PDA

View Full Version : AoS state of game

DevonMeep
19-02-2017, 20:32
Hey everyone. I loved the models and new factions that happened in Age of Sigmar but pretty much tuned out after there was no points system. With the generals handbook they were supposed to have made a balancing system for game, how did it turn out? So how's it work now, when new models and warscrolls are released they get point now? Or is it only the things that were in the generals handbook? Thank you in advance for your input guys.

Sotek
19-02-2017, 20:55
Seems balanced enough on paper, although I'm by no means an expert. I'm sure like all games/GW games there's ways to exploit /abuse points to create unfluffy WAAC armies.

Folomo
21-02-2017, 18:24
The points give you a rough estimation on the power of different forces, but from what a lot of players say the balance of the GHB is all over the place. The difference between new and legacy army tend to be the most notorious. There is some hope that GHB2 may improve things, but so far no proof of this.

As in all GW games, which tend to be poorly written and balanced, the most important aspect is finding other people that have the same mindset on what you expect of the game to prevent bad experiences.

Bingo the Fun Monkey
21-02-2017, 21:45
Looking at the new Vanguard infantry, I'm wondering when they're going to finally remove the bow components from the hand bolt casters and just give them straight up bolters.

toonboy78
22-02-2017, 09:58
the most important aspect is finding other people that have the same mindset on what you expect of the game to prevent bad experiences.

so so true.

Player A: i want to have a full on tournament game, no holds barred
Player B: i want to use my new model that i painted with the rest of my themed cinematic army

having points is not going to balance the game and make the players happy

Splen
22-02-2017, 19:16
It's good.

Tarrell
23-02-2017, 03:27
AoS only appeals to a small minority, the Lore and rules alienated most of the Warhammer fan base.
Most Warhammer fans divided into; 9th Age play groups, Warhammer Total War, Silver tower, 40k, still play 8th (before End times), or simply collect. Though less and less people collect now as the prices have ballooned into the rich market.

jtrowell
23-02-2017, 09:10
Many have also gone to Kings of War, for me the game is what I had always hoped Warhammer to be, and the game has enough options to fit all existing Warhammer armies.

With the game being much more balanced that Warhammer ever was, I find myself using a *larger* part of my collection when preparing an army, as there are no truly useless unit (a few might be slightly overcosted, but not by so much that you cannot make a decent competitive army with them if you want).

I won't gor further, this is a GW forum after all, but if you have questions about KoW don't hesitate to post on the KoW warseer subforums, or on Mantic own official forums (the fact that those exists is a big reason why other KoW forums tend to be less active)

New_guy
23-02-2017, 10:13
I am a 40k player all around. Tried AoS yesterday, to be honest... dident like it. We played a 1000p game, and after turn 3 everything was in combat and it was a mess.
I can see why people like and even love the game, but I wouldent give it my full love.
And as people said above, there is either tournament lvl, or hobby and fun, lvl players. Playing a fun and fluffy army vs a tournament lvl one is not fun.

Rogue Star
23-02-2017, 11:50
With the generals handbook they were supposed to have made a balancing system for game, how did it turn out? So how's it work now, when new models and warscrolls are released they get point now? Or is it only the things that were in the generals handbook? Thank you in advance for your input guys.

Pretty balanced. Certainly a better state than 40K is currently in by far (Iron Hands Chapter Master in Cataphracti Terminator Armour with Chains of the Gorgon... or Eldar armies of nothing but scatter-laser armed jetbikes, so on).

Points are now included in the Battletomes since Disciples of Tzeentch. If a new unit for a faction is released post Battletome, it's either in the General's Handbook or up on GW facebook page, etc. Frankly I wish they'd just put the points on a unit's warscroll, since they're freely available anyway.

Vazalaar
23-02-2017, 21:48
Our small group still plays 8th, we were planning to start with 9th Age, but in the end we decided for various reasons not to do so. Next tuesday we will try our first AoS game. Hopefully we have a great time, as the latest AoS mini's look imo fantastic.

Buddy Bear
01-03-2017, 08:12
Many have also gone to Kings of War, for me the game is what I had always hoped Warhammer to be, and the game has enough options to fit all existing Warhammer armies.

With the game being much more balanced that Warhammer ever was, I find myself using a *larger* part of my collection when preparing an army, as there are no truly useless unit (a few might be slightly overcosted, but not by so much that you cannot make a decent competitive army with them if you want).

I won't gor further, this is a GW forum after all, but if you have questions about KoW don't hesitate to post on the KoW warseer subforums, or on Mantic own official forums (the fact that those exists is a big reason why other KoW forums tend to be less active)

That's what's happened in my local meta. AOS has almost entirely vanished while Kings of War is blowing up in a big way. We're going to do a tournament and an Escalation League shortly.

vlad78
02-03-2017, 06:00
That's what's happened in my local meta. AOS has almost entirely vanished while Kings of War is blowing up in a big way. We're going to do a tournament and an Escalation League shortly.

Funny how the community has been divided.
My club really liked KOW but after they went to the french ETC against maximum hardcore competitive lists, they quietly went back to 9th. AOS is still in the no go zone.

MOMUS
09-03-2017, 20:26
AoS is far from balanced, thoroughly looking forward to GHB2 as certain units are so badly costed that they have become a stain on the gaming tables locally and at tournaments. (kurnoth,stormfriends,sayl,stonehorn,etc)
It's a little grating knowing your opponent is packing 6+ units knowingly under pointed, even more grating when you know the updated points are just around the corner and trice grating when said opponent has no skill to accompany said OP units.

My main gripes with the game are:
1. Few units are capable of becoming more than the sum of their parts, by this I mean in 8th a unit of 10 dudes was for all intents worthless (points), but they had many uses. Flanking, redirecting, fleeing, controlling board space, bunker, etc etc. You could dream up options from the rules, you could checkmate with ten dudes. Now you have ten shmucks who fall over when they get looked at and then the rest run off at the end of the turn, if you want cool options/rules you have to buy the cool models. Whereas before the rules were a detailed list of somewhat complex and abstract interactions, now the models are (quite literally) the rules. Cool models = cool rules. the humble footslogger is long gone, replaced by captain cheese and his 3 units of uber elites.

2. You always get something for nothing, previous editions ran on an unwritten rule of risk and reward. You want to do something, you have to play for it, or risk something for it. AoS throws that out the window, abilities/spells/turn decision/command traits are all gifted to the player for nothing. They can always have the cake and eat it, the more AWESOME the character the more they get for free. Spells, command ability AND special rule just for fun, I remember when you actually had to make a decision yourself.

Charistoph
15-03-2017, 08:25
My local LGS started a growth league at the beginning of the year. It seems to be going well, but I haven't been around the last couple weeks to know.

We also have SkavenInAZ running 9th Age games around here as well. Not exactly AoS, but definitely a reason to not toss out the models, either.

Bloodknight
15-03-2017, 08:49
It's a little grating knowing your opponent is packing 6+ units knowingly under pointed, even more grating when you know the updated points are just around the corner and trice grating when said opponent has no skill to accompany said OP units.

To be honest, exactly that made me skeptical about introducing points to the game. It's the same as it used to be. People expect balance in a game with 20ish factions, and that is a fools errand; not even games with 3 factions and millions of games worth of data by a company with a revenue in the billions are perfectly balanced; it can't be done, if nothing else, shifting metas will kill the effort. Game balance is always a work in progress. I think the scenario-driven aspect of the pre-GHB-AoS was actually better, but gamers being gamers they're sadly often not mature about it.
But the points are back and the company seems to be committed to work on that and revise them, so I hope we'll see something "closer to the truth" with GHB2.

MOMUS
23-03-2017, 21:57
It 'feels' like the balance is worse TBH. Point before had an extra levels of definition 279points before, now 150 or 200.
The current system is arbitrary at best only a step above the independent comps (clash/SCGT) that was installed to stop the game falling over.

The main thing that will happen with GHB2 is eBay being flooded with kurnoth hunters.