PDA

View Full Version : Dawn of Spire set made in China?

herjan1987
13-01-2017, 15:35
Just phoned Wayland Games and asking about when will they sell the refurbised Island of Blood set again and they said, that it will be sold in February due to the transporting time, because its made in China.

Can some one who bought the kit confrim that this is the case or not? I would be hesitant to buy, if GW outsourced it to China.

theJ
14-01-2017, 13:49
If so, then it's new to me; the way it usually works, the models are made in merry ol' england, while any "supporting material" is made in China, I.E. manuals, package, etc.
And I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Beppo1234
14-01-2017, 20:48
most of the forgeworld stuff has been made in china (at one point or another), that's why there are so many cheap chinese pirates of FW stuff on feebay

HsojVvad
30-01-2017, 12:35
I believe I read that the plastics are still made in Nottingham, but it's the books that are made in China. So I am guessing GW is waiting for more books to arrive from China that are doing their printing for all or some of their books.

blackcherry
30-01-2017, 15:34
Moved to GW General Discussion due to the topic not being news.

blackcherry

Archibald_TK
31-01-2017, 20:36
Just phoned Wayland Games and asking about when will they sell the refurbised Island of Blood set again and they said, that it will be sold in February due to the transporting time, because its made in China.

Can some one who bought the kit confrim that this is the case or not? I would be hesitant to buy, if GW outsourced it to China.

EDIT- Sorry what I wrote here to answer you is wrong, let this post be a testament to my mistake. Check two posts below if you want to see how I messed up

HsojVvad
31-01-2017, 21:09
It happens that part of GW plastic range actually comes from China. That doesn't mean that the models are permanently produced there, a model may have China as it country of origin one week then UK the next, then China again later and so on... The Tau range enjoys doing that for example if I am to believe our order forms.

I assume it's just due to GW exceeding their production capabilities in the UK and having to compensate on a case by case basis. So some model's origin may depend on when it was produced.

Curious. Does this mean there are two molds, or GW ships the molds back and forth to China then?

Archibald_TK
31-01-2017, 21:57
Curious. Does this mean there are two molds, or GW ships the molds back and forth to China then?
That's a good question, I actually never thought about it until now but you are right it's not like these models would produce themselves without molds. That actually puzzled me enough that I started checking all of my previous order forms and you can scratch what I said about the production shifting from the UK to China.

So to put it simply and check if I did a mistake, I used an easy point of reference that were the IK Codexes (as they have a weird country code) and starting from mid 2016 that column started to be shifted incorrectly when the order forms were updated, and each new updates would shift it again. So when I was seeing range production shifting in and out of the UK it was actually the country codes that were not in front of the correct entry (for example over the months I saw the Tau becoming produced in China then it was the DE in January and it was actually the block of codes that was supposed to face the Chaos Demons/Ad Mech books... yeah don't ask how they organize the armies in these documents).

So yeah, I was wrong. Damn you GW for making me look like a fool! I shall have my revenge!

herjan1987
31-01-2017, 22:26
So yeah, I was wrong. Damn you GW for making me look like a fool! I shall have my revenge!

Archibald Book of Grudges is your friend :)

Also just a quick note, that the distribution of Island of Blood/ Spire of Dawn has been made GW only I guess. Since Wayland has pulled down the product from the order list even thou they where promoting reminders for the item and they where waiting for Re-print. Bad move GW.