PDA

View Full Version : How to speed up a game of 40k

Herkamer63
13-04-2017, 16:16
Time has always been an issue in 40k. Adepticon is proof of this. 10 hours of Championship and 11 for Team (for a grand total of 21 hours for 9 games) takes a lot out of ya. There are a few fixes that, I think, should happen that would help speed up games.

Time limits - This includes deploying units (not setting up terrain, missions, deployment zones, warlord and psychic traits, and rolling for night fight, deployment turn, who goes first in game, and seizing initiative), reserves phase, movement phase, psychic phase (if there is one in 8th ed), shooting phase, and assault phase (and please understand these are only numbers I'm throwing out, so don't take what I say seriously because situations can change depending on armies). Keep in mind, as the game goes on, with the exception of regular deployment before the game, these times would decrease.

1. Deployment: It shouldn't take anymore than 5-7 min to decide where everyone will go, for most armies, but with horde armies it may take a little longer, like 7-10 min.

2. Reserves: This normally takes like a min 1/2-2 min. This includes deep striking, deploying in terrain, outflanking, and coming in off of the player's table edge.

3. Movement: The average army should take about 4-6 min to move everything. Horde armies, about 6-10 min

4. Psychic (again, if there is one in 8th): Min 1/2 to about 3 min if there's a lot of psykers on the table.

5. Shooting: This is a little more tricky, but I would say about 6-8 min, and horde armies about 8-11 min.

6. Assault: This is also hard to say, but if I had to guess, including overwatch, charges, and CC attacks, this would be about 4, maybe, 6 min for most armies, but hordes a minimum 6 min to about 8.

Again, these are just numbers I'm throwing, and can change, but putting a limit on how long your turns are would drastically speed up the game. Per player turn, a 15 min time limit in turns 2 and 3, roughly, 10 min in the 1st and 4th, and 5 min for turn 5 (if the game goes on to turn 6 or 7 go 5 min as well). So just 10 min short of 2 hours. Of course we could just go 10 min per player turn and the game would be shorter yet, but a little extra time wouldn't hurt. I couldn't begin to tell you how much I hate playing slow play players, especially with horde armies. If limits were put on, and you don't get done what you wanted to get done, it's your fault for not moving things along quicker. Bottom line, this would solve about half, or more than half, of the time issues, especially for tournaments.

Knowing the game rules - If everyone would know the vast majority of the rules, we wouldn't have to keep flipping through the rules to find 1 rule. I understand if it's something that you would like clarification on, but most of everything else, you should know. Streamlining rules (real streamlining, not a complete overhaul on everything that places like BoLs would get you to believe) . Stat cards would make things easier as well since they'll be right in front of you, especially for people who are new.

Game Timer - This could just be me, but this wouldn't hurt. An hour glass or a clock would be a good way to keep things moving.

Ultimately, it still comes down to the players. You want to speed things up, know what the plan of attack is and know what the rules are.These were ideas floating around in my monkey infested brain, but if anyone else has anything better let's hear it.

Easy E
14-04-2017, 23:38
The easiest way is to streamline the rules..... just saying......

I was able to complete a 1,500pt 3rd edition game pretty darn quickly. :)

jamesvalentine
24-04-2017, 19:27
easiest way is to find opponents who aren't going to argue every time you move an inch, roll a die or fart.
good luck with that ;)

and why does everyone want to rush games and be done 10 minutes after deployment? have you never played fleet games of star fleet battles? they can last days.
huge Napoleonic games? days
you pussies :p

Easy E
26-04-2017, 17:04
I find when I was a youth, I liked long games as time was no problem. In middle-age I want quicker games since I have no time.

I like to imagine that once I am retired I will want longer games again.

Denny
28-04-2017, 20:19
Play smaller games. Problem solved.

jamesvalentine
29-04-2017, 09:14
Play smaller games. Problem solved.
MADNESS!!! what you say makes too much sense!!
your telling me instead of playing 10,000pts of unpainted models people could do 1500pts with a fully painted army and STILL have fun???

Voss
29-04-2017, 23:30
I think the times proposed are pretty unreasonable. Mostly it's a matter of mechanics. Getting rid of excessive dice rolls and clunky things like blast weapons would help immensely.

And yeah, if time is really an issue, bringing it back down to reasonable game sizes like 1st and 2nd. A hero or two, a few squads and maybe a vehicle.

dugaal
21-05-2017, 00:55
Maybe this is already done by players here, but Im always making rules summaries of not just my units/profiles, but also whatever special rules I know my own forces are able to trigger. Ive obsessively done the same for my lazy regular opponents, so I only have 4-5 pages to look through for rules disputes. I always second guess myself constantly on things I should've memorized awhile ago, so kindof need to.

Regularly only play 1000-1250 and still takes us 3 hours of casual playtime.

I personally feel that too small a game (500 pts) leaves very little room for tactics. After deployment strategies are done the game is going to be pretty obvious how it plays out. Never tried killteam but the game would need some similiar restrictions and unit min-size leniency, not to mention some changes to objectives tables to make it work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk