PDA

View Full Version : Double Charge

Narok
12-07-2006, 09:33
What happens if my unit charge in a pursuit/arrasment movement and in the next turn the enemy charge my unit? Who attack first?

Zilverug
12-07-2006, 10:09
The way we play, your unit first attacks models in the unit it charged, then the second charging unit attacks your unit, then the unit you charged makes return attacks and finally the models that haven't attacked in your unit will perform return attacks.

McMullet
12-07-2006, 10:14
I assume you mean overrun/pursuit into a fresh enemy?

I'm not sure that it's covered in the rules, but I've always played that if unit A overruns into unit B, then is counter-charged by unit C, unit A can strike first against unit B, as they charged them first, but cannot strike C at all. Alternatively, if they wish to strike unit C, they must allow unit C to strike first and any attacks against C do not get charge bonusses.

Example:

Knights overrun into Gnoblars.
Ogres countercharge Knights in the flank.

The knights charged the Gnoblars before the Ogres charged the knights. Hence, they can strike at the Gnoblars before the Ogres strike them. However, that means they forfeit attacks vs. the Ogres.

Alternatively, they can elect to attack the Ogres too, but since the Ogres charged the Knights, they get to attack first. The Knights may then attack the Gnoblars (counting as charging, so they still strike before the Gnoblars and get strength bonusses for Lances etc.) and the Ogres (not charging, so basic strength).

This means that everyone gets to strike at other units in the appropriate sequence.

Alternatively, you can simply have the most recent chargers strike first, so it would be Ogres, Knights, then finally Gnoblars. This is a simpler way to do it, but it does disadvantage the Knights unduly (and for me, it seems odd that they lose attacks from Ogre-casualties when they charged the Gnoblars before the Ogres turned up).

Finally, you could say that the two charging units strike in order of initiative, whilst still denying the Knights their bonusses vs. the Ogres.

Atrahasis
12-07-2006, 10:15
Attacks are worked out in charge order, with no unit striking a unit that has charged it before the charging unit has struck.

So. A overruns into B and is subsequently charged by C:

A strikes B
C strikes A
A strikes C
B strikes A

T10
12-07-2006, 10:22
An article in the Chrinicles addresses this issue, which is a bit more detailed than Zilverug's summary.

(Edit: See Atrahasis' post)

It should be easy to determine the "order" of charges: Units that pursue into fresh enemy will come before charges declared in the following turn.

Related:
In the case of two units pursuing into each other it seems appropriate to resort to Initiative and then a dice-off to determine who strikes first.

-T10

McMullet
12-07-2006, 10:49
Ah, rightyho.

I had, for some reason, assumed that unit A couldn't strike in two distinct Initiative steps.

Zilverug
13-07-2006, 11:09
So. A overruns into B and is subsequently charged by C:
A strikes B
C strikes A
A strikes C
B strikes A

Shouldn't it be:
A strikes B
C strikes A
B strikes A
A strikes C
because the A versus B combat started before the combat between A and C?

T10
13-07-2006, 12:28
Shouldn't it be:
A strikes B
C strikes A
B strikes A
A strikes C
because the A versus B combat started before the combat between A and C?

No, the chargers go first. If the combat had "already started" was an issue then C should be striking after B.

-T10

DeathlessDraich
13-07-2006, 12:37
This is the best official site for this question:

http://uk.games-workshop.com/chronicles/commentary-resolution/1/

I'll quote the most relevant section:

"When a combat involves charging units from both sides, the chargers strike in the order in which they charged. However, models may not strike against an enemy that has charged them until that charging unit's attacks are resolved. All units striking first are allowed all the normal charge bonuses for lances, etc. A unit that has been charged and is not charging itself will always strike after all charging units only the order of the chargers' attacks are relevant."

which means B attacks last as Atrahasis mentioned.