PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Kings, with a twist!

Kasrkin
13-07-2006, 23:30
So with 7th Edition on the way, I'm thinking that it would be fun to learn it with a new army. Now Tomb Kings aren't entirely new to me- I played with them some time ago (about up till when Storm of Chaos came along...), but I've been inspired to try out a different style with them.

The idea is to give them an Ancient Greek theme rather than an Egyptian one, and I'm just fishing for ideas on if it would work. Here's the run down;

-No chariots (gasp!).
-At least 50% of my points spent on armoured skeleton spearmen, to represent Hoplites.
-The general always fights on foot with a spear and shield.
-Undead constructs modeled as mythical Greek creatures- 'Cerberus' as a Tomb Scorpion, for example. Ushabti would be Gods such as Hades and Zeus.
-Greek Hoplites didn't use standards, so neither shall I.

What do you think? A good idea, or is an army without any standards doomed? :confused:

gorenut
14-07-2006, 00:36
I think as long as you're amped about it, it'd be a great idea. The only problem I can see is when you start running out of "gas" when constructing this army and then abandon it. It's difficult to stay interested in an army when you limit yourself. Personally to me, chariots is what makes Tomb Kings fun for me (I don't blame them, but I have been tempted because of it).

Oh yea, I don't think the lack of standards will hold you back that much. If it worries you that much, you can come up with some other fluffy representation instead. Some kind of icon or magic that helps them in combat. Ofcourse with all intents and purposes, using the same rules as standards.

gubnutz
14-07-2006, 01:39
I like the idea. I always like to see a heavily themed army. I figure if the army is fun to build and looks good that is great. Of course if it wins that is nice as well.

I would love to see some pics of this.

I too am getting a TK army though it will be all chariots. It is new to me as i have never played undead of any sort.

Keep us posted.
Gub

Stouty
14-07-2006, 02:03
Sounds cool but you can definately give your hoplites standards without losing the theme (you aren't looking for a historic representation) just make sure they are quite small and don't dominate the overall look of the front rank too much. Just make it small with no flag. Just a statue on a stick really. You could even put him at the back to stop it dominating the overall look of it if your opponent are cool with that.

Also, the general rarely went with the hoplites, it was bloody hard work! Sit at the back with the cavalry. Since you can't have cavalry a small unit of chariots would hardly destroy everything. Just keep it simple and plain and give him a spear.

Archers are a go-go

Screaming skull catalpult is good (but you might want to model it just like an old catapault and less like a thing made of bones. Would break away from the standard TK feel a lot).

Giant=colosus at rhodes? or perhaps just a giant bronze hoplite? Or will those make up your ushabati? How should I know!

Me like this idea.

Kasrkin
14-07-2006, 02:42
Thanks for the support guys! I'll probably go with standards then, small ones like you suggest Stouty. Ushabti will probably be statues of gods- I've had a go at something like that before, using the C'Tan and it turned out fairly well. I just need to find a way of painting white marble! A giant could be a giant hoplite (something I was pondering), or perhaps a cyclops...

I'm fine with the heavy and light cavalry. Greek cavalry was crap anyway, and I always enjoy a challenge! Chariots I'm not sure about, perhaps one or two for heroes, but definately no units of them.

I'll probably start up a thread in the project logs forum soon, but in the meantime here's a shot of a test model hoplite, complete aside from his base. This is how most of the unit will look- not all of them with helmets (because I don't have enough!), but all with the shields bearing a unique design.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v737/kasrkin_rhodes/DSCF0390.jpg

Alathir
14-07-2006, 05:07
Haha that soldier looks awesome. Great stuff

Dwarf pound for pound
14-07-2006, 06:55
nice, but why No chariots......quite a predicament if you run into a shooty army, the Greeks had a small chariot division but they were destroyed

Stouty
14-07-2006, 12:20
Very nice! Where did the helmets come from?

There are a few historic miniature companies like the Foundary that probably have a nice and cheap selection of helmets to use. Might want to check that out since the ehmet and shield are, to me at least, the defining visual feature of a hoplite.

Morph
14-07-2006, 12:40
That's a pretty cool looking skeleton.

I wouldn't worry about all these people telling you to take chariots. I chucked them from my army long ago for being pretty pants. On the other hand I use cavalry/carrion as you do need fast things.

I would suggest you actually use standards, they're fairly invaluable. Did the Hoplites not have anything you can use as an equivalent (I'm not big on my ancient Greek history)? Some sort of icon of a god?

Varath- Lord Impaler
14-07-2006, 12:52
When are you planning on setting these greeks?

The time period would be very important to army composition.

A couple of ideas though

Liche Priest- Oracle of Delphi
Bone Giant- a titan?
if you wanted you could make a tomb King into Hercules
Use Dogs of war rules to get Pikemen if you want a more 'Alexander'ish feel. as Alaxanders Pikes were much longer than the standard Greek one.