanesh is perfection: long limbed and elegant with a haunting androgynous beauty. It is said that it is impossible for a mortal to look upon its divine face without losing his soul, for all who see Slaanesh become slaves to its slightest whim." It can however assume any form; male, female, hermaphrodite or asexual, but to its followers it manifests itself as a young man, clean limbed and fresh with the vigour of youth. Its sacred number is six. It is known as the Prince of Chaos or Prince of Pleasure.

Publisher Games Workshop originally intended Slaanesh as an obscene god of perverse pleasure, but as the company re-established its main demographic as children/younger teens, the storyline was changed to make Slaanesh the god of pain and sensation and thus avoid direct sexual references which might offend the parents of younger players. It was still challenging to explain this to the parents of perspective players when I sold GW. LOL

Recent Warhammer books have created full languages for worshippers of Chaos, with the name Slaanesh being a corruption of the Chaos term Slaaneth (Slaa meaning "ecstasy" or "pleasure" and Neth meaning "lord" or "prince"; hence, the Prince of Pleasure).

In Warhammer 40,000, Slaanesh was born during the time the Eldar call The Fall, from the decadence of the Eldar in the Warp. The Birthcry of Slaanesh created the Eye of Terror and slew most Eldar (and their gods, except for Khaine who was dispersed into many pieces, and the Harlequin's Laughing God), except those very far away from the Eldar Worlds. In the same universe, Slaanesh is served primarily by the Emperor's Children Chaos Space Marines, hedonistic psychopaths who wield unique sonic weaponry in battle.

According to publication Realms of Chaos: Slaves to Darkness, the symbol of Slaanesh combines the conventional symbols for male and female, although it is seldom worn openly by its followers. In its place, they often wear items of jewelry bearing erotic motifs. Followers dress in robes which are often opened to leave the right side of the chest uncovered, a requirement of many of the rituals involved in his worship. Pastel and electric shades are the chief colours, although white is often used as well. These colours are also sometimes carried over into everyday wear, although they may be modified to fit in with current fashions. Regardless of any considerations, all Slaanesh followers wear garb of sensuously high quality.

Slaanesh has a neutral attitude to many of the gods of Chaos, and is generally too caught up in its own pleasures to be interested in alliances and co-operation. Particular enemies are the followers of Khorne, whose belief in death is completely opposed to Slaanesh's principle of a life of unrestricted pleasure in any form. Followers of Nurgle and Tzeentch are subject to Slaanesh's usual neutral attitude, though the disgusting rot of Nurgle is the cause of occasional violence.

Although Slaanesh represents pleasure and perfection, there is a darker side to his nature. Because Slaanesh was born from the Eldar psyche he represents the worst excesses of the Fall. The Eldar sought perfection in all things and created great monuments of art and culture, but they also brutally tortured and murdered one another in the most perverse ways imaginable, hence Slaanesh embodies pleasure and unnatural depravity. It is this depravity which leads the followers of Slaanesh to torture their victims, delighting in each delicate stroke of the blade until the victim is wasted and used. Slaanesh is the reason why the Dark Eldar take captives, which they then go on to torture and abuse.

All in all, I don't mind Slaanesh, and I understand that not everyone has the time, talent, or inclination to create wonderfully converted Slaanesh armies.

Gitt
12-07-2006, 14:34
Although I can see that this thread is full of stories regarding the fact that they are fed up with being sterio-typed as little p'rvs, I'd just like to point it out that more often than not, the sterio-type is true, not accusing anyone... Just pointing it out. No harm meant.

Pravus
12-07-2006, 14:47
Wait a minute - are you suggesting that the hobby is populated by socially inept, hygienically challenged and sexually repressed individuals for whom the only release is the painting of a pair of disproportionate mammary glands on a 28mm model of a fantasy woman?

Dear God! I think I'll take up dogging or something ...

metallegion
12-07-2006, 14:48
come on... all you slaanesh players can't tell me you cover up your deamonettes!!! ;)

gjnoronh
12-07-2006, 15:39
Well some slaanesh players modify their daemonettes - just us folks who realize we're going to have kids either around our houses or looking at our toys when we bring them to a store.

http://s7.invisionfree.com/wyrmling_x/index.php?showtopic=948

For a long discussion of "adult" themed slaanesh stuff see here (No pics of objectionable material in the thread.)
http://z7.invisionfree.com/wyrmling_x/index.php?showtopic=1813

All from www.thedaemoniclegion.com

Autobot HQ
12-07-2006, 16:08
I do Nurgle and Slaanesh, that make me an Emo ...?

... Helps that I am an Emo I guess :p

Brock Samson
12-07-2006, 16:36
Well some slaanesh players modify their daemonettes - just us folks who realize we're going to have kids either around our houses or looking at our toys when we bring them to a store.

I don't think that everyone should have to do this, but I commend you for making the decision to do so. And for the people who run that store, I can assure you that they appreciate your efforts. As I stated in my previous post, I sold GW products, and it was always difficult to field questions about the Slaanesh army. Especially when it came to the younger players and their parents...

TheWarSmith
12-07-2006, 16:59
I strongly suggest to all of you, especially those starting a new army, to read your respective "Liber Chaotica". I can't stress enough how AWESOME these books are.

They are NOT GW novels, it should be noted. That may help/hurt my argument against some of you guys, but i don't know who. Marijan von Staufer is the author and he is a man of genius.

Some of you are mentioning the "Gods of old warhammer". Well, these are them. I personally love the Tzeentch book the most, as it's the one of my chosen deity, but all of them are good.

vampires are cool!
12-07-2006, 18:41
i agree; slaanesh is the god of exess and headonism, liberten and open minded, not promiscuous and dirty minded.
indeed, khorne is a great example of a warrior god that in the public eye has gone from nobility, honour, bravery and martial skill to a being of rage - admitably i always liked the idea of khorne as a bloodthirsty god that hungers for slaughter

Brock Samson
12-07-2006, 19:24
For what it's worth...

pro·mis·cu·ous ( P ) adj.

Having casual sexual relations frequently with different partners; indiscriminate in the choice of sexual partners.
Lacking standards of selection; indiscriminate.
Casual; random.

Sounds like a part of Slaanesh to me.:angel:

Aekold
12-07-2006, 20:12
Well as i see it. And im starting an slaanesh army. My slaanesh belief is this.

Followers that love to turture things. Not the sex part at all. An evil chaos lord that love to see ppl suffer. Enjoy the slaugther in slaaneshs name. Chopping limbs off, Impale ppl on his Tentacles ( Not dicks or anything) and just having a good time on the battlefield. That is the true feeling of slaanesh. Having such an aura that you can have an army in no-time. Be blessed whit diffrent appendages. Like claws. Evil tentacles, and such things.

I will cover up all the naked stuff in my army. Cause i dont feel the sex part shuld be in warhamer at all. Sure if ppl want to have a dick army of doom, let them have that. Myself is gonna have an tectacle army. Cause ive seen some fun stuff in the world of hentai. And no im not gonna have impaled girls on my heros.

Think of it.

just my 2 cents. or 6 ^^

Ohh and forgot to mention the Hellraiser movies. THERE ÝOU HAVE SLAANESH RIGHT IN YOUR FACE! ^^

Bingo the Fun Monkey
12-07-2006, 20:41
Wait a minute - are you suggesting that the hobby is populated by socially inept, hygienically challenged and sexually repressed individuals for whom the only release is the painting of a pair of disproportionate mammary glands on a 28mm model of a fantasy woman?

Dear God! I think I'll take up dogging or something ...

I guess I am suggesting that...if that's how you take it. Rather, I believe that this hobby attracts all kinds of people. Socially inept, hygienically challenged and sexually repressed individuals are amongst them and the hobby shop is the only place these people can really be found (except fetish/goth night at certain clubs). Everyone knows everyone's a pervert.

If someday I'm president and peeps are like "Zomg!!! U R T3H IMM0RAL!! U W3NT 2 pr0NNET.c0m 30 years ago!!" I'd be like "HELLS YEHA!! MY RITE H00k iS STORNG 4 g00d r33z0nz LOL!"

Sorry for the leet.:angel:

Aekold
12-07-2006, 20:41
Leet is fine mwhahah! !11!!11

inq.serge
12-07-2006, 20:58
Guess what!

slaanesh is not "god of plesure", she/he/it is "the Obcene God(ess) of Perversion", gw only changed a bit of the "outer layer fluff" so the parents to younger players wouldn't disslike the game. But slaanesh is still god of making love.

BTW, perversion and nudity is not "A slaaneshi theme", it is "THE slaaneshi theme"

robertsjf
12-07-2006, 21:23

Yours only has 1 pair? Mine have at least 3 on it....

HiredSword.
12-07-2006, 21:39
Guess what!

slaanesh is not "god of plesure", she/he/it is "the Obcene God(ess) of Perversion", gw only changed a bit of the "outer layer fluff" so the parents to younger players wouldn't disslike the game. But slaanesh is still god of making love.

BTW, perversion and nudity is not "A slaaneshi theme", it is "THE slaaneshi theme"

Sorry, but i disagree with this (not saying their not valid points though).

The "outer layer fluff" isn't for parents but for fluff veterans who want more of a theme for their army then just sex.

And i suppose this is pretty ambiguous, but perversion and nudity are part of the theme. It's all about excess; nudity and perversion are a branch of this.

Stouty
12-07-2006, 23:04
It is not a pointless stereotype that socially inept, filthy, stinking nerds play warhammer.

I count myself as one of them.

-Stouty (unable to communicate clearly with homo sapiens since 1991)

Could anyone link to the armies described in these threads? I want to see the one with the bejeweled minotaur and stuff and the pasty, sad nurgle worshipers.

Looking through my old warhammer stuff I've remembered a lot of things. Most importantly is that chaos rocks and that it doesn't have to be big dude in spiky black armour.

Crap. I can feel my wallet thinning out.

devolutionary
12-07-2006, 23:08
Looking through my old warhammer stuff I've remembered a lot of things. Most importantly is that chaos rocks and that it doesn't have to be big dude in spiky black armour.

Crap. I can feel my wallet thinning out.

Amen (on both counts). Chaos Warriors look heaps better sans horns.

Aekold
13-07-2006, 01:23
Yeah. I say Warroirs whitout horns looks more brutal. wel nighty. now i go to bed. tooo tired and have work tomorrow.

May slaanesh smile upon thee mortals!

Bingo the Fun Monkey
13-07-2006, 08:02
Could anyone link to the armies described in these threads? I want to see the one with the bejeweled minotaur and stuff and the pasty, sad nurgle worshipers.

Next time I venture to Riders i'll bring my digicam and hopefully get some photos if he's there. For now I'll search around for any pics.

Nell2ThaIzzay
13-07-2006, 09:57
If someday I'm president and peeps are like "Zomg!!! U R T3H IMM0RAL!! U W3NT 2 pr0NNET.c0m 30 years ago!!" I'd be like "HELLS YEHA!! MY RITE H00k iS STORNG 4 g00d r33z0nz LOL!"

Sorry for the leet.:angel:

Dude, that was awesome! lol

Don't apologize for the l33t. In the right context, l33t speak is t3h r0xx0rz!

:D

Nell2ThaIzzay
13-07-2006, 09:59
As far as the stereotypes go...

Well it's kinda funny.

I pretty much AM the stereotype (young guy who can't get laid, etc...), but I'm not like, socially inept. I'm always going out, I'm socially active outside of Warhammer, and I do shower and shave and all that stuff. Just a wierd coinkydink.

But luckily at the Games Workshop that I play at, the stereotype doesn't much exist.

YES, there are a couple uber dorks there, but for the most part, even the people that work there, it's a bunch of people that have a particular hobby that just so happens to be looked upon as nerdy, but nobody is really nerdy.

Just a bunch of guys getting together once a week for a few hours to roll some dice at each other.

Aekold
13-07-2006, 11:31
That the spritit of warhammer. Roll some dice whit a good company!

Akuma
13-07-2006, 13:14
Slaanesh is all about sex drugs and rock and roll

Viskrit
13-07-2006, 13:20
Yes-yes Nell, that's what it's all about. :)

But in defense of the dorks, they can be good company as well! :)

Nell2ThaIzzay
13-07-2006, 21:32
Yes-yes Nell, that's what it's all about. :)

But in defense of the dorks, they can be good company as well! :)

Oh, definatley!

I have nothing against dorks. Despite the fact that I'm not a stereotypical dork, in the fact that I do go out with friends to bars and clubs, shower, and wear nice clothes and stuff, I still play Warhammer, Magic: The Gathering, have X-Men crap all over my room, and sit around the house playing computer games. I am very much a dork

And there is nothing wrong with being a dork. Dorks are good people too. :)

EVERYONE has a little bit of a dork in them :)

And I find myself not too offended when someone calls me a nerd. It's like, "Ya damn skippy!"

Aekold
14-07-2006, 02:47
Dorks are fine. Im one. Still i have many friends. i have sex. i drink. i have an social life! and i worship slaanesh! =)

Thats all about it. WOrship slaanesh you to! and be popular like me ^^

ThousandPlateaus
14-07-2006, 13:10
I love Slaanesh, always have, and I've been playing GW stuff for a long time now - I just find his Bataille-esque levels of excess an excellent narrative strain running like a stream of gold thread through a turgid, repressive, terrifying world (the WH world not this one!)
Yet, I've been slowly moving away from his gaze over the past few years simply because of his reduction to base sexuality - don't get me wrong, this is a necessary part of of his oevre, but quickly becomes boring (as a theme and as an actuality, truth be told).
Obsession, vanity, Bacchanalia, beauty, true depravity are the essences of SheWhoThirsts - think of the very idea of a Keeper of Secrets, a bull-headed pseudo-Hindu deity, many-limbed, eros and thanatos at once, dancing, blessing and cursing with equal measure, retaining one's darkest thoughts in a golden box like the most succulent Turkish delight - popping them slowly into it's gaping wet mouth and crunching it's jewelled teeth on your bones and flesh as you stand agape, unaware of everything apart from the most beautiful, beautiful eyes that ever existed, like a thousand sunsets....

Not the easiest thing to represent on a 28mm miniature, truth be told.

EDIT - lol, I do go on a bit...

Aekold
14-07-2006, 13:36
I love Slaanesh, always have, and I've been playing GW stuff for a long time now - I just find his Bataille-esque levels of excess an excellent narrative strain running like a stream of gold thread through a turgid, repressive, terrifying world (the WH world not this one!)
Yet, I've been slowly moving away from his gaze over the past few years simply because of his reduction to base sexuality - don't get me wrong, this is a necessary part of of his oevre, but quickly becomes boring (as a theme and as an actuality, truth be told).
Obsession, vanity, Bacchanalia, beauty, true depravity are the essences of SheWhoThirsts - think of the very idea of a Keeper of Secrets, a bull-headed pseudo-Hindu deity, many-limbed, eros and thanatos at once, dancing, blessing and cursing with equal measure, retaining one's darkest thoughts in a golden box like the most succulent Turkish delight - popping them slowly into it's gaping wet mouth and crunching it's jewelled teeth on your bones and flesh as you stand agape, unaware of everything apart from the most beautiful, beautiful eyes that ever existed, like a thousand sunsets....

Not the easiest thing to represent on a 28mm miniature, truth be told.

EDIT - lol, I do go on a bit...

Ahh there is an true follower of she who thirsts!

Hail you my friend. And may you sword cut deep. And blood flow in pleasing patterns.

ThousandPlateaus
14-07-2006, 13:44
Ahh there is an true follower of she who thirsts!

Hail you my friend. And may you sword cut deep. And blood flow in pleasing patterns.

Indeed it shall, for there is pleasure to be found in all things.

Kriegsherr
14-07-2006, 14:02
Muahahaha..... heres a slanni-addict speaking.

I'm in the process of converting 10 slanni traitor soldiers for 40k. Yes, they're naked (besides of some armour at places not of interest). Yes, they are female. I'm also scratch building a succubi princess, and small female demons as demon swarms for a 40k slanni LatD force.

Am I sick because I do this? Well. To be honest, if you want decadent things in your army, you play Dark Elves/Eldar. If you want a gracious army, again, you can take anything Eldar/Elven. So what is the difference between the slannesh followers and the Elf/Eldar look? They are insane, thats the difference. Whatever a slanni follower does, he never knows where to stop.

So I think, leather, bo-orps and naked women fits really well into a slanni army as it portrais the last things our hedonistic and decadent culture still views as no-no.

If there is a good looking lady in a mini skirt and a nice shirt, all men would find her attractive. But if the same woman is wearing leather and PVC not hiding her... erh... best parts, has piercings all over, maybe two different eyecolors, pink hair, a whip in her hand and maybe some other persons blood rubbed unto her body, only the most depraved (sorry if there are people really into this style, didn't meant to hurt your feelings. From the "normal" peoples point of view I meant) would just find here attractive. All other would have mixed feelings about her. Find her alluring and yuck at the same time. And because of this, would stare at her double as long.
Thats what slannesh is all about. Going to extremes and not stopping until you die of pleausure... and playing around with the really thin layer of morale laid unto the depths of animal urges of men.
Its about the forbidden fruit.

Of course I also got a social life, non-nerd friends and women. But some things you better keep to the TT for own sake. The pleasure of torture for example ;)

Arryn
16-07-2006, 03:22
Sex Sells!

speedygogo
18-07-2006, 01:17
It is truely a cold day in hell when people try to make sexual perversity socially acceptable. Slaanesh is all about sex! That's where he's orgins lay.(pun intented) Slaanesh armies should be pornography and hedonistic because of the inherant natue of thei demon-god. Think about the intimidation factor, if enemies of slaanesh were fighting him they would be both fearful and excited by the fate awaiting them if they lost. Take a follower of khorne for example.How well is he going to fight slaanesh knowing that he could either be sodomized, death or have extremely pleasurable sex with daemonettes or just plain torturted if he loses. Slaanesh messes with your mind and resolve. You may be frenzied and have hatred in one battle against him and play to lose when you fight him next. To take away the sex element is to kill Slaanesh's character.

Gen.Steiner
18-07-2006, 01:40
Slaanesh is about sex...

...but also about having a pint with your best mate, having a laugh, watching a play, reading a book, warming your feet by the fire on a cold day, seeing the sun rise and set, indulging in your hobby, and so on.

Pleasure includes sex and sexuality, but is not limited to it. This said, my WFB Slaaneshi army is rather, ahem, De Sade/Story of O... :angel:

wallacer
18-07-2006, 04:42
Why is it that Americans have such a strong knee jerk reaction to sex?

I've noticed on other forums when similar topics come up that inevitably Americans really do seem to have a strident reaction to the whole issue of sex. I'm not trying to start a flame war, but I am genuinely interested in why this is so. Is it some hang over from America's puritan origins that hasn't yet disappeared? Indicative of a shift towards the right/Christian values in American wargamers? Or is it just that those of us outside the U.S. are more immoral :D

Slaanesh is a God (Goddess?) that embodies torture, drug abuse, murder, mass genocide, overeating and anything else that could be considered stimulatory and yet the ONLY thing that anyone ever seems to object to is the sexual aspect? :confused:

Can anyone enlighten me as to the reasons for this puzzling anomaly?
I honestly couldn't care less about the depiction of nudity in miniatures, so I have trouble understanding why it generates such a torrent of debate on the forums.

Nell2ThaIzzay
18-07-2006, 06:35

I've noticed on other forums when similar topics come up that inevitably Americans really do seem to have a strident reaction to the whole issue of sex. I'm not trying to start a flame war, but I am genuinely interested in why this is so. Is it some hang over from America's puritan origins that hasn't yet disappeared? Indicative of a shift towards the right/Christian values in American wargamers? Or is it just that those of us outside the U.S. are more immoral :D

Slaanesh is a God (Goddess?) that embodies torture, drug abuse, murder, mass genocide, overeating and anything else that could be considered stimulatory and yet the ONLY thing that anyone ever seems to object to is the sexual aspect? :confused:

I honestly couldn't care less about the depiction of nudity in miniatures, so I have trouble understanding why it generates such a torrent of debate on the forums.

As an American, I took no offense to your post, and my reply is nothing in response to any offense taken (because frankly, you're right)

Just wanted to say that I am an American, and I really think the "taboo" of sex is going way overboard. People get up in arms if a woman's breast is on display, but it's okay to depict violence on T.V. and movies.

I am totally anti-censorship, and I really don't think that nudity or sexuality is something that needs to be so "censored"... it's NATURAL... clothes are a man made concept, but nudity is natural, and so is sex.

I can understand not wanting your child to sit around watching porn (as it's more than just "sex", it's depicting females as sexual objects that are to be submissive to male desires, etc...), but hot damn there's no reason to start a riot if a woman's breast is exposed on television (and for the record, as a hetero sexual male, I would feel the same way about a man's penis being exposed. Maybe not something I personally wanna see, but I wouldn't be offended if one was exposed on TV... just so you know there's no kind of double standard there)

Smoking Frog
18-07-2006, 08:02
I like tits. Big, juicy, round and shapely tits.

i agree; slaanesh is the god of exess and headonism, liberten and open minded, not promiscuous and dirty minded.

Since when did liberty (and all that's associated) become so perverted as to be associated with Slaanesh? The Prince of Pleasure is just that. Pleasure comes from far more sources than sex (really, come on, you don't feel pleased when listening to your favourite music? Or walking down a beautifully built church (or building for that matter)? You don't feel satiated hold a chuck of gold or jewellery on your person? There's more to pleasure, boys!).

Excess, hedonism, promiscuity, perversion, torture, wanton orgies (ever wondered why the term "Orgy of Violence" exists?), to do as you want and not have to do as you must (slavery is inherent then), these are the trademarks of Slaanesh. Everything from enjoying a simple luxury, like a fine wine, a walk on a pristine beach, a piece of jewellery, to sick and perverted displays of sexual mutilation and orgies of violence are the domains of the Prince of Pleasure. Anything unnecessary, anything that is a luxury is the domain of Slaanesh.

Not just sex, but jewellery, wine, violence. These are the simplest examples. Violent domination over another being is a pleasure. Telling others what to do, and watching them do it, is a pleasure. Why do you think shows like "Big Brother" here in Australia are so popular? It goes back to a perverted sense of power, as you can watch what everyone is doing without their knowledge. Same thing with sexual voyeurism, its a display of power over another, that creates pleasure. Pleasure from a source of power. Ever wondered why those who have power defend it so, and why everyone desires power, even in the rush to disguise that fact from the rest of the world?

Pleasure comes from so many different sources, sex isn't even the beginning of it. Pleasure can derive from power, the display of power, the use and abuse of power, just as it can the appreciation of an object or setting, the pleasing tones of sounds around you that form a pattern of some form, the pleasure is derived from discerning the pattern, which boils down to perceived power in your mind.

That is what Slaanesh is about. Decadent indulgence. Neither good nor evil, but with vast potential to be either.

I can understand not wanting your child to sit around watching porn (as it's more than just "sex", it's depicting females as sexual objects that are to be submissive to male desires, etc...), but hot damn there's no reason to start a riot if a woman's breast is exposed on television (and for the record, as a hetero sexual male, I would feel the same way about a man's penis being exposed. Maybe not something I personally wanna see, but I wouldn't be offended if one was exposed on TV... just so you know there's no kind of double standard there)

Eh? As a straight male, then you know just how ridiculous men look in pornographic material. Women are seen as goddess-like objects in most pornographic materials, especially lesbian related ones. I'd say men are the ones being put down, just look at those stupid grin on their faces and the silly animal sounds they make. They are treated like dogs (come here man thing and do me a good one). You don't let your kids watch that because it trivialises something as precious as sex and sexual expression, it creates a fantasy world that a lot of people feel very disappointed about and it promotes a sense of compulsory promiscuity, which means it will feel like sex and promiscuity is a necessary burden, it becomes trivialised, it loses its value, its pleasures become too familiar and then any real pleasure has to come from an extreme.

I hope we don't want sex to be a necessary burden here.

The human is such a beautiful creature, and I admire it's physique in every way. Slaaneshi Daemonettes are scary looking things with six tits. The tits are for show, they would rip you into little bits in their wanton orgies of destruction.

As such, I like tits.

Edit: Added extra letters to make things make sense.

Also, I like tits.

Dr Death
18-07-2006, 08:21
men are the ones being put down, just look at those stupid grin on their faces and the silly animal sounds they make

Well i suppose the reason for men being potrayed as the ugly and stupid ones in pornography is for the benefit of the watcher. Pornography is fantasy, it's the fantasy of having sex with the beautiful (however skindeep it may be) voluptuous woman in the film/photoset. The watcher cant consider themselves part of that fantasy if the man is 101 times better looking than he. Therefore the men chosen for pornfilms aimed at blokes are deliberately the most ugly, ropey, apelike men they can find so that the watcher has the satisfaction of "well if he can pull her..."

In a sense it's another show of dominance and ego: The watcher is made to feel good about his own looks and sexual inadequacies by comparing them to the bloke in the film. That way, one can easily usurp said ape-man and picture oneself in the context of the scenes being played out. If the man was a sculpted, muscle laden male model, you couldnt get that same satisfaction because there would be a level of competition and you would possibly even feel a level of inferiority.

Dr Death

Eniac
18-07-2006, 08:21
Slaanesh is a God (Goddess?)

Deity :D

My thoughts on the subject lie somewhere in the middle. On the one hand I can appreciate that not every Slaanesh army has to be covered in boobs and fetish gear. Slaanesh is of course more well rounded deeper than that. As mentioned earlier (I think:confused: ) followers of Slaanesh are just as likely to be obsessed with music, art, poetry or any of a billion different "finer things"

However, I'm far too lazy to do anything about it. Ergo if I ever collected a Slaanesh army it would probably be straight out of the box, boobs bums and claws. GW have effectively done most of my thinking for me. They realise, as a male, I have a certain level of attraction for the shapely female form. Quite a coincidence no? :rolleyes:. So it helps to market Slaanesh as Sex (very thinly veiled of course).

Pravus
18-07-2006, 09:45
The way I see it is that if someone wants to theme their Slaanesh army around sex then that's fine. Ideologically, Slaanesh's auspice is much wider. Therefore, at worst, a sex-themed army is rather unoriginal. Personally I prefer the "Cult of Personality" theme - a horde army led by a powerful charismatic leader for whom his minions will do anything to please him. If people want to criticise it along the lines of "ZOMG - warez teh titzorz at u noob!" then frankly they can stick their steed of slaanesh where the sun doesn't shine.

Eniac
18-07-2006, 11:40
I find the problem is that GW simply does not give us the option. Sure we can convert to our hearts content, but what about us overloaded working joes with limited budgets and no time?

If we want to play the joy that is Slaanesh we just have to go with what is presented. And to be fair the only Slaanesh bits contain only boobs, bums and slender armour (and then the armour is only 2 specific character models!)

ThousandPlateaus
18-07-2006, 12:16
I don't think that's true at all - GW does give you the option, only the daemonettes and boobwyrms are naked and lascivious (exactly as they should be according to all fluff) - all the knights, characters, beastmen and warriors are fully clothed/armoured.

The thread was started as a response to the cliché that slaanesh has become - people converting that godawful Lilith Hairspray [sic] miniature into a champion 'koz she is teh evil kinkzzorz' and replacing thugs/marauders with witch elves, painted naked, and giving doombulls giant GS cocks. Yawn.

The GW straight-from-the-box army is pretty mundane, all things considered, but the joy of collecting a Chaos horde is doing something more interesting, inherently more chaotic.

Yes, of course Slaanesh is about sex, but not about any kind of normative sex as we could begin to understand it, it's pleasure at it's most extreme source, which is excess, pure excess - an ars erotica; of Eros, but perverse so as to include Thanatos - the great contradiction.

True pleasure is too terrifying to comprehend, as it is there that reason departs - this is the spirit that SheWhoThirsts encapsulates, insatiability, devotion to the most minor of causes, the pettiest things, bitterness, spite, jealousy, rage, everything to excess, cleaving apart the eardrums to hear new sounds, the drive into bodily abjection to create new orifices, sexual abstinance, worship of Idols, avatars, and the plastic arts, self-loathing and self-obsession. It's not about just getting your rocks off with some bird with six tits. Life in Slaanesh is insanity!

Bingo the Fun Monkey
18-07-2006, 21:38

Slaanesh is a God (Goddess?) that embodies torture, drug abuse, murder, mass genocide, overeating and anything else that could be considered stimulatory and yet the ONLY thing that anyone ever seems to object to is the sexual aspect?

*Men dressed in black drag you down a stairwell. In a dark room there is a desk; I am sitting there. There is one light bulb hanging from the ceiling, a handgun, a six pack of Budweiser, and a Bible* :D

I hope I didn't come across as mr. censorship, although I probably did. I have never complained about the daemonette models, or the general profusion of tits in WHFB in this last edition. I was, however, protesting a giant penis on the table in a room where there are children under 8 years old. Breast implants, while fine, are in bad taste. Simply, I just wanted (when I posted the original post) to express my fustration that people consider Slaanesh a SEX GOD and not a GOD OF PLEASURE AND EXCESS. I did go overboard and started stereotyping people, so i'm sorry for that.

As for why Americans are so hushed up about it? Yea, it's our puritan roots...if not that then something else. Can I protest the stereotype of American CITIZENS that are all fat and lazy and drink Budweiser/Nattie Ice, drive SUVs, love bush, disrespect every other nation on earth, recite Fox news verbatim, etc etc etc? We're human beings too. I would say that I am a Moral person, but that puts me pretty far from the Right/Religious/Conservative/sober end of the spectrum, imo.

Neknoh
19-07-2006, 09:06
Slaanesh in his purest and most twisted form isn't sex, nor is he pleasure, decadence or perfection.

Slaanesh in his purest and most twisted form is true madness, his closest followers do try to achieve their own personal pleasure, be it by being beautiful, torture (in the twisted degree of ripping the skin off people little by little and then forcing them to eat it for example), sex (which I hardly think can give you enough pleasure when you've crossed the line into true Slaaneshi endulgance) or anything else.

Everything you do as a true slaaneshi follower will be so overtly grotesque, excessive and sick to the rest of the world that you will be considered a monster by normal beings, whilst you only will feel one thing, imperfection, you strive to achieve perfection and pleasure, but you need more, you can never be perfect in your own eyes, and whatever pleasure you derive from your "games" doesn't last long at all.

Once you decend into that madness, you will be looked upon as a god by the ones who are on their way to fall that deep into slaanesh, BUT, you will be looked upon with discust even from your own troops unless Slaanesh has blessed you with either extreme beauty (might even be to the limit of you looking like a charicatyr with tentacles and claws but you'd be insanely beautiful no less) or a voice that can put thousands under your command with a single whisper and keep them devoted to you no matter what.

Slaanesh is also the god of pure dedication, we know what religious zealots can do, suicide bombers are fundamentalistic and religious zealots more times than not, BUT, a follower devoted to Slaanesh would make one of those persons seem to be like atheists in comparisons. A person devoted to slaanesh will fight on longer than the Black Knight from Monthy Python and the Holy Grail, you can chop his body in half, but as long as his heart keeps beating and his brain keeps functioning, he will pull himself toward you with his mutilated hands whilst his inneards are dragging behin him.

My general is mad, he is schizzofrenic, his former self almost completely erradicated by his Slaaneshi side, his former self is screaming out to stop inside his head during torture and various orgies, but the slaaneshi side just takes pleasure in those things and urges him to reach even higher levels of "perfection", his Slaaneshi side ALSO takes pleasure in feeling the power over his own former self, locked inside a cage of glowing ironbarrs inside the world of ether, being forced to see what deeds he is doing.

Smoking Frog
19-07-2006, 10:32
Neknoh, that is a sweet sweet theme for your general. I likey very muchy! :)

OK, back to our regularly scheduled program...

Kriegsherr
19-07-2006, 12:16
Well.... fact is, yes, slannesh is the god of pleasures.

But as a matter of fact, like warriors following khorne are on a downward slope from the heroic, brave warrior to the mindless, screaming slaughterer, so are slanni followers on the road from nice, hedonistic, charismatic fellows that everyone likes to sadistic, perverted maniacs needing ever higher doses of their drugs and pleasures.

Its a little bit humans nature, that he always needs higher doses of his "drugs" to get him excited again... or a period without the "drugs".

The chaos gods now turn this into extremes. "Damnation" is the self-destructive way of getting to extremes with somethings and loosing all self-control, or willingly giving it up to gain more pleasure from it. The unfullfiledness following after each such "fix" is the torture that comes alongside of the traditional "damnation".

So its a nice and rather modern way of translating "damnation" into 40k

Always remember, the guys fighting for chaos openly have mostly always fallen very deep on this downward slope, as most of the less depraved and insane followers either not realize that they follow chaos gods or don't want to show this in public.

Neknoh
19-07-2006, 12:22
There was a fanpiece in the Blacklibrary forum called The Inadvert Falls or something like that, the Slaanesh story is exactly what I was talking about and Kriegis here describes it quite well too

Neknoh
19-07-2006, 19:46
http://forum.blacklibrary.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1955&SearchTerms=Inadvert

I found it I found it!

And here is Nurgle

http://forum.blacklibrary.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1799&SearchTerms=Inadvert

metallegion
19-07-2006, 20:54
I personal think that is part of the fear/scariness of deamonetts is their sexual draw they have towards them.

as far as whats socialy acceptable.. well I think no matter what nationality you are this is a game. Sometimes people go too far... their should be no room for the a giant "Cuddle fish of Cathulu" on the gaming table!

Bingo the Fun Monkey
19-07-2006, 21:37
Actually I was planning a morghur army based on Cthulhu (as morghur), and lots of greenstuff+empire militia+zombies+spiky bitz from tyranids.

Death3965
20-07-2006, 07:30
i actually saw a very cool slanesh demeon legion not based on sex but a winter them they were blue and he custom made the chariots from glass so they look like ice its cool looking its just the people that have no creativty so they be odd instead