PDA

View Full Version : The Return of Necromunda

Lord Damocles
13-08-2017, 09:31
Necromunda: Underhive (https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/08/13/breaking-news-necromunda-returnsgw-homepage-post-1/) confirmed.

Launching with multipart plastic Eschers and Goliaths.

Plus the promo image is a female Ratskin!

MagicHat
13-08-2017, 10:13
Woop woop!

I wonder what bases they are mounted on...

Anteater
13-08-2017, 11:57
Woop woop!

I wonder what bases they are mounted on...

Looks like 25mm for the Escher and 32mm for the Goliaths.

mdauben
13-08-2017, 12:36
I admit I was worried about what they would do to Necromunda when they brought it back. I like the look of these new miniatures, though, and the indication that this will be another gang oriented game. I'll look forward to learning more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

Urgat
13-08-2017, 12:38

That makes them bigger than 28mm heroic scale then, right?

Denny
13-08-2017, 12:38
Happy happy joy joy happy happy joy joy.

silentsmoke
13-08-2017, 13:08
Shut up and take my money!

Senbei
13-08-2017, 14:34
A GW product I actually want to buy...

Good Job GW... just... don't mess up the rules... again.

MagicHat
13-08-2017, 15:06

I don't think they are from Sector Imperialis though, and certainly not Sector Mechanicus.

WordBearer
13-08-2017, 18:23
That makes them bigger than 28mm heroic scale then, right?Not really. That's about the right scale for each, considering Goliaths are borderline superhuman.

Voss
13-08-2017, 18:31
The escher with the rifle strikes me as scaled the same way as the Sisters of Silence. I put mine on 25mm bases and the 'wide stance' ones fill the base in much the same way.

This should be interesting to see, I'm curious about the sudden emphasis on cybernetics and gene-mods.

Karak Norn Clansman
13-08-2017, 19:04
It's a beaut so far! And also note the skullquilla that is now Necromunda's emblem (or is this an old one that I've missed previously?).

Haskear
13-08-2017, 22:05
So happy to see this, it could see me start playing again after 10 years of only collecting and painting. Hope they bring the spyrers back, I can just dust them and my orlocks of and get going.

The only thing that would have improved necromunda though would have been a few aliens incorporated into gangs, Babylon 5 style. Impossible on a highly xenophobic imperial world. Would only have been achievable on a world on the edge of imperial control. Also would have been difficult to achieve from a model production point of view as each gang has its own aesthetic. So an alien model e.g. Dark elder would have to be converted to match the aesthetic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

arkle
14-08-2017, 08:57
I just hope the models are multi pose rather than snap fit like bloodbowl so there is more conversion options. I can't wait for them to be released however as I will definitely be getting each of the gangs!

Rogue Star
14-08-2017, 12:31
I just hope the models are multi pose rather than snap fit like bloodbowl so there is more conversion options. I can't wait for them to be released however as I will definitely be getting each of the gangs!

To quote the GW website:
What makes these miniatures even better is that they’ll be available in multi-part, plastic kits – so easy to assemble, customise and paint into a gang of your own.

Sureshot05
14-08-2017, 14:35
Wow, beautiful. Can't wait to see which other gangs get released. A multipart plastic dream. With the industrial terrain they have released as well this promises to be an amazing release. I would guess it will be £80-£100, two gangs and one bit of scenery maybe? With full rules of course.

Lord Damocles
14-08-2017, 17:08
To quote the GW website:

What makes these miniatures even better is that they’ll be available in multi-part, plastic kits – so easy to assemble, customise and paint into a gang of your own.
Rather than true multipart models, I'd expect something more like the Sisters of Silence, which are largely mono-pose, but with options to swap out weapons/arms and heads/hair.

Karak Norn Clansman
14-08-2017, 19:41
Admittedly, that approach to multipart is quite much the best of two worlds, for someone used to 6th ed WHFB kits: The posing flow of the whole model from eg. metal miniatures combined with customization of plastic kits. Better poses, less wonky looks, and still customization where it counts. Sure, I love the wild display of bits and posability of old GW plastic kits, but the posing of the models was inferior to their metal miniatures.

blackcherry
14-08-2017, 20:01
Interesting. Wonder how Necromunda will change now that Shadow War:Armageddon is basically Necromunda for 40k units?

But still, colour me optimistic. Will be some good new models if nothing else.

Gdolkin
15-08-2017, 11:54
Helmawr's rump! I am exceedingly pleased, as the release of Shadow War a few months back set me off on a Necromunda nostalgia tip that has seen me dig out all the old books and WD articles, finally paint the Delaques I got in about 2003, trawl ebay for most of the old Eschers and Ratskins which are now painted too, and I've nearly finished the base and first two levels of my first 2'x2' board of 4 that I'm making a 4'x'4 modular underhive board out of with tons of Sector Mechanicus and scratched-up junk and floor-treasure (like that oil rig terrain in WD that showcased Shadow War, but more Underhivey).. I've never really gamed at all in any system since my first flush in the early 90's, I've been hooked all this time just by all the stories and models, but now I play Necromunda against myself using my own mashup of Shadow War, Necromunda original Sourcebook and the OCE.. I'm finding it such a relief that despite AoS and the shiny shiny Stormcast, and despite damned Guilliman and his mega-marines, and all the other developments I hate, there's still gangs of cyberpunk diesel-punk postapoc mad max tank girl 2000AD desperadoes down in the Underhive being mere humans with mere human problems, needs, weaknesses etc, while all else is turning into over-epic unconstrained Gods throwing minor Gods at eachother across space and time ..you dig me? After AoS and the current 40k I'm thrilled to find I can still care enough to name dozens of simple humans and think up backstories and relationships etc for them as they scramble, scavenge and scrap their way through the rusted domes. Necromunda always had the most character, relatability and humour of the various settings, and these days more than ever. It's a link back to the early GW days of 80's British sci-fi, counterculture and satire. Maybe the whole quasi-feudal vertically-stratified House structure of Necromundan society could appeal to Game of Thrones fans? It works for me, I've got a feud and rivalry between Goran Syr Delaque's Snake-eye Syndicate and Agi's Furies of House Escher to explore that resonates all the way back to Montagues and Capulets for me, while Stone Toad and Talks with Echoes try to lead their people to drive off the crazy hivers from disturbing the ancient caverns of the hive.. Ah good times

Urgat
15-08-2017, 14:21
It's at moments like that I realise how much the community has died off. Two years ago, this thread would have had a thousand posts already :/

Rictus
15-08-2017, 17:20
It's at moments like that I realise how much the community has died off. Two years ago, this thread would have had a thousand posts already :/

I think it is more of a sign that the community has moved away from forums, personally I rarely go on them nowadays, it is almost 100% blogs and day to day hobby is Twitter.

I was at the Open Day and put up some pictures and info on my blog here. (https://recalcitrantdaze.blogspot.co.uk/2017/08/forge-world-open-day-2017-part-1.html)

Captain Brown
15-08-2017, 17:38
My group still has our two "Hive"s and I still have two complete painted gangs and some others bits, but I sold off all my Bounty Hunters, Mercenaries and little critters years ago. It was a very fun game when it was around.

Cheers,

CB

PS: Rictus, it is a bit like the early days of Portent when two users would basically have a chat session as they replied back and forth on the topic.

Gdolkin
15-08-2017, 22:07

There's at least 10 pages on this over at yaktribe..

Urgat
16-08-2017, 08:40
There's at least 10 pages on this over at yaktribe..
Didn't know that site, it's a community dedicated at 33% to Necromunda, a game that has been discontinued years ago. I sure hope they react to such a news. I guess I should have said Warseer specifically though.

Karak Norn Clansman
16-08-2017, 11:24
I've got a hard time seeing the whole point with Twitter, Facebook and to a lesser extent blogs... It's all isolated and compartmentalized per individual, or just lost in the flow. Can't with it. Forums are gathering places, spots to discover ever more stuff others have come up with and with tools to dig in the archives. Things stick around here. Lonely as online stuff is, the new trend is lonelier than the past, which focused on forums... Not a good development in my book. I'd never have called forums perfect previously, but they do sport superiority of use and gathering of people with the same interest online when compared with the new sites.

The new Necromunda models should be a godsend for Savlar Chem-dog collectors out there, and for hive militia in general.

Lord Damocles
16-08-2017, 17:02
The new Necromunda models should be a godsend for Savlar Chem-dog collectors out there, and for hive militia in general.
Ratskin Rough Riders as per 3rd ed. Codex: Imperial Guard, here we come!

Captain Brown
24-08-2017, 18:18
Ratskin Rough Riders?

Where. ;)

CB

Lord Damocles
24-08-2017, 20:19
Page 29!

Captain Brown
25-08-2017, 15:14
Haha. On a more practical note the Genstealer Cult player in our group is all excited as he was looking for some more options for his troops.

Cheers,

CB

Spellfire
31-08-2017, 01:48
Some official news from GW.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwD6Z7GzGxI (argh that *********** voice)
Community article: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/08/31/breaking-news-studio-preview-from-the-nova-open/

Can't tell if it's just a boardgame (rather than the old style 3D terrain). If so, hard pass.

mdauben
31-08-2017, 03:45
Some official news from GW.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwD6Z7GzGxI (argh that *********** voice)
Community article: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/08/31/breaking-news-studio-preview-from-the-nova-open/

Can't tell if it's just a boardgame (rather than the old style 3D terrain). If so, hard pass.From an article posted by GW

As well as the underhive style of play covered by the boxed set, there will also be ways to play Necromunda with the multi-level skirmishes that defined the classic version of the game. These work great on tables using the Sector Mechanicus terrain sets released earlier this year (great news for anyone who built a Shadow War Armageddon board).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Lost Egg
31-08-2017, 07:03
Why a board game? Seems odd though they were unlikely to sell it with the Shadow War terrain. Still, it does seem odd and something that doesn't appeal to me.

The minis do look cool I think but the paint jobs don't do them any favours to my mind.

The artwork is very cool.

Overall on first impressions I'm a bit...meh.

Denny
31-08-2017, 09:47
I'm a massive Necromunda fan and may well buy the set for the Goliath miniatures alone (I think I have all the other gangs somewhere, but I was never that enamored with the Goliath sculpts, and any issues of scale shouldn't matter given how pump full of steroids those muscle heads are)

I suppose a board game is a little more . . . accessible?
In theory at least?

Sureshot05
31-08-2017, 11:09
I think you may be right. To ship with any where near enough terrain for a 3D necro board would probably make the box set cost ~£150. Instead, this is probably a cheaper way to get started and then you can expand with the hive stuff.

I am more interested/concerned about the rules. Any rumours on that front?

Bloodknight
31-08-2017, 11:27
Why a board game? Seems odd though they were unlikely to sell it with the Shadow War terrain. Still, it does seem odd and something that doesn't appeal to me.

It's practically impossible to put a convincing Necromunda table into a box that people would still be willing to buy (it would be hideously expensive), no matter if you use plastic or cardboard terrain (which might actually be more expensive than plastic terrain to make). The board is a good compromise, you can play the game on a more abstract level while building up a proper 3d-table.

Easy E
31-08-2017, 14:20
A board? I guess I can see it.

Now I might have a reason to finish my old Necromunda terrain.

WordBearer
31-08-2017, 16:47
It's fully 100% compatible to play with the Sector Mechanicus terrain (as GW and mdauben said) so yeah, this is just to get the rules and the gangs out there.

As well, if you look at the plastic parts of the box set terrain, they look like they can slot right into spots on Sector Mechanicus stuff.

Rogue Star
31-08-2017, 21:43
Why a board game?

I imagine to keep costs low. This way someone just looking for a boardgame can buy it and put the stuff together on the board and be "done". Shadow Wars: Armageddon by contrast, never came with near enough terrain.

That's not a problem if you're looking at it from a hobby perspective, you can just buy more but for a more casual player, dropping between £50-65 for the two gangs (it's more plastic and card pieces than Blood Bowl, for example) then being told to really get the most out of your game, go buy several of these £25+ terrain bundles will seem more of an investment.

This just lets the buyer decide the amount of time, money and effort they want to put into it: just put together two gangs and play, buy additional gangs with their own quirks, or buy and build 3D terrain for massive games.

Denny
01-09-2017, 10:04
That does make sense. Even in the original Necromunda the terrain you received (whilst great for back in the day) was never really enough t play the game 'properly'.
Necromunda is a real 'the more terrain the better the game' type affair, otherwise overwatch and heavy weapons tend to dominate play and close combat gangs really struggle.

Captain Brown
01-09-2017, 15:31
Yes, and we will see some of the old guard bring out their gangs of yesteryear and perhaps even their Necro towers.

I bet my group will, even if there is a board game base...we will likely pull out the old books and go right back in with the old rules. ;) I have already heard our Genestealer Cult player say he is going to expand his army with the new figures...so it looks like our group will give the new version a chance.

Cheers,

CB

WordBearer
01-09-2017, 17:20
It's just been confirmed by NOVA attendees that there will be an expansion available day one called "Gang War" which will take the rules three-dimensional.

So it's very much going to be like Blood Bowl where you had an initial board game and Death Zone available day one to expand it out to the full game.

Bloodknight
01-09-2017, 19:49
I bet my group will, even if there is a board game base...

Ruleswise it's not really a board game. You can play it on a board, but it's not the be-all and end-all of it.

corps
02-09-2017, 12:41
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQqwG_rQx7A

This is my feeling. Plus my gang the Esher is in it.

Lord Damocles
05-09-2017, 16:50
I'm not thrilled by the prospect of Necromunda being turned from a 3D game into a 2D game, and then having the rules for 3D play released as effectively day one DLC :eyebrows:

I can see why a 2D game would be considered more accessible, but it sort of defeats the point of it being Necromunda to begin with.

mdauben
05-09-2017, 18:20
I'm not thrilled by the prospect of Necromunda being turned from a 3D game into a 2D game, and then having the rules for 3D play released as effectively day one DLC :eyebrows:

I can see why a 2D game would be considered more accessible, but it sort of defeats the point of it being Necromunda to begin with.I think this rumor has already been debunked by GW. The box set contains rules for both 2D and 3D terrain.

Lord Damocles
10-11-2017, 21:33
Escher and Goliath sprue images:

It's disappointing that each gang is only a single sprue doubled up. It means the Escher gang, for example only has two each of shotguns and autoguns, and you end up with leader parts you don't realistically have a use for. Also, no needle rifle, despite the Escher promo artwork featuring one.

I was planning to use Eschers to convert Xenonian Imperial Guard, but with only six lasguns per ten bodies (and no other basic weapons like chainswords, bolt pistols etc.), that's made more difficult.

MagicHat
10-11-2017, 22:13
Escher and Goliath sprue images:

It's disappointing that each gang is only a single sprue doubled up. It means the Escher gang, for example only has two each of shotguns and autoguns, and you end up with leader parts you don't realistically have a use for. Also, no needle rifle, despite the Escher promo artwork featuring one.

I was planning to use Eschers to convert Xenonian Imperial Guard, but with only six lasguns per ten bodies (and no other basic weapons like chainswords, bolt pistols etc.), that's made more difficult.

6 lasguns, 2 autoguns, and 2 flamers.
Laspistols, plasma pistols, CCW/swords, power swords and boltgun (if removing needler component) for sergeants.

Whip for Company Commander with Blade of Conquest count-as possibly?

I believe it have been stated FW will release weapon packs, although what those weapons ends up being is unknown. Maybe future Sisters of Silence weapons can be used as well, thinking grenade launchers primarily.

mdauben
12-11-2017, 05:59
I Pre-ordered my copy of the box and Gang Wars supplement this afternoon. I had an $81 dollar credit with my favorite online retailer so between that and the standard discount it made for a relatively painless purchase. ;)

brionl
30-11-2017, 23:56
Welp, I picked this up a couple of days ago. I do have the Shadow War: Armageddon rulebook, but I haven't picked up the new edition of 40K yet. So I'll only be comparing it to SW:A. I also got Gang War and a set of the House Escher cards.

The box is packed pretty darn full. Two sets of ganger sprues for each of Escher & Goliath. Which are the only gangs covered in the base rules and Gang War. There is some fluff on the other gangs, but no rules yet. So probably at least one more book to come. A sprue of Doors and another of busted doors, loot crates and misc crap. A small sprue of the 3", 5" and flamer templates. There is one cardboard sheet of various tokens, and 8 sheets of the terrain boards. Looking at Deathwatch: Overkill the boards seem to be similar, but don't appear to have the same thick walls and the square grid that would let you use the doors. They also appear to be rectangular and not square so they wouldn't line up very well. Nevertheless, I'm sure we're going to see extra boards on sale soon.

One major change from SW:A is in the profiles. Several of the stats have been changed to show a roll, for instance BS 4+ instead of the old way of BS 3 and looking it up on a table. BS, WS, LD are all X+ rolls, while M, S, T, W and A remain plain numbers. They also added back in Cool, Willpower and Intelligence which haven't been seen in quite some time. Instead of the old familiar S vs T wound table, they've got a chart now. If Strength is >= twice Toughness, then you wound on a 2+, etc. It works out to be the same as the old table anyway so I'm not sure what the benefit of doing it this way is. Other than it's not directly compatible with SW:A.

The house gear lists are slightly different between Escher and Goliath. For instance Escher can get shock whips, plasma pistols & chem synths as basic equipment, while Goliaths have to get them from the Trading Post. Likewise Goliaths get slugg-stim sets and grenade launchers to start. The Trading Post list overall seems to be missing quite a few items. No plasma guns, no flamers, no heavy stubbers, not even a regular bolter, just the combi-bolter/needler.

The Gang War supplement has the rules for using 3D terrain, which mostly consist of rules for climbing and falling. Also the campaign rules for collecting your income, and special territories (but no archeotech domes).

The miniatures are very nice. I haven't put any together yet, but the box comes with a big poster of assembly instructions. It looks like the legs & torso have several different poses. The arms & weapon sets look to be interchangeable among a couple of different body types, but not all of them. The faces & hairdos are separate and look to be mostly interchangeable between the different bodies, but might have weapon interferences. I found some of my original minis (mostly the Van Saar, not the Escher ones I was looking for). The Van Saar seem to be slightly larger than the new Escher minis and smaller than the Goliaths.

I do have 2 1/2 sets of terrain from the original version, so I'll probably be mostly using that instead. I just spent a while digging through my storage shed and finding which pieces are still useable, and which ones were too grunged up.

Other changes from the OG are that fighters from different gangs have different stats. Goliath ganger: M 4", WS 4+, BS 4+, S 4, T 4, W 1, I 4+, A 1, Ld 8+, Cl 5+, Wil 9+, Int 8+. Escher ganger: M 5", WS 4+, BS 4+, S 3, T 3, W 1, I 3+ A 1, Ld 7+, Cl 5+, Wil 7+, Int 7+. Leaders, Champions (replace Heavies, more or less) and Juves can directly earn skills & stat upgrades. They can spend XP to either roll on a skill table, or pick a stat increase. They can pay more XP to directly pick a skill instead of rolling. Gangers, OTOH, can only get stat increases, unless they first roll a 2 or 12 on an upgrade roll and become a specialist (more or less the same as a Champion).

Overall, this looks like it will play substantially the same as the old version. With just enough changes to prevent you from readily porting over the other house gangs, ratskins, spyrers, etc from the OG. Also enough difference to prevent directly copying from Shadow War: Armageddon and or Deathwatch: Overkill.

MagicHat
01-12-2017, 00:28
The stats are a based on new 8th edition rules.
New S versus T means that you need S6 to wound T3 on a 2+ rather then S5 like before.

We know that Orlock (https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/11/25/all-the-latest-from-the-warhammer-40000-open-day-nov-25gw-homepage-post-1/) are next, and they will have their own book, probably with hanger-ons and hired guns.

There is also the Legacy Gang pdf (https://necromunda.com/start-playing/) (among the useful downloads), with simple rules for the old main houses. It also includes the cost and rules for standard special weapons and credit cost, so you would just need to assign a rarity value for the trading post if you want them on the Escher/Goliath.

brionl
01-12-2017, 04:00
The stats are a based on new 8th edition rules.
New S versus T means that you need S6 to wound T3 on a 2+ rather then S5 like before.

ISTR that they have changed that back and forth a couple times in the last 30+ years. And as I said, I don't have the latest edition. Is Shadow War based on the previous edition then?

We know that Orlock (https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/11/25/all-the-latest-from-the-warhammer-40000-open-day-nov-25gw-homepage-post-1/) are next, and they will have their own book, probably with hanger-ons and hired guns.

There is also the Legacy Gang pdf (https://necromunda.com/start-playing/) (among the useful downloads), with simple rules for the old main houses. It also includes the cost and rules for standard special weapons and credit cost, so you would just need to assign a rarity value for the trading post if you want them on the Escher/Goliath.

Thanks, I was looking for those.

Ooh, and I forgot one more important change. Leaders and Champions start with a free skill!

One more thing. Now that Necromunda isn't a news or rumour any more, is there a better forum for discussion?

MagicHat
01-12-2017, 12:55
I don't remember the rules of Shadow war, I bought it mainly for the terrain.

There is a necromunda subforum (http://www.warseer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?98-Necromunda-Discussion).

EDIT: And you already found the sub-forum. Nevermind.

Bloodknight
01-12-2017, 16:30
Shadow War is a 40K conversion of the last Necromunda ruleset, basically.

Karak Norn Clansman
02-02-2018, 12:44
Squat returns! (https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/02/01/tick-tock/)

Lord Damocles
02-02-2018, 17:43
Plus a short joke!