PDA

View Full Version : Creating Custom units

Malefic Scholar
03-12-2016, 08:18
As the title says, instead of studying for the final exams that I have next week im thinking on creating some custom tau units to represent the other races that make up the empire, such as humans, demiurg and niscar or felinids(want my cat ladies damn it) Does anyone have any idea if there are any rules out there for the creation of custom units?

theJ
03-12-2016, 11:51
instead of studying for the final exams that I have next week

uhm.... ok

*Ahem*

I don't think there are. I seem to recall there having been rules for custom vehicles, but that was way back in 2nd, so I doubt they'd be of much use.
That said, creating custom rules is an ancient and honoured practice, which I doubt even the most advanced of templates could ever truly do justice anyway.

Still, a few pointers, more or less in order:
*Start with the basic concept of your units; what they are, why they are, how they work, what they can do, and what they can not do, and make sure their basic rules reflect this, ideally while using as few "custom" rules as possible.
*Follow up by scratching any "excess" rules the unit doesn't actually need, ESPECIALLY if it's a low-cost hordish unit meant to be used in large numbers, as every rule a unit is given makes the unit just a touch more confusing and clumsy to use in the field, thus making it more frustrating and un-fun.
*Playtest, playtest, playtest, playtest... and keep a few questions in mind while doing so:
-Is the unit performing its intended role?
-Is the unit countered by what is intended to counter it?
-Is there ever any confusion concerning what the unit can and can not do?
-And most importantly, is everyone involved having fun using the new unit/s?
*If any of the above comes up as a "no", change the rules to compensate and playtest some more - repeat as necessary until everything seems to be working out ok.
*Finally... dead last, put a tentative point cost on the unit. This is always the LAST thing you should do, and only AFTER you are happy with the overall performance on the tabletop.

Oh, and... write everything down as you go - notepad is your friend - and don't hesitate to post it here, as I am sure I would not be the only one interested in reading about it. ESPECIALLY the basic roles, counters, and concepts - trust me, it'll help keep the unit focused and on-point, and stops you from getting distracted by smaller details.

Ironbone
06-12-2016, 07:38
Does anyone have any idea if there are any rules out there for the creation of custom units?
Well, there are few additional guidelines I would follow :

- Try no to crate units out of place, unfitting to the fluff and setting. It's BIG universe, sure, and lots of wired things can happen in 40k, but do not push the limits beyond of what is "believable". Like exo-armoured guardsmen, or space wolfs on space wolfs (oh, wait.....)
- Try to build units that can be use as "count-as" something that already exist. How aggravating it would be to convert custom unit, use it few times, and then having no use of it at all ?
- Generally speaking, it's easier to start with smaller custom units, like single special character than full blown horde.
- And please, don't be GW, playtest and tweak stuff. Hardly anyone creates masterpice at first try.

The Black Shield
06-12-2016, 08:12
There were rules for humans in the Tau Empire once, but I can't remember what book they were in.

Ironbone
06-12-2016, 08:42
There were rules for humans in the Tau Empire once, but I can't remember what book they were in.
Imperial Armour 3 - taros campaign, both 1st and 2nd editions.

The Black Shield
06-12-2016, 09:43
That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure.

Commissar von Toussaint
07-12-2016, 23:13
Your easiest path is probably simply to look at other existing vehicles and see if anything out there fills the role you have in mind. Yes, 2nd had creation rules but that was because there were so few variants out there. How many lists are even out there? Surely there's something very close if not identical to what you want.

If there isn't, maybe it's because the play balance for your dream tank is beyond even what GW can stomach. :p

Malefic Scholar
08-12-2016, 05:20
Maybe modernise the old squat codex for demiurg?

Charistoph
08-12-2016, 15:57
Someone on dakka (http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/634211.page) has an updated Vehicle and MC design rule set. It's pretty good.