PDA

View Full Version : Forces of Chaos- Traitors

The Hoff
14-07-2006, 09:57
I really liked the new Nurgle Daemon prince model thats coming out with Cities of Death, and I decided that I may try a Lost and the Damned list based around that model (even though that list may not be official for much longer, pity that).

So with that though in mind i decided to try my hand at a few traitor guardsmen.

UPDATE: August 07- This project is back in motion again after a long, long pause. Here is the concept mini for the second squad of troops, using a head from the new empire flagellants.

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/9484/bloodpact1io0.jpg

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/6933/traitors10ys5.jpg

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/2356/traitors2fp.jpg

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/8271/traitors11copydh4.jpg

Critics and comments much welcome.

wally
14-07-2006, 10:02
these guys are awesome

you have to finish them

there *fresher* than mine

they look just like the ones in the eye of terror codex

Eniac
14-07-2006, 10:02
Wow! That agitator is awesome! Unlike the GW studio traitors these guys look like they could actually have turned to chaos yet still retain features of their previous alleigance.

sheep
14-07-2006, 10:06
Mate, i can't wait to see these in person! They look completly diseased and decrepit, just like nurgle should. Maybe you'll actually finish these guys :p

The faces are the stand out for me, loving the look of the guy with the broken jaw.

Did you forget to paint the skull on the base of the agitator? And i think you should dirty the end of the flamer up too.

You'll have to share the recipe for the blood.

Cheers

Sheep

*EDIT stupid spelling*

The Hoff
14-07-2006, 10:17
Cheers gents!

@sheep, whoops...i forgot about the flamer nozzle :), cheers.

The blood is done with Blood Red thinned with a heavy ration of Chesnut Ink.

HPD_Andy
14-07-2006, 10:26
Oooo, they're all gribbly. I like it!

HiredSword.
14-07-2006, 10:48
loving the faces, as someone said before, they really look like some of thr traitor guards shown in the illustrations.

I like how you've not gone mad with the spiky bitz (something i think ruins a lot of good chaos models imo).

AventineCrusader
14-07-2006, 10:55
(even though that list may not be official for much longer, pity that).

OT/
Nah, that list is as good as gold. It has been banned from one tounament, in one country. And frankly I don't know what I would do to someone if they told me they wouldn't play me because it wasn't "official". It's a codex, isn't it!?
OT/

I love the models. I insist that you complete this army. At least a small force. Please:D !

-Crusader

MIGHTYPanhead
14-07-2006, 11:29
these are pure gold. Love the feel of them. They just ooze character :)

big inspiration to me, especially like the skull mask. (it's a mask right? or am I crazy?)

primarch16
14-07-2006, 12:14
They look Incredible, I must know how you did the faces on the gaurdsmen!

Nife
14-07-2006, 12:16
Quality through and through...

The Hoff
14-07-2006, 12:26
Thanks guys!

The faces were done by cutting the whole jaw (below the top lip) off the regular cadian faces (and the nose to, on one of them). Then I green-stuffed the new lower half, and added some bags under the eyes using my scalpel as a sculpting tool for the fine lines and stuff..

The Agitator is meant to be wearing a death mask, I may add some pipes or something to make it clear that the skull is not meant to be his face :)

Sotec
14-07-2006, 12:29
Super job! More!

Zactar
14-07-2006, 12:38
Those are simply amazing. More of those would be awesome. Keep 'em comin' Hoff.

Zac

-=B@toun3T=-
14-07-2006, 12:45
Fantastic, now we want tanks !!!
Then the painting quality is very very good.

primarch16
14-07-2006, 13:50
Do you have any WIP shots of the unit? Or maybe a tutorial on the faces?

cpl_hicks
14-07-2006, 13:56
the hoff as always you are my god :D

Pfreck
14-07-2006, 14:04
Hi Hoff nice to see you again :)
Is your AM army finished yet?
Your traitor guard looks awesome mate! I always liked Traitor guard especially Nurgle :D

malika
14-07-2006, 14:27
omg you're back! Yeah what happened to your Admech? These Nurgle fellows look interesting! Any ideas for warmachines and stuff like that? Perhaps you could model the Ogryns like Abominations from Warcraft3?

Inquisitor
14-07-2006, 15:03
Awsome job! It would be great to see a tutorial on how you did some of the work.

=][=

Fred_Scuttle
14-07-2006, 15:13
Mr. Hoff - no wonder you are so big in Europe!!!!!

Damn spiffy - as a VC player from fantasy I appreciate death and decay - thats damn pretty death and decay!!!!!!

Your highlighting and shading on the Armor and uniforms is GREAT. Please consider blessing us with WIP photos if you ever can.

Wally - Was that an Insane Clown Posse reference??

Fago FTW!!!!!!!!

Fred

tzeentchgiant
14-07-2006, 16:31
Another series of inspirational models from the Hoff?

Wow, superb work, I can't wait until the nest juicy, fleshy, smelly installment.

TG

old guard
14-07-2006, 16:32
Those are stunning! Propper job! I now understand the god emperor of mankind worship for he with the dodgy tan strange hair and curious need to sing in german (I still don't understand that...I accept it ..but I don't understand!).
Drop everything you are doing. You dont need to work, study or whatever it is you do.......just make more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Messiah
14-07-2006, 16:56
Very good. In fact, those are some of the best traitor guard Ive seen. Continue with your work man, will be keeping my eyes on this..

Sandlemad
14-07-2006, 17:03
Brilliant! I looked at these and thought "nice cadians" and then realised. They look incredible and the fact that they're done in the cadian scheme makes their shock value pretty damn high.
I especially like the face of the guy at the rear. Looks just like all the pieces of artwork of traitors.

Mato Noupa
14-07-2006, 19:17
The Hoffster's back!

Nice one mate! Suberb work as always.

Those models look absolutely stunning....

talking about stunning: What happened to your lovely AM Force??:confused:
(You knew I was going to ask that! :angel: )

Nice to see something from your gifted hands again. :D

Cheers,
Mato Noupa
(Now off to holidays!!! YEEEEHAW!)

Metafizikal
14-07-2006, 20:04
i LOVE the lower jaw on the hip, amazing detail, they look great

Gaz
14-07-2006, 20:23
amazing ^_^

Gitt
14-07-2006, 20:38
Very admirable work - Keep it up!

Rabid Bunny 666
14-07-2006, 21:26
You've just set a new Benchmark. Those rock.

wally
14-07-2006, 21:48
Wally - Was that an Insane Clown Posse reference??

Fred

well...
no but i can say it was if it makes you feel better
hmm.. i might go stab some people >:)

ot

hoff the people have SPOKEN u must complete this army

Epicenter
14-07-2006, 22:42
Those guys look excellent! Well, in a Chaos-y way, of course and because I have a soft spot for LatD armies.

How long did it take you to do just those guys? Given the numbers of infantry most LatD armies have, do you think it will be practical to do up an entire army to that standard?

baneful
15-07-2006, 00:05
Damn Hoff, they made my traitors look like wannabes in comparison. Not hard core nurgle worshipers:(

As always though, great work. Keep them coming.

Maybe we will see them at G'con 07?

@ Sheep & Hoff - maybe next year should be year of the traitor for g'con... As i have many a plan other then my blood pact (ill share all in good time)...

Cheers
Baneful

The Hoff
15-07-2006, 02:33
Thanks for the encouragement guys.

@Epicenter- Fortunatly these guys do not take too long to do (unlike the Ad.Mech). The GS work is pretty straight forward, and the rest is just notching the armour and adding spiky bitz. Btw,the spikes on the armour came from the CSM mutation sprue(I cut them off the weird tentacle and mace arms), and from the Chaos vehicle sprue .

I need 30 of them as my core troops for LATD, which is an acheivable number.
The rest of the army will be fairly much from the box, with the exception of the Big Mutants, which should be fun to do. I was very inspired by a recent Golden Daemon winner (UK I think) that made a Big Mutant.

Im going to do a unit of 30 Plague zombies, but they will only need minor green stuff work, and maybe some 40kish bitz like wrenches and firearms (so that they dont look like they come straight rom WHF).

Unfortunatly, the old Adeptus Mechanicus are not far along yet. I have the Knight titan (still armless :o ), a squad of vostroyans, an enginseer and servitors and the half finished squad of proper AdMech troopers.

@Baneful- I missed you at G'Con this year, I was olny there for a little while. What army did you play?

CMDante
15-07-2006, 02:37
Great job in capturing the theme of traitor guard so commonly depicted in the artwork with those evil faces. Pity this project looks set to keep you from those Ad Mec's for a while longer though....;)

Keep up the good work mate!

ghostmaker12
15-07-2006, 02:44
those are awsome i love the faces. btw how or what did u use to make the faces?

m3ntor
15-07-2006, 06:02
I can't not reply to this. Great work - Brilliant conversions, brilliant painting, brilliant details. Keep it up. Give us more.

TanithScout
15-07-2006, 06:23
you are seriously not human!!! in a cool, badass way

those are hands down the best traitors ive ever seen. they look fresh off the killing fields and fresh in the bossom of chaos. great job!!!!!!!!!

baneful
16-07-2006, 00:45
@ Hoff - I ran a very unlucky Red Scorpion army in the end, These guys
http://groups.msn.com/BanefulsPics/redscorpions5thcompany.msnw

And planning 30 traitors! remember they are only like leadership 6 or 7.

I say do one unit of 15 (1 core troops choice covered), then the unit of 30 plague zombies as the other (2nd core troops choice covered), then you can run any size traitor squads you like (5 to 15), maybe using the sacred number of nurgle (7).
Any plans for gibbering hordes or daemons? or maybe some corrupted knight titans?

Cheers.

The Hoff
17-07-2006, 10:23
Small update: Added two more boyz

I took these photos at night, so the lighting is terrible. For point of reference, they are standing on a pure white peice of paper.

Some of the traitors, perhaps those who embraced Chaos most readily, are further along the path to madness and mutation than others.

http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/8089/traitors2mw5.jpg

sheep
17-07-2006, 12:37
Looks good, managing to keep them diverse and yet keep the squad looking cohesive.

The mutations scars and piercings are also very effective.

Good work.

Cheers

Sheep

The boyz
17-07-2006, 12:52
Those are some very nice looking Traitors, The Hoff. I love the conversion work, especially all the little spikey bits and chaos symbols. I also like the rather disturbed and twisted looking faces. Great paint job too. I like the blood splatterd uniforms and the freehand on the guns and other chaos symbols looks great.

baneful
17-07-2006, 13:03
love those guys even more then the others. great work hoff. keep em coming.

praise to grandfather nurgle.

Red Scorpion
17-07-2006, 17:52
These are actually the nicest traitors I've ever seen, better than anything featured in WD even! I love those faces, faces even a mother would hate, totally superb!
Also, theyre rather subtle for Nurgle traitors, excellent!
Can't wait to see the rest of these and your adept mech stuff, truly inspiring!
Chris

firestorm40k
17-07-2006, 20:44
Fantastic! The Hoff does it again :cool:

Very inspirational, some of the best Traitors I've ever seen. Outstanding! :D

primarch16
17-07-2006, 20:46
I envy your skills. Stunning work.

Mika
17-07-2006, 21:32
Best traitors Ive ever seen, the conversions are just so subtle and fitting and the painting is fantastic too. Must have more! :D

Metal Fingered Villain
17-07-2006, 21:44
Wow jesus christ, this are ******** amazing. They do not however say nurgle to me at all but rather cadians recently corrupted to the powers of chaos. The work is outstanding howver dont get me wrong, I jus think if they are going to be based around the new nurgle dp they should have more fly and nurgle symbols and less chaos stars. And I thought my nurgle traitors were good...

no-use4a-name
17-07-2006, 21:57
What more can I say that hasn't been said? Can't wait to see this army develope further.

Quick question, are the chains sculpted or were you lucky enough to find chain thin enough to fit the figures?

Killshot
17-07-2006, 22:22
These guys are amazing! If only I had the insight to convert model such as these. Most of the time, I don't even know where to begin. :cries:

The Hoff
17-07-2006, 23:02
Glad that people are liking them.

Note that the traitors were not modelled as exclusive nurgle worshippers. The green scheme and rotting faces means that they will fit well with a Nurgle based force, but I avoided using the iconography of any single power for the sake of versatility. The only models that will be purely nurgle in these squads will be the banner-bearers (I plan to do one for each squad, to act as either icons or decoration). That way, if I wish to change the alignment of the force, all I need do is make new banner-bearers.

This way they can be Alpha legion cultists, or if I decide to play around with Khorne or Slannesh themed LATD they will also fit.

The chains were made with GS, using the tip of my scalpel to press the chain pattern in (my scalpel blade is always notched a little at the point).

This actually brings me to a question I have-
Has anyone used or seen the fine chains available from Forgeworld?

I need to model Daemonic chains at some point (for a seperate 750pt list including these troops), and I wonder if the Forgeworld chains would be fine enough to not look overly large next to a CSM mini?

HiredSword.
17-07-2006, 23:09
hmm, i've recently needed to model chains for a beastman warband i've been working on. Did you do it all in one step or did you wait and come back to it at different stages of the gs drying?

The banner bearer idea is very cool btw.

Getz
17-07-2006, 23:38
This actually brings me to a question I have-
Has anyone used or seen the fine chains available from Forgeworld?

I need to model Daemonic chains at some point (for a seperate 750pt list including these troops), and I wonder if the Forgeworld chains would be fine enough to not look overly large next to a CSM mini?

If it helps any, the chain used for the winch on this conversion (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/Getz/Guard/DSCN0214.jpg) is FW's medium link chain...

I hope that gives you some idea of the scale...

no-use4a-name
18-07-2006, 00:09
As far as FW chains go, I've got the thinnest they make. It's great for vehicles but, a little too thick for the average 40k or WFB infantry. It does look okay on larger models ie., Termies, Ogres, Mounted Cav. and etc.

ancient god
18-07-2006, 00:55
Mr 'Hoff sir,

I've been worshipping you for some time now and now I see you do not only feature in great movies and TV series but also you model and paint miniatures of highest quality!

Let me bear your children - or at least do more of these traitors, they're the best I've seen. Including deamon entries and such; they lack the flavour yours got.

Yours in eternal adoration,
ancient god :D

PS. Some of the post is serious, I think you'll see which part. ;)

sheep
18-07-2006, 10:37
The children bit right :p :D

Keep up all the good work.

Cheers

Sheep

wally
18-07-2006, 10:40
the smallest cheapest chain i have been able to find costs me 1 dollar a metre (au) from the local nic nac shop
its the same size as a cadian belt
but its twised link (http://www.beadhouse.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=84&products_id=1374)
they dont stock any of the flat/oval/round ones
but u can internet some for as little more
fine chain by the metre (http://www.beadhouse.com.au/index.php?cPath=84)

kendoka
18-07-2006, 10:59
Wow.
By far the best traitor guard I've ever seen.
By using slightly corrupted guard in standard uniform (a brilliant idea) I believe you have just created a new standard.

BTW. The blood red + chestnut ink was a good idea. Will try.

Will try to post some pics of minis converted using the FW fine chain.

Eduard
18-07-2006, 11:38
Now thats what traitors should look like :D Excelent work there.

Gareth
18-07-2006, 11:42
really cool, ticks all the right boxes for me. They're not over the top, the details are subtle and well executed and they're painted wonderfully.

I'm really impressed. Well done.

Inquisitor lorr
18-07-2006, 18:44
Those are awesome,i don't think anyone has asked this yet but how did you paint the cloth and armour?

Thanks

The Hoff
19-07-2006, 02:55
Thanks for the images of the FW chains Getz, I have a feeling that the smallest size will be slightly too big to put on a CSM, so ill have to think about some other options. Btw, that recovery vehicle is very nicely converted.

Like Wally said most fine jewellers chains have decorative twisted links, still I may have a look around the jewellers in town for the finest (and cheapest) chain necklace I can find and give it a go, as that will probably be cheaper than ordering FW anyways!

The armour plates are straight Catachan green, with a three stage highlight mixing with white.

The robes are Commando Khaki basecoat. Over this I do a medium wash of scorched brown. Once this is dry I highlight up, I do four stages starting from pure Commando Khaki and ending with about 50/50 Khaki/White.

tzeentchgiant
19-07-2006, 03:04
Like Wally said most fine jewellers chains have decorative twisted links, still I may have a look around the jewellers in town for the finest (and cheapest) chain necklace I can find and give it a go, as that will probably be cheaper than ordering FW anyways!If you're in the UK there's a shop called Claire's Accessories, and also Accessorise. They sell cheap jewelry for little girls (like 12-16) and they sell things like charm bracelettes and necklaces, both have simple chains, warhammer scale.

Even if you aren't in the UK, I'm sure there'll be something similar wherever you are, not proper jewelers, but cheapo girly ones :).

TG

sheep
19-07-2006, 06:20
Try the bead shop on keen street.

Cheers

Sheep

old guard
19-07-2006, 06:49
If you have a railway modelling shop anywhere near where you are (taking into account Australian geographic scale issues) they are normally a good source, it's weare I get mine from, reasonable price, different sizes (some very small) and minimum hassle since its not silver, gold...

wally
19-07-2006, 14:46
hoff if you live way out in the boonies i could mail u some

(this is just a trick to get his address so i can kidnap him and chain him up under my stairs and force him to paint for me :evilgrin: )

Rictus
19-07-2006, 21:56
If you live in the UK Netmerchants (http://www.netmerchants.co.uk/index.php) are worth a look for chain. I have bought chain from them and it was cheaper than getting chain from a jewellers. If you don't live in the UK the chain is manufactured by Artesania Latina in the US I think. Picture shows the three different sizes (2mm, 1.5mm and 1mm). Beware when I ordered the length that is stated is wrong, each chain is about a metre in length.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/P7190009.jpg
Hope this helps.

As for the models they look great. I'm a big fan of Lost and the Damned and traitor forces so to see models looking this good makes me a happy bunny.

icebergman
19-07-2006, 22:40
Those look awesome!! Hope to see more!

The Hoff
16-08-2006, 06:39
Small update on my traitor Guard here,

I will post more detailed pictures of everything later when my camera recharges.

Here we have the traitors, and the Daemon Prince that they worship.

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/6933/traitors10ys5.jpg

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/4184/traitors12vz9.jpg

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/8271/traitors11copydh4.jpg

The new nurgle DP is quite a fun model to paint, lots of nice details, I just wish in retrospect that I had bought some nurglings to stick on the base...I may get round to that eventually.

Next squad I do will be some deathguard...straight from the box, as it is only a small squad and not a major feature in the army. After that its time to attempt the big mutants, Im thinking the new plastic rat ogres will form a basis for these.

I may also sprinkle 3-4 traitor mechanicus troopers amoung the Traitor sqauds, just for some variety and some fun modelling.

CaputMortuum
16-08-2006, 07:28
I cannot say anything that hasn't been said already, except that just seeing these is an honor. Yes, they are that good.

Please, keep it up. Try to finish this one as it is too good to throw away. I know you don't want to half ass anything so take your time and we'll try to give you the energy to finish this one off. Please.

caput

P.S.
Have you seen these?
Forge World traitor militia (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/chaosrenmil.htm)

MrChaos
16-08-2006, 07:56
Oh my god, this is bloody awesome. The character of each individual models is plains awesome. Especially the faces. The blood effects is really cool too.

Great job.

tzeentchgiant
16-08-2006, 11:31
I wish I could sig this, wish it so much, those are ******* awesome.

In fact, I may just create a website with my sig on it so that I can continue to update it :D.

Righteous conversions dude :D.

TG

ancient god
16-08-2006, 11:46
I've said it already and I'll say it again: These are exceptional.

That burned skull idea on the bases has just been stolen. :p

Thanks for sharing!

baneful
16-08-2006, 11:50
keep em coming Hoff, still awesome.

The boyz
16-08-2006, 12:08
Wow Hoff, those traitor guard are looking fantastic. I love the conversion work and the paint job on them is bloody superb. The nurgle DP is looking great too. Cant wait to see more.

The Hoff
16-08-2006, 12:20
Thanks guys, glad you are liking them.

I wanted to get some opinions on one question.

Should I do the second squad in the same colour scheme/uniforms, or mix it up a little, so that there are units from different traitor regiments?
Im just wanting to keep some variet in what i am painting...

I was going to have two Russes, one will look look like it has just been captured...with imperial marking still on it, but they will be marred and graffitied.
The second Russ will have been produced on a captured forge world, and will be in a red and black scheme with all the spikes and traitor bling.
Should give the army a patched together, discordant look...which I hope will work.

The current army list for 1850pts (my local tournament now runs 1850).

Daemon Prince (with plenty of gear)

6 Big mutants (scaly upgrade)
7 Plague bearers
10 plaguemarines (2 melta)

15 traitors (HB, flamer)
15 traitors (HB, melta)
30 plague zombies (firearms, I am amused by the idea of my units blowing themselves up)

Leman Russ
Leman Russ

Any ideas/comments. In the end I will go for the options that look cool, but it would be nice if I can win with the army too.

EDIT- @CaputMortum, yes! I did see the FW stuff. Its quite good, but unfortunatly they have not done any new arms or weapons as far as I can see. I think I may take inspiration from some of their mask designs though. In any event I am wayyyyy to poor right now to even look at FW :0

Aquilla
16-08-2006, 12:54
These are absolutely brilliant, so inspiring.
I think I may have to redo my Iron Warriors after seeing this.
A good thing for inspiration for you would be to look at some of the more humanoid aliens from star trek. Many feature ridges around facial features similar to the mutations your traitors harbour.

Pfreck
16-08-2006, 13:39
These look amazing Hoff!
Did you sculpted the head of the Flamer-Guy by your own? It looks awesome!
What kind of colours did you used for the Cloths btw? Just citadel colours or other? (Vallejo etc.)
cheers

KayvaanShrike
16-08-2006, 14:30
Awesome work, more more more more more more lol

The Wraithlord
16-08-2006, 14:48
Man I am impressed! This is actually very similar to what I have been considering doing with the Gaurd army I am starting up (Cadain battleforce due to arrive anytime now woot!) and these are very inspirational indeed. I am planning on adding a Chaos feel to the models without going overboard so that I can use the models equally well with either the actual IG rules -or- the LatD rules.

Very very nice work here mate.

tzeentchgiant
16-08-2006, 14:53
I say mix it up a bit, but don't go too wild with colours, keep them simple and faded :).

Great work as I said, when can we expect the next installment :p?

TG

ghostmaker12
16-08-2006, 15:03
wow you never stop amazing me with your work.

i especially like that you stuck with the regular cadian colors insted of red and black.

i cant wait to see some pics of yor traitor russ's.

Animerik
16-08-2006, 17:55
I absolutley love em :) the best and most chaosy traitors ever keep up the awsome work

sheep
16-08-2006, 18:14
Lovely work hoff. the discordant look will work well. And red and Black traitors always work well :p

Cheers

Sheep

Torgaddon
16-08-2006, 18:20
Congratulations Hoff on your skills. The work you do has intelligence & integrity.
A certain inspiration for all us Chaos-philes. (?)
The new renegade models from FW will look beautiful amongst your conversions.
A triumph in modelling and painting.
And thankyou, I can use these images to justify the purchase of said renegades to my wife.
Keep up the good work.
T

Metal Fingered Villain
16-08-2006, 19:27
Wow, these new traitors are amazing. Now I'll have to post pics of the nearly completed traitor horde I have amassed.

Inquisitor lorr
16-08-2006, 20:34
ooo-awesome demon prince-could you give us a quick tutorial please?

Those traitors are amazing,i love the masks you've made.

Killshot
16-08-2006, 21:45
These are the most amazing miniatures I have ever seen....ever!

Red Scorpion
16-08-2006, 21:54
Absolutely stunning, I am truly inspired!
As good, if not better than, the Forgeworld pieces!
Must start my traitors immediately....
Chris

baneful
17-08-2006, 00:18
The current army list for 1850pts (my local tournament now runs 1850).

Daemon Prince (with plenty of gear)

6 Big mutants (scaly upgrade)
7 Plague bearers
10 plaguemarines (2 melta)

15 traitors (HB, flamer)
15 traitors (HB, melta)
30 plague zombies (firearms, I am amused by the idea of my units blowing themselves up)

Leman Russ
Leman Russ

Any ideas/comments. In the end I will go for the options that look cool, but it would be nice if I can win with the army too.

Well Hoff Ive got a bit of critisism on the HQ choice.... It is Illegal:eek: . You cant have a daemon prince as the only HQ in the army,cause it would have to be drawn from an allied HQ. Meaning you still need either a Arch Heretic, Aspiring Champions or Greater Daemon as the compulsory choice.

I recommend aspiring champions, though they would have to end up in with the traitors or mutants (zombies). Which isnt always the best thing:angel: .

As for big mutants, they are cool in concept. Though in game you would be better off with spawns, cheaper and they are quite nasty. Just use your mutants (minus guns) as them.

As for the paint job, yeh mix it up a little. But keep em coming, these guys better deffinately be done for next year;)

MagickalMemories
17-08-2006, 04:15
I would like to know 2 things...
(1) Detail on how you modeled the faces
and
(2) detail on how you did the helmets on the guys in OBVIOUSLY zombie-like faces? Are those GS helmets or something else.

Very nice work. Wonderfully done!

Eric

The Hoff
17-08-2006, 09:52
Well Hoff Ive got a bit of critisism on the HQ choice.... It is Illegal:eek: . You cant have a daemon prince as the only HQ in the army,cause it would have to be drawn from an allied HQ. Meaning you still need either a Arch Heretic, Aspiring Champions or Greater Daemon as the compulsory choice.

Argh, thats my bad I forgot about my AC. I am taking one Aspiring Champion HQ choice. He will be equipped with a powerfist, and will run (or shamble) along with the plague zombies. The zombie boss will also have a powerfist upgrade.

As for big mutants, they are cool in concept. Though in game you would be better off with spawns, cheaper and they are quite nasty. Just use your mutants (minus guns) as them.

I have heard that the big muties are a mediocre choice rules wise, however given that this http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/4146/firstplacegoldendemoningles2005warhammerindividual mincx6.jpg model by Iago Pineda (UK 2005 GD) was the inspiration for my army, I am fairly set on including them.

Their rules seem OK, and compared to a PA Grey knight (which cost the same points) they are positivly good value.

@MagicalMemories- All the helmeted heads were done with normal Cadian heads. I carved away the entire lower jaw from each face, and replaced it with GS. The helmet shell was slightly modified, by carving away one of the bulges on the sides. My modelling tool is my trusty old scalpel, any messy sculpting has been covered up by the paintjob ;)

As far as the Daemon Prince goes, you will notice that I have done a carbon copy of the heavy metal scheme (I loved it that much). For all my work I use GW paints (simply becuase my local stores do not stock the Vallejo military range, only the fantsy range which i find to glossy).

The flesh tones are built up from dwarf flesh, with elf flesh being the primary colour. Highlights were done with increasing ratios of white mixed into the elf flesh...in some cases the final highlight is almost pure white.

For the armour I used a catachan green base coat. A heavy wash of chaos black went over this. From this point I highlighted up in three stages using golden yellow mixed into the catachan green. For the final highlight I added a solid ration of white...to keep the overall tone in line with the traitor troops.

Hope that helps, painting tutorials are tricky!

static grass
17-08-2006, 12:29
Lovely work Hoff. I think I prefer these to the chaos militia from FW. I love the bare metal chain sword, it looks like it has been looted from a medical bay or something.

But just to prod you along the tutorial path: did you use codex grey or shadow grey to highlight the black?

CaputMortuum
17-08-2006, 12:41
Should I do the second squad in the same colour scheme/uniforms, or mix it up a little, so that there are units from different traitor regiments?
Im just wanting to keep some variet in what i am painting...

Well, to be honest, one of the things that impresses me in your traitors is the cohesive look in the squad. For once they don't look like moronic pubes dressed up as hell spawns on a halloween night. Try at least not to go over board with mixing up the scheme between the units. They look more menacing that way. This is of course just my preference and I know that whatever you'll do will look better than GW could ever produce. ;)

EDIT- @CaputMortum, yes! I did see the FW stuff. Its quite good, but unfortunatly they have not done any new arms or weapons as far as I can see. I think I may take inspiration from some of their mask designs though. In any event I am wayyyyy to poor right now to even look at FW :0

Your right, they are just a quick conversion from basic Cadians. And I know the "poor" thing too, Visa bill is expiring in the end of the month and I haven't got the money and my payday is on the first. The horror! :eek:

caput

Lumpsack
17-08-2006, 12:47
Those guys are just plain nasty (in a good way) :)

Aquilla
18-08-2006, 23:21
Looking forward to seeing some big muties.

(subliminal bump Ahoy!)

mark_logue
19-08-2006, 10:33
You must finish this army. It is the best chaos army I have ever seen.

VERITAS/AEQUITAS
19-08-2006, 14:25
OMG --who needs Forgeworld if he's blessed with your sculpt and painting skills!!!! Awesome work - please keep busy and finish the project!:)

speedygogo
19-08-2006, 16:09
Outstanding stuff!

bloodwraith
20-08-2006, 11:46
not sure if you have ever seen firefly but your guys look like reavers from the series. All you need to do is have metal piercing their skin in horrific ways and places and they will look very much like reavers and even more brutal.

Sojourner
20-08-2006, 13:22
Heh. Nice work.

One thing though - the expression on the daemon's face, I just had to do this...

Equalizer
20-08-2006, 13:36
Really excellent!
My compliment!

Regards

Aquilla
20-08-2006, 16:51
I hate to put a spanner in the works Hoff but I don't think a plague zombie unit can have a boss.

Getz
21-08-2006, 01:39
They can't (nor can they have firearms, incidentally) but I think they can have a Aspiring Champion attached to them.

Of course, the question is, is the Hoff making proper "Plauge Zombies" or merely Nurglesque mutants...

Bronka
21-08-2006, 01:53
They can't (nor can they have firearms, incidentally) but I think they can have a Aspiring Champion attached to them.

Of course, the question is, is the Hoff making proper "Plauge Zombies" or merely Nurglesque mutants...

OR, is he just painting up some totally awesome-looking units just because he knows they'll look cool?

OK, I realise that neither you (Getz) or Aquilla are trying to be hard-nosed rules lawyers, but it's attitudes like this that stunt people's creativity.

Getz
21-08-2006, 02:12
OR, is he just painting up some totally awesome-looking units just because he knows they'll look cool?

OK, I realise that neither you (Getz) or Aquilla are trying to be hard-nosed rules lawyers, but it's attitudes like this that stunt people's creativity.

On the other hand, if the Hoff is trying to make a legal army, then pointing a potential mistake like this out before he starts converting models will spare him a lot of aggro...

Bronka
21-08-2006, 02:18
On the other hand, if the Hoff is trying to make a legal army, then pointing a potential mistake like this out before he starts converting models will spare him a lot of aggro...

A fair point, but I didn't get the impression that that was a great concern of his.

Besides which, with models of this quality, I'm sure any reasonable opponent would be pretty flexible with regard to WYSIWYG.

The Hoff
21-08-2006, 02:52
Oh dear, I really must read the rules more carefully. Youa re right, no boss the for plague zombies...not to worry, I dont think a st6 powerfist was going to be a game winner at any point.

You guys may have guessed by now that I am more of a modeller than a gamer, nonetheless I do want a legal army :)

As far as modelling the zombies goes, actual plague zombies would look similar to 'bloated' mutants, so I will model them and then play some games to figure out which works best in a rules sense. It was the fearless aspect of the plague zombies that i liked, as my basic plan for using them was to deploy them to protect my flank when using a refused flank tactic. That way any enemy units who wish to cross the board to get at my main army will either have to sidestep around the zombies...or crash right into them and get stuck.

Im going to mix parts from 3 boxes for the basis of my zombies:
-WH Beastmen
-WH zombies
-Cadians

Ill replace the bones and primitve weapons with wrenches, crowbars, knives and lengths of chain. The guard uniformed zombies will be dragging their lasguns behind them like a club.

Sojourner...I know what you mean about the facial expression, he looks like hes really drunk or something, and is eying off some dude for a fight >8O

Aquilla
21-08-2006, 09:41
I both love and hate the new daemon prince's facial expression. Love it because of the overall expression, hate it due to the cartoon comical-ness of the oversized left eye and chin.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how you do your zombies Hoff, I like the idea of using beastmen.

CaputMortuum
08-09-2006, 09:23
Any progress?
Not that I want you to hurry anything, but show us something now! :D

caput

Satan
08-09-2006, 14:40
How could I've missed this? These are awesome. Very inspirational for me as a nurgle and future LatD-player. Thank you.

gorres
08-09-2006, 19:45
Hi all !
Fan of 1/6 scale i create a site about the blood pact( in construction)
http://the-blood-pact.monsite.orange.fr/

The Judge
08-09-2006, 22:15
Bah, more nurgle pics!

Pleeease...

The Hoff
09-09-2006, 03:38
Sorry about the long absence guys, you may have realised by now that i tend to do alot of work in short bursts and then go for long periods only working slowly.

First off, I thought I would show you one of the many things which has distracted me from the LATD. I have been doing bitz here and there of Tau, Eldar and, to go with my Librarian conversion, I have started a Blood Ravens combat patrol.

Much credit goes to Bolter and Chainsword member Commander Y for the
quartered banner style which I shamlessly copied from his own excellent Blood Ravens.

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/4307/brsergentgt5.jpg

Anyways...back to the task at hand.

With the first squad of traitors done, I moved onto the Deathguard, which I will run a large squad of. For me the Deathguard models are neither here nor there, certainly nothing to get excited over, so I decided to speed things up I would try some drybrushing, which is something I normally avoid.

Here are the first three, which I completed over 2 days (which for me and 3 models is very quickly).

http://img366.imageshack.us/img366/6697/deathguardms4.jpg

I spent a fair bit of time trying to get the Asp. Champions sword to look as though you would catch every disease in the Sector if you even looked at it.

Next I have a very WIP image, which is my Daemon vessel. This guy is for my 750pt (not nurgle themed) list, which will be using the traitors hence the reason I left Nurgle specific markings off them ;)
There is only one squad in the list that the Daemon could be in, so I figured there is no point trying to hide the vessel. No prizes for guessing what type of Daemon will burst out of this bad boy.

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/1223/daemonvesselud8.jpg

My long search for 40k scale chains (for Daemonic chains) ended in failure, but not until I had enquired in every jeweler and craft store in town. I am far too impatient to order the chain and wait for it, so I decided to just make the model and use the Khorne Beserker torso to guard against any WYSWYG nazis.

EDIT: that was my first attempt at a lava base too, I am not entirely happy with the result, but I learnt some lessons that I can apply in future.

deus ex mortis
09-09-2006, 04:04
That deamon vessel Is amazing

HiveTrygon
09-09-2006, 15:20
The painting is amazing. I love the Nurgle stuff most but these others rock also, like to see more. I know now what to do with all my cadians. :evilgrin:

Aquilla
09-09-2006, 17:47
Great work.
I espcially like the BR's banner.

unclejimbo827
09-09-2006, 17:54
Boy oh boy, all your stuff is great man.

CaputMortuum
09-09-2006, 18:18
Uuuuuh... Midas comes to mind everytime I see your work: Everything you touch turn to gold! Just amazing stuff!!! Thanks for sharing these.

caput

HiredSword.
09-09-2006, 19:05
i love your work! Although i have a small criticism in that the red lining aroun the Blood Raven's cream shoulder pad looks out of place and ruins an otherwise beautiful model.

The Judge
09-09-2006, 20:42
Seems fine to me.

Lovely stuff...

hamani
10-09-2006, 09:20
personally i like it.

Messiah
10-09-2006, 09:58
The Daemonvessel is the best one yet. Damn good work!

Nineswords
10-09-2006, 11:51
Hoff, you need to take a photo of your lighthing rig, your photos of the models look great!

- Jay

Pfreck
10-09-2006, 11:55
wow! nice job Hoff :) I really like the Plague Marines.. what colours did you used for the armour? it looks great!

HiredSword.
10-09-2006, 12:55
i love your work! Although i have a small criticism in that the red lining aroun the Blood Raven's cream shoulder pad looks out of place and ruins an otherwise beautiful model.

lol, admittedly rereading my post, i think 'ruins' is exhagerating it a bit. I just think it would look better with just a darker shade of cream instead of the red.

The Hoff
10-09-2006, 13:43
Thanks Guys,

@ Pfreck- they were nice and simple to paint, the Plaguemarines have a base coat of catachan green. Over this I have done a drybrush of graveyard earth, and then a lighter drybrush of rotting flesh. Details and panel lines were then highlighted conventionally with rotting flesh.

@ Nineswords- I use natures lighting rig for most shots :) these ones were taken outside, on a slightly overcast day. I placed the minis on a white panel just within the shade line of our verandah, this way they werent in direct sunlight, but they were catching alot of reflected light and ambient light. works a charm i have found, much easier than trying to set up lights inside.

edit: looked over the photo of the Blood Raven and i will fix up the shading on the shoulder pad. Its actually scorched earth, I am perfectly happy with the right pad, but the left is a wee bit messy i will agree.

HiveTrygon
10-09-2006, 14:30
edit: looked over the photo of the Blood Raven and i will fix up the shading on the shoulder pad. Its actually scorched earth, I am perfectly happy with the right pad, but the left is a wee bit messy i will agree.

A true artist if I ever saw one, ever ready to aim for perfection. I can't say how much I like your stuff, the painting is my favorite part as I am fairly good at sculpting but will probably never reach the skill of painting you have. The way you painted the black is definately professional level. You should ebay auctions at cool mini and make a fortune. ;)

Mojaco
20-10-2006, 22:03
I thought you were supposed to be good, but none of these models have pupils!

Great look. always wanted to do the artwork from EoT, never wanted to put the time in it. And now someone with more talent but probably more time per model is doing it. I hope you finish it one day, but with your skills you should maybe take projects with less models in it :)

Best of luck

Bloodthirster90
20-10-2006, 22:43
someone's been playing killzone a little too much...
still, awesome work on everything here.

UnRiggable
20-10-2006, 23:19
Hoff, you need to take a photo of your lighthing rig, your photos of the models look great!

- Jay

The models themselves, however...

Nah I'm kidding. Best daemonvessel I think I've ever seen! Makes me wanna do a small chaos army, and I know what my list would include if I did...

ben8s8
30-10-2006, 17:53
Great stuff!

Zodiac
30-10-2006, 18:05
Very awesome stuff.. I love it from the top!

maraxis
19-07-2007, 19:18
As nice as all your other stuff Hoff...

Getz
20-07-2007, 03:14
Please don't necro the thread...

Strelok
20-07-2007, 03:38
Hey, I totally missed seeing this log, what a cool bunch of guys, great job on the cadian conversions. I really like the WIP demon vessel. I feel like the lava might need one higher highlight or some sort of OSL coming from the lava. Also, great job on the librarian, that red armor is brilliant. How'd you do it?

The Hoff
11-08-2007, 08:53
I'm going to be moving forward a bit with my traitors (in long anticipation of codex:daemon worlds). The army theme has changed alot, its now a Khorne force.

Here is a (very WIP) preview of the beast that will lead the force.

http://img47.imageshack.us/img47/3349/bloodthirstereq3.jpg

And for those who missed it, the concept mini for the second troop squad.

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/9484/bloodpact1io0.jpg

more WIP, for some reason I had a headless Kasrkin in my bitz box, so I decided to experiment with it.Could look cool with a Bloodpact mask.

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/6746/bloodpact3wu2.jpg

I was also reading the rumours about the LATD in codex:Apocolypse, where it is suggested that it will be a legal list IF the player takes three maxed squads of mutants as a pre-requisite. Frankly, I dont want to convert 90 odd mutants, and I am not a fan of the WHF zombies in this role. Instead, I though I could use servitors instead. Basically the premise is that the traitors were able to re-program captured factory servitors en-mass with a simple combat script, and turn them against the Imperium.

Thoughts?

Pics of some new troops, and my first Leman Russ will later in week.

the_dark_sarge
11-08-2007, 08:59
awesome work as usual hoff
the idea for the servitors sound good
sorry bout not being able to pick up the GK at the GD but we will work somehting out
bwt the beast looks awesome
well its good to have you back, ill be looking forward to more updates

Pfreck
11-08-2007, 09:47
Nice to see that you're still working on the project. :)
Will the green traitors be replaced with the Khorne theme, or will you repaint them?

Keep it up!

konrad
11-08-2007, 09:53
Liking the Daemon. Is that the Balrog as a base?

sheep
11-08-2007, 10:05
That is awesomeness on a stick!

Will have to see this one in the flesh some time.

Cheers

Sheep

Still learning
14-08-2007, 11:47
I wait for that leman Russ on monday!

Darloc
14-08-2007, 13:30
Wow, just discovered your work, very very nice, GD standard for me! Keep it coming!

synapse
14-08-2007, 13:50
subscribed!

those traitors put my ones to shame. amazing work on the GS and paint alike.

the balrog/greater daemon looks great though i demand better pics as im sure the one you posted does not do it justice!

might i suggest beastmen with 40k paraphernelia to use as mutants? i nurglified some beastmen (mostly gors) and use those for my mutants, and i love them - they give an old schoo rogue trader feel to the army, which i love

keep up the good work!

pjc
14-08-2007, 16:55
loving the look of the bloodthirster
its driving me mad because i cant work out what you have used for it other than the balrog

Strelok
14-08-2007, 21:22
These guys (especially the floating possessed and the concept for the second troop squad) are beyond amazing. The detail is impeccable.

Coolhand
14-08-2007, 22:08
This is going to be one great looking army, keep up the good work

Resurrected
14-08-2007, 23:04
Fantastic! Absolutly fantastic!! Keep up the good work, I'll definatly be watching!

cpl_hicks
15-08-2007, 00:02
I didnt look at this thread when it came back cause i thought it was another freak bring it back for no reason, but now i see that the Hoff is back i must stay on this thread and keep pressing the refresh button to see more of your work.

Metal Fingered Villain
16-08-2007, 18:50
Man, those are looking dope, the freehand star on the dudes shoulder is a nice detail. I had the same idea for the balrog/thirster conversion, now I think I should do it, just to see if I can stand up to yours. :p

kortholaxthedamned
16-08-2007, 20:04
*droool*

cough, but yeah, these are scientifically proven to be 'teh winz0r'.

sLai
20-08-2007, 00:41
100% freshly squeezed lovelyness as always

Panic
24-08-2007, 06:35
These are just amazing.
My want of doing a Blood Pact army increases even more.

Subscribed.

How did you do your colour scheme on the Kasrkins?
Could you do a step-by-step? It would really help...

Your painting is amazing. Love it.
Can't wait for the Leman Russ.

The Hoff
25-08-2007, 09:59
Two more troopers; sorry they are poorly lit, it has been raining here for about a week, so its been hard to get the lighting correct (seeing as I usually use natural light)

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/9317/untitled1copyhn7.jpg

I'm moving to Sydney on the 27th, so its going to be about three months before I can do any modeling again :(.

If anyone knows of a well populated, friendly gaming club in Sydney CBD or Eastern suburbs I would be glad to hear of it.

@panic: the red is a mixture of blood red and scorched brown. There is a new dull-red in the foundation range that would probably look even better though (the colour GW used on the new Red Corsairs). It is highlighted up by adding dwarf flesh.

synapse
25-08-2007, 10:00
loving that chainaxe traitor!

grat work!

the_dark_sarge
25-08-2007, 10:07
Wow awesome work as usual hoff,
so its been raining up there, thats crazy, down here its sunny as, GRHH give us some rain

cheers,
kieran

G.Hawke
25-08-2007, 10:24
Well...

WOW!

Very Cool stuff there hoff, i really like those....
May just have to nick some of your overt chaosness for my traitors

Hawke

jasevx
25-08-2007, 11:21
Great work Hoff, got to be the best Traitor Guard I've seen recently.

Aquilla
25-08-2007, 11:33
Great work on the new traitors!!
Almost makes me want to collect blood pact.

glenning
25-08-2007, 11:40
Awesome models, they look very good!

old guard
25-08-2007, 13:06
Sweet concept- the reprogrammed servitors and I suppose there is no reason why the biological part of the servitor could not mutate (if you wanted to) for a bit of variety.

As per usual stunning quality on those troopers, one question though, the heads, where are they from?

Good luck with the move and get yourself back here soon, we want to see more

Frgt/10
25-08-2007, 14:19
Unbe-Freaking-lievable, those traitors are 100% win.

was thinking of doing some traitors as an expansion to my alpha legion army for apoc; these have definately inspired me.

I'm moving to Sydney on the 27th, so its going to be about three months before I can do any modeling again .

If anyone knows of a well populated, friendly gaming club in Sydney CBD or Eastern suburbs I would be glad to hear of it.

Will be great to have you in our great city! as for specific clubs i cant really help you there cause i live on the north shore; best bet would be to head to the Sydney battle bunker GW and ask the boys there, they can probably help you out.

Colonel Stagler
25-08-2007, 20:30
From what i take it mutants are better than traitor guardsmen in assault, why dont you instead of modelling them as controlled servitors, model them as close assault specialist traitors, with trench clubs, better helms and maybe some frontal plate armour to represent their combat orientated role, Just food for thoughts :)
Stagler out

Metal Fingered Villain
25-08-2007, 22:47
Dang, those are dope son!

Luthien
26-08-2007, 00:39
They are deserving of the title "teh Uber", really execellent work and that nurgle DP is magnificent, be rightly proud :D

Mr Feral
05-09-2007, 11:50
This is just awesome work, it makes me want to go back and add more details to my Renegade Guard. Thanks for the inspiration.

Cheexsta
11-09-2007, 10:06
You could try Good Games (http://www.goodgames.com.au/sydney.shtml) near Central (they hold fairly frequent 1500pt one-day tournaments as well as having days for normal pickup games), or even the GW Battle Bunker closer to Town Hall.

I can't think of any in the Eastern suburbs, but if you don't mind a bit of travel you could always head up north to Thornleigh to my locale ;) I'd love to see these wonderful minis in person.

Let me know if you need more info.

Catch-22
09-05-2010, 20:52
awesome stuff im thinking of "stealing" your idea for my own traitor guard force theyd be good as "fallen" 8th cadian troopers id like to see how u painted the faces though. But Good JOb!!!!!!!!!!

khaosBlizzard
10-05-2010, 04:29
http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/9317/untitled1copyhn7.jpg

howd you make the claw hand?

Dragoon King
10-05-2010, 05:30
Holy smokes, puts my Traitor Guard to shame. Not sure if I want to keep an eye here or not, I'm so jealous! GREAT work.

Catch-22
10-05-2010, 10:18
i think the clawed hand is from the chaos mutation sprue .

Acerbus
11-05-2010, 04:03
This thread has been dead for about three years. Just sayin.

Raven Down
11-05-2010, 06:56
Have You Not Heard Acerbus? Ignorance Is Bliss...

@ khaosBlizzard - Looks Like a Converted Genestealer Arm

@ Catch-22 - He's used several coats of pink,Most likely starting with a deep pink and watering it down to a flesh color by adding more pale colors to the pink pallette over several drybrushes and finishing with a wash to darken the recesses.

But as Acerbus said this thread died three years ago,You won't get answers from the OP unless you PM him, So let this thread Rest in Peace

Felwether
11-05-2010, 07:06
Have You Not Heard Acerbus? Ignorance Is Bliss...

Miaow... :rolleyes:

Sorry, sorry, I'll get back in my box.

Steal Rokker
11-05-2010, 09:56
you are my idol... i love your work.

Dragoon King
12-05-2010, 05:08
3 years? I think that breaks my record for necrotizing, lol. Shame it's dead though, awesome stuff.