PDA

View Full Version : Chaos lost its personality.

SilentHunter
18-07-2017, 08:29
Im not sure if this has been discussed before, i just want to say overall i like the new edition of 40k and what it has to offer for the most part but feel that in regards to chaos they have lost what i found most interesting about them, you can not dedicate alot of your units to a specific god and marks are tied to icons, i've always loved chaos but they certainly feel alot more shallow and have less character to them for me now. Still enjoy chaos overall but just can't understand why having khorne mutilators or warpsmith was such a bad thing for a tabletop roleplaying game, i enjoyed the roleplaying aspect that your model was dedicated to a god and its rules reflected that, i hope overall the game does well but individual marks for all my units will be missed and alot of the roleplaying aspect of chaos has been removed and makes them much more generic.

Anteater
18-07-2017, 09:17
Remember that the Codex will probably introduce a lot more familiar concepts that were lost in the Indices. I'm not sure if Marks are included in that, but I'd guess so.

The_Real_Chris
18-07-2017, 11:29
Also remember Chaos has gone from a shadowy threat to something pretty much out in the open.

Rabbitden
19-07-2017, 08:48
I'd agree that in its current format Chaos has lost a lot of flavour. I've played a few games with my Word Bearers and have been left feeling a little flat with the options given to me. I believe when the Codex comes around (which I believe is quite soon) a lot of the pazazz will be re-introduced which will include the daemon weapons, artifacts and probably some 'legion rules/traits'.

Games Workshop did a good job with the Index books in updating current armies so we can all play instantly; now we just need to add a little spice into the mix. :)

Shards of Basalt
05-08-2017, 13:38
Flavourless is how GW does things these days.
They're seemingly terrified to give us rules for something that we might have to convert in case a third party supplier sees an opportunity to sell a conversion kit (because nobody has ever said the official model looked like crap and went to buy one anyway).

The Fallen Angels in Gathering Storm were like the bravest thing they've done in years. Which is why at best this new Chaos Codex is going to be "ok" its probably going to skip out a bunch of basic options due to the fact they require simple kitbashes and paint itself into a corner.

Lord Damocles
05-08-2017, 14:48
They're seemingly terrified to give us rules for something that we might have to convert in case a third party supplier sees an opportunity to sell a conversion kit (because nobody has ever said the official model looked like crap and went to buy one anyway).
Based on the evidence, the situation isn't quite that simple - Codex: Grey Knights is removing Dreadnought weapon options which don't come in the kit, but adding Grand Master Dreadknights and even encouraging people to convert them via White Dwarf, for example.

The Chaos Codex is removing mount options from Lords and Sorcerers, but retaining relic weapons which don't have model representation.

Meanwhile Forgeworld is seemingly perfectly content to release rules for units and/or weapon options which variously don't have models on upon release (eg. most of the Talons of the Emperor list) or seem never to be getting models (eg. Bran Redmaw, Toholk, Kutlakh), but still dropped Bel-Annath...