PDA

View Full Version : Bretonnian 2000 - Errantry

stonefox
14-07-2006, 07:20
Hi all. I've been trying to get a good core list together that offers the same mobility and concentration of power afforded by my 40k Tau and (short-lived) Eldar armies. It's actually one of my first lists and the army is still being built but looking through various forums and opinions of good core troops (haha, knights) yielded this:

Bretonnian Lord - 249
Silver Lance
Virtue of Discipline
Royal Pegasus
(shield, lance, knightly vow)

-Wanted a knight that can auto-hit and can help a unit of knights to hold their line. I've heard that Brets have a hard time with monsters so an anti-monster version (2+ to hit, killing blow virtue, cuirass fortune?) might be used instead.

Paladin Standard Bearer - 212
Virtue of Duty
Banner of the Lady
Warhorse
Questing vow

-Wanted to get the best out of the second-in-command here. Wanted a nice line-breaker to be used with a group of knights.

Damsel - 130
Warhorse
Dispel Scroll x2

- Wanted a mounted damsel that retains mobility. I'm not that interested in spells right now but might in the future. However, other armies will have magic so I need something to help cancel important spells until my knights get the charge on the offending wizard.

Knights Errant - 141
Knights x6
Errantry Banner
Full Command

- The bulk of the army. I might be underestimating the ease of impetuous tests but the BSB should be in the front lines anyway. The free errantry banner and the +1S from it is appealing to me.

Knights Errant - 141
Same

Knights Errant - 141
Same

Knights Errant - 141
Same

Knights Errant - 141
Same

Pegasi Knights - 165
Knights x3

Pegasi Knights - 165
Knights x3

Pegasi Knights - 165
Knights x3

Pegasi Knights - 165
Knights x3

- Mobility, mobility, mobility. I'd imagine the flyer rules give excessive freedom of movement to the list which is what drew me to the mobile firepower of the Tau and Eldar anyway.

I'm still tinkering with the specifics and have units of men-at-arms x20 and bowmen x12 as well, but their lack of mobile firepower (the lack of cavalry archers except for mounted yeomen angers me! No samurai!) would probably annoy me. I'd like opinions on its effectiveness. I know it'll take me a while to learn warhammer-based mobility but coming from a highly-mobile Tau/Eldar background I'd reckon I'll learn it quickly.

devolutionary
14-07-2006, 07:27
ummm fairly standard RAF with a horde of cavalry support and a scroll caddy. It'll work, if that's what you wanted to know. It is a seriously hated list by many opponents though. The use of maxed out Pegasi Knights is rather frowned about.

bloody_pirate
14-07-2006, 10:04
Aye, it looks good. it really looks good. It is standard errantry war list. I think that that one works.

Dspankdo
14-07-2006, 10:45
It works, but i played against a list like this the other day with gobbos and i think that your gonna have problems against horde armys like goblins as they can hold off charges with there numbers and ranks, if you combined a number of the units into single larger units it might be more effective. the simple number of units in horde armys mean that the pegasis knights lose alot of their mobility advantages.

bloody_pirate
14-07-2006, 12:56
It works, but i played against a list like this the other day with gobbos and i think that your gonna have problems against horde armys like goblins as they can hold off charges with there numbers and ranks, if you combined a number of the units into single larger units it might be more effective. the simple number of units in horde armys mean that the pegasis knights lose alot of their mobility advantages.

You're right... the knight units size could be nine, that's just right size for "lance". Striking Questing knigt units could be really effective... yet... They are "lesser striking" in 7th edition, thanks for the new great weapon rule.

stonefox
14-07-2006, 17:44
Haha, thanks. Guess I reinvented the wheel with this one. Yeah, I've heard of the RAF list but thought that one had bare-minimum troops and maxed-out pegasi groups? I like smaller groups because it's already damn hard trying to model three pegasi so their bases would line up. I can't imagine 6 or, utter horror, 9 of them.

Yeah, I guess the biggest thing I'll have to learn is mobility and charge control. I might have even underestimated the impetuous knights. However, what I'd hope to do against horde armies is pegasi crowd control (march block?) while focusing knights on 2-3 units at a time. With the paladin and the lord offering anti-rank CR help, and with first-strike on charge, I'd figure they'd charge nicely even from the front.

I'm guessing pegasi are also what I'd need against warmachines? And am I right in also assuming the pegasi and one or two lances of knights will be needed to help assassinate offensive casters?

Yes, I haven't actually played a single game yet but having re-read and memorized most of the rules (haha, I'm a 40k rules technician too), as well as general tactics gleaned from a historical or two and 40k, I'll hopefully only take a quarter of a year to get used to this army.

Thanks again for the input.

bloody_pirate
17-07-2006, 10:09
Haha, thanks. Guess I reinvented the wheel with this one. Yeah, I've heard of the RAF list but thought that one had bare-minimum troops and maxed-out pegasi groups? I like smaller groups because it's already damn hard trying to model three pegasi so their bases would line up. I can't imagine 6 or, utter horror, 9 of them.

Yeah, I guess the biggest thing I'll have to learn is mobility and charge control. I might have even underestimated the impetuous knights. However, what I'd hope to do against horde armies is pegasi crowd control (march block?) while focusing knights on 2-3 units at a time. With the paladin and the lord offering anti-rank CR help, and with first-strike on charge, I'd figure they'd charge nicely even from the front.

I'm guessing pegasi are also what I'd need against warmachines? And am I right in also assuming the pegasi and one or two lances of knights will be needed to help assassinate offensive casters?

Yes, I haven't actually played a single game yet but having re-read and memorized most of the rules (haha, I'm a 40k rules technician too), as well as general tactics gleaned from a historical or two and 40k, I'll hopefully only take a quarter of a year to get used to this army.

Thanks again for the input.

Think about it, did you really think that i'm going to put nie pegasus knights to the list. I meant knights errant. three size pegasus gorups, and one or two 9 size group of knights errant.

druchii
18-07-2006, 09:39
Hey there,

I also run an errantry war list.

I love your list, but there are a few things I think you should change around. Mainly make your KE units nine strong! That's the perfect size for the "bus" formation, and it works exceedingly well. The main negative of the formation, is that it offers long flanks, but that shouldn't be a problem, with so many units supporting eachother.

I'd also even reccomend dropping a unit of pegasus knights*gasp!* or somehow finding some points for a unit(or two) of mounted yeomen. These guys are invaluable for deflecting charges, and protecting your furthest flank. I personally use these guys in tandem with a nine man strong Questing Knights to act as a "hammer" unit.

Beyond that, the army looks sound. But have you thought about taking the warbanner on your BSB instead? You could also stack this with the virtue that adds+1 combat res, and get a decent +2 combat res(+BSB bonus!) out of one model. In 7th this should skyrocket to +4 with the "stacking" of banners.

stonefox
19-07-2006, 14:03
Thanks for the advice. The reason I wanted smaller units is because you get the free champion in each squad. Plus, the extra middle guy in the third file won't be getting a hit either.

I was thinking of the Yeomen but don't think I'll go on with it. The rumor is that 7th ed. will no longer have un-march blockable fast cav.

I'll think about that. Sounds pretty nice if the thing stacks. :)

Any advice on what to change around if errantry lists aren't allowed in a certain tournament? Thing is, it's simple enough to just make one KE unit a KOTR unit but you'd also have to give up the free errantry banners and find points for those.

DirtJumper
19-07-2006, 19:14
BTW, ranking up pegassus knights shoulden't be a problem, they are a flying unit and therefore use the rules for skirmishers.