PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Point VC - Necrarch Army - Undead Legions

Deloth Vyrr
15-07-2006, 03:07
I've put together the idea for a fun0 themed Necrarch Vampire List that goes with an Undead Legion idea, that theme being masses on masses of ONLY skeletal minions: Skeletons, Black Knights and Grave Guard.

Its more of a fun style army, not built for a GT or anything, however I think it MIGHT be able to work fairly well. Relies kinda heavily on magic so I have ALOT of casting in it as well.

Heroes: [738]

Vampire Count - General
-Level 2 Wizard Upgrade
-Nehekhara's Noble Bloodline
-Unholy Cynosure
-Dark Acolyte

Necromancer
-Level 2 Wizard Upgrade
-Book of Arkhan
-Dispel Scroll

Necromancer
-Level 2 Wizard Upgrade
-Staff of Damnation

Wight Lord
-Sword of Kings
-Heavy Armor
-Shield
-Nightmare
-Barding

Core: [622]

25 Skeletons
-Hand Weapons
-Shields
-Light Armor
-Full Command
Ranks of 5

25 Skeletons
-Hand Weapons
-Shields
-Light Armor
-Full Command
Ranks of 5

9 Ghouls

Special: [640]

25 Grave Guard
-Heavy Armor
-Wight Blades
-Shields
-Full Command
-Banner Of Doom
Ranks of 5

6 Black Knights
-Barding
-Full Command
-Banner of the Barrows

2000 Pts. on the nose

10 Spell Dice
2 Bound Items (Book and Staff)
6 Dispel Dice
1 Dispel Scroll

Basically each Necromancer jumps in a skeleton unit and my Vamp Jumps in the GG unit. The Mounted Wight Lord goes in with the Black Knights as well.
I do a large ammount of raising and cursing and fight in large, fearless, fear causing blocks with a strong unit of Black Knights to smash into enemy flanks and move on.

The 9 Ghouls go harrass war machines and wizards (with their multiple poisoned attacks)

Three Headed Monkey
15-07-2006, 04:32
looks good so far. I think with a horde type army, at least with undead it is better to start off with larger unit sizes. I personally think 25 is a good size. You definately do not want to rely on magic. Especially since you could be using your magic mastery to blast the opponent with Gaze of Nagash and Curse of Years early on, instead of having to concentrate on raising more models.

One other thing missing in your list is a complete lack of supporting units. Spirit hosts, bat swarms, banshees, dire wolves, fell bats, ghouls etc. are all useful units. You need the verstility that a few of these units can bring. Whether it be a way to eliminate warmachines and lone wizards to march blocking with a fast moving unit, or protecting a flank and threatening the flanks or your opponent, these are all very useful tactical options that only these support units can bring. Not to mention these units can support your theme and make your overall battle line look much better

However, the upside of this is a very solid army. Huge blocks of unbreakable infantry can be very intimidating for you opponent. Each infantry block can support each other and your opponent will have a hard time breaking through your lines, giving you the oportunity to set up flank charges. But it still lacks some of the flexibility that many of these support units can bring. You may want to consider scraping a skeleton unit to get the points for these units as well as bulking out your remaining skeleton units. It is your choice which the direction you want to go and I suggest playing a few games with the list, changing things around to see how you like it.

Also, if you are taking a Vampire Lord remember that he takes up both a Lord and a Hero slot, so currently you have one too many heroes making your list illegal.

Deloth Vyrr
16-07-2006, 04:10
Thanks for the advice! I didnt realize I was being illegal with my lord :wtf: , guess I'll make him a Count... :(

I figured some Ghouls may be handy and arent too unfluffy I guess...

anyways, yeah its a couple small squads of ghouls but what can ya do? I had to keep my skelton and grave guard numbers BIG otherwise I go against my theme

<Edited Original Post to display New List>

Nell2ThaIzzay
16-07-2006, 05:13
Wow, 29 Grave Guard.

And the people at my local Games Workshop tell me that my block of 20 is big...

Three Headed Monkey
16-07-2006, 05:41
yah, 29 is quite a lot. When I meant larger units, I meant the skeletons :P

But if that is what you feel comfortable with, go for it. It will be a very difficult unit for you opponent to handle but a unit of twenty-five is still just as effecting. In my opinion anyway. For comparison, I field a unit of 20 with a war banner and it does very well. I can count on it to take on almost anything.

I know that because GG are wights you have to be mindful that you cannot raise any to help absorb casualties but neither can anyone else and I rarely see a 30 strong unit of elite infantry.

One more thing, are you taking any banners with your wight units? banner of the barrows is a must, and seeing as your wight lord will be going with your knights I suggest giving it to them. As for the Grave Guard, a war banner can be a really great help. It can help win combats (especially if you already have full static combat resolution) as well as keeping a wight from crumbling after losing a combat if the worst was to happen.

If you are going to keep the thirty strong unit, you may want to consider giving them ranks of six. With thirty in the unit you will have eight spare wounds before you start losing static combat resolution as well as an extra attack. With wight blades, you definately want to maximise your attacks as that gives you a much better oportunity to get a killing blow.

Also, you may want to consider giving you Vampire a ward save. He will definately come under attack during a battle as your opponent tries to get your force to crumble. If you have characters in each unit, the effect of this wont be so terrible, but it is still something to avoid. Remember, even though your general is a Nechrach he is still a vampire and vampires are very good at slaying droves of infantry (but a Nechrach is not so good against other characters), so you do not want to be afraid to stick him in a fight.

Deloth Vyrr
16-07-2006, 18:16
The reason I made the GG 30 is two-fold

1) I cannot raise any more and they are the unit containing my General. Altho 30 may seem excessive, casualties will stick and I want to make it as durable as possible

2) 30 Grave Guard is an awsome sight to see, and will send shivers down my opponents spine. Its like the centerpiece of my army, with my Vampire of Course

I already gave my Weight Lord the Banner of Barrows and he's with the Black Knights, so there isnt a problem there. I was considering making my standard bearer in the GG unit hold a War Banner but didnt have the points to spare really, and I really really really dont wanna shave down my unit counts.

I DID make the skelie units 25 tho as opposed to 20, it should help by adding an extra rank to begin. And yeah, 5 ranks of 6 for the GG may be best as it allows more attacks.

Edit: Ok, I've done some point tweaking and managed to hit 2000 points on the nose. Added a War Banner to the GG squad (if they werent already tough enough :evilgrin: ) and made a single squad of 10 Ghouls instead of 2 small ones. Had to drop a dispel scroll to buy the war banner but I think it'll be ok. With the scarce points left over I added a single skeleton to one of the squads, lol, wont make much difference but where else can I spend 10 points?
I've edited my original post to display the new army list.

shadowprince
16-07-2006, 19:10
Umm try this give the standard bearer of the Black knights the banner of the barrows, Drop standard bearer off the Wight and give him the sword of kings.

Deloth Vyrr
16-07-2006, 20:56
Umm try this give the standard bearer of the Black knights the banner of the barrows, Drop standard bearer off the Wight and give him the sword of kings.

Yeah, Sword of Kings sounds like a good idea. Had to drop my Dispel Scroll for it tho... hopefully I'll have enough dispell dice to be ok.

List Updated

If you guys do think my GG unit is too large, I'd be willing to drop the unit from 30 to 25 to maybe invest a new bloodline power or two into my Count. What you guys think about that? Probably thinking of The Awakening(since it is a raising heavy army anyways) and Unholy Cynosure (to protect against miscasts - especially with 7th ed on the horrizon)

shadowprince
16-07-2006, 23:06
That looks like a good idea. Given the awakening you should be able to raise whole units in 1 turn.

Deloth Vyrr
20-07-2006, 03:40
GAH, too bad the Noble Bloodline, Cynosure and Awakening comes to 105 points :(

I'll have to pick 1 or the other. Leaning towards Cynosure since I'm really worried about 7th ed's miscast table, from what I've heard, its deadly, and the last thing I want is my General miscasting and taking wounds or being rendered helpless.

I also figured, since i cant rez GG and my Count is in with them, some sort of Ward Save vs, shooting would be a good idea. I dropped the War Banner as it wasnt really neccissary and dropped 1 BK and gave the unit a Banner of Doom. I figured 6 Black Knights with 1 Wight Lord would be strong enough of a unit.

Anyways, its time to playtest this list a bit I think...