PDA

View Full Version : New campaign ?

Lord_Sanguinius
15-06-2005, 20:09
does anyone know about any campaigns coming up for 40K? i play warhammer fantasy but i think that GW might be focusing on that a little too much.

Great Harlequin
15-06-2005, 20:11
I think you may find some imformation here. (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4058)
I haven't looked at the thread thoroughly but it looks like the campaign is quite a way off.

Speed
03-07-2005, 15:48
I was looking for this as well, thanks! :)

highmarshaldave
03-07-2005, 21:37
does anyone know about any campaigns coming up for 40K? i play warhammer fantasy but i think that GW might be focusing on that a little too much.

No, they focus Lord of the Mo-Foing Rings a bit much.

Insane Psychopath
03-07-2005, 22:27
There is that jungle campinge (sp) for WFB in the UK.

I was really hope this year to have a another big EoT one, as I miss half of it due to holidays. Any way I mist the first 2-3 week off it, but the rest I enjoyed. It was so cool.

But don't worry I have been asking around & should be getting work in 2week or less about the next 40k battle.

Baggers
04-07-2005, 09:34
There is not a 40k lare campaign this year. There is Lustria but that is not really a campign more a book of new ways to play 40K. There is a LOTR campagin this year. If there is another 40k campaign expect it next year.

Karhedron
04-07-2005, 10:37
Lustria is closer to the Cityfight book they brought out for 40K a few years ago than a campaign like EoT or SoC. I doubt they will do a campaign for 40K for a few years as they are busy revising the older codices. The reason they can do that sort of thing for Fantasy at the moment is that almost every army now has a current Army book (finally doing Wood Elves after 5 years :rolleyes: )

In a year or two they will probably release 7th edition Fantasy and then revise a few of the earlier army books such as Dwarves etc.

EmperorsChamp01
04-07-2005, 11:30
I thought that Tau and the Orks are having/or had a big campagn thats why they are going to redo the Tau codex

Malakai
04-07-2005, 11:51
I've heard that we can't expect a new campaign any time soon. The reason given for this is that it uses up tons of resources to run a world wide campaign like EoT. I wish I could link you a direct qoute but it's been awhile since I read it, however I do know that it was Andy Hoare who stated it. IIRC it was at one of the early GDs.

Malakai

philbrad2
04-07-2005, 12:01
I'm with KARHEDRON as much as I'd like to see another 40K campaign of the scale of EoT I think it'll be a few years more before we see one. EoT's success has been a bit of a double edged sword.

GW don't want to move the timeline on (much) after EoT as it moves them into the 42nd millenium and I think they have a number of issues with expanding outside of the 41st millenium timeframe. Warhammer 41K anyone? EoT also took up a tremendous amount of resource for GW to stage. OK they made money out of sales of new models, but was it enough for all the input into getting the campaign up and running?
GW want to roll back the timeline and explore earlier actions, Badab, Macragge etc... although I don't mind this fighting a campaign on such a basis, it will be pretty futile as event are already set in the background that wouldn't change even if the 'losers' won victory in a physically fought campaign. Could you imagine Nids winning the Battle for Macragge? Think any such historical campaigns will have to be actions GW hasn't covered previously or are not covered in details. We know what happened at Badab - but what about Corinth? Such games allow the background for such actions to be fleshed out.
For those that fought and followed EoT I think GW's lack of progress past this event has been a big let down. EoT was billed as an event where the gamers decide the future of the 40K universe - so GW can then go back and explore other actions. Bit of a raw deal in my estimation.
Even thought the game mechanics of the Armageddon campaign meant a draw was the only real logical outcome, a least a new storyline Orks/BT's came from it. I suspect we'll be seeing more of that in Codex BT's at the end of the year and probably in the Ork codex - whenever it appears :rolleyes: The narrative in armageddon did at least move on the 40K story and altered, even if subtl, events of the 40K universe post Armageddon III. Which is more than can be said for the gaping hole that has been left at the end of EoT.

Here's to the next worldwide 40K campaign whereever and whenever its to be fought. I'll be there.

:chrome:

Vberg
04-07-2005, 12:34
Wasn't there talk of a Mars based campaign heavly involving the Adeptus Mechanicus and the Necrons?

Im sure i heard rumours of an Adeptus Mechanicus list.
Maybe someone more knowledgable than me knows more about this than me.

Couldnt see it working my self, sure an Adeptus Mechanicus list would be nice but it just feels to close to Terra for all the races to get involved. Could you imagine every race in 40k (its only fair all gamers get involved) on Mars? a victory for the anti imperium side would leave GW with some monumental problems as Terra itself would be in clear danger.

marv335
04-07-2005, 12:52
this would be the mythical "the dragon wakes" campain. alleged to have an ad mech list and possibly new necrons and marines.
all revolving around the premise that the machine god is in fact a c'tan called the dragon who is sleeping on mars, who awakes and all hell breaks loose.

can't see it happening myself. too disruptive to the background and with limited chances for other races to take part.

philbrad2
04-07-2005, 13:06
I thought that Tau and the Orks are having/or had a big campagn thats why they are going to redo the Tau codex

New one on me that one, I'd imagine any such campaign would be historically based

Wasn't there talk of a Mars based campaign heavly involving the Adeptus Mechanicus and the Necrons?

This was mentioned at great length post EOT and I spoke to a couple of the Games Dev guys at UK GD 2003 and such a campaign idea was mentioned. But to date any further news/rumour has yet to come to fruition. I think this is on a backburner as an idea. Here's a couple of things that have been going around in my head to do with this ...

Kylie marrying me - sorry wrong thought ! :angel:
Mention of CA lists for Necrons with special Necron Raiding Party rules have been rumoured for a while, possibly will end up in the next Codex: Necrons or a campaign book.
Adeptus Mechanicus rumoured to have explorator force CA list written by Andy Chambers/Graham McNeill prior to Andy departure from GW last year. I think AM's could be a important link in such a campaign background. AM's might find there way into 40K with a CA list, incusion in the Ordo Xenos codex or perhaps even their own codex, or again another candidate for a campaign book force.
The Ordo Xenos codex, what better way to launch a force than with a full blown campaign *thinks of Daemonhunters and EoT*
Chaos were supposed to be involved with Iron Warriors searching for forbidden archeotech on Necron worlds - possible tie in here with the Necron 'contaminated' bionic arm Honsou aquires in DSBS. The IW rumour was mentioned before DSBS was even printed BTW. Remember the other IW book Storm of Iron is also linked with the early stages of EoT background too.
Such a campaign could be set prior to EoT the Necron threat as categorised by the Ordo Xenos has been notified for several hundred years in M41. As to location not just Mars if Necrons are awakening such a campaign could be set across the entire galaxy.

Remember the build up to EoT wasn't done overnight and bits of the background started to filter through from Codex: CSM's... into Codex: Daemonhunters, onto Codex:EoT and finally spilling over into Codex: IG. Over an 12-18mth period these army books helped EoT along. If GW does another campaign on the scale of EoT I'd expect there to a build up in pre and post campaign codices tying into a campaign. If the Necron based campaign came to light then it would certainly involve the Imperium, Eldar/DE and Necrons as a core. With the IW rumour, Chaos get a foot in the door, Tau could be in there and Orks/Nids would probably get a role in there similar to EoT.

Think the whole C'tan/Mars aspect could be, as mentioned, a bit too close to home, after all its established now Chaos is on the march to Terra, Orks are loose everywhere and the new nid codex has the bugs crawling closer to Terra by the day ....

Just a thought and a good pince of specualtion but looking at what has gone on previosuly and rumoured armylistm codices to come out there is a degree of tie in. If I was working on a future worldwide campaign I'd be looking at these mini lines to tie in with as much as possible. With such a line up I'd expect such a campaign to be at least 18th mths away. Pure speculation on my part but you never know ... :D

:chrome:

t-tauri
04-07-2005, 16:24
I'd go along with most of Phil's speculation. I'd also add a couple of bits of my own to fan the fire. Prior to Andy C's departure Tim Huckleberry had stopped development on his fan explorator list as the studio were doing "something". He's since brought that up to date which implies there won't be a studio AM list in the immediate future.

The IA5 book (due 2007) has been speculated as including Adeptus Mechanicus Forgeworld kit, which would mesh nicely with an AM list around then. I'd love an official AM army list to appear, but I'm not holding my breath.

I don't think we'll see the C'tan on Mars idea ever go anywhere as the possible ramifications would destroy the entire Warhammer 40k universe. I can't see GW going down that road unless there was felt to be a need for a root and branch recreation of the 40k game background. When you look at how major shakeups in gameworlds have tended to destroy much of the interest then I can't see GW using the hooks dangling from the Necron codex.

I think that GW will go with historical campaigns like Lustria, Macragge and the like, where there's an excuse for all sides to be involved but there isn't the opportunity for criticism like there was in EoT. Destroying a world we've just heard of doesn't impact the background destroying Cadia does. While it lacks the same level of emotional involvement it removes much of the incessant complaining which followed EoT.

Triceron
04-07-2005, 18:33
With so many races in the 40k universe, why can't there be 2 or more campaigns going on at the same time? Sure Macragge can be the focal point of bringing out the new Marines and Nids, but what about having a mini Tau vs Orks or Eldar vs Chaos campaign going on at the same time?

It just feels as though the pace of all these campaigns are drawn out too long and too far in between. It makes niche players wait until their favoured race is up next in the big campaign, and if not, everyone ends up waiting 4+ years. That's a LONG time! Perhaps I'm just being jaded...

On a seperate note, I remember reading about theories of how the Tau could be under the influence of the C'Tan, and how the ethereals were created/presented to the Tau by the C'Tan as a way to control the race and create an empire. This nefarious plan would be a precursor to the events that lead to the creation of the Necrons, building dependencies on technology and weakening their physical states. It also tied in with O'Shovah and how he discovered the C'Tan/Ethereals plans on Arthas-Moloch, and has become renegade after learning the 'truth'. Very interesting theory.

boogle
04-07-2005, 19:02
the Ichar IV campaign is currently running in the UK, its also an historical one

rkunisch
04-07-2005, 19:13
With so many races in the 40k universe, why can't there be 2 or more campaigns going on at the same time? Sure Macragge can be the focal point of bringing out the new Marines and Nids, but what about having a mini Tau vs Orks or Eldar vs Chaos campaign going on at the same time?

The answer for this is simple: resources. Games Workshop does not have enough resources to support multiple campaigns. It is for them a mayor engagement (new stories, new rules, new minis, articles in WD, organisation and coordination of the actual event to name a few). I think they are mainly doing it to support sales in the Summer season where a lot of people prefer to go out swimming and enjoing the sun. :evilgrin:

Have fun,

Rolf.

liquiddream78
05-07-2005, 21:58
I think a campaign with the Necrons would be great. Even if they were present on Mars they could have a BL book on how the Necrons awoke but lost. So, that way the integrity of the game would be sealed but a campaign can be put in place that can include every race. Therefore all the battles except for Mars would take place and keep the story line moving along.

The only draw back would be if the C'tan decided to say screw this and just wipe out everything, but GW would not do that.

Insane Psychopath
05-07-2005, 22:38
As long as there another EoT. I will be happy... I just wounder when chaos will get to the Emperor Palace tho?????

charlie_c67
06-07-2005, 13:38
No, for obvious reasons. Just like the dragon won't awake/be on Mars nor will the Nids become indestructable or Armageddon be finished anytime soon.

WarbossKurgan
08-07-2005, 08:35
I'm also really feeling the lack of "proper" campaign this year.

I just can't be bothered with LotR and "Conquest of the New World" is about your local gaming group not the online community. Most of my group don't give a stuff about Lizards!

Lets hope that next year sees a real web-campaign. I don't care if it's 40k or WH. I just want something as good as EoT or Storm of Chaos!

f2k
08-07-2005, 08:56
Honestly, I couldn’t care less about campaigns. Nothing good ever came from them – fight, fight, fight, fight, stalemate, nothing happened here…

EoT, to me, was a big let down. The campaign was so tightly controlled that I never really felt that my games had an impact. Also, it seems that both EoT and SoC was all about directing attacks at the right place to force a cascade – it became a matter of abusing the campaign-mechanics rather than just fight…

GW should forget all about campaigns and concentrate on getting the Ork and Eldar codices out instead…

Karhedron
08-07-2005, 09:42
GW should forget all about campaigns and concentrate on getting the Ork and Eldar codices out instead…
Agreed, the only vuaguely good Campaign was the Albion one as it had real (if minor) effects such as the new magic items for the races that did well.

I would like to see GW revise the codices that are in need of it and then maybe bring out some new stiff like Alien Hunters. If there is another campaign it should be some years down the line.

charlie_c67
08-07-2005, 10:16
Lets hope that next year sees a real web-campaign. I don't care if it's 40k or WH. I just want something as good as EoT or Storm of Chaos!

It can't be that hard to set one up within your gaming group. Set up a planet and construct a story to go with it using the armies in your gaming group.

Jeru
08-07-2005, 23:03
40k city fight campaign next year (06) ^^

Grand Warlord
08-07-2005, 23:32
my biggest complaint (as spoken by others before) is that nothing changes... and nothing ever will change.

According to WD an issue or so back they purposely leave it like that so that the people can do with it as they will but they would never actively change anything in the 40 realm.. I understand that killing off an entire army line is nearly impossible to do but they could've done something.. maybe a book with changes to lists and or scenarios assuming you wanted something to happen... i hope this makes sense lol

boogle
09-07-2005, 09:14
the campaign next year may be a refight of the Vogen campiagn (also helps that its the focus of Codex Cityfight)

highmarshaldave
09-07-2005, 20:33
Ahem. . .

SHAZAM!!! Thats right folks, shazam. My decision to collect 4,500 pts of cityfight guard has bee justified in one fell swoop! Thank you Jeru, thank you boogle, thank you Pete Haines (etc. etc.). Hmm, an excuse for a super heavy. A Stormsword methinks. . .

(Happy) Dave out

WarbossKurgan
11-07-2005, 08:55
Cough! Splutter!

Nothing changes? Don't care about campaigns cos nothing good ever came from them?

Strooooth!

I have never had as much wargamey fun as during EoT and SoC! It's not about the end result for me. It's not about the changes to the background. It's about the pure joy of waking up each morning and wanting to go to work (!) just so I can read what has happened and add my next two cents to the story.

I love campaigns. It's the only way to game.

f2k
11-07-2005, 15:51
Hmm, and just what did happen?

Nothing – absolutely nothing…

Armageddon: ravaged by orks before – ravaged by orks now – ravaged by orks tomorrow…

Eye of Terror: Cadia was attacked by Chaos, again – Cadia repulsed chaos, again. Biggest thing was that a prison planet got blown to smithereens by its own inhabitants… Big deal – not…

Albion: Appeared mysteriously – disappeared mysteriously. Only clued as to its existence: a bunch of overpriced magical equipment… (Ok, so some of the items were actually quite good…)

Storm of Chaos: Empire was attacked by Chaos, again – Empire repulsed Chaos, again. Beginning to notice a pattern here…

Philosophical Aun
11-07-2005, 17:00
Well, I feel Historical Campaigns are the way to go!

With so many events only briefly touched upon in the backround, I think dwelving into the myriad conflicts of the 41st millennium would be a great thing to do.

f2k
11-07-2005, 17:12
Only problem with historical campaigns is that the outcome is fixed from the beginning.
Why would Tyranid players participate in a Battle for Macragge campaign? They’ve lost before they even get to roll a single dice…

boogle
11-07-2005, 18:05
thats stupid, the whole point of playing is for fun, that like saying 'whats the point of playing a Cityfight based on Vogen' or 'whats the point of playing as the Germans in Flames of War', the whole poiont of most of the games played are for the fun of it, not to advance the fluff (with the exception of advancing their own fluff)

also f2k, Cadia is now under siege planetside and the main capital has fallen, this has yet to be resolved

also the Orks have been repulsed in the main from Armageddon as Helbrect and Yarrick are chasing Ghazghkull throughout the stars now

Philosophical Aun
11-07-2005, 21:05
Only problem with historical campaigns is that the outcome is fixed from the beginning.

Ah, not quite.

The entire point of playing "historical" gaming is so that you can do what the generals failed to do. Winning the Battle of Britain and launching a successful Operation Sealion as Nazi Germany, in World War II gaming. Crushing the Imperial defenders during the First War of Armageddon. Defeating the Dal'yth defenders during the Damocles Crusade.

Some guy (UK)
11-07-2005, 21:48
Why, just for once, cant the imperium go on the offensive???? Its not too much to ask is it?? People are always saying how the imperium is so big and vast, so they'd easily be able to do some sort of assault on planets or something similar. I hope they do!!!

It is boring when it is just the imperium being attacked over and over again.

C ya, Some Guy (UK)

highmarshaldave
12-07-2005, 10:10
There aint much to go on the offensive against! Although, if mass conscription was to be introduced. . .

LOOK OUT GALAXY!!!

Dave out.

Minister
12-09-2005, 23:05
Am I the only one who remembers the first Ichar IV worldwide campaign and feels that this refight of it is something of a con?

charlie_c67
12-09-2005, 23:22
I don't know. This thread was 2 months ago. I've moved on...

Master Fulgrim
13-09-2005, 03:09
Well, I must say, that i also would favour a nonhistorical campaign.
But i would make it smaller than EoT and keep the "End of the world"-Theme outside.

Just do a nice small campaign in an not so important sector of the Eastern Fringe, because there you would have it all: Orks, Nids, Tau, Imperials of all kind and even Chaos in form of the Alpha Legion, Wordbearers and Iron Warriors.

So you can also have a little progress in the story without changing half of the armybooks, as it wont have such a huge impact like EoT should had have in theory.

Just my 0,02$.

Fulgrim

slaughteredbull
13-09-2005, 10:58
Am I the only one who remembers the first Ichar IV worldwide campaign and feels that this refight of it is something of a con?

Yeah I remember that, and yes the refight is just a con, but...
tying in with the new race thread just like Ichar IV was used to introduce the new and improved Tyranids a campaign to introduce a whole new race or reintroduce a race would be brilliant, as long as its not about the end of the galaxy!

Regarding Tau/Orks that campaign was fought at the same time as EoT as GW knowing that Tau players couldn't logically take part in EoT let them fight Orks and Nids on a seperate smaller map.

Regarding the Necrons on Mars, I've heard this rumour floated about a bit more recently but wouldn't expect anything to come of it unless the Nids and Chaos assault Terra at the same time.

Finally judging by the way Mega Campaigns (i.e. ones that are supposed to bring about a change in fluff) are run I'd bet the farm on there being a 40K campaign this year, just by looking at the past history, 2005 LotR(OK not exactly fluff changing, but Mega), 2004 SoC, 2003 EoT, 2002 Albion Dark Shadows, 2001 Armageddon 3, there is definetly a pattern there just don't expect a fluff changing LotR campaign like ever. :D

Minister
13-09-2005, 11:08
I don't know. This thread was 2 months ago. I've moved on...True, but I have only now read through the smmer events page on the GW site (hit the wrong link) and thought I'd better post my indignation here rather than starting a new thread.

charlie_c67
13-09-2005, 11:22
Follow up to events isn't always GW's forte. They were supposed to be publishing pics and reports from the dark stars weekend I went to in May on-line and/or in WD. Nothing's happened yet!

WLBjork
13-09-2005, 11:34
IIRC, the next IA book is supposed to include rules for re-fighting the Damocles crusade vs the Tau.

As for a mega-campaign, expect one in 3-4 years.

They stated that the reason that they weren't moving the timeline on was that at the moment they don't really have any idea as to where to go. Not only is it easier to go back and flesh out the background on campaigns that have only been hinted at, it is also possible that once they have done so they will come up with a good idea of where they want to move on to.

However, I really hope that the next mega-campaign will involve the Imperium on the offensive.

neko
13-09-2005, 12:59
I agree that it would be good for the universe to move on a bit, and also for the Imperium to get a chance at coming off of the defensive. The Imperium's main problem at present is that it's overextended and facing too many enemies, both internal and external. Whilst the Imperium could easily take down any one of these opponents individually, doing so would leave it's back up to a multitude of other enemies.

One solution to this would be to let the Imperium burn. By having the Imperium finally come apart at the seams, it frees up the individual elements to start fighting much more aggresively, if only because they no longer have as much left to defend. This also adds to the darkness of the universe in my opinion, as members of the former Imperium are now fighting in a torn homeland, quite possibly against former comrades, and the reasons for fighting will be many amongst the various branches of the former Imperium. Do you fight to desperately hold together the old Imperium? Or for a newer, brighter Imperium? Or as one of the many groups trying purely to carve out their own little empire? Or maybe even just to survive?

Of course, such a dark, grim future isn't going to happen for 40k, but it would definately be fun :cool:

firestorm40k
13-09-2005, 14:59
Hello, having read through this thread, I've posted my suggestions for a big 40k Campaign involving Necrons/Ad Mech/C'tan, here:
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11395

Thanks for looking! :)

slaughteredbull
13-09-2005, 16:50
@ Neko, if I thought I could get away with that idea I'd set up a website and run with it, but I don't paticularly fancy a GW style ton of bricks raining down upon me.

athamas
13-09-2005, 19:30
well i thought the next GW campain was going to be a WHFB rise of nagash one... [its about time he came back, and following the time line he is due back in the not to distant future...]

so i think 40 may be put of for some time... unless they do tau vs...

FrAnKtHeFrEaK
13-09-2005, 23:09
I agree that the Imperium should finally begin a new offensive, one of immense size and importance. Possibly have a thought to be long-dead hero or a brand new one come and and rally Space Marines and Imperial Guard into one crusade. I've always thought that it would be cool to bring back a Primarch, but I doubt that they could easily have one come back out of nowhere.

I suppose that now that the Cadian Gate has basically been over run they may want to deal with that next campaign, but I doubt that anyone is interested in another chaos vs imperium campaign.

Jericho
13-09-2005, 23:56
I'm definitely in agreement that some type of Crusade could be done, whether it's based off Mecharius, Sabbat, or any other historical one isn't a huge concern of mine. GW always finds a way to work everybody into the campaign (even if it is just a little side quest thingy like DE vs. Lizardmen in the SoC) and come up with some variant army lists/models for the biggest contenders.

There is a certain appeal to revisiting the glory days of the Imperium, where actual gains are there to be won as opposed to simply drowning the invaders with the blood of your own troops :D And with the appearance of Black Templars, we're gonna be getting a lot more of the ornate, ancient style power armor which is one of the best ways to "date" a conflict visually.

FrAnKtHeFrEaK
14-09-2005, 01:53
I suppose that a historical one would be ok, but I'd prefer a current one that actually effects the current timeline. Having powerful heroes in the picture is all well and good, but in the end it has no real effect.