PDA

View Full Version : Inquisitor's project blog

Pages : [1] 2

The Inquisitor
12-07-2006, 21:22
SUMMARY OF THREAD TOPICS:

Update: 5/1/10- I updated my thoughts on the hobby, and now have decided to just put it in blog, instead of at the front of it. Go to Here, and you can find it.

-----------------------
Summary of topics:

Since this thread is getting long, I thought I'd try to provide an index at the beginning (mainly because for the first few pages, there's just a lot of preparatory work, talk about what to do, etc.) That way, if you just want to see a particular topic/subject, you can go right to it.

DA: Dark (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42007&page=3) angels tac squad (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42007&page=3), DA characters (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42007&page=7), 20 more marines (WIP) (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42007&page=9)
Necrons: Monolith (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42007&page=11), scarabs (WIP), Destroyer (WIP), Warriors (WIP)
IG: Baneblade (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42007&page=10)
Chaos: Chaos Baneblade (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42007&page=10),
Bunches of projects to finish: here (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42007&page=9)

I also recommend using the 'search thread' function if you want to find posts related to a particular topic.

the original first post follows:

Hello everyone, inquisitor here. Long-time portent/warseer member, though I don't post as much anymore, but I'm glad to see the old portent community is still alive and thriving. The purpose of this quick message here is to ask a question/favor of the warseer community in the context of providing a little background.

Been involved in the hobby for many years, a particularly tabletop gaming for the past 6-7 years. I had high aspirations of building particular forces, armies, and did collect literally thousands of $$$ worth of models and hobby equipment. However, most of my spare time was spent doing painting for other people, but rarely completed anything for myself.

This has been disappointing for some time, but even more so lately becauseI find that I feel so unmotivated, uncreative, etc. as to really have some difficulty completing projects that I had wanted to before. Part of this comes from doing so many things I have no interest in, to the point to where I actually stopped painting for some time.

Despite all this, I would still very much like to have my own collection painted, but have had difficulty finding the motivation/desire/drive. Part of the difficulty has been having so much that I could do as well. I wouldn't mind even having a single army painted, even just a playable force.

So, this leads me to my first and most important question for those that would like to respond: are there people here that would be interested in not only watching the process of building an army, but also contributing feedback to the process of selection of Army, theme, colors, or what have you?

This kind of interaction might really help me get the creative juices flowing again, allow me to bounce ideas off of other like-minded people, give me feedback on things so I can improve, and even allow me to demonstrate some of the techniques that I picked up over the years that some people might find interesting.

Thoughts? I'd appreciate any feedback on this.

Here's a short list of some projects that I have, or that I could do (easily could build an army of 2000pt with any of them) --

-- Dark Angels/ravenwing/deathwing or really any space marine chapter.
-- Eldar -- any craft world, excepting Saimhan
-- Tyranids
-- Steel legion- 2 army boxes and tons of tanks. 60 old stormies for a grenadier army.
-- Tau-
-- Daemonhunters-- a small force.
-- Necrons

I'd actually sold off a lot of my collection... but still have quite a lot.

just for completeness
Warhammer fantasy Battle--
-- Chaos, Lizard men, Skaven, O&G, Bretonnians, HE, VC

After seeing what people think, all progress with more things. I'll post some pictures shortly of my incomplete work, my collection, my workstation, stuff like that. if people would be interested in doing this, I could even do a quick poll or something.

just given the people what they want... :-)

A couple of small conditions though-- I don't wanna spend a lot of money, I want to use what I have. I don't want to be in dutch with the wife! :)

Thanks for your time, and hopefully your support. Believe it or not I feel better for just asking.

n00bLord
12-07-2006, 21:40
I would love to se you build a force of Nids up and work with schemes. I just started mine and they sure do look ugly compared to my CSM paint job, but that will change after practice. Yeah I'll tune in to see what you can put out.

spikyjames
12-07-2006, 22:18
i say yeah go for it, check some of the links in my sig there's an army link in it. this forum kept me motivated throughout the project and i got it finished in just over 2 months. you'll most of the time get very good feedback from the guys on the site.

james

The Inquisitor
12-07-2006, 22:26
I would love to se you build a force of Nids up and work with schemes. I just started mine and they sure do look ugly compared to my CSM paint job, but that will change after practice. Yeah I'll tune in to see what you can put out.

thanks for the input. Tyranids were actually one of two armies that I wanted to initially build for Warhammer 40,000 -- the other one was eldar. However, when I started collecting, tyranids were not going to be done for while. so this is high on my preference to finish as well. along the way, I seemed to collect everything else.

I have a lot of the old models (3rd ed...), and a new carnifex. I used to have one of the monsters from FW but sold it. I've toyed with a scheme similar to the studio army- bone & red, but a dark green in place of the red. Then, over time, I started thinking about something more gross and organic... like greens, browns and yellows. The last scheme I had was geen with brown/bone carapace, or a mottled dark brown/black carapace with yellow spots.

I had a friend who liked the idea of a 'bowl of rotten fruit' for tyranids as well- with lots of colors, and began thinking about some wilder colors. So, don't know. Input would be good if I end up doing is first.

Also: if I get enough input and consensus, I'll paint up a model or two, get feedback and go from there. I planned on this being a more interactive process for those that are interested. If people are interested in particular techniques and I know how to use them, I'll do that as well- that way hopefully this can be informative for everyone as well.

Mortare
12-07-2006, 22:27
Sounds like a good plan, always happy to watch an army grow and mature, even from birth.

Of the options you listed there, I'd like to see your Steel Legion- there are plenty of marines, tau and nids around here at the mo, but havent seen a SL army for quite a while, and they should be relatively painless to get on with.

Let us know which YOU would like to do though, its for you to enjoy doing afterall

The Inquisitor
12-07-2006, 22:40
Sounds like a good plan, always happy to watch an army grow and mature, even from birth.

Of the options you listed there, I'd like to see your Steel Legion- there are plenty of marines, tau and nids around here at the mo, but havent seen a SL army for quite a while, and they should be relatively painless to get on with.

Let us know which YOU would like to do though, its for you to enjoy doing afterall

Steel legion is something I've wanted to do for some time, esp. with a grenadier option or something. I have one of those forge world basilisks that is enclosed... fits perfectly into my army. I also have enough heavy weapons that I bought off of somebody to field an entire heavy weapons platoon in addition to putting heavy weapons into each unit. I was thinking of a grey with desert yellow/buff/sand color scheme for the vehicles, and fieldgrey coats for the force overall. Input, of course, is welcome, and this project is 'mouldable.'

re: you last point, this is where my project may be different than other people's that have been here before -- I'd like to have input, and even do something that the majority of people would like to see. I won't do anything that I completely don't have any interest in doing and retain veto power, but there's not many things that fit that description.

I'd like to show pics, but should I upload them here or host them somewhere? Suggestions?

btw- thanks everyone who's chiming in. This is already getting me excited.

Mortare
12-07-2006, 23:02
That colour scheme sounds pretty sound, the tanks should look pretty good. Do you have the codex? I would recommend starting off with a small force, maybe 500pts, that you can then use if you want. Gives you enough to work on, but stops you being overwhelmed, and then you can either continue with that army, or jump to another project. This also means that you can get a number of forces done to use against each other, or to give yourself a different style of play

Rabid Bunny 666
12-07-2006, 23:43
I'd upload them at www.photobucket.com as it normally works.

Edit: How about a heavily Gothicised (Another wound in the English Language :D) Deathwing army?

The Inquisitor
13-07-2006, 00:41
I'd upload them at www.photobucket.com as it normally works.

Edit: How about a heavily Gothicised (Another wound in the English Language :D) Deathwing army?

Thanks! Just signed up, and I'll add the address in my sig. I'm going to load up pics soon of partially finished projects and the like.

re: gothic deathwing... hmmmm. You know, the whole 'gothic' thing- I like and don't like. What would you suggest? Do you have some links to what you are referring to? Something that would look really cool is to represent something archaic, but I don't know if I like the whole Gothic look as much.

interestingly, this is the only reason that I wanted to do DA in the first place, was to field a deathwing army. I have old school termies, but I think they still look good... all stoic-like.... But, I've been tossing around the idea of doing something different... like doing a dark green body (not DA green, but something like a vallejo dark green or russian armor with black (this would be the color of the DA), with a single bone shoulder, bone eagle and bone (colored) head... (hehe no pun intended for their stubborn nature...). Think of it like actual field dress for the termies... so they are not getting shot at too much.

What do people think? They still will have markings of DW- Can't decide if I will paint them or use decals.

Right now, they are painted bone, and I was going to give them a green shoulder. I have a metal dark angels dread base painted and somewhat weathered, but not finished. I'll have to post a pick. In total I have currently 2-5-man squad's, a 'master' that is the regular termie captain (I love that fig.) + command squad.

I planned to have another Character (librarian or chaplain...), another dread, a land raider, and perhaps another five-man squad. I have probably 10-15 more terminators, a set of the old plastic terminators, a set of generic terminators -- 4-5 -- that I bought off somebody. I think I have some old lightning claw terminators as well.

The thing that has stopped and he has been color selection, and little things like whether to base them on new 40 mm bases or keep them on their old bases -- which apparently I guess I can still do.

Wow! thanks for the suggestions --You guys are awesome.

Bronka
13-07-2006, 00:53
Always interested to see a project develop from the very beginning. :)

First off, a little disclaimer: you should paint whatever the hell you want to paint, because if you just do whatever other people want, doesn't that just put you in the same position that destroyed your drive in the first place? :confused:

Anyway, assuming you're still interested in my input ( :D ) I'd like to see you do an Eldar army, just cos I like them! If you're really that interested in the input of others, perhaps we could all work out a unique craftworld together. Come up with a new colour scheme, make up some background and base the army composition on it, etc. Maybe even agree on some themed character conversions, if you're up for that sort of thing. I'd be happy to share some ideas!

Most importantly though, good luck with whatever you decide to do - and I hope you can rekindle your mojo!

Deadleyheadley
13-07-2006, 01:05
Good luck to you with your armys :) ,I can tell that having a log and all the comments ive recived for my tread has help me keep going ,So Im looking forward to seeing some pictures

Lord_Draken
13-07-2006, 05:36
Hey I cant wait to see some pics of these army's they should be great and that eldar idea seemed like a good idea for id like to see what you came up with the Nids should be pretty interesting to if you did them

Anyways keep up with the good work (more like thinking lol) and i hope u dont lose interest again

The Inquisitor
13-07-2006, 22:54
let me see if I can answer these one at a time --

Lord_Draken-- thanks the support. I aim to please.

Deadleyheadley-- it was your project in fact that motivated me to do this. So thanks.

Bronka-- thanks for supporting my decision and the whole process. Of course, I'm not to do anything I don't want to do, anything that looks too silly, or what have you. And, it wasn't necessarily doing projects for other people -- I actually enjoy this quite a lot. What I enjoy about it is doing projects that I might not ever do, or doing projects that I would like to do but don't wanna spend the money on. Getting paid for them was always a nice plus as well.

Mortare-- thanks. I really like a lot of World War II armor, so I might use some color schema based off of various camouflage patterns. I like the idea of starting small too.

What sucked about them was that all my energy went into doing those things, and not focusing on my own projects, and then I started getting fairly discouraged. The other thing is that I did a lot of these projects so I could get what I wanted to -- and that I couldn't do it because I didn't have the time or energy.

But, I'm not painting much for other people right now. Time to focus on the collection of stuff in my closet -- or the commander-in-chief will no longer allow me to do anything else I would like to do! :(

I would love to have people involved in the creative process -- hopefully this would provide enough voyeuristic pleasure to keep people providing feedback and reading this thread! :D

another big question for everyone -- would something like a poll be worthwhile to get more feedback from people on what they would like to see? I like as much readership is possible, and perhaps one of these in the main MPT forum would draw more people.

thoughts?

BTW- all see if I can start throwing up some pictures of my collection, incomplete figures, workspace, stuff like that.

The Inquisitor
18-07-2006, 02:16
update -- sorry I've not posted anything yet. I've had a bad turn of events, I injured my back as last weekend, and am in the process of recuperating. I'm not able to sit at all as of yet. Hopefully, by the end of this week, I'll be able to post some pictures.

a limitation this will impose, which will be interesting, is that I will not be able to spend a long time painting, at least at any given time. so, I'm hoping to make any project that I do fit within the parameters of not spending too much time, while still having acceptable results. This also means that I will use techniques that speed up my painting to a considerable degree.

It is likely that I won't get back to feeling "normal" for some time -- at least a few weeks (this has happened before, so I'm used to the timeframe it takes...). so, thanks for your patience. I will update this as soon as I can.

what I may do, is work on a variety of squads, which have been suggested that some people would have interest in. I could do a squad of tyrnaids, eldar,steel legion, death wing, and see what people think. That's just an idea. Any others? thanks again for everyone's input.

Scorpio
18-07-2006, 03:44
Dont do marines man too many around now a days(even though I love marines) Do SL havent seen them around in a long time. Sorry about the back but its still good to see logs like this.

P.S. whoever said gothicised DW all marines are pretty much gothic considering all the skulls and such around them. Heck even their language is called "High Gothic".

-Scorpio

The Inquisitor
25-07-2006, 07:01
Thanks everyone for waiting. I'll be posting some pics of potential projects tomorrow. My problem is that I've started so mahy projects, it's hard to know what to do. More on this tomorrow, when I take pics. Thanks!

The Inquisitor
26-07-2006, 05:25
O.k., as promised, here's a look at what is on my 'plate', my workspace, and such... top half of closet...

Oh, and thnx to deadly for assistance with photos. Worked great. Very easy, so I'll be able to post pics without probs.

lots of unopened boxes... scary to think this was completely packed not too long ago. I've been cleaning house.
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/project001Medium.jpg

Bottom half of closet, and the reason my wife loathes this hobby...

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/project002Medium.jpg

Current projects... mainly 'tinkering.' Also some projects I need to finish for some people. A bunch of squads from different armies are in this cabinet.http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/project003Medium.jpg

Here's a nice bucket of stuff that's been started... well, a lot of it. http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/project011Medium.jpg

to be continued below...

The Inquisitor
26-07-2006, 05:38
Some other pics...

This is the old workspace... Kinda cool. Worked to hold my spraybooth, painting equipment, and have a workspace, It's a cabinet, and when it closes up, it looks 'nice.' Allowed me to have everything inside and appease the powers that be. The upside is that I could fit my spraying equipment into a small area in the house, and have a place to work. But too small. The doors didn't swing out, so I felt trapped inside of it when I'd paint. Probably one reason that I stopped enjoying painting as well. Now it will be a staging/drying area, storage, and spraybooth. http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/project008Medium.jpg

This will be my new workspace... considering building another table that looks nicer and has better storage.
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/project005Medium.jpg

Hey, here's all my eldar stuff, buried in the closet... with nids on top fo them... nice. http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/project012Medium.jpg

Oh, one last photo... this is a sabol case, that I think that's empty. Had a ton of figs in it as well. The legal box has 6 layers of GW foam, I think filled with a bunch of figs- that's where the deathwing is, a bunch of dark angels, orcs and gobbos, some chaos (fantasy.)

So, there you go... A glimpse into my sad "collecting dust" life of hobbydom!

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/f16b09ef.jpg

EmperorsChamp01
26-07-2006, 06:02
Are you and Deadly Related in any way?? I dont know how some one could accumulate that much stuff and its Un opend too. As soon as i Buy a Models its normally built with in the week. But im a modelholic so!

The Inquisitor
26-07-2006, 06:06
You know, one of the hardest things is deciding when I have so many things that I want to paint, and so many things started. Because of this, I've started far too many projects, and not finished any of them. Most of these are either character models, or squads from the army that I wanted to do.

Instead of committing to a entire force from the getgo, why don't I start by finishing a squad that I've started, and then go from there? I could do multiple squads and then use the momentum to finish out a larger force.

Here's some stuff that's started, off the top of my head- started and somewhere down the path of being completed:

- Ravenwing: 3 biker squads, 3 AB, 3 landspeeders and MoRW.

- Deathwing: 3 squads started (command + 2), dread.

- DA- a couple squads started - tac, dev.; scout squad. (I really only want to finish these b/c they haven't been finished for 5 years!)

- eldar- Nothing out painted yet, but a bunch of aspects that are cleaned, and ready to be primed. Seer council, some rangers, I think. Support weapons platforms.

- necrons- these I bought from a guy, who partially build and primed them- a warrior squad, immortals squad, nightbringer, some destroyers, wraiths

- IG- I have a bunch cleaned up and ready to go, but as for what I've been painting- 1 squad SL troopers + HB, 1 squad old style stormies. Salamander (from trade), almost built LR. commisar.

- DH- GK termies (I love these.), deathcult assassins. 1 GK with psycannon. Limited ed witchhunter/inquisitor.

- Nids: Have some cleaned up, but only working a few squads- 12+ hormaguants, 1 squad of warriors, ripper bases, lictor (old style, 3rd ed.)

- Tau- 1 unit of fire warriors, 1 unit of battlesuits, a devilfish/hammerhead, drones.

Oh, and a bunch of characters as well, mostly from the armies above...

and, I have a few units from WHFB as well that I've started- chaos, lizzies, high elves, VC, I think some skaven. Started a unit of bulls for OK. And a bunch of characters.

almost forgot- have a warmachine khador group I've started, and some Flames of war tanks as well.

Sigh.

So, the biggest prob I have is not starting, it's finishing. Hopefully this thread will help with that.

So, I have a couple votes for steel legion, a deathwing, an eldar, and a nid. Any others?

Thanks for the input/opinions/etc.!

devolutionary
26-07-2006, 06:22
Start off with a Marine tank force. You have enough there. I advise painting things for the sake of painting them. Ignore the rules and composition, just go nuts with those Land Raiders and build a suitably impressive display force of vehicles.

The Inquisitor
26-07-2006, 14:16
I do have plenty of tanks, that's for sure. Most of those kits are comprised of land raiders, rhinos, chimeras, Leman Russes, and I think a basilisk. meant to use the land Raiders for a deathwing army.

however, I just don't want to drop anything that I have started necessarily, and start a whole new project. That's been my problem in the past. As you can see, I do have a space wolves land raider that I obtained from buying a collection; I was just going to clean it up and sell it.

that being said, I do have one land raider partially built -- of the spruces-- and I think a rhino as well. Not sure.

The Inquisitor
26-07-2006, 14:31
for those of you just skimming, I made a suggestion about finishing one of the squads/projects and started, then using the momentum to build a larger force.

and, I have to say, that one reason some of these projects are sitting on my shelf is that I got "stuck" -- I get to a point where I didn't feel the project wasn't working out right.

I have to say that typing out the list of projects that I've started was sobering. I like the idea of a doing something I like, but would still like input and peoples opinions about colors and stuff like that.

I also realize I've started some projects because I wanted a taste of what the army was like, and some of those projects I really don't like that much. Like the eldar support weapons.

so, two votes for steel legion, one for death wing, one for eldar, one for nids. One against marines. One for tanks. Any others?

primarch16
26-07-2006, 15:14
I would go nids, fun to make and not too difficult to paint.

The Inquisitor
26-07-2006, 15:44
I would go nids, fun to make and not too difficult to paint.

that makes two for the steel legion and two for the nids... which is great -- both things I would like to do. I also like the eldar, so I might have to do something there.

okay, here's my colors, at least that I thought of

steel legion -- Field gray coats, dark gray helmets, brown gloves -- ends up being really dark, which I don't know if I like. I don't mind the lighter coats, but I guess this ends up being too much like the studio army. I envision my steel legion being primarily an urban force, but without the crazy urban camo schemes. I'd actually thought of using a lot more earthy/gray tones -- grays, browns, tans, so perhaps I'll still go with that.

tyranids -- I thought of doing camo green as a base, with some contrasting color for armor.

eldar -- this is a force that I haven't started, because I could never decide on a palette that I liked, that matched a craft world. At first I thought of using a very dark blue, with white and gray, with accents of yellow. Similar to a blend of the studio alaitoc, ulthwe and beiltan. however, over time, I've come to favor perhaps a lighter blue, darker gray, white, yellow scheme. to provide variety, different colors would become predominant in the others would be accidents. On aspects, the craft world colors would be maintained to some degree, where the aspect colors would be the accents.

oh, and I forgot death wing-- I've always liked big hulking power armor, but wanted to do something somewhat different than just bone armor. Sort of having a field dress -- using a green body armor, with bone accents. Too far off the beaten path to still be considered a deathwing army?

thoughts? I'm going to perhaps pull out some of these projects and take some photos.

-=B@toun3T=-
26-07-2006, 16:41
Three for Steel Legion.
:angel:

I don't know if that help or give to you an idea you but I made a color test before my final camo :

http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/682/dscf06618qr.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Batbat.

The Inquisitor
26-07-2006, 17:54
you know, this army was one that I always collected and said "you know, some year I'll get to that". the truth is, I probably like to do this more than other things. Or I used to live, everyone seemed to have a guard army, so was kind of warning to do that.

so, how about I finish up a couple of squads, or at leastba couple of figures, and go from there? Then, if someone wants to see something else, I could do that.

I'll take pictures of what I have based and under coated

do people want to see progressive shots, or just finished stuff?

Aquilla
27-07-2006, 10:16
Oh my god!
*faints

*gets back up again

ahem.

That is quite a collection.
I can't see if you have any Leman Russes, but if you have at least three, how about doing an armoured company to go with your steel legion?

The Inquisitor
27-07-2006, 14:38
yeah, this was my intention as well -- do a steel legion mechanized army, as well as an armored company. Still might be in the works -- but what I'll do is start out with the infantry. I still do need some more LR though. would love to do one.

oh, by the way, found another item that I had almost finished -- a sentinel. This one I had meant to build and sell -- I already have 6 others that I plan to field. still, I could do it in my colors.

so my question is this -- with my squad, do I want to go for dark colors or lighter colors in their jackets? As for armor, I've always liked world war II German camo schemes, especially desert yellow with gray. I thought of using a beige/gray camo scheme. I imagine them fighting in dusty urban settings, ash wastelands, etc.

hoping ro paint up up a few today hopefully, and post some pics.

The Inquisitor
29-07-2006, 04:46
ahhhhh... this is more like it... open workspace. I'm going to have some other lamps and stuff here... I don't like this light as much as some of the others I have...

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/7bc9d423.jpg

Just briefly- the theme of this army- his is only my idea, so sorry if it rubs any fluff the wrong way.

Anyway, to colors... this is the original paint scheme. Blocked in colors, no hightlights... VMC field grey coat.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/squad/paintschemes003Small.jpg

Only 4 images per post, so I'll continue below...

But as you can see, on the table, it is dark, not enough contrasts, etc.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/squad/paintschemes004Small.jpg

So, I thought I'd change it up a bit. I like lighter coats, so I thought I'd try this and I like it. the color is VMC greengrey.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/squad/paintschemes006Small.jpg

The Inquisitor
29-07-2006, 04:48
Here's a pic of the group together to contrast the two coat base colors...

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/squad/f58564c7.jpg

I couldn't find the HB team that I had already primed, so I had to replace it...

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/squad/paintschemes015Small.jpg

Oh, and here's a commissar that I had been working on a while ago...

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/squad/paintschemes016Small.jpg

I'm starting to really enjoy this... I'll get them done, and post my progress over the weekend.

jon23516
30-07-2006, 04:01
Inquisitor: Let me start with "wow". I too am married to a "loathing" wife.

I'm not sure I could quite match your stack of shrinkwrapped boxes, but close. I strip the sprues from the boxes and migrate them straight to zip-lock plastic bags as they're easier to conceal that way. <grin> However, to see it all in one place is still daunting...

It sounds like your common theme is starting and not finishing. If this is the case then obviously finishing one of your projects before starting another should be a high priority. Borrowing advice given to those who are trying to get out of debt... pay off the debt with the smallest balance. In other words, finish the project in progress which has the least to do to complete. I don't recall if you play or just collect and build, but I would suggest that you pick something, perhaps like your Steel Legion and get it assembled and painted to the point that you can field a Combat Patrol or even 1000 points. Revel in the success of completion and then move on. Starting your IG vehicles sounds like a next best project since it can't take too long to build a few tanks and get them painted up to match your Steel Legion. Now you're on your way to a mechanized IG list.

Between one post and another I got confused. You DO want to do Eldar? But you DON'T like the Support Weapons? Or because of the Support Weapons you don't like Eldar anymore?

Rather than getting or being bogged down by a seemingly insurmountable pile of models and army projects, eliminate anything that doesn't interest you any more. Boom, the pile is smaller.

Of course, at the moment I'm all talk and not a lot of action, as I've got Ultramarines 4th Company, pewter Deathwing, SW 13th Company, Tau and Imperial Guard purchased and in various states of sprue, assembled, primered and painted. We won't even mention the Fantasy side of Empire and Chaos Mortals. I just may have to start my own project log.

Edit: Oh, and I like the lighter colors for the Steel Legion. Unless you play in a place with plenty of light, you don't want all the detail to get lost in the gloom. Also, your Commissar looks great. Keep up the good work.

Good luck,
Jon

The Inquisitor
30-07-2006, 18:11
Jon- Thanks for the support. I suppose what is not seen are the army boxes, and containers that have LOTS of stuff that has been removed from shrinkwrap and placed in bags. Ugh. You're right though, my biggest problem is completing projects that I start. Your advice is great, I completely agree with it -- that is why I'm thinking of completing squads, before I actually think of completing an entire army. That way I can get a taste of different armies, without having to commit to a large project as of yet. I have a lot of imperial guard, and quite a few projects started, so this will give me a good chance to focus on something for little while.

Re: Eldar -- I actually love this army, but what I did is start a project that I didn't really want to complete -- some support weapon platforms. So, focusing on things I didn't want to do, I ended up hurting myself in the long run -- I put the army on a shelf.

Yup, I would agree with you -- only going to do things that interest me, or if absolutely necessary to play something that I want to play. I don't have time to do things that I don't want to anymore. And, like yourself (at least from the sounds of it) like a lot of things. Not only do I have a lot of 40 K. stuff, but I have a few fantasy armies that I would like to build. Chaos -- go mortals! -- lizard men, bretonians, high elves, Ogres, etc..

And, I've had to realize that I can do a showpiece for every single model -- I have to simplify and be satisfied with a good overall look.

No photos yet, but I have to say I am finally enjoying what I'm doing. Thanks for the input on the steel legion and the commissar. Hopefully, I'll have some things ready by tonight.

I'll do some in progress shots as well.

Himself
31-07-2006, 02:15
Wow I must say thats a nice collection you have their, I'm mighty jealous!

I however feel that by going forward with 'testing' and painting one or two squads from each army, you will lose focus... after all isn't the idea to get full armies done? If you test say 8 units and maybe a couple tanks, well that could of been an entire army in the case of your Deathwing.

As far as the Steel Legion go, they are very impressive and I agree with lighter being better. They seem to be a force you enjoy painting and have a lot of with tangents to go off with if you get boredom (the tanks).

I will read this project log with great interest, hope to see a lot of pics!

Thanks.

-Himself

(also my first post :D )

The Inquisitor
31-07-2006, 03:47
Yea, I've thought of this. I don't want to get too 'tangential'- which is why I have some 30+ projects started... But I would like to dabble in what I like the most. If I had to decide- IG, eldar, nids, deathwing... those are some of my favs. I do like the necrons, for sheer simplicity.

anyway, check this out:

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/squad/b0d0488c.jpg

this is a pic from the dawn of steel mod- similar to the colors that I have after I was them back from being so bright. Darker boots and helmets.

And, I usually hate rough riders, but tell me this doesn't look cool...

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/squad/9d42534d.jpg

I think I'd like some guys on bikes or something though..., seems much more in line with a mechanized force...

Update on painting: well, found out that I didn't have a sgt, so it will be a day or two before I have time to get him prepped and primed. Pics to come shortly.

jon23516
31-07-2006, 05:50
Yeah, actually I did spot the 6 or so mega-army boxes tucked in the floor of the closet shot. Even more wow. <grin>.

The comments by Himself also makes sense. Which army requires the least amount of miniatures... probably Deathwing.

Regardless, good luck and keep up the momentum. Keeping this thread updated is probably the best way to keep yourself motivated.

Jon

The Inquisitor
07-08-2006, 03:31
wow... how time flies; sry for the belated updates. Here's the squad, colors blocked in... realizing that most my time is spent trying to decide on color/composition. Tends to make me slow, 2nd guess projects, etc. Ugh. So, thought I'd post them, get any feedback, etc.

so far...

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/squad/projsl082006014Small.jpg

Note, the plasma gunner's just extra. However, his helmet will likely be the color of all the helmets. The others are just too grey.

had to base/undercoat/paint a couple of missing members, including a HB team:

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/squad/projsl082006016Small.jpg

Question: what is a good color for the weapons? I like this grey blue/green, but could also do reddish brown (o.k., but sorta too common...), green or black/grey. If you look at some of the pics below you'll see the different colors I've been playing with. Opinions?

Here's some closeups... keep in mind this is a very *rough* stage... just blocking in colors, etc. Kinda sloppy, colors not blended in yet, etc. No basing done yet.

Grenadier

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/squad/projsl082006018Small.jpg

rifleman
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/squad/projsl082006019Small.jpg

The Inquisitor
07-08-2006, 03:34
Sgt

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/squad/projsl082006020Small.jpg

Plamsa gunner... greyish bluegreen weapon...

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/squad/projsl082006021Small.jpg

rifleman with green weapon...

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/squad/projsl082006022Small.jpg

Another rifleman...

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/squad/projsl082006024Small.jpg

The Inquisitor
07-08-2006, 03:37
Thought I'd throw some of these up as well. Things that I've worked on, but get stuck somewhere in composition... colors, layout, etc.. Something I've got to work on b/c it keeps me from getting things done!

Mordheim Ogre...

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Other%20projects/771f9fc0.jpg

Slayer...

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Other%20projects/dfac7a94.jpg

Nid...

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Other%20projects/fb0e822c.jpg

Some deathwing... For being soooooo easy to paint, I never finished them up.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Other%20projects/24b7960b.jpg

Deadleyheadley
07-08-2006, 03:40
I though my collection was big but yours is off its head ,your guard are looking cool ,as does the rest of your stuff :) Keep up the cool work

PariahMagnus
07-08-2006, 04:34
O.k., as promised, here's a look at what is on my 'plate', my workspace, and such... top half of closet...

Oh, and thnx to deadly for assistance with photos. Worked great. Very easy, so I'll be able to post pics without probs.

lots of unopened boxes... scary to think this was completely packed not too long ago. I've been cleaning house.
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/project001Medium.jpg

You have great self conrtol :P

Looking foward to seeing some progress

The Inquisitor
08-08-2006, 02:57
Well, got sick of just working on the ONE squad and then waiting until things dry, so I thought I do the rest of the platoon. Also have a anti-tank squad/heavy weapons, and 10 more stormies (old ones...)

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/squad/2885c6d9.jpg

Here's some 20+ more stormtroopers, for my 'grenadier' force. I have a total of ~ 60 or so.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/squad/92559f17.jpg

Hopefully, these will be up and painted shortly. Finally worked out the composition that I like, so shouldn't (hopefully) be a problem. None of this has been cleaned completely yet.

The Inquisitor
08-08-2006, 05:51
You have great self conrtol :P

Looking foward to seeing some progress

hehehe... My wife would beg to differ...

Anyway, cleaned up the squad a bit, going to work on basing, then finish the squad. Going to then work on the stormtrooper squad. Will clean up the minis shown above, then get them primed and basecoated. That should give me a platoon (1 troop) and an elite.

I also have a bag of HW around somewhere, a partially completed leman russ, and a couple sentinels...

At least it's a start. Thanks everyone for your support. I'll try to include some project notes as I go along.

The Inquisitor
29-08-2006, 14:13
Well, havent' worked much on the project. I had to shift gears and get a contract job done (~ 64 figs + a warmachine). Hopefully I'll have another update by this weekend.

The Inquisitor
25-10-2006, 16:22
Update:

hopefully, I'll be able to post something new here soon- too much going on. But the plan is to finish up a few squads of IG, then transition to something else becuase I am lacking some necessary parts for the whole project. I'll probably do something like DW, Necrons, Tyranids.

Input always welcome!

Althanan
25-10-2006, 19:42
Just did a read-through of this thread, Inquisitor. Nice work, but oh LORDY is there a lot down the line...

Good luck :)

The Inquisitor
26-10-2006, 01:04
Yep, you are right! I started this thread to hopefully motivate myself and get some things done.

I realized over the last while that I don't have everything that I'd like to have in order to finish up my guard, so I'm going to start finishing some of my other projects. Here's what I have in the wings:

Deathwing
Ravenwing
Necrons
Tau

I need to get vehicle accessory sprues for my guard. I'll just take it a squad at a time.

A slight change of plans: I've realized that I will never get done using my old methods of painting, and am going to try some new methods to speed up the process. My hope to be as proliferate as deadly, and that people will find the whole process useful overall.

Thanks for looking and posting your replies!

Erestor
27-10-2006, 02:47
Wow,

All those tanks in the cupboard and your guard force doesn't have what it needs? No wonder your wife is on your back. Mine is the same and I don't have 20% what you have.

I have been resisting one of these blogs ever since they were invented. Maybe it's time I committed to one? Seems not to have worked for you yet Inquisitor, but others have had success.

Scorpio
27-10-2006, 03:10
I love these kinds of logs. Looks like you have a bit to do there.
You seem to paint at an amazing rate and with good detail so keep goin. Also from your little collection in your closet you could start a mech SM army or two.

-Scorpio

The Inquisitor
27-10-2006, 04:35
Wow,

All those tanks in the cupboard and your guard force doesn't have what it needs? No wonder your wife is on your back. Mine is the same and I don't have 20% what you have.

I have been resisting one of these blogs ever since they were invented. Maybe it's time I committed to one? Seems not to have worked for you yet Inquisitor, but others have had success.

Point well taken. I started this when I had some time to dedicate to these projects. Then work got reeeeeeeaaaallly busy. Had to choose which beast to listen to and work/family/rest of life won for the last little while. Things are normalizing, so I hope to get back on task.

I guess the key thing is little by little, doing things I like/want to do and stuff like that.

Re: the tanks. Well, I have all the tanks I could want, but what I don't have are the 10+ vehicle accessory sprues, since most of these are old versions without those sprues. So, while I wait for them to come, I'll finish some other projects. Pulled out some ol' Dark angels, and have been working on them. I might paint them up soon. We'll see.

Re: the logs- I think they work, but you gotta use them. I haven't been. Can't wait to, though. I'll post when I get the chance.

Oh, and I have been caught in the vortex known as "DOW: Dark Crusade". Doesn't help focusing on painting. :)

Althanan
27-10-2006, 06:03
Heh, I know the feeling. I wanted to get as much of my still-unpainted Eldar primed as possible last night... then Dark Crusade called. I'd only gotten a single coat of primer on five Wraithguard :(

Before you ask about multiple coates of primer, up till now, I've only used the brush-style primer, and I keep it pretty watered down to prevent "chunking", so I usually do two-plus coats, depending on how it looks after coat #2. I do however own two cans of spray primer now, and will be trying it out soon-ish, as soon as I finish off my last bit of brush primer. Also need to strip some ugly-ass models I did not long after I started painting... any tips there? (Been playing for four years, but only in the last year or so have I started to care about having a "pretty" army)

The Inquisitor
27-10-2006, 23:42
Heh, I know the feeling. I wanted to get as much of my still-unpainted Eldar primed as possible last night... then Dark Crusade called. I'd only gotten a single coat of primer on five Wraithguard :(

Before you ask about multiple coates of primer, up till now, I've only used the brush-style primer, and I keep it pretty watered down to prevent "chunking", so I usually do two-plus coats, depending on how it looks after coat #2. I do however own two cans of spray primer now, and will be trying it out soon-ish, as soon as I finish off my last bit of brush primer. Also need to strip some ugly-ass models I did not long after I started painting... any tips there? (Been playing for four years, but only in the last year or so have I started to care about having a "pretty" army)

I use multiple coats of primer, but I usually spray. I also do a lot of 2 coat black/white/light priming too. Brush primering can be o.k., but usually takes more time. Cans are basically self contained poor man's airbrushes. You can get really good fine primer coats from a spray can, but you'll better your odds if you use good technique.

For stripping: my fav = casterol superclean. engine degreaser- can use on plastics, resin, metal, etc. Strips stuff really well. You can get it at autosupply, walmart, etc. I've had pieces sit for days/weeks, and still be fine. cut 1:1 with water, use a toothbrush to scrub it after it soaks. Resoak stubborn stuff. Other options: simple green, windex, laquer thinner (metal only, will eat other things- use in well ventilated area, with gloves.) Wear gloves on all these btw.

If anyone ever wants to see something I talk about, LMK. I'll try to either find a pic of what I'm talking about or do a walkthrough of the technique, use of a specific tool, etc. There is surprisingly little of this on the web.

Erestor
28-10-2006, 12:08
Oh well then, it's easy for me, Dark Crusade not being releaesed here yet.

Best I not rush out and buy or nothing on my desk will get painted.

The Inquisitor
30-10-2006, 02:30
Well, here's a couple of things I've had on my desk for a long time. Some Dark angels. As you can see above, I have lots of tanks... enough for a DA/DW army, and another marine one if I wanted.

Well, here's the squad:

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/darkangels/IMG_9533.jpg

Close up:

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/darkangels/IMG_9536.jpg

This turns out to be MUCH brighter/lighter than in person.

The major problem I've had with doing DA/SM is that, unlike other people who think they are easy, I tend to find them difficult. Reason: lots of rounded surfaces that need specific types of shading that take a long time. Sure I can do point highlighting/edging, but I never find this completely 'satisfying.' I'm trying to come up with a better way to shade. As for colors, I don't like the standard 'DA green' scheme, so I opted for more military shades of green. I think this is VMC russian green + black.

Opinions on painting space marines?

BTW- the sgt's head isn't glued on yet... :)

asmodai_dark86
30-10-2006, 03:35
I did a cracking job on some ultramarines awhile back (could do em better now like but..) by spraying them ultramarines blue and then black inking them. All you have to do is paint the main color over, highlight where necessary, and they look pretty good.
Perhaps ogre flesh would work well seeing as your doing green marines?

The Inquisitor
30-10-2006, 04:56
This is exactly what I have settled on doing. I built up the base color, then shaded back the recesses. Takes less time that building up a color from dark to light, and looks better IMO.

You can't really tell on these. For some reason my camera keeps everything really bright. In person, they are much darker. I'll likely line in some black here soon, & try to get some better pics.

The colors on my palette:
- black
- 2:1 VMC russian green:black
- 4:1 VMC RG:blk
- VMC RG
- Highlights are VMC US dark green (greyish green) and green grey.

I'm going to finish these in a more traditional way, then try something new with the next batch I do.

Anyway, I use those full spectrum lights when I paint, and they don't photograph realy well. Here's another photo under incadecent lighting, with bolters.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/darkangels/IMG_9546.jpg

I'll work on the photos. Thanks for the feedback.

Althanan
30-10-2006, 05:22
I use multiple coats of primer, but I usually spray. I also do a lot of 2 coat black/white/light priming too. Brush primering can be o.k., but usually takes more time. Cans are basically self contained poor man's airbrushes. You can get really good fine primer coats from a spray can, but you'll better your odds if you use good technique.

For stripping: my fav = casterol superclean. engine degreaser- can use on plastics, resin, metal, etc. Strips stuff really well. You can get it at autosupply, walmart, etc. I've had pieces sit for days/weeks, and still be fine. cut 1:1 with water, use a toothbrush to scrub it after it soaks. Resoak stubborn stuff. Other options: simple green, windex, laquer thinner (metal only, will eat other things- use in well ventilated area, with gloves.) Wear gloves on all these btw.

If anyone ever wants to see something I talk about, LMK. I'll try to either find a pic of what I'm talking about or do a walkthrough of the technique, use of a specific tool, etc. There is surprisingly little of this on the web.

Thanks for the tips... I think I may actually have a half bottle or so of superclean sitting around, I know I used some when working on my car not too long ago... hmm... where did I stash it...

EDIT--

As for the photography... looks to me like you're using the camera's flash? If so... *slaps Inquisitor's wrist* STOP IT! It'll wash the bajesus outta the color and make everything look like old crusty ass. Take the best lamp you have and use that for your lighting, it'll look better.

Or if you're not using the camera's flash, adjust the angle of the lamp and how far it is, because your getting a similar effect. And possibly add in a touch of red or magenta to the picture in a photo editing program, see how that does it.

The Inquisitor
31-10-2006, 22:23
Thanks for the tips... I think I may actually have a half bottle or so of superclean sitting around, I know I used some when working on my car not too long ago... hmm... where did I stash it...

Yep, it's pretty good stuff. I also use a small 'pick' of some sort- a needle in a dowel, etc.- to get crap out of the crevases.

EDIT--

As for the photography... looks to me like you're using the camera's flash? If so... *slaps Inquisitor's wrist* STOP IT! It'll wash the bajesus outta the color and make everything look like old crusty ass. Take the best lamp you have and use that for your lighting, it'll look better.

Or if you're not using the camera's flash, adjust the angle of the lamp and how far it is, because your getting a similar effect. And possibly add in a touch of red or magenta to the picture in a photo editing program, see how that does it.

Nope, not using the flash, just trying to get appropriate lighting without breaking out the 'light cube'. I'm actually putting these under some of those 'full spectrum' lights that I use. Don't do a lot of 'after photo' modification- I guess I could do this if it helps to replicate what I am seeing in person.

I've often thought I've needed to set up some good lighting for photography, but just never have done it.

Thanks for the input.

danjones87
31-10-2006, 23:11
Hi there, i hardley ever come on warseer but im here.
I see you have quite a large collection of models to knock out.

My first suggestion would be to not buy anything else, period.

As someone else said before, paint one army, get it finished, feel that warm glow inside you, and then start the next one.

Set some time each day/week that you will paint somthing of your own.

Do you really want all that? will you battle enough to use it all? Have you thought about selling it on ebay or whatever? Would be cool to knock up a armylist or two, put everything the army requires in a box and then sell it with the list. Would be very simple with space marines for example.

I like the work you have done already, the guard look promising.

What ever path you choose, good luck.

DJ

Althanan
01-11-2006, 00:46
Nope, not using the flash, just trying to get appropriate lighting without breaking out the 'light cube'. I'm actually putting these under some of those 'full spectrum' lights that I use. Don't do a lot of 'after photo' modification- I guess I could do this if it helps to replicate what I am seeing in person.

I've often thought I've needed to set up some good lighting for photography, but just never have done it.

Thanks for the input.

Hmmm. Full spec lights photograph terribly for stuff like this... may want to try a basic incandesent, maybe two feet straight over the top. Some type of backround will help, too. Print off a sheet of gradient green or blue. Hell, do a solid black page if you're willing to blow that kind of ink.

As far as photo editing, Photoshop is good if you have it. There's ways to get it for free, but I won't go into that ;) Google has a new piece of software called Picasa that's pretty nifty, if rather basic. There's also a program called NeoPack that I use at work, but I'm unsure on how to get it beyond through business liscencing. If you can find it, tho, it's a great tool for rough editing like color adjustments, resizing, and recentering.

The Inquisitor
03-11-2006, 20:58
Hmmm. Full spec lights photograph terribly for stuff like this... may want to try a basic incandesent, maybe two feet straight over the top. Some type of backround will help, too. Print off a sheet of gradient green or blue. Hell, do a solid black page if you're willing to blow that kind of ink.

As far as photo editing, Photoshop is good if you have it. There's ways to get it for free, but I won't go into that ;) Google has a new piece of software called Picasa that's pretty nifty, if rather basic. There's also a program called NeoPack that I use at work, but I'm unsure on how to get it beyond through business liscencing. If you can find it, tho, it's a great tool for rough editing like color adjustments, resizing, and recentering.

Thanks for the tips- I used to have a background that I printed off, but I don't know where it's at, so I guess I'll have to make another. I'm going to try to get some lighting this weekend- I have light tent and everything- I just haven't done this for a while. After looking at options out there (ebay, etc.), I figure that I can pretty much get everything locally and at a fraction of the cost.

I'll post some updates when I get the chance. Thanks for the input.

The Inquisitor
07-11-2006, 02:16
O.k., here's a couple pics using my 'light box', like how this turns out a bit more....

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/darkangels/IMG_9609Medium.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/darkangels/IMG_9610Medium.jpg

So, still need more depth to many of these. The 'bone' eagle is perhaps the most 'done' of them. However, the question I have is this: do people like the bone eagle or a gold one? I am kinda partial to the gold, perhaps b/c its easier, not the same as everyone elses, etc. The Sgt's is the kind of 'old gold' I'm shooting for:

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/darkangels/IMG_9611Medium.jpg

and no, he hasn't been wounded with a blow greater than 2x his toughness. :)

Opinions?

I'll work on these tonight. Post some progress. All input welcome.

Scorpio
07-11-2006, 02:22
Lookin good but go for the gold(he he he that works for the color and the quality) They look really cool and i think the "old gold" looks even better!

-Scorpio

The Inquisitor
07-11-2006, 03:18
Lookin good but go for the gold(he he he that works for the color and the quality) They look really cool and i think the "old gold" looks even better!

-Scorpio

Gold it is! At least I can do one squad with these colors and see how it goes. Thnx

Althanan
07-11-2006, 03:40
Aye, I prefer the gold as well. Looks better on that green armour.

Photography is looking quite a bit better... what changed exactly?

The Inquisitor
07-11-2006, 05:59
Aye, I prefer the gold as well. Looks better on that green armour.

Photography is looking quite a bit better... what changed exactly?

I pulled out my 'softbox' I forgot that I had (packed it away, trying to make due without it...), bought some daylight bulbs for good lighting and used the sweeps that came with my box.

Anywho, I'd love suggestions on using this set up. Photography and photo manipulation is something I am quite unfamiliar with.

Thanks!

Althanan
07-11-2006, 18:23
Looks like the setup is working well, so I'd continue on with that. Manipulation-wise, the only thing I'd suggest is cropping them a bit as there's a lot of wasted space in several of your pictures. I wouldn't play with the colors at all at this point, as there's nothing screaming at me in any of those pictures.

The Inquisitor
08-11-2006, 00:27
Thanks for the tips and input; I was just too lazy to do the cropping needed. I'll try to pose some othe pictures here soon.

The Inquisitor
08-11-2006, 05:40
O.k., not hardly an update, but I worked on them a bit. Started filling in details, made all the gold chestplates about the same, gave another highlight, which is a bit harsh right now. STarted putting in some deeper shades. Here they are-
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/darkangels/IMG_9612Medium.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/darkangels/IMG_9613Medium.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/darkangels/IMG_9614Medium.jpg

I'll likely tone back the highlighting to more of the original color (it's faded right now), do point highlighting, deeper shading/lining with blacks/browns, finish the weapons, base them, etc.

Scorpio
08-11-2006, 22:11
Looking cool. Love the gold as said.

-Scorpio

geekee1
09-11-2006, 03:14
I must say that I really like your DA's. Is your final highlight drybrushed? If it is it looks very good. I don't typically drybrush much anymore as I don't like the way it tends to look dusty. But the way it looks on your DA's makes them look very gritty.

I'm currently starting an Angels of Redemption army and I'm hoping to start a project log as soon as I have enough posts. Reading your log really makes me want to get something finished as I have a room full of unfinished models as well.

Keep up the good work.

edit - it seems that I can post now, so I guess I have some work to do.

FearFrost
09-11-2006, 03:28
They look really solid...Id love to see some more red trim. Those red tactical icons (arrows) on the shoulderpads would look GREAT.

The Inquisitor
09-11-2006, 20:26
Thanks everyone for the feedback/input! Keeps me motivated, for sure.

@ fearfrost: I'm glad re: the feedback on having more 'red' on these minis. I've been milling over this for days, which is one reason I haven't done more than I have. My thoughts: I like the use of red, nice contrasting color, but I really dislike the 'christmas-esque' look of many dark angels (I can see asmodai speaking to the fallen: you've been a very, very bad marine this past millenium...). but, I do like a darker solid red. I was going to paint the bolters and tac arrows on these guys, but don't know about other things. I also like using 'bone' intermittently, perhaps on a kneepad or something. I was going to keep these guys simple. I'm also trying to decide whether or not to paint/spray the chapter symbol or use decaling. Thoughts/opinions/etc?

@ geekee1: Yea, this actually does have some very light drybrushing. You know, DB'ing gets really downplayed, but I think it's b/c the technique can lead to some bad effects if the paint is too heavy. A real trick with DB'ing is to make sure your highlight isn't too drastic of a change of hue, tone, etc. from your original colors, and that is it very thin. I wanted to catch the edges of the armor, as well as surfaces that should reflect more light.

What you are seeing here is a DB highlight that hasn't been 'toned back' using a 'filter'- using a technique that uses a translucent color to 'tone' the colors you are seeing- a very thin wash/watercolors/etc. are examples. Overspraying colors through an airbrush does the same thing. I'll likely go through an add 'edging' and point highlights. Not sure how I want to do it- worn edges, or chipped paint or what.

One question I have for those reading: do you like this more 'rough hewn' look,? Does it need to been toned back/washed/oversprayed, etc.? This is why it takes me too long to paint something! :) I just need to finish these marines, and then move on....

thanks for the input!

The Inquisitor
15-11-2006, 14:27
update: slow progress- working out decaling vs. painting markings on these guys. I've been trying out a mask so I can paint some tactical arrows on these guys. Fun experience, but I may end up just decaling anyway. I'm deciding how much 'red' (darker red too) to have on these guys. Their weapons are red, as well as their shoulder insignias & eyes. Not too keen on more than that. A couple days of my busy work schedule left, and then I should have time to do some more work.

I've also realized that many of these projects, like this one, are years old & I use different techniques now than I did back then. This leads to more work as I either try to recreate my process or fix the problems that the model has or just have a 1/2 done project that I have a better way of completing (learned a lot over the years and have new tools...). I think in the future I'll go back to the drawing board on these things and start over if needed instead of just trying to make it work.

The Inquisitor
24-11-2006, 22:08
Took a while to work onthis project, mostly trying to figure out if I was going to paint insignia or use decals. Finally decided on a mix- placed the decals a few days ago, still need to seal them (this is why it's so shiney on the pads now... they have an acryllic gloss on them.). I still need to finish all the piping, purity seals etc.- easy stuff- then finish up the bases, then they're done.

They are in teh final stretches now; still need to figure out hte exact shade of red that I want for the weapons and tac symbols. I like darker reds, but for the purpose of asethetics, prob will do a brighter red. Proly also weather the DA insigs too; they're just too bright right now. Oh, and I swapped out a couple figs inbetween the pics.

When I get some matte on the shoulder pads, they'll be less reflective.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/darkangels/projs112006005Medium.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/darkangels/projs112006009Medium.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/darkangels/projs112006002Medium.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/darkangels/projs112006004Medium.jpg

Voronwe[MQ]
24-11-2006, 22:37
A bit too brightish matt, but they look good.

The Inquisitor
25-11-2006, 00:10
;1098210']A bit too brightish matt, but they look good.

Yea, I haven't matte'd them yet; the shoulder pads are still really reflective. I'll seal them up, and they'll look better.

Thanks for the input.

Deadleyheadley
25-11-2006, 00:38
There look good mate ,In the flesh are they a lot darker? or is the photo, Im finding it hard to a take good pictures ,Even with lights and a photo cube :(.
Keep up the good work :)

The Inquisitor
25-11-2006, 01:28
There look good mate ,In the flesh are they a lot darker? or is the photo, Im finding it hard to a take good pictures ,Even with lights and a photo cube :(.
Keep up the good work :)

Yea, it's kind of a pisser, as they green is about perfect in person. They are a LOT darker in person, but still have enough color to jump out at you. I'm trying to figure out a way to get them to look more accurate color-wise. I have a feeling it's my camera. Perhaps I'll do some work in photoshop to get them to look a bit more true to life.

And, BTW deadly, your stuff looks great. But, I suppose from your comments, you've had the same situation with color appearing different in pictures than in person?

Thanks for the comments!

Voronwe[MQ]
25-11-2006, 22:14
Okay, then I shall not criticize them. Colours always appear different through a camera lense, of course. Just look on one of your family's videos.

The Inquisitor
26-11-2006, 04:33
;1099901']Okay, then I shall not criticize them. Colours always appear different through a camera lense, of course. Just look on one of your family's videos.

criticise away- I appreciate the input regardless; motivated me to take a look at my settings on my camera, so it's helped. I have to get less 'self conscious' about my work anyway.

Appears as though my camera tends to 'expose' the subject more than my eyes do. I turned it down, and had a different outcome: here you go-

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/darkangels/projs112006013copy.jpg

Now THAT's more like what I am seeing when I look at them; same lighting, but different 'exposure' setting on the camera.

Well? Better? I still need to do some washes, weathering and stuff, as well as finish the bases, the bolters, purity symbols, etc. I'm kinda glad I figured out the problem with this. Thanks again for the input!

Althanan
26-11-2006, 14:19
That looks so much better it's not even funny! Good work!

Oh, and the models look great, too ;)

The Inquisitor
26-11-2006, 14:47
That looks so much better it's not even funny! Good work!

Oh, and the models look great, too ;)

A big THANK YOU for your input; I proly would have limped along with bad photography without it!

Next steps: seal the decals and paint if needed, final weathering, finish the details, bases, then final seal.

possible next projects:
- steel legion: finished cleaning up the steel legion so I can do a platoon, some heavies, etc.
- necrons: I'd like to do some speed painting on these.
- deathwing: they are sitting here, begging to be painted.
- Tyranids- I think I finally have the paint job I want to do.
- Tau- I have a TON of minis cleaned up, waiting to be assembled and painted.

Voronwe[MQ]
26-11-2006, 15:01
That looks far better. You're right, though you forgett to mention the overall effect is excellent. Now glue some sand to the bases.

The Inquisitor
26-11-2006, 16:58
;1101300']That looks far better. You're right, though you forgett to mention the overall effect is excellent. Now glue some sand to the bases.

Thanks! Your last comment is great too; I need to just 'finish them', b/c if I don't I'll just keep doing little things to them. Again, another reason that I haven't finished a ton of stuff.

Again, thanks for the input.

Althanan
27-11-2006, 06:12
A big THANK YOU for your input; I proly would have limped along with bad photography without it!

Awww, now you're making me all blurry-eyed :P

I KNEW my job as a photographer would come in handy somehow :P

The Inquisitor
09-01-2007, 04:28
Well, here they are, finished, flocked, etc.

Light background

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/darkangels/projs112006028copyMedium.jpg

Darker background

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/darkangels/projs112006034copyMedium.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/darkangels/projs112006030copyMedium.jpg

Here's a closeup- I could do more of these if people want them...

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/darkangels/projs112006024copyMedium.jpg

hmmmm, that's a bit too dark.

My thoughts:
Overall, I'm pleased with how they turned out. It's taken me a very long time to figure out what colors I wanted to paint these and how to get the effects that I wanted. There is still more I could do, but I thought I'd call it done for right now. The purity seals need some writing on them, but I can do that later. I need to seal these up too. After that, I'll gloss the eyes, etc. I didn't want to put grass or anything on the bases, preferring a scorched/dead earth look, but I could add something to them- flock or whatever. I just wanted them done.

Any feedback welcome, thanks!

Next: I haven't decided yet-
- More troops for SM: Some SM scouts that I've been meaning to fix up. Some DW termies and perhaps a dread.
- I have an entire RW army that needs to be finished.
- Some friends want to do a bit of campaign gaming, so I thought I could finish necrons.

Don't really know, and I'll probably just do whatever I feel like next!
=I=

Althanan
09-01-2007, 05:24
Hey hey, long time no see ;)

Looking good to me bud, nice work!

Photography is about a crap-ton better than it was. I really like that darker background... felt pad/sheet?

Please ignore the shoddy state of my own model photography, not having a decent set-up (or the money to get one), or much experience photographing anything smaller than a week-old baby...

The Inquisitor
09-01-2007, 13:15
Hey hey, long time no see ;)

Looking good to me bud, nice work!

Photography is about a crap-ton better than it was. I really like that darker background... felt pad/sheet?

Please ignore the shoddy state of my own model photography, not having a decent set-up (or the money to get one), or much experience photographing anything smaller than a week-old baby...

:) I had to take some time to work on everything else in life besides this stuff. The holiday's didn't help much either.

Thanks for the input; it was really helpful. Yea, the pad is a big felt-ish backdrop that I used to photo ebay stuff a while ago. It seems to really make the models look more like they do in real life.

Deadleyheadley
09-01-2007, 13:17
Wow there sweet mate ,I hope my DAs come out as good as yours :)

The Inquisitor
09-01-2007, 15:16
Wow there sweet mate ,I hope my DAs come out as good as yours :)

Many thanks! Hopefully at some point I can be as proliferate as yourself! :)

schoolcormorant
09-01-2007, 15:20
they are excellent, i love the fact that the guns aren't so bright red as the GW studio ones.
excellent work :)

SC

Althanan
09-01-2007, 16:58
:) I had to take some time to work on everything else in life besides this stuff. The holiday's didn't help much either.

I can understand that. Going though the same thing meself...

The Inquisitor
11-01-2007, 14:51
Ugh. So, worked a bit on some scouts last night, but having probs with the pants turning out like I want them to. I've though what I might do is a play by play on some of the upcoming projects. This will keep me more engaged, & I won't have so long between updates. More interesting for me and whoever is reading. Any requests, pls LMK.

The Inquisitor
11-01-2007, 21:41
So, according to plan, I thought I'd post a couple piccies of progress.

Scouts: So, I've had it with trying to get the pants to look decent, like I want them to... a kind of bone/white color, like the workshop ones.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/darkangels/projs112006035copyMedium.jpg

Tried a little post-photoshop adjusting, but didn't turn out like I'd like it to.

I've hated their pants. Bad pants. I'm looking for something similar to the GW look- lighter pants, khaki or bone white. BUT, I have to say that I HATE painting over dark to get something light. Takes much longer than starting light and then darkening it up.

So, plan was to paint them bone/white, then shade them from there. Good plan, but was taking me forever to do it with a brush (if thinner paint is used...). So....

I broke out one of my fav airbrushes

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/darkangels/projs112006044copyMedium.jpg

Thinned up my paint + very low pressure and blocked in the areas that needed to be white.

A note: while some areas were difficult to avoid overspraying, I was sloppy in many areas... just in a hurry.

Here's then what it looks like after done.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/darkangels/projs112006038copyMedium.jpg

And here's the Sgt, if interested...

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/darkangels/projs112006037copyMedium.jpg

So, next is to then wash back with a thinned Khaki, block the dark colors back in (which is why this is VERY easy to do... the dark colors cover the white very readily), and continue painting as normal.

You may notice that some of the faces are white... well, going to be painting them lighter, with thinner colors, so I underspray them to pick out the highlights.

One last comment: you could do everything I've done here with a brush, I just didn't want to take the time, because I don't have the time.

Ciao!

The Inquisitor
11-01-2007, 21:42
Here's my pile of ravenwing that I need to put back together & finish...

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/darkangels/projs112006041Medium.jpg

:)

For some reason, my camera lightens everything up a ton. These have been oversprayed with some black+shadow grey at one point, which I'll likely change. The black is a couple years old, and will likely need to be redone- darkened/cleaned up.

This would be a pretty easy project to finish.

Hey, BTW- anyone know if it is possible to change the name of a thread once its been started? thnx-

FearFrost
11-01-2007, 23:49
Your tac squad came out nice!

The Inquisitor
12-01-2007, 01:02
Your tac squad came out nice!

It really took me a long time to figure out what I wanted to do, that was the downside. I tried lots of different approaches, esp. the GW one, which I never really liked all the way. Hopefully I can replicate this and do it much quicker with another squad. When I do, I'll do a step by step- that will keep me going.

Thanks for the input!

The Inquisitor
12-01-2007, 07:28
O.k., true to my word, I'm going to start posting progress, even if it seems insignificant, or if I think that someone out there might find something interesting. I didn't have a lot of time, but thought I would post something quickly. Sry for the bad pics. I didn't want to set up the booth again.

So, my experiment was to start from a light base and work down- going from light to dark. Works well for acryllics/watercolor/etc... media that are translucent. The strategy: progressive washes (with lots o' ingredients to make them flow and stay really nicely where I want...), from light to dark. I like it so far.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/darkangels/projs012007001copyMedium.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/darkangels/projs012007002copyMedium.jpg

He also has some deeper shading added. The face has a sepia wash (game color ink over white) for the initial deep shading. After I'm done, then I'll clean it up, highlight, etc. I'll also 'darkline/blackline' the deep recesses, it will look better in the crevases and give good contrast. There's also a lot of specs flying around- part of airbrushing... paint wouldn't thin right, so had to change paints. They won't be there either.

Here's a couple more piccies:

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/darkangels/projs012007004copyMedium.jpg

Another scout- just to give you the idea...

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/darkangels/projs012007006copyMedium.jpg

Initial washing of sgt- will need another coat I think.

The Inquisitor
13-01-2007, 05:46
Cleaned up the colors on the scouts; deepened the shading on lighter parts & blocking in all the colors. They are turning out nicely. I should have them done soon & I'll post pics.

Next: ?ravenwing project- finish? Necron warriors? Perhaps some fantasy stuff (I have a chaos warband I've been trying to finish forever...).

Also: I might start another thread, linking back to this one for reference. I just wanted a shorter name... like "Inquisitor's project blog" or something.

Thanks for any comments.

The Inquisitor
30-01-2007, 04:11
really slow progress right now -- too many other responsibilities.

scouts -- cleaned up most of the colors -- flesh, guns, armor, bags, etc.; added metals

Necrons-- started working on these when a friend of mine told me about his groups plans to play 40K, and no one plays this force. I have a bunch of these that I traded someone for. He built a bunch of the models but did not do much painting apart from basing them in boltgun metal.

Here's what I have- From the Army box- warriors x20, Bunch of scarabs, limited-edition Lord, immortals x5, destroyers x3, tomb spyders x2. I also have a couple c'tan, a monolith, more immortals, wraiths, pariahs, and another 20 warriors, 3 destroyers, a heavy destroyer, destroyer lord, flayed ones that are still pretty much unbuilt.

I worked on one unit of warriors (~20), and have them almost completed. I'll post pictures when I get the chance. My real sticking point is if I want to paint the gauss weapons or not. I might just keep them plain right now; I can go back later and finish them if I want.

plans -- VERY SLOWLY over the next few months- professional responsibilties beckon...
-- finish the scouts.
-- finish necron warriors, scarabs
-- Possibly work on deathwing sqaud- should be easy to finish.
-- Maybe tackle that pile of ravenwing that's sitting in my cabinet.
-- I also have another little commission job to finish.
-- rename this blog!

The Inquisitor
16-02-2007, 00:37
O.k.- update-
- I've done really nothing for a couple weeks. Not that I don't want to. It's killing me to do nothing. I have some major exams and other job related activities that need attending to for the next month.
- I've all but made the decision to move to another thread, named "inquisitor's project blog." I like that better, it's easier for me to find. If a mod wants to lock this thread, that'd be o.k.. I'll either repost or link to this thread. I'll post some pics of what I'd been working on there.

The future:
- continue my project log, and working on previos projects there. Something to keep me motivated.
- I'd like to do some tutorials on using an airbrush or other modeling tools.

The Inquisitor
07-03-2007, 17:26
Another quick update:

- 2 weeks left! I am sooooo sick of studying!
- Thanks avian for renaming my blog
- I thought I'd posting links to some cool sites. This is a cool flashairbrushing tutorial on Michael Fichtenmayer's site- fichtenfoo: http://www.fichtenfoo.com/02GiantRobots/02c-abflash.html
- When I get back in the swing of things, I have another contract to finish; some cool models from the DA line- that should be fun. I'll post pictures.
- Since I'm not posting a ton, I'll try to dig up some 'blast from the past' materials along with my commentary. Perhaps people can help me work out my own inner demons so sometime I can win a golden demon? (que drums...). I got a million of 'em. :)

Strelok
07-03-2007, 17:35
I don't know if this has been mentioned, but you could do a DW army, in the style of the black-armoured deathwing before they were repainted. You could style it around the squad that found the genestealer invasion, and use the nids on your bases, and have dioramas throughout the army for your commanders' bases and such.... just an idea, and I'm sorry if somewhere in this log it was already decided...

The Inquisitor
07-03-2007, 17:55
I don't know if this has been mentioned, but you could do a DW army, in the style of the black-armoured deathwing before they were repainted. You could style it around the squad that found the genestealer invasion, and use the nids on your bases, and have dioramas throughout the army for your commanders' bases and such.... just an idea, and I'm sorry if somewhere in this log it was already decided...

I've kinda thought of doing this, or doing a successor chapter that uses Dark Green armor, with bone accents- like shoulder pads, heads, etc. I think it would look really nice, so I might have to try it. I do like the bone armor though. I have a dread with ACs on it, that's partially done, and is all bone. Lots of washes and such, made it look rather nice. And, would tie in with my other troops. I could always argue that this is more akin to field dress or something.

Here's one of the termies that's just sitting on my shelf:

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Other%20projects/24b7960b.jpg

i may have posted this before.

I think I'm going to go back and do my bases like I used to. Sometimes, my bases would take me a long as painting the mini, but I liked how they turned out. I'll post some pics later.

But I realize now one of my probs is that many of these projects are a couple years old, some of them much more. I can definitely paint better/faster than then, have developed new techniques and use different tools that before. Some of these things I just need to start over, strip and go from there. I'm spending too much time fixing stuff that I just missed back then.

I'll post some past projects soon, so I can get some feedback on the bases.

Thanks for the comments.

The Inquisitor
17-03-2007, 04:37
I'm done! I'll be posting some pics here soon!

The Inquisitor
04-04-2007, 14:37
o.k., been working on a commission for a friend who asked me to match up some DA for him; just realized the termie above was also posted before- I'll post some other pics- perhaps of my partially finished dread....

I just set up my photo station; I'm planning on continuing to post some pics and tutorials on a couple things (airbrushing, as this is a topic I tend to respond to.) Going to try to finish up some of my own stuff in the next month or two. I was going to go to GD atlanta this year, but won't make it until later.

On the chopping block:
- DA, Deathwing, ravenwing
- necrons
- IG (I haven't forgotten... I just need some bits...)

Now that I'm likely going to be moving soon, and across the country at that, I'll likely end up getting rid of a bunch of this stuff. I'm so... attached... to this crap. I'm thinking I'm going to get rid of my nids, and a bunch of fantasy stuff.

Well, that's all for now. Expect some updates later.

Strelok
04-04-2007, 14:43
I need to start airbrushing, I'd love to see some airbrushing tutorials.

The Inquisitor
04-04-2007, 16:34
I need to start airbrushing, I'd love to see some airbrushing tutorials.

n/p- I'll make this one of my first projects. I have some really cool ideas with necrons and using an airbrush. Keep watching, and if you don't see anything, keep bugging me! :)

Strelok
04-04-2007, 18:23
Got it, I'll keep watch :D

The Inquisitor
06-04-2007, 00:55
I think what I'm going to do is start another thread about airbrushing, which might be more helpful to more people, versus embedding it in my own blog. think I'll call it "airbrushing 101" or something like that. Not that I'm a professional, or anything else, and lots of other people might do it differently or better than me. But hopefully they can be useful to someone, so they don't have to go through what I have.

As for what I've been working on, here's pics of some things. Comments/questions always welcome, thanks!

these are some commission guys --

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Currentprojects/projs040507001Medium.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Currentprojects/projs040507002Medium.jpg

I did this one a few years back, as sort of a step up from wargaming level. This was not meant to be games day figure, so very simplistic build up. It was interesting to paint him. Nothing fancy on the base, as he was meant to blend into other figures on the table. The client wanted to put a Crux terminatus on the bolter. I'm going to touch him up a bit too, make them look nicer. As you can tell, I've are repainted over a couple of "details" that I didn't like, and going to redo them.

The Inquisitor
06-04-2007, 01:02
this picture didn't turn out too well -- too dark. I'm just setting up my shooting area for photos again; I'll get a better picture.

I was trying to figure out a system where I could prepare miniatures off their bases, so I could work on the basis separately and hopefully speed up my painting. I'm pleased with what I'm trying to do. This is a holder for miniatures that I'm using half round for holders. There is a tutorial on cool mini or not. I can post a link if anyone wants it. I then drilled out some 1 inch thick pink board and glued it to a thin piece of wood.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Currentprojects/equipment/projs040507003Medium.jpg

the other one that I have is if I choose to mount something on a base first, and then do the basing afterwards. I'm using some doweling, you can see this above.

I also found these things that Michael's -- I been looking for something like this for quite a while -- they have a hardwood bottom, and are pretty solid so I can put various projects in them and put them inside of my curio.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Currentprojects/equipment/projs040507013Medium.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Currentprojects/equipment/projs040507014Medium.jpg

more to come

The Inquisitor
06-04-2007, 01:11
okay, a few more...

I'm working on some of the Dark Angels characters for the same guy. I really like a lot of these characters, and have been looking forward to starting this for some time -- I've actually had these for a couple of months.

my goal when I first started was to get paint on everything that needed to have paint. I didn't want big sections of black unless they were meant to be black. So what you're seeing here are primarily is a base coat. I usually start with something a little darker than what I intend to make the "core color" of the item -- the base color. If it's something that doesn't coat well, I tend to make my own "foundation coat". Funny, I done this for a while, and now workshop comes up with a whole series of paints to do exactly the same thing.

Here's what I've done so far -- sorry if the pics aren't really good, they're kind of "low light". You may not be able to see the subtlety of color change in the robes as of yet. I've been going very light, and steadily building up the shades. I have been using an airbrush to "tone" the colors back to an original color. I've also done the same with a brush, using thinned down paints to do the same effect.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Currentprojects/projs040507004Medium.jpg

here is his back

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Currentprojects/projs040507005Medium.jpg

here is the librarian-- after I painted him, I realized there was a divet in his right leg that will require some putty.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Currentprojects/projs040507006Medium.jpg

boy, it's really hard to see any shading that I've done on these. It's there, but I haven't built it up to the highest highlight and deepest shades as of yet.

One more

The Inquisitor
06-04-2007, 01:15
okay, here's a few more...

another Limited-edition fig...

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Currentprojects/projs040507007Medium.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Currentprojects/projs040507008Medium.jpg

Oh, and the helmet bearer...

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Currentprojects/projs040507009Medium.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Currentprojects/projs040507011Medium.jpg

the main point on all of these figures is the robe buildup. other stuff hasn't been done yet, but should come together quite nicely. the robes are quite subtle in their shading, so I'll have to get more light so you can see what I'm talking about.

oh, I remember one more thing.

The Inquisitor
06-04-2007, 01:17
here are some scarabs I have been playing around with.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Currentprojects/Necrons/projs040507010Mediumcopy.jpg

I have a great idea for how to get this two-tone coloration using airbrushing, so I'll post that later. These are in a very fundamental stage

enjoy!

The Inquisitor
09-04-2007, 01:44
update: worked a bit more this weekend on the above pieces, including the scarabs. Pics posted later. Worked a bit on an airbrushing thread to be posted soon.

Strelok
09-04-2007, 06:14
Yippee. Also, mind divulging any information you know on choosing which airbrush to buy?

Ziljin
09-04-2007, 15:29
I envy you. You must have hundreds of thousands of miniatures.

jasevx
09-04-2007, 15:37
Brilliant work, love the realism in your painting

samuel
09-04-2007, 16:44
huy you da are looking good how did you do there robes??
samuel

The Inquisitor
09-04-2007, 20:06
Thanks everyone for your positive comments and interest. I hope this time I can keep up the momentum.

I envy you. You must have hundreds of thousands of miniatures.

hehehe... I have too much really. When you get a lot, then you start feeling bloated, wondering what to work on next. You can easily start too many projects (as you can see...), and never get anything really done. I've noticed this with myself, as well as other people I've known who are older and been collecting a while.

Yippee. Also, mind divulging any information you know on choosing which airbrush to buy?

I was planning on doing this in the airbrushing thread I'll start. Keep watching the link in my sig... I should have a link there shortly.

The short and skinny: It's not an easy question to answer. You want to be satisfied with your tools, so they do what you want them to, but you also need to consider you hobby budget. I'm a tool afficionado/addict, and I have more than most people need (part of trying to discover what I would really need...).

A place to start is to ask what role the AB will fulfill in your toolbox. do you want it for basing? Do you want it for effects painting- like grime, pre-post shading, etc.? Do you want it to do really specialized painting- camo schemes, detailing, masking and painting, etc.

The next question: How often do you plan on using it? I made a point of trying everything, including painting miniatures with an AB which works suprisingly well, depending on how you use it.) If you just plan on basing, then you don't need anything sophisiticated. If you really want to paint with it, you'll need the right tools, or you'll be disappointed.

I'll try to get part one of this posted tonight.

Brilliant work, love the realism in your painting

Thank you very much for the positive comments.

huy you da are looking good how did you do there robes??
samuel

Yea, that would be a good tutorial. Most people wouldn't want to do what I do, but you can 'shortcut' it and still get good results.

Basically, I'm stating at a lighter color, and using 'washes' or tints to gradualy build up the recesses. You could call this a 'light to dark' technique, vs. what GW/foundary/others use, going from dark to light (i.e. start black and work up...).

One problem that you can have is getting good darks when you start light and vice versa. the AB really helps with this, but I'll talk about that later.

I've done more over the weekend, and I'm pleased with how they are turning out. These pictures don't do this justice- I'll have to post some better ones with better lighting.

I use some art media to get some really nice translucent tints. I have basically 5-6 colors I'm working with and a certain process I call paint and tint (I used to call it paint and backwash... :) ). Here's how you'd do it.

5 basic colors on my pallete (I use a wet pallete...)
- bone, khaki (actually the VMC... think graveyard + a touch of snakebite), snakebite, white, black

mixed:
- bone+khaki, bone + black, Snakebite + black (one of my fav colors of all time...)

But its not just hue, but also tone. One way of thinking of the two integrated:
Point light -Very light- light- base-shade- deep shade-dark recesses

Kinda like 'cell shading' used in animation.

Lighter colors are closer to the left, and darker are closer to the right. The more extreme you are, the less realistic you'll be approaching the other side. Except for metals. they have full contrast, which is what makes them look like metals.

I'd like to say I invented this, but most figure modellers have traditionally used something similar. summarized something like this:
- base, then wash
- shade/HL, then tone/tint
- deep shade/rehighlight, then highlight, then tone (usually just the HL).
- point light, clean up shades, redefine deep recesses/lining. +/- tone/tint.

With the robe:
Ok.- I started typing this up, and realized how complicated it can be. I'll try something more detailed later. If I can paint up something and take pics, I'll do it (or if there's any demand for it. Not that what I'm doing is extra special, but seeing it could be educational for some.). Takes a long time, but you can get some great looking minis.

The key to making things look 'more' realistic or natural is not having too great a difference between hue/tone, unless it is natural to do so.

If you want, you can also use an intermediate blending color, esp. on smooth surfaces, between shades/HL, etc.. With oils you can actually blend the colors together. With acrylics, you either use retarders to do this, or you can create an intermediate color to then paint over the 'line' where the two colors meet. If its thin, you'll create the illusion that they blend. I should probably show this on something like a vid or something (youtube anyone?)

Its like painting on a 3d canvas. With a little practice, very easy to do. I'm probably making it harder than needed, but I like more realistic looking minis. One reason it takes me so long.

Now, if you are using an AB, you can use it to 'tone' for you, as it will put down some really translucent colors. So, what you do is work on robes first, which may be a messy process ( you can see some of my overspray...) I can keep a 'loaded' brush on my desktop, and just overspray/tone my colors as I work (I'm spraying @ ~ 10psi...). I've found that I can do the same thing with brushes though.

Does that help? Too much? I figure that having a theory behind what one does often helps vs. just showing a technique... 'you do this'... which may/may not work for others.

The Inquisitor
09-04-2007, 23:43
any updates on this wonderous log?

I'll post some pics tonight.

And thanks to avian to moving this to the scifi project logs. Most everything I'll be doing is 40k, with some smatterings of fantasy and other stuff.

I'll try to get the AB thread started too.

The Inquisitor
10-04-2007, 00:22
O.k., here's the colors I'll be using for my necrons. I like how they turned out. I'm going to have to work on my photography again... the lighting is screwed up and I'm getting some overexposure.

Anyway, here's the two tone color on some scarabs... with all the silver blocked in...

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Currentprojects/Necrons/projs040907005Medium.jpg

and here's a destroyer...

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Currentprojects/Necrons/projs040907007Medium.jpg

I'm pleased with how this is working out; it is a brown ink thinned and sprayed over silver, then cleaned up around it where I had overspray. I person it looks cooler, with a dulled metal look vs. shiney. I'll update the pics so they look more like what I am seeing in person.

The Inquisitor
10-04-2007, 00:34
I know it doesn't look like a lot... my pics are getting overexposed...

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Currentprojects/IMG_9680Medium.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Currentprojects/projs040907002Medium.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Currentprojects/projs040907003Medium.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Currentprojects/IMG_9687Medium.jpg

The Inquisitor
10-04-2007, 00:36
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Currentprojects/IMG_9688Medium.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Currentprojects/IMG_9685Medium.jpg

Actually, I'm beginning to think that my painting style is much more loose, until the final stages, so bear with me. More to come.

Also, got some of my IG based, using light modeling paste + sand/rock flocking and sprue. I like it as well. I'll be posting this soon.

The Inquisitor
11-04-2007, 17:19
update: we're packing right now, anticipating a move in the future. What are ppls ideas for shipping finished miniatures?

I think I've been going about this thread all wrong. I'll start posting only significant progress instead of just any progress. Re: DA- metals are on the figs.

What do ppl thinkon Azreal's chestplate? Gold? Bone? Stone/grey? I'm partial to grey.

Also: what are ppls interests in an airbrushing thread? I'm going to post a link in my sig and start a poll, so I can then focus my efforts and not just ramble on about stuff that no one cares about.

Strelok
11-04-2007, 19:20
Regarding airbrushing, I think I'm going to start using it for vehicles. Some vehicle techniques would be awesome. Also, I just saw the look on that destroyer, thats awesome.

The Inquisitor
11-04-2007, 20:06
Regarding airbrushing, I think I'm going to start using it for vehicles. Some vehicle techniques would be awesome. Also, I just saw the look on that destroyer, thats awesome.

Thanks! I was very pleased with how the destroyer looks. I'm going to use this technique throughout this army. It looks great and is easy to do. I might try this technique out on a bunch of different stuff- I have a chaos army in fantasy- this is exactly the color I was looking for. Also, red would tend to look rather interesting I would think.

Hey, check out the airbrushing poll I started. Leave the comments there, and we'll get started soon!

The Inquisitor
04-05-2007, 10:25
Due to unforseen circumstances related with my employment, I will not be able to continue posting here for the time being. @ some point in the future, I hope to return.

hallowed_are_the_ori
19-07-2007, 03:29
Shame you won't be on as much, becuase i really like this thread.

The Inquisitor
06-08-2007, 23:06
Well, I'm about off my hiatus, so I'll try to update this in the near future as well as the airbrushing thread.

hallowed_are_the_ori
07-08-2007, 02:33
Just wanna say i LOVE your steel legions

The Inquisitor
07-08-2007, 03:21
Just wanna say i LOVE your steel legions

Well, thanks! They still look pretty rough, so I hope to get them looking sharper here soon. One of the projects that I'd like to finish shortly.

Along with 10,000 others! :rolleyes::D

hallowed_are_the_ori
07-08-2007, 03:35
Nah they arent rough, they're great.

The Inquisitor
19-12-2007, 02:36
O.k., I'm back... sorta.

Well, anyway, here's how some of those figs turned out that I was working on...

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/CCproj/final%2012-18/proj122007update058Large.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/CCproj/final%2012-18/proj122007update056Large.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/CCproj/final%2012-18/proj122007update051Large.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/CCproj/final%2012-18/proj122007update044Large.jpg

Wow, they look a lot darker here, and I thought better in person. Gotta tweek the cam again...

More to come...

The Inquisitor
19-12-2007, 02:43
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/CCproj/final%2012-18/proj122007update042Large-1.jpg
Dang, need to fix the banner pole.

I did this quick paintjob a while back, but he wanted something done to it...

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/CCproj/final%2012-18/proj122007update041Large.jpg

So, anyway, all this time off has got me to thinking about this hobby and what I want to do. I have a lot of crap, and I want/need to decide what to do with it.

I've come to realize there's just some stuff I really don't care about, and want to get rid of. There's other stuff that I want to do, but I want to paint it quickly- which will require some unconventional methods.

So, over the next few months, I'll try some stuff out, and see what you all think.

One of the first things I want to do is get a playable army up and running in 40K, and perhaps something in fantasy. I might work on a few other things that I just want to do, as I'm not doing any more comission work for a while- so I can do what I want.

Anywho, I think IG, DW, RW or something that I have nearly done anyway, and go from there.

Temprus
19-12-2007, 05:16
Welcome back, great work, especially like the power sword effects.

Kasrkin 666
19-12-2007, 05:26
Dear. *********. GOD!:eek: That is soooo much stuff! I wish I had that much stuff...but not really:p. Loving everything by the way. Can't wait to see more...

-Sunny:cheese:

The Inquisitor
19-12-2007, 07:56
Yea, my wife has often said the same thing repeatedly... usually followed by 'when are you going to sell that crap?!?!" :)

Thanks for the comments; it keeps me going. I'm going to hopefully get back into the swing of things over the next while and we'll see where this takes me. I'm not going to be painting for others, at least not a lot, so I'll have time for other stuff in my life. And, I'm going to let go of my need to make everything perfect. If stuff turns out, great. If not, live and learn. Hopefully I'll be able to pass on some ideas to ppl along the way.

With so much stuff, I'm gong to have to come up with some speed painting techniques that satisfy my modeling hypercriticism though. I'll post pics too.

BigRob
19-12-2007, 08:18
Loving the powerswords, Great painting!

Count yoruself lucky though, my wife launched her own great crusade and somehow got rid of all my warhammer. I'm not allowed anymore now, apparently because its not safe round the baby.....excuses excuses:p

The Inquisitor
19-12-2007, 19:16
WHAT?!?!? :( The pain...

Yea, my wife is tolerable of it all, but doesn't like how much space it takes.

The Inquisitor
17-01-2008, 16:07
update:

Well, I'm still getting unpacked from our move, and (hopefully) will start painting again soon. Been developing a new way for me to hold/store minis so I can work on them and they don't get chipped. I'll post some pics soon.

The Inquisitor
04-02-2008, 17:35
Well, as look back on this log, its amazing what I little I've painted. I finally got those projects done that I had as a comission, but still haven't finished much since the last update that I posted on here.

That's just sad.

But, I've done a lot more thinking about what this hobby means to me. I still have been tinkering a bit, and all this time off gave me time to realize/come to some conclusions:
1. I'm never going to paint anything without a schedule. I have too many other responsibilities (a ton of them... ugh.).
2. I need to prioritize my projects and just do them.
3. A BIG ONE FOR ME: I've realized that the only way I'm ever going to get any of this stuff done is if I do things as efficiently and effectively as possible. This means using a couple things: a) using all the techniques and tools I have at my disposal and b) adjusting my expectations- i.e. I need to lower my expectations and just paint.

I've come up with some great devices to paint more efficently, and hopefully I'll be able to show these off a little bit.

So, what to start on? Here's the easiest to hardest to complete, due to level of completeness right now, difficulty in modelling/painting, etc.

- Necrons- I have a bunch that were already built when I got them, and their paint scheme is pretty easy.
- Dark angels- I've just had these forever, and I have a bunch that are already made that I got in trade. I also have pretty much the figs I need for DW and RW assemb/primed.
- IG: I'd love to do my steel legion, but the bases are taking a while.
- Eldar- I have a bunch based, I want to paint them, I just can't decide on colors.

For WFB:
- Chaos: I have a warband to finish
- VC: easy army to finish I think.

Well, that's it for now. I'll post pics as I get stuff done.

Lord Blood the Hungry
04-02-2008, 18:58
dude, don't paint stuff "cos you've got it so should paint it"
that will make it a chore and kill the fun of the hobby.
you need a reason to make an army.
when you set about devising and creating an army include a back story and reasons for choices (not "i chose this coz it pwnzords noobs and i'll win") the more characterful and interesting it is the more enthusiastic you'l be and the more you'll want to work on it.

reasons are as follows:
1. upcoming event you want to go to
find a gaming event (in 6-18 months from now) that you want to go to with your friends. and make an army for it out of the stuff you have.
2. inspired by fluff. read some of the stories around the armies you have models for. there is bound to be something that gets your imagination going. "thats ace, and i have the models i could so make that cool idea into a theme for my army!!"

if you have lost inspiration sell the lot. if the mood takes you, at some point in the future, and you want to play again, buy one thing at a time (not army boxes) and finish it before you buy anything else.

my advice is to find a gaming group and draw your inspiration from them.

Remember: if it is not fun, stop doing it.

for inspiration and a guide on how to go about putting together an army, search for and read the following project logs for start to finish (they are on this forum).

cosmic space knights (of doom) by doghouse (so cool it has 30 pages of replies in amongst the updates)
stars of dorn by lucifer216 (recently started so still only a few pages. ace ideas though)
braun II skitari by apologist
omricon's thousand sons

just a few examples of the many awesome project logs. if you can't find any inspiration from these look at the logs of those posting on these logs.

Maynard
04-02-2008, 19:07
beautiful dude lovin the dark angels so far keep it up

The Inquisitor
04-02-2008, 22:28
Thanks for the input! Yep, I understand what you are saying. It may sound weird, but for me, getting the project done IS the biggest motivator for doing it and sounds fun. The part that is driving me crazy is just what you are saying- trying to come up with fluff/paint schemes/etc.

One VERY stupid reason for this: I don't know exactly what I want to paint. Because I've done a lot of projects, etc., I think that ppl assume (at least locally) that I'm going to come up with some 'ubercreative' interpretation of something. The reality is that I've done so many for other ppl, I don't know exactly what I want, what colors I'd like to use, etc. And, I sometimes feel that I'm stealing other ppls ideas, and I guess that I then have subconsciously thought I need to come up with something else.

Another stupid reason for not finishing stuff, that I just recently realized: I really HATE building stuff. I love to paint, but don't like to build. I mean, I can build stock stuff, really quickly. I think my conversion-fu isn't that great, so I end up spending too much time deliberating and working on conversions, and they don't always turn out like I'd like. I think this has to do with ppl that I've gamed with expecting me to come up with something more than just the 'standard', thus, I waste time getting the project done by spending too much energy.

And bases too. Bases drive me crazy. I'm used to my bases taking as long to work on, paint, etc. as the model itself sometimes... well, at least on some projects that I've done for other ppl.

This is why I stated that I'm 'adjusting' my expectations. I now am looking to get things done, even with some 'stock' paintjobs and minimal conversions. I'll do something artsy-fartsy later. I just need the satisfaction of getting something DONE. Period.

That, and being able to play games and move onto another project, knowing that I've got it 'done.' I need that kind of motivation.

The problem is that I have a lot of other things I like to do, and when I have my free time, and don't schedule to work on something, I'll basically move to the point of least resistance. Getting these projects done, at any point, is not the point of least resistance. Watching TV/Playing Xbox/etc. takes less energy, and I enjoy those things too.

But I want the satisfaction of completing something acceptable in my book. And, having ppl give me good comments doesn't hurt either (of course, only if deserved... ;) ).

Thanks for the comments again, though. I really boosts me up.

Lord Blood the Hungry
05-02-2008, 13:18
dude you need a tag team.
a buddy to build cool models and one to write the fluff while you paint.

gaming group

just make sure you don't neglect the important things (wife, kids?)

The Inquisitor
05-02-2008, 22:03
dude you need a tag team.
a buddy to build cool models and one to write the fluff while you paint.

gaming group

just make sure you don't neglect the important things (wife, kids?)

You know, I was just thinking about this. I'm not too far away from a GW store here in WA (VERY good crew, BTW). Most of the ppl there- GREAT BUILDERS. I mean, really good conversions, etc. But they don't like to paint. Not even the staff. I'm on the other end of the spectrum.

I've thought seeing if anyone wants to build and I paint. Do some swaps.

The other thing: my oldest keeps pestering me to build and play. I should put him to work! :D

As for fluff, I pretty much just stick with the vanilla armies, at least for now. Perhaps after I pound out a few armies, then I'll start getting more inventive. It seems that GW has pretty much started making the armies so... 'nondescript' now anyway.

BTW- Just got a new spraybooth; Im' going to post a review on armorama, and a link on the megathread.

Satan
05-02-2008, 23:00
Just read through all 8 pages of it. Inspiring to see someone who's also got an excessive amount of stuff get some work started (even if i've got nowhere near as much as you do).

I think your idea of setting up a schedule sounds good. if I were you I'd try and make a plan where you paint for 2-3 evening/days per week (if you've got the time) and set up goals to finish one project(army) at a time. That's what I've been doing for the last 2 years, starting with wood elves and at the end of this year hopefully finishing them and getting to my death guard (which I'm REALLY looking forward to).

Let us know what you're thinking. Cheers!

The Inquisitor
06-02-2008, 00:02
Thanks! I think that plan will work. I'm just terrible at keeping a schedule when I'm 'unscheduled'. I was trying to paint ~ 3 nights a week, for an hour or two. I bet if I did this regularly, I'd get a TON done. But I get distracted, or need to help out with things around the house, or help kids with homework, or whatever.

BTW- Love the picture of House.

But I haven't been lazy, here's some things I've done in the recent past --

- I moved the majority of my crap inside -- I was in the garage in our new place, and it just wasn't working out for me to paint out there. He gets pretty cold here. This took a lot of time, but it also let me organize a lot of hobby equipment that I have, figure out what I needed to get, etc.
- I designed and built some jigs for holding figures. Some ppl call them painting rigs, I just call them nifty figure holders (nfh). They do about everything that I want, are easily replaceable and modifiable if you have the right tools. I'll take pictures. They take time to build, and I've been doing this instead of painting- b/c I think painting will go a lot faster when I have them done.

- I did paint some steel legion the other day; I should post them, because I primarily used airbrushing to lay down the basic colors, and it worked pretty well. And they are on my nifty new figure holders.

- I finally figured out the sequence for doing bases and do them to my satisfaction. I used to wait until I was done with the fig, and that I would sculpt the base. I'm trying to either do the base and the figure separately, then mount (o.k., but still problematic) or do the base before I paint, then paint it along with the figure (I like this the best...) I post pics here soon.

to all: I'll post some piccies here tonight- of my tools, mini holders. All my time off has lead me to think a lot about what I like to do in this hobby. I am a tool addict, I have admitted as much, and I like to get the right equipment to do a good job; I'll have to post some pics of my latest stuff, and hopefully some minis.

The Inquisitor
06-02-2008, 05:15
Well, I was just thinking about my building and painting dilemma again... and came to a couple conclusions.

First, in order to minimize my expectations, I'm going to limit the degree of creativity I need to exercise to get this stuff done. Thus, minimal conversions and simple basing. I.e. Nothing too fancy.

Second, I'll 'copy' a scheme, if only to have something to base the army off of. If I there is a scheme I like, I'll use it. I might modify it slightly, but I'm not going to worry about being entirely creative. If I come up with something cool along the way, I'll do it, but I'm not going to kill myself.

Just thinking out loud.

Now, to the painting!

Oh, and I got a new booth today. And a micro air valve that is mounted on my hose, so I can control air with my SB and CMB airbrushes. I'm stoked.

Althanan
06-02-2008, 19:28
I'm not too far away from a GW store here in WA (VERY good crew, BTW). Most of the ppl there- GREAT BUILDERS. I mean, really good conversions, etc. But they don't like to paint. Not even the staff. I'm on the other end of the spectrum.

WA being Washington? So, I take it this is the Auburn store, then? :p

If it is, we may have to have a meet and greet so I can see who I was helping out with his photography so long ago :D

The Inquisitor
06-02-2008, 21:06
WA being Washington? So, I take it this is the Auburn store, then? :p

If it is, we may have to have a meet and greet so I can see who I was helping out with his photography so long ago :D

Actually, its the tacoma store. I've always been wary of the GW ppl, but these guys are top notch. Great group of ppl who come to the store as well. They promote the hobby b/c they like it, which is nice. Its been good as I like to paint, and showing ppl things keeps me focused.

What I like (and other BMHS should take note) is that they make space for building and painting, which is mostly what I do. Playing's great, but a large part of what we do in this hobby is preparing to do those things.

Anyway, if you're there sometime, then we can hook up. I always need lessons on my camera-fu! :)

Althanan
07-02-2008, 00:52
I've talked to a few guys from that store before when they were up at Auburn for that store's birthday a couple months ago.

I've always thought about heading down to the Tacoma store, though. It's about the same distance from me as the Auburn store (being in Puyallup), and I wouldn't have to eff around with 167...

We may have to actually set up a meet after I get my car fixed :p

The Inquisitor
07-02-2008, 06:51
that's not very far at all! I'm surprised you haven't been over to the tacoma store; is the Auburn one bigger? I know the tacoma one hasn't been around for a long time, IIRC.

I've been trying to get down to the tac store and paint on a set night (I might try for tomorrow.), so I can at least do a little bit at a time. I usually end up doing other things though.

There's also some talk about having a 'late night fridays' for ppl who want to come down and play/paint. I might switch my nights to then, so I can hang out longer.

I'm actually going to go paint for a few minutes before I hit the sack. I'll post my progress later.

Thanks for your comments everyone.

EDIT:

I was able to paint a bit tonight, and it was refreshing- I mean really good! I didn't even notice the time fly by.

I'll get some WIP up here soon. Sprayed some metallics, wrecked some chaos cav, then fixed them, toned the shoulder pads of a necron warriors squad. Soon as I do the gauss rods (I think I'll paint them), I'll get some pics up.

I'm also going to try to batch paint some marines. Whatever I feel like doing. Perhaps I should post what KEEPS me from painting these guys. They you all can ridicule me until I get off my lazy butt, stop finding excuses, and move forward.

For instance, The things that kept me from painting the DA/SM is 1) I couldn't figure out a green that I liked. I didn't like DA green, but didn't like an olive/camo either and 2) having an easy way to shade/hightlight effectively. I don't necessarily like the GW method of painting SM. I need to get some RE magnets before I can finish building my tau, DW and RW. Stuff like that.

The Inquisitor
11-02-2008, 18:39
Before I go to work...

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Other%20projects/newprojects/proj021108UD010Small.jpg

Here's the little mini holders I was talking about...

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Other%20projects/newprojects/proj021108UD011Small.jpg

And how they sit on a peg board I made.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Other%20projects/newprojects/proj021108UD014Small.jpg

Necrons I sprayed to tint the shoulder pads

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Other%20projects/newprojects/proj021108UD015Small.jpg

As well as the guns

The Inquisitor
11-02-2008, 18:41
guard I sprayed... this was fun. Just wanted to do as much as pos without other brushing... mainly base colors.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Other%20projects/newprojects/proj021108UD019Small.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Other%20projects/newprojects/proj021108UD022Small.jpg

Base work on these minis. Tinting the base colors with AB

Just wanted to put something up. Nothing great here.

cyprus01
11-02-2008, 18:55
nice i don't know how you haven't gone mad painting all those minis good luck.

The Inquisitor
11-02-2008, 19:58
nice i don't know how you haven't gone mad painting all those minis good luck.

MUWHWHWHWHWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Actually, I'm thinking this is going to streamline my minipainting process. The flash makes the colors seem harsher. They don't look bad in person.

Metal Fingered Villain
11-02-2008, 21:35
Man, thats a lot of unopenend box's. Your dark angels look really good, I especially like the dark brooding nature of the face on that new dark angel fig, the red on him is also really rich. Can't wait to see some more, also, if your looking to part with any of those nid boxes I've got open arms and a paypal account.

Col. Wales
12-02-2008, 01:18
Dude those minis look totally awesome. all of them.
as far as your Idea about the alt color scheme for the DW termies goes, I think those would look great.

I would also love to pick you brains about basing Nurgle marines.

The Inquisitor
13-02-2008, 03:02
Thanks! Hmmmm.... basing nurgle. I have some ideas, but what were you thinking of? I always like the swampy look, or mold, or other forms of rot. You know what would look cool? Regular bases with some 'glorp' that has fallen from the marines... little puddles of ooze! Would be easy to do proly too.

Here's some more pics: these are of course WIP... nothing special:

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Other%20projects/newprojects/proj021108UD023Small.jpg

Here's a land raider that I obtained a while ago. EDIT: I should note that I didn't do most of the painting here; i'm just cleaning up the paint job and adding some dtails. Just needed to spray the tracks, spray some yellow, decal and seal. You can see the cool screens I found at home depot, that work really well in my booth.
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Other%20projects/newprojects/proj021108UD024Small.jpg

Spraying tracks... black & brown inks, then DB with chainmail.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Other%20projects/newprojects/proj021108UD025Small.jpg

Some misc projects... a salamander, a squad of tallarn RR (that will also be for sale...), a sentinel, an my mordheim ogre I've been working on forever!

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Other%20projects/newprojects/proj021108UD008Small.jpg

Some warjacks... I don't even play WM, but I do like the minis.

The Inquisitor
13-02-2008, 03:05
Well, here's some other things...

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Other%20projects/newprojects/proj021108UD009Small.jpg

Some tau I've had since they were first released. Finally decided on a scheme, which is going to be a very light khaki, with black/brown clothing. This is why there are so many different types shown here- I was trying to figure out what I like. I'm going to try to do a splinter camo scheme on the vehicles.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Other%20projects/newprojects/proj021108UD017Small-1.jpg

Here's the chaos knights resprayed. I didn't want to brush them again...

hallowed_are_the_ori
13-02-2008, 05:56
Hey dude, huge fan of your painting. Love it :D

Col. Wales
13-02-2008, 11:42
Thanks! Hmmmm.... basing nurgle. I have some ideas, but what were you thinking of? I always like the swampy look, or mold, or other forms of rot. You know what would look cool? Regular bases with some 'glorp' that has fallen from the marines... little puddles of ooze! Would be easy to do proly too.

Yah thats about what I was thinking little slime puddles. thanks

The Inquisitor
18-02-2008, 21:10
O.k... here's a quick update!

Love my new booth, got it set up, so I can spray inside....

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/spraybooth/newbooth/proj021808UD010.jpg

You can see my review and more pics by going to my review found on the megathread page...

I'm thinking of doing a whole brick of marines at one time...

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/spraybooth/newbooth/proj021808UD009.jpg

But I'm going to try to finish up the necrons first. I'll post when I can.

I'm thinking of chaning the color of the rods to a turquoise. I won't even try to explain yet.

And here's another new toy! YA!

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/spraybooth/newbooth/proj021808UD008.jpg

I finally updated my beloved SB to an SBP.

Kasrkin 666
19-02-2008, 04:23
Nice! Can't wait to see you painting some models.

-Sunny:eek:

verydarkshadow
19-02-2008, 05:38
Wow...all those models. Your painting is really nice too! Good luck with the rest of those boxes!

The Inquisitor
19-02-2008, 06:24
Wow...all those models. Your painting is really nice too! Good luck with the rest of those boxes!

Thanks! I appreciate it!

Update: I finished basing those marines, worked on a monolith, based some eldar guardians, sprayed some tank tracks. That's about it.

I'm going to speed paint the marines using all the basic techniques that I have in my arsenal. Going to try to tint the necron rods so they look turquoise. I'll post when I remember.

bdo
19-02-2008, 06:44
you have a big load of stuff to paint... ever dared to count the number of miniatures you have ahead of you?

but your painting is solid, i have absolutely no knowledge about tabletop painting and airbrushing (except that some people use airbrushes for tanks) going hand in hand. pretty interesting and good looking results i must say, keep it up. :)

hallowed_are_the_ori
19-02-2008, 06:47
Love your models dude.

The Inquisitor
10-03-2008, 04:57
Love your models dude.

Thanks! I hope i can do more, get more feedback.

Here's my booth again in action... just got this monolith based.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/spraybooth/newbooth/DSCN3824.jpg

A couple things to say: Started using canned spray, then just decided to break out the airbrush and decant the spray with a straw. Reasons for this:

1. you have a lot more control of spray, air and the coat you put on.
2. You don't waste as much
3. you can minimize your overspray, fumes, etc.
4. You can get into all the nooks and crannies much more easily.

Hope I can get this up and running here soon.

hallowed_are_the_ori
10-03-2008, 05:46
Wish my spray rig was a lot better lol

Mine's just a rotating cake tray and an old table outside lol.

The Inquisitor
11-03-2008, 21:17
You know, this is the reason that I wanted to post stuff about airbrushing. I'd like to see ppl take advantage of these modeling tools more. But the cost is prohibitive, so you don't need to be spending $$$ on things that you shouldn't have to. They are great, though, but you have to remember, they are just another brush on the desktop. They don't replace everything.

That being said, I'm painting ~15-20 marines right now, using the AB to first highlight the rounded areas of the armor, then overspray to blend them back in. Then I did a highlight with a big drybrush over the armor, which basically makes them look like this:
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/darkangels/proj021808UD007Medium.jpg

I'll then wash/line with paint, then do some very 'hgih' highlights, then overspray them again to blend it all in. The painting on the armor *should* be about done after that, and I will only need to pick out the details, do the weapons and bases. If this works, it will easily cut my time in 1/2 or more to do a couple squads.

Here's with some light on in the booth; don't look as stark, but I wanted ppl to see the hightlighting that I did.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/darkangels/proj021808UD009Medium.jpg

I know they look bright now, but they will be toned down a lot by a good coat of orginal color either applied as a wash or via airbrush, and with more ambient lighting.

brambleten
11-03-2008, 21:47
i have to admire your persistence with just painting one unit of each army at a time. i go from guy to guy from each of the armies in my sig, usually doing a bit of work on a couple then leaving them because i get bored of the scheme. i like your dark angels, pity mine didnt work out :( do you use GW paints at all? all i saw in the pics were other brands.what is that brand btw. are they any good? also, if you get bored with one scheme, break open a blister from a different army midway through a big unit and paint it. then go back to the big unit. i find it breaks up painting nicely

Lord Inquisitor
11-03-2008, 23:27
Impressive work, Inquisitor. And impressive set up!

I think you may have painted more 40k models in this blog than I ever have. The power sword effects are particularly nice, might have to steal that idea...

The Inquisitor
11-03-2008, 23:40
I agree with getting bored; I guess it has depended for me on what mood I'm in. If I'm really burnt out from work/etc., It can be relaxing... actually, I usually don't paint if I'm burnt out... just another project to do (the TV usually wins in those cases...).

But what has lead to the situation that I have all these mini projects open is often this:
- I start out saying "O.k., to play, I need xTroops & HQ; then I likely need this.
- I break them out, start working on them, etc.
- Then I get bored of building, or painting, or something happens in life that just occupies my time and I loose momentum. (comes from life/job/profession/family/etc.)

I end up starting someting new because:
- I come back from what ever else I was doing and decide to work on something else
- I see something new, and decide that I want to do it
- I bought some collections off ebay, and kept them when I thought I was going to sell them.
- I start reading a codex or see some project at someone else did and get excited about something I've put on the back burner.

What has this led to? How about this:
- a bunch of 1/2 finished DA (probably about 3 tac squads, 2 scout squads, a couple of dev squads, and a command squad with a couple leaders that are never done...)
- A bunch of 1/2 started IG, including a mechanized infantry unit, a SL platoon and a bunch of tanks.
- A couple units of tau that are begging to be finished.
- A 1/2 completed chaos warband
- A 1/2 started DAK army from FOW.
- A necron army that I traded with a guy, that was already partially built.

Anyway, I decided that I just need to do what's interesting to me at the time. If I don't feel like finishing/working on something, I don't do it. I have too many other things in my life that I need to do on deadlines, and my hobby doesn't need to be that way. However, I do temper this this a degree of organization and 'forcing' myself to finish projects, so hopefully I'll have a good balance which lets me get stuff done.

I also have done the "I'll just paint this guy really quickly" thing too much- cracking open a blister and then painting it partially. I really realized that I dislike building, and this is what bogs me down. Painting is fun to me. So is gaming. But I get stuck on this stage so nothing gets done. So, I'm going to minimize my building/converting and concentrate on painting and playing.

I've also started my son on building! He had a lot of fun doing it the other day, so perhaps I have a new labor force to utilize :)

Re: paints. I use GW paints all the time, but for the DA I decided to use some other brands of paint, b/c I liked the colors and I didn't have to mix the GW paints to get what I wanted. I am using some vallejo model colors and tamiya colors on this batch. I also have used some GW greys, and plan on using greys/metals/reds in the future.

The reason that I went with these colors: I didn't want the bright hue, but something more muted. I didn't want to have an olive either. I started with a IJN green at one point, but it was just too hard to mix/blend with other paints.

The vallejos are good, as are the tamiyas (though the latter is better for airbrushing...).

I also get caught up in the painting planning stage: I think being in school for such a long time and having limited funds really made me think too much about some of these projects, and how I wanted to paint them. I'd get stuck there a lot of times too, because I didn't want to have to strip a project that didn't turn out.

I think this is why I did so much commission work; ppl could tell me what they wanted done and I could do it. I found that pretty enjoyable, though I didn't like doing my hobby to make $$$. It kinda takes the fun out of it.

The Inquisitor
11-03-2008, 23:46
Impressive work, Inquisitor. And impressive set up!

I think you may have painted more 40k models in this blog than I ever have. The power sword effects are particularly nice, might have to steal that idea...

Thanks! You know, I realized a while back that I'm a tool addict. I love tools and learning how to use them. I think it is empowering, because then you can create.

I think too, I've always strived for the 'holy grail' in painting/modeling/wargaming- being able to paint stuff as effectively and efficiently as possible, to a decent quality quickly. I'm picky too, which is bad. I've experiemented tons and tried lots of different things, which is why you see a lot more of this than painted minis, I guess! :)

Glad you like the swords. I tried to capture something a little more dynamic, and this technique is still evolving for me. If you want, I could do a little tutorial when I get to my next power sword. It is VERY easy to do, esp. if you have the right tools (a nice brush, the right paints and the ability to thin them well)

The Inquisitor
17-03-2008, 20:12
update: been working on the marines- hope to finish them in the next couple days. I've been working on a couple other projects- new computer, did some stuff down at the local GW shop. I'll post some pics later today.

The Inquisitor
18-03-2008, 18:56
Well, I'm going to blog, so sorry no immediate update...

You know, I realized why I have hate painting space marines. There are a number of reasons.

First of all, they are NOT as easy as everyone would like to think. If you paint them, there are lots of circular surfaces that need highlighting that isn't really amenable to painting a 'line' and calling it good.

Second of all, the standard for GW SM has been set and I judge my painting by those, consciously or unconsciously. The problem is that in many instances, their painting doesn't reflect (no pun intended) how something would look. Look at the pictures that are painted by ppl; notice no excessive extreme highlights, etc.? So, I get done, am satisfied and then compare my stuff and think 'what did I do wrong?" If I try to follow their methods, I just don't like how they turn out. They look fine, and esp. on the table top, they look great. But I just don't like the way that some of the extreme highlighting ends up looking.

Third, to get the effects that I want, I need to use other techniques. For instance, I've noticed that GW figs aren't completely flat; in fact, they tend to reflect ambient light, but not like a gloss fig. So, sealing your figs with a satin sealer is important. Of note, there are good figure modelers out there that swear by using a satin as the final coat, even on things that should be matt, b/c the surface will reflect more light.

This all makes sense to me, as we all need to add highlights and shadows in order to emphasize detail, etc.; something that approaches full size doesn't need this. If you make the surface reflect more light (i.e. painting hightlights/i.e. brighter colors, edging with gloss media, or using a satin finish, at least on some models...) you get more emphasis which is needed on smaller models.

This is one reason I think many ppl who try to apply their skills at mini painting directly to doing larger models or tanks can have a bunch of problems. The skills aren't directly applicable.

so, i modified slightly what I'm doing and I like the results. Pics in the near future will be posted.

EDIT: I can't say its all bad, the way that GW paints their marines, nor is every painter's way of painting bad to me. As I paint, there are things that I borrow from their style for sure.

When I get these done, that will be a total of 30 marines I have done.

jhon
20-03-2008, 10:09
You know, this is the reason that I wanted to post stuff about airbrushing. I'd like to see ppl take advantage of these modeling tools more. But the cost is prohibitive, so you don't need to be spending $$$ on things that you shouldn't have to. They are great, though, but you have to remember, they are just another brush on the desktop. They don't replace everything.

That being said, I'm painting ~15-20 marines right now, using the AB to first highlight the rounded areas of the armor, then overspray to blend them back in. Then I did a highlight with a big drybrush over the armor, which basically makes them look like this:
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/darkangels/proj021808UD007Medium.jpg

I'll then wash/line with paint, then do some very 'hgih' highlights, then overspray them again to blend it all in. The painting on the armor *should* be about done after that, and I will only need to pick out the details, do the weapons and bases. If this works, it will easily cut my time in 1/2 or more to do a couple squads.

Here's with some light on in the booth; don't look as stark, but I wanted ppl to see the hightlighting that I did.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/darkangels/proj021808UD009Medium.jpg

I know they look bright now, but they will be toned down a lot by a good coat of orginal color either applied as a wash or via airbrush, and with more ambient lighting.

dude .. how much have you spend on model ?? you must be the marry with out children type ...

The Inquisitor
07-04-2008, 23:12
Well, after figuring out how much I DON'T like building stuff, my hobby life has improved. Been trying to minimize the building/conversion stuff, and just diong as much painting as I can.

here's the latest project I finished, doing it for the local GW shop:

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Currentprojects/Picture041Medium.jpg

Took me a few hours of solid work, though it took ~6-8 hours total to finish with interruptions, etc.

I started out with a grey undercoat as seen here:

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Currentprojects/Picture001Medium.jpg

Pretty boring. Then I preshaded with black like so:

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Currentprojects/Picture013Medium.jpg

then I sprayed light to dark (easier to cover than try to spray dark to light... same with brush painting.

Starting with khaki

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Currentprojects/Picture016Medium.jpg

Note how the shading is retained.

More to come.

The Inquisitor
07-04-2008, 23:22
I then cut in with catechan green. I firs was going to do this by masking with a bluetack...

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Currentprojects/Picture017Medium.jpg

But the package I got was crappy and causing probelms, so I just freehanded it...

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Currentprojects/Picture018Medium.jpg

The reason for this was to get 'sharper' camo lines, as this matched the pics I was given. But it was pissing me off, so I just did it this way.

i then did some post shading (spraying the border between the camo), but it was a little dark and not as thinned as I liked. But I was able to hide this with additional building up of the different colors. After this, I did some quick drybrushing (using some big brushes) of bone-white on the khaki, and camo/CG mix, and bone on the green.

I then oversprayed the areas to blend the highlights back into the base colors.

I then sprayed some black distruption stripes on the borders intermittently.

tracks are done by spraying them black (yes, I got inbetween all the road wheels and stuff... just later on. Oversprayed with brown (I think a mix of ink and some other dark brown color...), then DB with chainmail.

I started on the viewports, 'gems', headlights using silver as a base then using translucent colors (inks, tamiya clears) for a base color.

I later finished them up by shading the top portions, then building up the colors like the others.

Also painted the silver in, then faded it using 'traditional' brushing, but also using the airbrush to get nice fades. I did this whereever needed.

I then used thin brushes/liners to accentuate ports, panel lines, etc. and

So, it ended up like this...

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Currentprojects/Picture032Medium.jpg

and

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Currentprojects/Picture031Medium.jpg

As you can tell, I need a bigger photocube.... I didn't really have it set up right.

I also ended up doing other detailing- painting 'holes' for the smoke launchers, etc.

fun model to paint.

The Inquisitor
07-04-2008, 23:25
On other fronts...

- the 30 marines are about done. Took them down to the local shop; they look good on the table!
- built and sprayed the monolith. Thinking about how to do the living metal on it.
- build a bunch of chaos mortals stuff for WFB.
- mounted a steel legion platoon on bases- my idea worked without a lot of hassles!
- pulled out my ravenwing; I'm hoping to finish it soon as well. Picked up Samael a while ago, and been rethinking my DA.
- I have an O&G giant that is ready to paint! old metal one. I'm excited!
- got some magnets so i can work on tau and OK for WHFB.
- Demoed using liquid glues down at the GW shop, and finished building my Saurus, so I can start on that.
- sprayed a hormagaunt squad a camo green, and am deciding if I like it.

I'd also been doing some work demoing airbrushes down at the local GW shop; I started painting a chaos baneblade and brought it home to finish. I also started on a HE dragon, but found out it was missing the foot, so that's on hold.

Oh, and here's my latest inspiration for my tau; either this or another splinter camo scheme, for cityfighting.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/0921-2.jpg

and another shot on the ground...

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/071220_mig07.jpg

Kasrkin 666
08-04-2008, 01:51
Cool. Can't wait to see the Tau in it.

-Sunny

brambleten
08-04-2008, 20:04
i like the baneblade a lot. my only problem is that in one of the smoke launchers havent been drilled out or filed down (well, the middle one on the left looks rough). i have mine drilled out and they look cool, but not painted to as high a standard as yours. i cant wait to see tau painted like that, especially if you can get the colours as sharp as that

The Inquisitor
09-04-2008, 16:45
i like the baneblade a lot. my only problem is that in one of the smoke launchers havent been drilled out or filed down (well, the middle one on the left looks rough). i have mine drilled out and they look cool, but not painted to as high a standard as yours. i cant wait to see tau painted like that, especially if you can get the colours as sharp as that

thanks for the input. Yea, they didn't do this (I didn't build the tank, and was painting it for the local shop...). I did go back and get it, so I could finish up some details. I'll take some pics of this. I ended up painting openings for the smoke launchers, but I could just drill them out... wouldn't be hard.

They didn't have the transfer sheet, so I made a quick template and sprayed a number "1" on the side of the turret, and added some kill rings on the barrel.

I also am doing some weathering on this model, using postshading techniques primarily. got done with the basic browns last night. Will add some chipping, dust/mud, and perhaps I'll drill out these.

I may add some pastels, but I'm hesitant to do so; this is a store model that can get played with, and powders have a tendence to be rubbed off.

re: tau- I think that I either will do a digital camo pattern or a mottled camo pattern. Hard to explain in words... I'll try to find a pic.

The Inquisitor
11-04-2008, 16:32
I got the project back... did a little weathering, masked and painted its number, kill rings, etc. i noticed a place that I'll have to tone down, b/c it looks out of place; perhaps tonight when I'm down there...

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Currentprojects/updated007.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Currentprojects/updated008.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Currentprojects/updated006.jpg

jasevx
11-04-2008, 16:47
That is really stunning, great to see a flowing camo scheme. The weathering is fairly bang on, I haye to see total rust buckets, unless they are renegrade

brambleten
11-04-2008, 17:24
the smoke launchers look much better. now, how do smoke launchers that small cover a tank that big in smoke?

Fraggzy
11-04-2008, 18:10
that is realy, realy good painting and realy good painting and realy good painting tip for tanks, i will try it!

The Inquisitor
11-04-2008, 21:48
Thanks everyone for your comments! I'm pleased with how it turned out. Now... what to do next....

The Inquisitor
12-04-2008, 23:34
Here's some pics of the Chaos BB I just finished. A bit blurry- I'll try to get some better pics...

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Currentprojects/morepics016.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Currentprojects/morepics019.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Currentprojects/morepics020.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Currentprojects/chaosBB/chaosbb004.jpg

Sorry they are blurry; i'll try to get some more later.
edit: added better pics.

The Inquisitor
12-04-2008, 23:35
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Currentprojects/morepics022.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Currentprojects/morepics023.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Currentprojects/morepics024.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Currentprojects/chaosBB/chaosbb009.jpg

devolutionary
12-04-2008, 23:42
Wow... you made spikes look wicked good! I usually dislike the look, but you've managed to make it in to a mobile trench system. That's thoroughly excellent!

hallowed_are_the_ori
13-04-2008, 05:44
Looks good, except the barbed wire kind of looks out of place, sorry.

brambleten
13-04-2008, 10:59
is that an exhaust pipe or a heavy flamer on the back?
very nice work. lots of red, lots of spikes, its definitely chaos

Fraggzy
13-04-2008, 11:38
thats just to good painting...... great spikes, great "eye" and i think the barbed wire looked good!

but arent you fighting for the wrong team? an inquisitor fighting for chaos?

rev
13-04-2008, 12:05
Nice to see someone using an airbrush to good effect, I'd love to know more about how they work and give it a go.

rev

Althanan
14-04-2008, 03:58
Inquisitor, that deserves one word:

God damn.

Wait, that was two... oops...

BTW, check your PM's

The Inquisitor
14-04-2008, 05:03
:) Thanks everyone! Hey, Althanan, check your PM too!

re: the barbed wire- yea, it is a +/-, but I think it turned out ok. The rules the guy has for it cause models to take hits if they try to assault, and doesn't allow for death/glory, or something like that...

I'm going to update the pics; I took my tripod down there and too pictures! man, does it make a difference. So, I'm just going to replace the chaos bb pictures with respect to the links above, so check them out!

also, didn't know what to do next, so i had that SW landraider lying around... decided to start weathering it. going for a used look, but still upkept. I think I'll throw some decals on it, and then decide what to do with it (sell/trade/keep it).

Ara'Kus Tony
14-04-2008, 10:56
Here's some pics of the Chaos BB I just finished. A bit blurry- I'll try to get some better pics...

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Currentprojects/morepics016.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Currentprojects/morepics019.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Currentprojects/morepics020.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Currentprojects/chaosBB/chaosbb004.jpg

Sorry they are blurry; i'll try to get some more later.
edit: added better pics.

Dude is this the one thats been on display at the tacoma store?

The Inquisitor
14-04-2008, 15:01
Yep! It was on the back table all day with huron sitting on top.

Volrath
17-04-2008, 21:13
nice. Im sure that Iwata SBP should help with the detail work, always wanted to get one of those. I'm kinda in the same boat painting wise, over decade of models and only nearly two armies completed....but we must have new toys!!

The Inquisitor
19-04-2008, 08:02
Well, a little update....

- you know, those tanks look better in person; I really have to get a better photo system...
- been working on my nec monolith. Hopefully I'll have pics soon.
- Been dreaming of how to do tau... when I get the chance I'll do a test piece.

Captain Jerican
19-04-2008, 13:10
I think it's interesting to see someone do the Hellhammer for a chaos conversion, it looks really unique!

The Inquisitor
21-04-2008, 04:55
quick update: I'm trying to work on my monolith. One of the more frustrating projects I've dealt with. Metallic paints kept giving me tons of problems. Had to end up thinning them with rubbing alcohol to get to reduce well and dry fast. But, I like how its turning out.

the necron face plate is missing, as I took it off to paint it. I'm also painting the gems/rods a blue color.

Here's some WIP pics, with masking (I'm cleaning up the brass...)

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Currentprojects/Necrons/newpics002Medium.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Currentprojects/Necrons/newpics004Medium.jpg

I was playing with some ways of representing the living metal, including different tones throughout the metal. I'm settling on the 'blue lines' on the surface of the monolith.

Althanan
21-04-2008, 05:43
Ooooo, can't wait to see how that turns out :)

Fraggzy
21-04-2008, 07:06
great, waiting for more!

The Inquisitor
22-04-2008, 07:57
quickie, not much... lots going on right now...

wanted to show the Monolith... which sorta shows the 'living metal' energy effect I'm looking for... Finished cleaning up the spray around the bottom, took off the tape. (btw- taping is pretty easy and quick, if you have the right equipment to do it...)

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Currentprojects/Necrons/pics4-21-08001.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Currentprojects/Necrons/pics4-21-08002.jpg

I have to clean up the back.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Currentprojects/Necrons/pics4-21-08003.jpg

and I need to color match these things, as i have changed the 'brown/gold/copper shoulder pads and am using 'blue' gauss/energy stuff now...

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Currentprojects/Necrons/pics4-21-08006.jpg

Fraggzy
22-04-2008, 08:34
it looks realy great!!

take19
23-04-2008, 19:58
I really like the tyranid- what colors did you use on it's shell?

The Inquisitor
23-04-2008, 20:46
That's interesting you'd ask, I have about 5 different versions of the same thing.

I assume you are referring to this?
http://warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=852956&postcount=39

here's a really simple recipie though- this is for each piece of carapace:
- over black undercoat, put a mix of snakebite and black 9one of my fav colors)
- Then once dry, take Snakebite (SB) or SB + bone (don't remember...) and draw some lines along the edges, ridges. You are going to cover these, but it will make the part stand out/be more highlighted.

- build up the carapace: a) about 50-75% of the surface, paint with some thinned SB; alternatively, you paint 'lines'/brush strokes, getting a texture.; then start putting in brush strokes with bone ~ 25-50% of the length fo the shell, and vary them. then edge with some bone/white.

- tone back/create a filter/wash/etc. All the same idea- the key part, you tone it back with a wash of either SB+Black or Brown ink or whatever, to ties all the colors back together; then start the process over, but thin your paints a lot. This will tone the colors, get ride of the drastic highlights and give you your new surface to work on.

- you can repeat the process, getting rid of one step each time. i.e. this time, do SB+bone, then bone, wash back. The do some bone, bn + white, white on some edges, and you can blend back/tone if you want, then touch up with some bone/white mix.

once you have a nice shell transition- i.e. blending from brown/black to bone, you go BACK and start painting some lines over the shell using black+brown mix. i use a liner to do this. (a brush that has really long, thin bristles, usually synthetic) to make the hatch marks.

You can also go back and paint the shadows back in... Actually this is key. If you are using liners,

See how that works? Sounds complicated, but its not:

and, btw- this is the same process you'd use with any kinds of painting, etc. I have/plan to use an AB to do my 'toning' in the future. you have the brush loaded up, do your lining, then tone. Dry in seconds, then start over.

IIRC, I clean it up and may repeat the process.

Perhaps I should do a tutorial? Some piccies in progress? I just haven't done these for some time....

I liked how it turned out, but it was really a pain to do. The adv of using inks on those parts is that you get a 'turtleshell' looking carapace, which is what I wanted- semiglossy, etc.;

take19
23-04-2008, 22:05
Very very intresting/detailed, however i'd save that kind of work for the bigger bugs, because as easy it would be to get the hang of after a while, painting an entire swarm like that would be... demanding!

I'd love to see you do a carnifex like that though, it would look seriouslly sick.

The Inquisitor
24-04-2008, 01:07
Very very intresting/detailed, however i'd save that kind of work for the bigger bugs, because as easy it would be to get the hang of after a while, painting an entire swarm like that would be... demanding!

I'd love to see you do a carnifex like that though, it would look seriouslly sick.

hahaha! Yea, that's why I haven't painted anymore! :) I just haven't revisited the project to come up with an easier way to get similar results with less work.

It really doesn't take that long though; really, and it is easier to do this stuff on the smaller bugs. Why? You don't have as large a surface area to paint, to make look really good.

I did an old lictor like this; actually took so much longer, I couldn't believe it. I realized that I was spending more time because there was just more surface area to paint.

hallowed_are_the_ori
24-04-2008, 01:48
Lovin your necrons so far buddy.

Gunner
24-04-2008, 02:01
Great color scheme for the Necrons!

The Inquisitor
24-04-2008, 18:32
Gunner, Hallowed: Thanks! I think developing good schemes is one of the hardest parts of painting this stuff, so i appreciate the feedback a lot.

update: you know, even when i can't do a lot, i try to do something. here's some current pics of the modest progress i've made...

I decided that although I really do like the green for the necrons (even my new computer is black with green lighting...), it didn't do what I wanted it to, exactly I didn't like the transparent rods as much either... and the big gem looked too fake. So, I thought i'd try changing it by painting.

I couldn't decide on green or blue, so i thought I'd try blue first. After grey primer and regal blue (yes, that's regal in the bottle... I had transferred a lot of my GW paints to bottles at one time...)

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Currentprojects/Necrons/pics4-24-08001.jpg

And here's a couple with the DARKEST blue- I haven't done the lighting/lightning effects on them yet. I'll get to that.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Currentprojects/Necrons/pics4-24-08003.jpg

If I don't like this, I'll just repaint it a dark green and build up from there.

Fraggzy
24-04-2008, 19:49
i think the monolith looks great so far!:D

The Inquisitor
25-04-2008, 09:09
Here's the latest... Sorry for the crappy pics

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Currentprojects/Necrons/DSCN4149.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Currentprojects/Necrons/DSCN4150.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Currentprojects/Necrons/DSCN4151.jpg

Gives you an idea of where I'm going...

mmmmm.... blue gauss-y death...

Cassarus
25-04-2008, 09:41
Realy nice light effect!

Cheers

Althanan
25-04-2008, 18:34
:eek:

Damn man! Nice work!

Wish I wasn't already busy tonight so I could come down to the store and see that beast in person...

The Inquisitor
26-04-2008, 02:35
thanks everyone; I'll try to finish it up this weekend.

overall, I like how it's turned out, but I think I'd like some dept to the gem a bit more, perhaps once I gloss it.

I'll post more pics as i get the chance!

Althanan
27-04-2008, 06:48
Dropped by the store for a few minutes today, mostly just to look at the Blades you painted.

DAMN!

They're way, way more impressive in person than they are online, and that's saying something.

Good work, man!

The Inquisitor
27-04-2008, 18:26
Dropped by the store for a few minutes today, mostly just to look at the Blades you painted.

DAMN!

They're way, way more impressive in person than they are online, and that's saying something.

Good work, man!

Thanks! I really appreciate the input.

oh, and sorry I missed you. I dropped in a couple times, talked to the mgmt a bit, proly around 1 and 3- it was busy though, so you could have even been there and I didn't see you.

Back to the tanks. Yea, I've noticed this as well, in general, but particularly with these pieces. Pics generally don't convey what the eye sees. I find that esp with models, certain effects don't look good under a macro lense, but are very pleasing when seen in person. There's a lot of effects on those tanks that just get lost in the pics via lighting, etc.

To me, this makes a lot of sense: it's not just the summation of a bunch of small techniques/effects, but how they all tie together and synergize.

I was just talking with the manager down at the local shop re: this- when you have an army, for instance, certain colors will be muted and others will pop out depending on what they are surrounded with. So, its not just the mini, but everything they are around that makes them look good or crappy.

You know, I might end up doing an orky one too... I'll keep you all posted.

update: monolith is looking good. I need to get ppls opinions re: lighting effects on the rods.

The Inquisitor
28-04-2008, 07:08
Well, I like how this has turned out, but the pics don't do it justice right now.

I still need to do a bit of weathering, and get these rods looking better than they do. I'll probably gloss coat them. It looks better in person. I didn't set up any appropriate lighting to give it justice.

Again from the front...

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Currentprojects/Necrons/pics4-27-08010Small.jpg

side
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Currentprojects/Necrons/pics4-27-08011Small.jpg

rear
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Currentprojects/Necrons/pics4-27-08012Small.jpg

Other side

The Inquisitor
28-04-2008, 07:13
From the front...

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Currentprojects/Necrons/pics4-27-08014Small.jpg

The lighting on the rods is basically 'globes'- think the 1/2 life 2 energy balls... that's what kept coming to my mind....

I tried some lightning, but on the smaller rods, it just gets messy. I think glossing will bring out the effects much more nicely.

the pics don't let you see the layered effects of different blues on the rods.

I still have to do some weathering, glossing these parts, doing touch up on details such as the front plate (silvers, washes, etc.). etc. Hopefully it will be done in a couple days.

Other things:
I might start finishing up the rest of the necrons now that I have my scheme worked out...

here's a box... I'd like to get it done in a few days...

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Currentprojects/Necrons/pics4-27-08004Medium.jpg

And here's a cool little thing I picked up: a tiny desktop fan for creating airflow to dry parts.

O.k., original pic didn't show size... this things powerful for the size...

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Currentprojects/Necrons/pics4-27-08020Small.jpg

Its great! About the size of my hand!

thoughts, comments, questions all appreciated/welcome!

Question: does it need markings, or is it good enough?

Kasrkin 666
29-04-2008, 01:43
That Monolith is amazing!

-Sunny

Althanan
29-04-2008, 03:09
The lighting effects are even more ace now than they were a couple of days ago. As I said in the PM, they give a really unique look to it that you just don't see often with Necrons.

Now you've inspired me to look at a Necron army of my own, and it's really quite amazing how cheaply a fairly effective army of them can be had (basically a Lord, 2-3 battleforces, some Immortals, and a 'Lith) compared to some other armies. My wallet despises you :p

Keep it up, and good luck with the army build.

Fraggzy
29-04-2008, 07:36
the monolith is some of the coolest painting i have seen in a long time :D
it is realy great painted and it looks almost real:)

warflag
01-05-2008, 01:09
Good god, youŽve got some awesome stuff here, your excellence.

I can only hope your lady gets jewelry on a regular basis, as otherwise it takes no prophet to know whoŽll wake up with an axe in his head, for spending so much money on GW stuff.

Great painting aswell. I like the airbrush work.
Very true, what you wrote about the difference between painting soldiers and tanks. Highlighting a tank is something very different, and it gives me a hard time with my Landraider.

Keep it up, paint Žem all!

The Inquisitor
01-05-2008, 19:03
o.k., a quick update:

- Got the necron battleforce prepped, built, and undercoated black. I hope to have it painted by this weekend.
- done a bit of detailing on the monolith; its not done yet, entirely.
- I needed to paint on something (withdrawals...) so I did a little work on the steel legion. I am wondering if I want to change the coats to a khaki (greenish brown) as opposed to a grey green color. I'll do both and post for opinions.

Question: I have old deathwing- What do ppl think about using the old bases (i.e. 1" round) v. the larger ones they use now? I could put them on either, but didn't know if I wanted to. Is there an advantage game-wise? Aesthetically speaking, I think they'd look good on the larger ones, but they still are small compared to the new terminators.

Thoughts?

warflag
03-05-2008, 13:46
I use alot of classic terminators, and I have them on the large bases. Rules wise both are legal afaik, and both have their advantages. Small ones leave less space for enemy models to attack a single model, but as it is now you have full attacks from 2 " distance anyway. with the big bases you can block a wider path for the enemy with less models which are well armoured. It lokks better as well.
Maybe lift the models on rocky features or something, so they donŽt look too small. As you migt have seen in my log, it doesnŽt look odd at all.

IŽd say big ones.

Show us some, btw

The Inquisitor
03-05-2008, 18:07
I use alot of classic terminators, and I have them on the large bases. Rules wise both are legal afaik, and both have their advantages. Small ones leave less space for enemy models to attack a single model, but as it is now you have full attacks from 2 " distance anyway. with the big bases you can block a wider path for the enemy with less models which are well armoured. It lokks better as well.
Maybe lift the models on rocky features or something, so they donŽt look too small. As you migt have seen in my log, it doesnŽt look odd at all.

IŽd say big ones.

Show us some, btw

Thanks for the input!

i'll get some painted up soon; they shouldn't be that hard to finish. Been working on a little guard to break up the monotony of dealing with necrons.

I'll Post some WIP necron shots as well. Probably later today.

The Inquisitor
07-05-2008, 16:04
Well, my camera died, and so I had to recharge it.

here's my progress:
- necron warriors are painted, basic colors. Still need to do some touch up of highlights and other detail. Took me a while as i got ahead of myself, and didn't clean off some flash, and had to go back and fix it. Actually, relatively easy. Soon will be basing them.
- painted up the 'rods' so I can turn them blue.
- ready to start on the destroyers and scarabs

Other things I've been working on
- playing with two different colors on the SL- I think I like the green grey

(sigh) its that time of year again,

Althanan
07-05-2008, 18:47
Get it charged, git! We want pictures! :p

The Inquisitor
08-05-2008, 04:15
Get it charged, git! We want pictures! :p

haha! I'll get on it tonight. I hope to finish up those rods today/tonight.

I'm also may be going to the local shop and doing some painting this friday; I think I'll take the AB/equipment down and work on a tank they have down there. If not Friday, perhaps Sat.

i'd be fun to get it done in one day... :)

Althanan
08-05-2008, 04:54
Hmmm... I MAY be heading up to Seattle Friday night for Emerald City, but if not I'll gladly try to come down to join you.

The Inquisitor
08-05-2008, 16:27
Hmmm... I MAY be heading up to Seattle Friday night for Emerald City, but if not I'll gladly try to come down to join you.

Maybe i should do it saturday? It seems that Fridays are hellabusy anyway.... thoughts?

Althanan
08-05-2008, 19:36
How late are they open Saturday? 10? If so, I MIGHT be able to come down late in the day either way... I'll drop you a PM sometime tonight to let you know what I'll be up to.

Putty
08-05-2008, 20:04
i always wanted to get an airbrush but financial problem always crop up the moment i want to get one.

argh....

great stuff you have here mate... they are a joy to see!

keep them comming!

The Inquisitor
11-05-2008, 08:57
Well, did another project for the local shop- fun little orky thing. Took a couple hours only b/c it was built beforehand...

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Currentprojects/orky/5-10-08pics046.jpg

some close ups... its not completely done... Still need to do a couple details... like lenses.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Currentprojects/orky/5-10-08pics048Medium.jpg

fun exercise in chipping. I think this is eventually going to be shipped off to gamesday. So, hope someone has fun with it!

I'll post more later...

The Inquisitor
12-05-2008, 07:55
Well, what to do next? I'm getting a little burnt out on necrons, but i need to finish them.

- currently, I have the warriors to finish (brings up to a total of 40), 6 destroyers, a bunch of scarabs, 3 wraiths, a couple spyders... that's what's built. I should just finish them. I got the rods sprayed, now I just need to put them on.

- i broke out the tau, I might try working on them. I have a couple squads of deathwing. i have been working a bit on my IG.

Thoughts?

@ putty: thanks! you know, a basic airbrushing set up is not hard to save for and get. You don't need much. If you want to do a lot of spraying or more artwork, you'll need a bit more than just the basics.

I'd like to do my articles still, but I just haven't had the time with everything going on.

Althanan
12-05-2008, 18:29
Love the Skullhamma, or whatever that thing is :) Another one I'll have to come down to the shop to see...

One project at a time, mate. That way you don't get distracted and this lose focus and momentum. Your scheme should be pretty quick to hammer out on the Necrons, so keep at 'em!

The Inquisitor
21-05-2008, 16:26
Well, for the time being, I won't be having many updates. I've had to take a break to take care of some professional matters, but will be back in the mix probably sometime next month.

I've thought about this log though, and while useful to keep me motivated, it probably sucks for ppl that might be interested in only one topic. I may break out different projects into their own logs, and reference the log here- perhaps in the very beginning of this log- and in my sig.

When I'm done, I'd also like to finish my articles/thoughts re: airbrushing.

Althanan
21-05-2008, 16:57
Cheers mate, real life always comes first. Needs must, as they say.

As for the log topic bit, I wouldn't worry overmuch about it. I come here because I like your work, period. If someone wants a specific topic, they can go read one of the hundreds of Marine or Death Korps logs :P

The Inquisitor
22-06-2008, 09:08
Well, since I've finished some of the major professional projects I had cooking, I've taken some time to do some other projects. Here's some tables i worked with the local crew to get done at the local GW store. Building was done by Erick (local staffer); theme and design by staffers; execution/painting of table, forgeworld pieces, bunkers, etc. mostly by me with staffers/mngr. Minis by staffers.

The project took a few days, but overall not that long. Main table was sprayed and sealed in a day and the pieces started. On another day, the pieces were finished. Kudos to the staff for the design and thematic direction. It is supposed to represent the 'scorching' taking place by a tyranid invasion. This is one of 3 (!) tables to be used for a giant apocalypse table on for the launch of 40K.

the overall table:

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Currentprojects/nidtable/5-10-08pics052Medium.jpg

The pieces:
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Currentprojects/nidtable/5-10-08pics056Medium.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Currentprojects/nidtable/5-10-08pics057Medium.jpg

minefield...
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Currentprojects/nidtable/5-10-08pics055Medium.jpg

continued...

The Inquisitor
22-06-2008, 09:16
and some finishing touches on the bunker...

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Currentprojects/nidtable/5-10-08pics054Medium.jpg

and a pic of my youngest airbrushing at home...

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/Inqzitr/Currentprojects/nidtable/morepics002.jpg

Kasrkin 666
22-06-2008, 22:34
Lol. How CUTE!:p

-Sunny

CAL001
22-06-2008, 23:22
Mate,

Fantastic work accross the board. Is there anything that you cant paint to a showcase standard. Oh, and a little envious on the cupboard full of vehicles and figures, I think you have a lifetimes work there to do. Good to see your mini-gamer getting to use the tools too, mine is always there at my side asking questions and nagging me for a go.

Cheers
Aaron