PDA

View Full Version : What will, will not, and might, and might not happen in 8th ed 40k

Herkamer63
06-04-2017, 16:34
Pretty sure everyone has read that strip of 40k 8th ed "confirmations" that's been circulating on the web. I'll be honest, it seems too premature, and no one knows for sure how much of it is correct. Some of it sounds a little far fetched. I want to break down this down with my thoughts on what I think is reality or not.

1. "Confirmation" on no more codexes - I said it on another site and I'll say it here: NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN! Army books are a big part of this game and offer buffs to whatever it is you're playing. People say "look at AoS, they do warscrolls." Yes, and see where they ultimately end up? Battletomes, and what are they essentially? CODICES FOR AOS! So no, they're not going away anytime soon. MAYBE when 8th hits, they may have a temporary set of free rules and invalidate the current ones, but don't bet on that yet.

2. "Confirmation" on no more templates - Again, can't say this one's happening either. The game has come a long way with templates and I just don't see this happening anytime soon. I wouldn't be against the idea because, yes, if a scatter is rolling one way (the correct way in which the arrow is pointing) instead of someone saying "no it goes this way" (which is the wrong way, but they don't care because they don't want their units getting hit or vice versa) it gets stupid after awhile. Then again, I wouldn't be against keeping templates either.

3. "Confirmation" on no more armor values - I can see this happening with walkers more than I can regular vehicles. It makes Dreadnoughts good, and survivable. Transports and tanks? I don't know if this'll happen. Not saying it wouldn't make things easier, and I understand AoS does it with the Steam Tank, but this is 40k where vehicles are everywhere. This one is a big question mark, but if at least walkers get it, great. If not, just make them better somehow with their AV.

4. "Confirmation" armor save modifiers - I've been told this has been confirmed, but I looked and heard before on this and NOTHING has been confirmed, only being considered as a possibility. Right now, IMO, the AP system is fine. It's easy to remember, and makes sense. Now, an armor save modifier can work too, and I'm not against the idea, but I guess how do you do it without making it exactly like AoS? The Alien Vs. Predator board game (which is cool BTW) has a good system where you reach a certain strength you can begin to subtract the save of a unit. If there's a 2nd bracket, however, you can't make a save worse than that number. If that were the case in 40k, I'm on board, but let's see what happens.

5. "Confirmation" on summer release - No arguments here on that. I hope it's that close. The sooner the better.

6. "Confirmation" on simplified rules - I've talked about this before on here (streamlining), and I'll repeat it it: What is the definition of simplified rules to these people? Tweaks here and there but nothing that requires a complete redo (my understanding of it and just common sense if you want to streamline) or a complete overhaul/gutting/extreme makeover? To be fair, the guy said not to the extent of AoS, but to others, for one reason or another, it's a total do over of the game, but I don't think that's the case here. Some things will change, but I would say, at most, 20-30% will change (no further). Realistically, 10-20% would change. Some people, like on BoLs, think 70-90%. Maybe an exaggeration, but over 50% they think for sure. I would say don't assume anything until 8th officially hits on this, but remember: It's still Warhammer 40,000, not Warhammer Age of Sigmar.

7. "Confirmation" on charging out of vehicles - I hope this one's true. This would actually make assault armies good again. The Gorkanought and Morkanought would be both be decent to use. Same with rhinos in BA, SW, GK, and BT. I'm pretty sure it was a part of the game before, so this would be a nice welcome back.

All in all, we don't know what will happen in the end with 8th until there is undeniable proof, like through leaks or the release itself. The only one I am certain of will be the codex thing. If army books are still being made for AoS, don't expect 40k to stop what it's doing on codices. What do you think?

Lord Damocles
06-04-2017, 18:38
7. "Confirmation" on charging out of vehicles... Same with rhinos in BA, SW, GK, and BT. I'm pretty sure it was a part of the game before, so this would be a nice welcome back.
3rd edition Rhino Rush is amongst the last things the game needs to return.

I'm not sure if 4th edition's charging from stationary vehicles would really help Rhinos that much, since it was mainly of benefit to Eldar in immortal Falcons.

williamsond
07-04-2017, 07:39
I wrote the list that's been picked up out of context and every one is running with. In fact it was in response to a question on a thread hear on warseer.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?422009-New-Marines&p=7657816#post7657816

While every one seams to be loosing there marbles and being very dismissive of all this, this info comes from the same sources who have in the past rightly predicted a lot of other stuff, from the plastic primarchs to round bases on fantasy (again all stuff I've dropped here on warseer only to be told I'm wrong/wish-listing/lying) and said plastic thunderhawk 18 months ago.

To be honest I'm not bothered if its taken as true or not, but I was asked directly what I knew and that's the only reason I posted it here, how it turned into international news I'm not sure.

over on bolter and chainsword they are just about burning effigies of me while calling me every thing including an AoS apologist... I though warseer was supposed to be the "grumpy " forums

theJ
08-04-2017, 12:49
I though warseer was supposed to be the "grumpy " forums

Turns out, the definition of "grumpy" varies quite a lot depending on which side of the fence you're standing.
I've personally found warseer to be quite reasonable... most of the time. Not above expressing displeasure, sure, but I don't view that as a bad thing..

*ahem*
As for the rumours... I ain't gonna doubt ye'. I find most of those quite likely, looking at GWs track-record. I also ain't gonna pass final judgment on the rules til' I've got 'em in my hands... however concerned I might be about them, and I CERTAINLY ain't gonna take out no frustrations on the messenger.
Because that **** just ain't cool.

de Selby
11-04-2017, 00:48
this info comes from the same sources who have in the past rightly predicted a lot of other stuff, from the plastic primarchs to round bases on fantasy (again all stuff I've dropped here on warseer only to be told I'm wrong/wish-listing/lying) and said plastic thunderhawk 18 months ago.

It appears the plastic thunderhawk isn't happening after all though. So we have to be a bit more skeptical about usually reliable sources of information it seems.

For what it's worth I think 40k can survive a General's-Handbook-style reboot, so long as they don't change the background too much. If it's all super-marines and primarchs saving the galaxy and whatnot then it might be time to get more into Infinity. I'm in wait-and-see mode now.

williamsond
11-04-2017, 07:51
It appears the plastic thunderhawk isn't happening after all though. So we have to be a bit more skeptical about usually reliable sources of information it seems.

For what it's worth I think 40k can survive a General's-Handbook-style reboot, so long as they don't change the background too much. If it's all super-marines and primarchs saving the galaxy and whatnot then it might be time to get more into Infinity. I'm in wait-and-see mode now.

yeah I saw this yesterday my sources seem as baffled as we are, but in fairness the rumour engine cant be 100% right all the time (my guys got the release date for titanicus wrong too, but have been right a lot more than they are wrong) still looks like we're going to have to wait a couple of months to find out. I've been told to expect announcements at warhammerfest in May so I'll reserve my reservations until then at least.

Herkamer63
12-04-2017, 23:13
I wrote the list that's been picked up out of context and every one is running with. In fact it was in response to a question on a thread hear on warseer.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?422009-New-Marines&p=7657816#post7657816

While every one seams to be loosing there marbles and being very dismissive of all this, this info comes from the same sources who have in the past rightly predicted a lot of other stuff, from the plastic primarchs to round bases on fantasy (again all stuff I've dropped here on warseer only to be told I'm wrong/wish-listing/lying) and said plastic thunderhawk 18 months ago.

To be honest I'm not bothered if its taken as true or not, but I was asked directly what I knew and that's the only reason I posted it here, how it turned into international news I'm not sure.

over on bolter and chainsword they are just about burning effigies of me while calling me every thing including an AoS apologist... I though warseer was supposed to be the "grumpy " forums

I understand. I could be wrong on my assumption on all this stuff, but it just would seem so odd for this stuff to happen. 40k has always been different from fantasy, in terms of how some of the game mechanics are panned out, and for the most part remain that way. Not that I can't adjust to some new stuff, but I wouldn't want it becoming too much like AoS (not taking away any credit from AoS at all, but no clones).

If the changes are reasonable, 40k will be fine (IMO, I think 40k is doing well right now). Some of it I hope becomes true. Charging out transport would be SOOOO nice, again. AV on walkers would be nice. Makes dreadnoughts worth it again. As long as regular vehicles don't become too overpowering, I'm ok with them getting Toughness values (the Land Raiders would be awesome with 2+ armor). Finally, if the release date is true, June needs to come sooner.

williamsond
13-04-2017, 07:55
I understand. I could be wrong on my assumption on all this stuff, but it just would seem so odd for this stuff to happen. 40k has always been different from fantasy, in terms of how some of the game mechanics are panned out, and for the most part remain that way. Not that I can't adjust to some new stuff, but I wouldn't want it becoming too much like AoS (not taking away any credit from AoS at all, but no clones).

If the changes are reasonable, 40k will be fine (IMO, I think 40k is doing well right now). Some of it I hope becomes true. Charging out transport would be SOOOO nice, again. AV on walkers would be nice. Makes dreadnoughts worth it again. As long as regular vehicles don't become too overpowering, I'm ok with them getting Toughness values (the Land Raiders would be awesome with 2+ armor). Finally, if the release date is true, June needs to come sooner.

I'm really looking forward to see what June brings too, I've been told to expect big announcements at warhammerfest so I'm waiting with baited breath.

Just as a point to note 40k and fantasy battle had very interchangeable rules sets when I first started out (rogue trader WFB 3rd ed) so there is precedent for rules sharing from the past, not that i want an AoSing of 40k.

I'm just hoping that they rebalance stuff and deal with the rules bloat and power creep that's blighted 40k for the last few years.

Herkamer63
13-04-2017, 13:17
I'm really looking forward to see what June brings too, I've been told to expect big announcements at warhammerfest so I'm waiting with baited breath.

Just as a point to note 40k and fantasy battle had very interchangeable rules sets when I first started out (rogue trader WFB 3rd ed) so there is precedent for rules sharing from the past, not that i want an AoSing of 40k.

I'm just hoping that they rebalance stuff and deal with the rules bloat and power creep that's blighted 40k for the last few years.

I hear ya. I personally would like to see codices and units rebalanced, especially Eldar Craftworlds (not a fan at the moment, and have NO liking at all for Ynari, broken as can be). I can go on all day on what needs done with the books ( and I'm personally open to getting temporary free rules for current armies if it goes AoS-esque as long as new books are being worked on for them and any new armies), but I'm curious to see what the core rules are gonna be like first. Also, I didn't know 40k and fantasy had interchangeable rules, but I didn't start until mid/late 3rd ed 40k.

williamsond
14-04-2017, 09:32
I hear ya. I personally would like to see codices and units rebalanced, especially Eldar Craftworlds (not a fan at the moment, and have NO liking at all for Ynari, broken as can be). I can go on all day on what needs done with the books ( and I'm personally open to getting temporary free rules for current armies if it goes AoS-esque as long as new books are being worked on for them and any new armies), but I'm curious to see what the core rules are gonna be like first. Also, I didn't know 40k and fantasy had interchangeable rules, but I didn't start until mid/late 3rd ed 40k.

yeah back in the olden days you could play space marines vs high elves if you wanted too... and we did the crazy young fools we were :)

Herkamer63
14-04-2017, 15:03
yeah back in the olden days you could play space marines vs high elves if you wanted too... and we did the crazy young fools we were :)

That's awesome. It would be fun to see Stormcast go up against SM. Just yesterday I actually read up on the leaked rules on Shadow Wars (aka necromunda), and checked out the save modifiers. I actually kinda like it. It seems reasonable, and makes some of the weapons, like chainswords, useful.

So like I said, I'm not against some of this stuff as long as it's reasonable. Hopefully some of it will rub off on 8th ed, like this game's overwatch (giving up a turn of shooting), and the short range/long range modifiers. Seems like, according to what you were talking about, some things should not have changed (especially 40k vs fantasy battles).