PDA

View Full Version : Peta asks Games-Workshop to ban fur!

Zechs Merquise
30-01-2017, 11:12
http://www.peta.org.uk/media/news-releases/peta-asks-games-workshop-ban-fur-warhammer-characters/

Just saw this mentioned on Dakka...

Does anyone think GW will take any any notice....Im not a fan of the Wolves of Russ anyway...

Lupe
30-01-2017, 12:42
I certainly hope this little idea gets shut down fast.

While I disagree with PETA's point of view here, I'm actually curious as to decision flow that led to Games Workshop, of all companies, to be targeted.

I'm only guessing here, but did mankind finally run out of companies abusing actual, real-life animals already?

Casper Hawser
30-01-2017, 12:44
Personally I'm against the fur trade but I don't think a model with a fur cloak would influence people to buy fur clothes.
I think PETA would be better off putting their resources elsewhere than complaining about the asthetic of plastic models.
Great that Warseer is back.

toonboy78
30-01-2017, 14:12
no mention of the models wearing flayed human skin, or wielding WMDs ...... so that is ok then

Malagor
30-01-2017, 17:06
Someone better not mention Skorne from Warmahordes to them, they might get a stroke :p

HsojVvad
30-01-2017, 18:20
Wait a second. We can pillage, murder, kill, kill sisters of battle for their blood and play with soldiers that are worse than nazis but as long as they don't wear animal products it's ok?

Lord Damocles
30-01-2017, 18:24
From the mighty Leman Russ and Horus Lupercal to Chaos Warriors and the Sisters of Silence, Warhammer features an abundance of characters who wear what appear to be animal pelts, which just doesn’t add up.
How does it not add up?

Leman Russ is the Primarch of the Space Wolves - who are essentially Vikings in spaaace! - and Vikings have traditionally been depicted (and in reality did) wear furs.

Also, if they 'appear to be animal pelts', then they might not be wearing fur? The Sisters of Silence might be wearing faux fur.

The grimdark, battle-hardened warriors are known for their martial prowess – but wearing the skins of dead animals doesn’t take any skill.
Nor does wearing trousers. Point?

Indeed, nothing on the bloody battlefields of Warhammer’s conflict-ravaged universe could match the terrible reality that foxes, minks, rabbits, and other living beings experience at the hands of the fur trade. Those killed for their fur typically first endure a bleak life inside a tiny, filthy wire cage before being electrocuted, drowned, or even skinned alive. Or they may be in the wild, minding their own business, when they get caught in a horrific bone-crushing steel-jaw trap – often languishing for days before eventually dying from starvation, dehydration, or blood loss.
I'm sure that's terrible and all, but... y'know... daemons which will tear their way into reality through an unsuspecting nearby psyker's brain, then skin you alive and suck your soul into a hell dimension to be tortured for eternity.

Just sayin'.

PETA has written to Games Workshop CEO Kevin Rountree asking that the leading British miniature war-gaming brand ban “fur” garments from all Warhammer characters. While we appreciate that they are fictional, draping them in what looks like a replica of a dead animal sends the message that wearing fur is acceptable – when, in fact, it has no more place in 2017 than it would in the year 40,000.
Yeah, sure. I see a Space Wolf and think to myself, 'Gee whiz, I'm gonna go buy myself a sweet wolf pelt'. Then I see this guy (https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Haemonculus-2014) and think, 'Welp, time to go skin half a dozen children to make a raincoat'.

In other news, check out this guy (http://www.ncregister.com/images/editorial/johntb.jpg), PETA! I bet he's just eyeing up that lamb for a pair of slippers. You'd best get onto the Pope about it.

WLBjork
30-01-2017, 19:07
So, not content with their crusade to kill every animal on the planet, PETA now want to kill of fake animals as well?

Words fail me.

ToXin
30-01-2017, 21:24
Think of it in a different way...

It's not necessarily about GW or the models themselves, but a target audience.

Pretty smart idea if you had a political intent to expose a new "audience" to the goals of the organisation. How many kids and not so young kids can they get to have a look at a page that also contains images and videos that would otherwise not be seen by those individuals - use the internet by creating click-bait.

And then how many of those 1000's, 10,000's, 100,000's may then click on something or read something they may then think about a bit more...

now does that seem like a viable agenda?

Lupe
30-01-2017, 22:26
Those killed for their fur typically first endure a bleak life inside a tiny, filthy wire cage before being electrocuted, drowned, or even skinned alive. Or they may be in the wild, minding their own business, when they get caught in a horrific bone-crushing steel-jaw trap – often languishing for days before eventually dying from starvation, dehydration, or blood loss.

I think that's the biggest hypocrisy of the whole statement.

For some reason, PETA decided to do the research on 40K and press this unexpected initiative on GW. Well, the initiative is somewhat based on flawed premises. I mean, this is 40K. Those furs put up a hell of a fight, and they probably stand better odds than any beast currently in the wilds on M3 Terra.

But, leaving aside that concern. What baffles me - genuinely baffles me - over this whole idea, is why PETA somehow thinks it can claim the moral high ground over GW.
GW built their whole reputation on marketing cool but morally grey merchandise in the first place. Will enforcing a ban on furs targeted at GW's target audience - that's us, in case any of you missed it, by the way - really pay off? I mean, I don't know about you people, but the list of reasons why I'm into GW's stuff can be worded to include, in no particular order, the following:
- rampant xenophobia
- justified extremist beliefs
- planetary or even star-system wide genocide
- travelling through the galaxy's literal hell
- enslaving literal demons into eternal servitude as fuel for magic weapons
- SUMMONING hordes of literal demons to serve your goals - which range from downright evil to sadly idealistic
- over the top gore and violence at every possible opportunity

Now, I know it's not as simple as that, and that most of the appeal of GW's intellectual propriety holds over me actually is due to the nuanced, shades of gray way these topics are presented, but the point stand. I *KNOW* where I stand on every one of those topics, and that stance happens to be one of amused entertainment. But the point still stands that, as a Warhammer 40K fan, my position on what I think is cool is pretty much set in stone already. It was set in stone way before I ever stumbled onto GW's lore. GW didn't form that opinion, it just capitalized on it.

From my perspective, it looks to me like PETA's angry at the fire hydrants for the pungent smell of dog urine in their neighborhood, that's all I'm saying...

Lord Damocles
30-01-2017, 22:34
now does that seem like a viable agenda?
Not really.

Even assuming that any serious number of potentially-fur-wearing GW customers will make their way to the PETA site, how many of those that do are more likely to view PETA negatively due to their apparent focus on trivial non-problems like plastic toy soldiers wearing maybe-fur?

Lupe
30-01-2017, 22:59
Even assuming that any serious number of potentially-fur-wearing GW customers will make their way to the PETA site, how many of those that do are more likely to view PETA negatively due to their apparent focus on trivial non-problems like plastic toy soldiers wearing maybe-fur?

Quite. Focusing on non-problems is a nice summary. But i guess I need to be fair minded about this

I can agree with the concept of stamping out a potential method of advertising an unpopular idea before it gains popularity.

But that's kind of the thing you want to do *AFTER* you made sure the idea isn't popular in the first place.

And, even under that provision, you might want to make sure the advertising method you're trying to stop is:
A) trying advertise the idea you're trying to stop in the first place
B) actually advertising that idea regardless of what it's advertising

There's probably a C) and D) bullets to the "bad idea" list in there, somewhere, too, but these actually only come into effect assuming the first two points are met, so let's leave them aside for now

The Black Shield
31-01-2017, 00:16
I wonder how many bit manufacturers will be selling out of fur cloaks and pelts?

Hellebore
31-01-2017, 02:23
all seeing fur clad miniatures will do to me, is give me an irrational desire to make a cloak out of 28mm scaled plastic furs.

Skinning tiny plastic animals is ok and collecting enough to make a coat is now highly desirable to me.

Kakapo42
31-01-2017, 08:15
I know I want a return to the days when Space Wolf models were just normal Space Marines with the occasional tiny wolf-related artefact here and there but this is ridiculous.

I think my personal favourite moment was when they thought that the types of characters in GW's games who actually wear fur cloaks are in any way taken as serious role models.

Besides, there are far worse elements in the modern Space Wolves range (like hellfrost weapons. I mean what is this, Batman and Robin? What's next, a Chaos credit card?).

Shards of Basalt
31-01-2017, 14:05
Those killed for their fur typically first endure a bleak life inside a tiny, filthy wire cage before being electrocuted, drowned, or even skinned alive. Or they may be in the wild, minding their own business, when they get caught in a horrific bone-crushing steel-jaw trap – often languishing for days before eventually dying from starvation, dehydration, or blood loss. This is more likely to inspire Games Workshop than anything.

Galadrin
31-01-2017, 16:30
I'm with PETA, save the Fenrisian Wolf! I mean they don't even technically exist, so that makes the MORE than endangered! Every time a plastic mold casts another sprue, another Fenrisian Wolf is lost forever!

Malagor
02-02-2017, 15:01
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/environment/warhammer-demonic-entity-apologises-for-wearing-fur-20170201121338

LotusWarrior
03-02-2017, 00:24
Got my trolling in and thank the gods the mods approved it!

Look for 'Kharn' as a commenter on the original post (http://www.peta.org.uk/blog/peta-warhammer-fur-free/) and enjoy a little tale. It sums up my thoughts on the matter

Malagor
03-02-2017, 00:51
Not bad, a few spelling errors but nice :)

Lupe
03-02-2017, 03:15
Not bad, a few spelling errors but nice :)

Well, come on, Malagor, let's be fair to the author.

It's hard to avoid typos when you're trying to decide between manically laughing at the mind numbing, photons-slowing denseness off the whole idea, despair caused by your rapidly diminishing faith in mankind or pity for whatever unfortunate series of traumatic experience caused PETA to give up on fighting for their cause in the real life in the first place.

tcmainprize
04-02-2017, 16:41
Cheered me up no end reading through the comments on the original post on PETA's website....

In particular....

"The real problem is the mass slaughter of innocent teddy bears so their pelts can be used for tatched roofs on wargaming scenery houses…"

I'm off to buy a fur cloak or two as obviously I've bowed to peer pressure from my Nurgle chaos warriors.

Tyberos
04-02-2017, 17:21
Can't say I'm surprised at this move from the whacko's at PETA. I'm sure they mean well, but they are certainly barking up the wrong tree by approaching Games Workshop.

StygianBeach
07-02-2017, 09:56
It is so crazy I can't bring myself to believe it, but it is there on PETA's own website.

Fictional characters are wearing fictional fur, where is the problem?

Bloodknight
07-02-2017, 10:12
Reaper's reaction is hilarious:

https://www.reapermini.com/

With all the kerfluffle going on regarding fur on miniatures, we here at Reaper Miniatures would like to issue a brief statement regarding this deeply troubling issue.

We take this matter very seriously. We love our animal friends very much. This is why we have never, ever sculpted real fur onto any of our models. All fur depicted on any Reaper miniature is 100% synthetic "faux" fur. Any other type of fur depictions would just be irresponsible and unethical.

In the same vein, none of the leather textures on our models should be construed as leather, rather they should be interpreted as Naugahyde, or simply pleather. Nor should any flesh be considered flesh, but Soylent Green.

Again, we appreciate your time and thank you for your support.

Horace35
07-02-2017, 13:09
Reaper's reaction is hilarious:

https://www.reapermini.com/

Hah, most amusing. I wonder if PETA are regretting this, they are being made to look ridiculous & amateurish

Wulfhund
08-02-2017, 18:51
While I am against fur, PETA is just ridiculous and are nothing but a for-profit group. Can't stand them. There are real animal abuse violations occurring around the world and this is what they make a stink about...so absurd.

Lord Damocles
08-02-2017, 19:44
It's just a prank, bro!
http://www.peta.org.uk/blog/peta-warhammer-40000-cant-serious/

Sure. We all believe you. Why would we possibly not..?

Necrontyr
08-02-2017, 19:49
GW's response: https://regimental-standard.com/2017/02/08/fur-the-emperor/

The National Elf Service
12-02-2017, 12:33
I genuinely thought this was fake for ages, now though, I'm not too sure. Still, GW have got a lot of free publicity out of it so... :D

ToXin
15-02-2017, 21:32
Not really.

Care to rethink that, perhaps...

Since you then go on to later not only quote but post a link; to save you the trouble, I'll pick out the bits that my original comment is thus validated by:

"For the cost of a postage stamp, our website has received record traffic..."

Followed by pretty much what I said as well:

" – and the people who were prompted to visit our site by this story can’t have missed the prominently featured eyewitness footage showing that animals in real life are electrocuted, drowned, and sometimes even skinned alive for their fur."

and there we go:

" we’ve managed to get nearly a quarter of a million people (and counting!) to visit PETA.org.uk in the days since we sent our letter...."

No, really....?

Lord Damocles
15-02-2017, 22:09
Care to rethink that, perhaps...
Not really.

See the second sentence of my previous post.