PDA

View Full Version : Flyers in difficult terrain

DeathlessDraich
12-07-2006, 20:32
Flyers have landing restrictions in woods and the rules state possible restrictions in some terrain would have to be mutually agreed. pg 106

Would there be restrictions for a Gyrocopter landing in a marsh?
Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Ganymede
12-07-2006, 21:16
Nope.

Fliers can land in any terrain provided it is not impassable or a forest (or at least anything that is "forest-like" as agreed upon by the players).

T10
12-07-2006, 21:33
Though forests are explicitly handled in the rule, common sense should prevail when dealing with other types of terrain. It is usually best to assume that you cannot land in difficult terrain, not simply due to the difficulty of landing, but for taking off again or staying put.

Ruins and buildings might be as obstructive as forests. Water surfaces are flat, but things tend to sink. And taking off from a marsh might be tough going if you get stuck.

You should always clear it with your opponent to avoid unnecessary surprises.

-T10

DeathlessDraich
15-07-2006, 07:52
Thanks.

Pg 106 "Flyers may not move, land in or take off from within a wood. If they wish to enter a wood, they mus land outside and walk... Note that this applies to any terrain that both players would consider prohibit flying"

Applying this to a marsh, muddy terrain or a fordable stream, would the majority agree to a dice roll, no restrictions (for moving,charging or landing/takeoff) or the same restrictions as a wood?

T10
15-07-2006, 08:38
I would have no problem with them entering (landing in) "wet" terrain, but I would suggest that they would need to use their ground-movement to get out.

-T10

mageith
17-07-2006, 01:16
Thanks.

Pg 106 "Flyers may not move, land in or take off from within a wood. If they wish to enter a wood, they mus land outside and walk... Note that this applies to any terrain that both players would consider prohibit flying"

Applying this to a marsh, muddy terrain or a fordable stream, would the majority agree to a dice roll, no restrictions (for moving,charging or landing/takeoff) or the same restrictions as a wood?
Woods is woods. In our league, jungle is also woods for flyer's purposes.. But other than that the terrains you mention are perfectly legal for flyers.

Personally I don't see why flyer's can't fly in woods. Been there, seen that. But no matter, we don't allow it anyway.

In Lustria the flyers have a lower movement rate: 15 inches for US 1 flyers and 10 inches for bigger flyers. It's not perfectly clear but we interpreted that they could fly in the woods (jungles) in Lustria ("The dense canopies of the Lustrian Jungle...") Lustria book

Mage Ith

mageith
17-07-2006, 01:20
Would there be restrictions for a Gyrocopter landing in a marsh?

Nope. This came up the other day and I was surprised to read that gyros no longer hover as (I think) they did in their earlier book. Still I'd allow it.

DeathlessDraich
17-07-2006, 13:50
Thanks guys.

A unanimous verdict.

Summary:

Flyers e.g. the gyrocopter can land in a marsh and hence can charge into a unit in a marsh without restrictions.

A possible dice roll for taking off to ascertain whether it would be ground movement, according to T10.

T10
17-07-2006, 13:56
I don't think I suggested a die-roll for take-off.

It really is up to the players (or organizing authority) to agree (or decide) upon.

-T10

Griefbringer
17-07-2006, 14:14
I don't see reason why flyers wouldn't be able to take from any terrain that they can land upon (barring quicksand or other extremely "sticky" terrain).

Then again, it is always a good idea to discuss the effects of terrain with your opponent before the game starts.