PDA

View Full Version : How AoS books might influence new 40k codices

Herkamer63
01-03-2017, 19:10
I know it sounds like I'm spinning my wheels here, but I promise this will have differences. Anyway, I've finally dusted off my Ogor army that I was going to use for WFB before it evolved into AoS, and will be using it very soon for the newer game. I picked up both a physical copy of the Genereal's Handbook and the Destruction book. From what I read, I really like the system because it makes a clear difference between 40k and itself. I could go over what I'm doing for my Ogors (let's say not a whole ton but cool, IMO), but that's a separate discussion. Now, onto the main event on what I've taken away from these books, and others I briefly looked at while I was at the store I go to, and what to expect for 40k codices.

First off, the Grand Alliance books will more than likely be the influence for future 40k codices. It's easy to say the General's Handbook actually would be, but that would be a mistake to assume because it's purpose is to show the different ways to play the game at hand from open play to matched play. It has the benefits of each Alliance, but I bet what will happen in 40k is they will include those the buffs in each codex, instead of just having them inside a General's Handbook of some sort. For example (and I will bring this back a little later), let's say Codex Adeptus Astartes, with all of it's armies inside one book, will have a universal benefits for all of the armies, so a set of warlord traits, special rules, and relics. Along with it, all the units and and rules for them. Restrictions and pieces of wargear for each army would still apply, but if you're looking at playing directly out of that book, you can. I doubt, although I could be wrong, we will see Ad Mech , AM, etc, in the same codex.

The next thing would be the individual armies in each codex will still have individual army books. So using AA as the example again, let's say we want to play SW, but wanted more of a fluff based army, I would get the SW book, which would be more of a glorified codex supple, like Beastclaw Raiders from AoS. Their own formations, special rules, relic wargear, and background would all be in there, at a cheaper price. People say they would rather be done with individual codices altogether, but honestly, it's better this way. If all you wanted was the army you like in the codex, like SW, then go with the book that has all their rules.

A nice little feature are the cards that were released with Stormcast Eternals. $25 and you can pull out all the units' cards you're using that applies to your list. The best thing is that it has rules and stats that you need, so instead pulling out the book trying to find it, whip one of those out and, boom, there it is. I hope that becomes a trend in AoS and floods into 40k. As helpful as the psychic power cards are, having the information, especially if some of the scenarios survive through 8th ed, is just as, or much more, valuable. For tournaments, in case if someone has a question on a squad for whatever the reason, having a visual aid of the unit itself, other than army builder, battlescribe, or handwritten/typed up on a blank (and I mean BLANK) piece of paper with hardly ANY info (I HATE THAT WITH A PASSION), is far more helpful than reading a bunch of info cobbled together. So we'll see if it continues.

The last thing on codices I have is this: We could expect quick sheets on the back of them. Not only the Battletomes but almost all AoS books have the rules on how to play the game in the very back. With 40k, I expect all the "to-hits", "to-wounds", and "to penetrates" to stay along with the necessary charts for those categories, so WS, BS, S, T, I, A, Ld, Sv, and APs are probably gonna stay. With that said, all that stuff, and whatever else can be put in there, will be on the back of each codex, along with the different phases of each turn. For the beginner, casual, and veteran, players, this'll also be a very helpful tool. AoS is much simpler than 40k, so it's not as big of a deal to look at the rules every 5 min, but it's a nice feature just in case you forget something, and you don't have it on your phone, or whatever. With 40k, it would be so nice to have that there and now if you didn't bring your rule book.

With all this said, I still contend 40k won't change that much. The game will still be played the same with all the same phases, armies, and core rules as before. I wouldn't expect any radical changes that a lot of crazy people would want you to believe (but stranger things have happened). The codices, however, is where the changes need to be made, along with balancing them out. AoS was a good experiment, and I would say, regardless of what pessimists say, is successful. Hopefully, some of that rubs off on 40k.

Rogue Star
04-03-2017, 22:44
The last thing on codices I have is this: We could expect quick sheets on the back of them. Not only the Battletomes but almost all AoS books have the rules on how to play the game in the very back. With 40k, I expect all the "to-hits", "to-wounds", and "to penetrates" to stay along with the necessary charts for those categories, so WS, BS, S, T, I, A, Ld, Sv, and APs are probably gonna stay.

Personally, I hope they are removed in the sense that like AoS, the To Hit and To Wound rolls are integrated into the weapons stats. I feel the need for a Space Marine to have a separate statistic to show what he needs to roll to hit a target with, is a leftover of the rogue Trader/WH40K 2nd edition, where a model could be armed with literally everything and everyone shared wargear; Ork Boyz were armed with Boltguns, Space Marines could have graviton-beamers, Space Marine Scouts with Shuriken Catapults, etc.

Voss
06-03-2017, 02:59
I honestly don't see how they could deliver the changes you're asking for and keep the stats and mechanics as is.

Something like what Rogue mentions has to be in the cards if you want the complete pile of information at a glance, and with the current mechanics I'd argue it isn't even in the realm of possibility.
Personally, it would be nice not to have every single attack require a minimum of three separate dice rolls to resolve.

Rogue Star
08-03-2017, 09:57
Something like what Rogue mentions has to be in the cards if you want the complete pile of information at a glance, and with the current mechanics I'd argue it isn't even in the realm of possibility.

Worth pointing out, I'm not saying WH40K should just adopt AoS's rules, but rather the design philosophy of making each unit a self-contained thing (i.e, not need to reference any other charts or wargear section to see what a Boltgun can do, or a plasmagun, etc), with its own special rules if needed (not something like ATSKNF, that would remain an army wide trait for anything with the "Adeptus Astartes" keyword or something, but Combat Doctrines) and independent characters providing punch and buffs, rather than the current method where a tactical squad feels like ablative wounds for the attached Space Marine Captain.