PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a webbased armybuilder

bran
12-07-2006, 02:45
For WH fantasy you have various pages (like thegreatuncleanone.com) where you can build your army on the net.

I was wondering if anyone knows any similiar page for WH40k?

muskrat
12-07-2006, 04:42
Have you heard of Army Builder the program, from Wolf Lair Studios? it costs money for the full version, but the demo is just as great

Latro_
12-07-2006, 09:25
Is all that army builder stuff legal?

xibo
12-07-2006, 09:31
Is all that army builder stuff legal?
afaik, you can give two guard models the honorifica imperalis, so ab doesn't validate some things

cookiescrumble
12-07-2006, 12:53
Army builder is kinda a WIP program, they do realise frequent updates though.

Latro_
12-07-2006, 13:24
afaik, you can give two guard models the honorifica imperalis, so ab doesn't validate some things

Lol no i meant as in the law.

DogmaRaider
12-07-2006, 18:41
You have to watch stuff like this extremely carefully though I'm still thinking about building an online army list type web site for myself. I'm kind of scared of the legalities however.

With Army Builder (and correct me if I'm wrong here), you download modules that other people have created that work with the software. My understanding is that you're not supposed to create these things because they contain the point values of the units and wargear and such. You obviously can't republish these because of IP. Its not Army Builders fault that someone created and published the module since they write the software generically so you can create an army list for many different games.

If you extend that same functionality to an online web site and include those army point values with the units and wargear, you're in effect republishing without permission. That's why you can't post army lists with specific point costs for wargear and such.

The best thing that I've found is if you want to do something like this, would be to provide a generic army with a name and description and then have a separate section that provides a text box where a user could type up the unit and the add in the point cost for that unit. I don't even think that you can list whether it would be a Troop, Elite, HQ, etc. unit type since that's part of their army system as well.

Again I don't know if I got all of the issues correct. A online version of an army builder for 40K would be awesome. You could link to public versions of your army list and it would have all the codex rules for building and such there so you don't make a mistake. I think the reason they don't do it because it would bring "definition" to the game. It was a pen and paper wargame before and they don't want to change that.

I am interested in pursuing it even with GW though I want to develop the idea more. Maybe have it as a subscription service where you pay a monthly fee to keep them online. You could even have a tie in for official and custom campaigns and tournaments. Even for marketing purposes they could tie it in to their online store and the forums they already have. It would be a great organizational tool for them and us! What do you think?

Latro_
12-07-2006, 18:48
You any good at web development Dogma? hehe we could team up and put a proposition to GW for such a service. They could sell it as a product online and we'd take a %. lol Dont think there is the demand compared to the time taken to make such an app thou.

EldarZach
12-07-2006, 23:48
I use Army Builder, but has anyone ever used the offical GW thingeys? These:

http://store.us.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.us?do=Individual&code=60040199004&orignav=9
and
http://store.us.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.us?do=Individual&code=60040199003&orignav=9

bran
12-07-2006, 23:54
Yeah well... What's with all the legal stuff anyway? ;)
Yeah I know of the AB-program. But it isn't webbased if I remember correctly? I don't think they're any "legal" armybuilding programs that is webbased. Legal isn't the right word for it, but I can't think of anything better.
The thing is that it happens sometimes at work that the hotel (I'm working night hours) just dies down and there's nothing to do. That's why I need a webbased armybuilding program, we're not allowed to install anything on the computers here at work. So I want a solution to these terrible and horrific hours of nothingness.

Your idea/thinking is great Dogma. If it were to be true. I don't think the GW is intrested in that project though, it's more likely they will see it as a possible loss of income.

Basically what I want is a site where the name of the unit is, cost for the entire unit, possible upgrades and what catagory they're under (HQ, Troop etc.) But if you guys haven't heard about it I doubt its existence.

Brush your teeth
12-07-2006, 23:54
i use the official GW ones, they take some getting used to but overall their not bad, problem im having now is as i explore other game systems i have to go back to pen and paper method. so ill look into wolf lair

Unseeing Eye
12-07-2006, 23:55
The IALs from GW are notorious for taking ages to update.

bran
12-07-2006, 23:55
I use Army Builder, but has anyone ever used the offical GW thingeys? These:

http://store.us.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.us?do=Individual&code=60040199004&orignav=9
and
http://store.us.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.us?do=Individual&code=60040199003&orignav=9

Nope, never heard about it. Don't know anyone that has heard about it either.

Latro_
13-07-2006, 07:26
Talk of web based stuff aside I have always made lists on a spread sheet prog. Over the years it almost become a tradition.

Chris
13-07-2006, 16:09
Talk of web based stuff aside I have always made lists on a spread sheet prog. Over the years it almost become a tradition.

I was thinking about building a spreadsheet for Tau Empire. I used to use the old version of Army Builder (2.2 I think), but Tau Empire is the only army I have that isn't in the old AB version and I'm don't think the new version is worth the $40 they want.

TheWarSmith
13-07-2006, 17:08
Back in the old days of early 3rd edition, there were 40k rosters on Portent.net that used Excel spreadsheet and worked wonderfully.

Now with all of GW's modular lists, that becomes pretty tricky.

Latro_
13-07-2006, 18:39
When i say use a spread sheet i literyy mean typing it all out hehe. Then add colour etc and using auto sum.

sephiroth87
13-07-2006, 20:50
An excel spreadsheet takes 5 minutes. And you can tell your stuff apart, which is good.

DaSquigBrain
13-07-2006, 21:10
Armybuilder is great. Worth every penny.

It's legal, because the program itself doesn't include any GW info, so they can sell it without copyright issues. The army files themselves are free downloads, created by users.

It also has files for all sorts of different game systems.

I haven't used the GW product myself, but I've heard it's not really supported.

DogmaRaider
14-07-2006, 02:27
You any good at web development Dogma? .... Dont think there is the demand compared to the time taken to make such an app thou.

I would say your correct. I'm thinking of a total solution that you could have that would encompass everything from their forums to their store. That way its more enticing to them to implement.

I' m not even close to a level where I could even think about something like that. Though I must admit just the army part would be nice.....

muskrat
14-07-2006, 03:32
Army Builder from WL stays within legal bounds- it warns you that it is illegal to use the program if you don't own the codices that you will be using, and also mentions how it is seperate from gw in every way but gratitude.

Also, it says that it will discontinue development and distribution if GW ever expresses concern- so far they haven't.

I bought it, and love it very much. Chaos armies work like a charm- they invalidate just as the codex would if it could talk. Also it includes options to add "other" categories, such as for VDR vehicles (as Alpha Legion I make extensive use of 'looted' tanks and such, so VDR is a blessing, even if a bit higher priced.)

The only problem I have is that allies cannot be combined in one list. For exmaple- if you start the program using csm rules (or any subset, from each chapter, up to and including LatD) you cannot add kroot mercenaries to that specific list- you must load up the kroot rules, choose the size, etc, then go back to the marine one and manually input their stats/etc as an "other" type category. By other, I mean just in the name, btw. It lets you select what the points mean on a force chart- or don't mean in the case of vdr transports that are attached to a squad.

Props, though, on including almost all chapter approved and forge world models- including each tank for the IG armored co, blood pact, and dreadclaws.

TheWarSmith
14-07-2006, 04:15
To: Latro and Sephiroth

Yeah, I type mine into excel and autosum as well. What I meant to say was there was a listing that had drop down tabs for wargear and unit choices so you never had to type in any number. Not NECESSARY, but it was cool