PDA

View Full Version : The squats shall rise again!

mughi3
07-02-2018, 07:13
I'm just giving a shout out to mantic games for their forge father line of dwarven infantry and vehicles. Doing what GW won't for at least half the price :shifty:

Soon to be a small salamanders force of primaris marines. :evilgrin:

http://www.manticgames.com/ImageCache/Products/5279.1.1000.1000.FFFFFF.0.jpeg

http://www.manticgames.com/ImageCache/Products/6780.1.1000.1000.FFFFFF.0.jpeg

http://www.manticgames.com/ImageCache/Products/5443.1.1000.1000.FFFFFF.0.jpeg

corps
17-02-2018, 22:48
In necromunda gang war 2, a squat bounty hunter is availabe. It's not a demiurg or anything else but a squat so maybe not all hope is lost.

Rogue Star
20-02-2018, 11:54
I'm just giving a shout out to mantic games for their forge father line of dwarven infantry and vehicles. Doing what GW won't for at least half the price :shifty:

Sadly, you're getting what you're paying for...

Edit: Edited to expand on what I posted for the sake of fairness, I picked up both the Forge Father Steel Warriors and Veer-myn Night-Crawlers sets, and neither really impressed me. They're nice, but just that. From the way people talked about them, they made it out these two competed with GW's latest plastic kits, which may have raised my expectations too high, in Mantic's defence, but I wouldn't describe either set as say, of the quality of Plague Marines or Kharadron Overlords sets. I'd place them... in the area of GW's Ork Boys and Eldar Guardians' plastic kits; the problem is those came out in August of 1999.

The Steel Warriors torso and legs don't come on a sprue or numbered, and are only designed to fit certain legs. You can jam them onto other ones and get a bit more variety, but you will be left with gaps in the waist, which aren't too bad with green stuff and careful use of hip-pouches and accessories, but you'd think Mantic would include a construction guide or put something online if that's the case. The Veer-myn, despite being the faction I prefer, came off either worse - almost zero poseability. Rather than having a protruding neck-bump and gap behind the head to allow you to move the head (see Ork Boys) Mantic went in reverse, meaning at most you can have your Night-Crawlers slightly tilting their heads... you can tilt the waists, but since all the arms are designed to clutch the guns to their chest, they look more like they're dancing a jig... on that topic, all guns are clutched in this really awkward angle.

The Steel Warriors are 10 for 15 GBP, while the Veer-myn are slightly better at 20 for 20 GBP. Sadly, being even more limited in pose, and you need even more of them. The price is... alright. I suppose. But everyone compares it to GW's primer Space Marine range, which has always been expensive. Contrast this to say, Dark Eldar Kabalites or Wyches, 10 figures for 18 GBP*, packed with accessories and poseability, with zero gaps regardless of how you put them together (although accidentally sticking a male's head on the female torso is a risk... ehh, it's a space elf, no one will really notice :p). These came out in 2011, a full five or more years since Mantic designed these sets.

What irks me most is that the quality of Mantic's plastic kits seems to be going down rather than up. I personally feel their Skeleton and Ghoul regiments were much better designed kits with less 'blended' details, which were amongst the first they put out, without the use of Kickstarter to basically crowd-fund the sets.

In summary... eh, they're not the worst kits on the market, but frankly, Gates of Antares plastic kits are blowing them out of the water. Not impressed at all with what I got for my money, and kinda expected more after Mantic's use of kickstarter and experience.

mughi3
03-03-2018, 14:13
Well when it comes to quality comparisons with a cost savings I can say that dreamforge(I love my leviathans but damn I want one of those hover STUGGs) and dust tactics(the non pro painted ones you can get from vendors like miniature market) both have kits that easily rival GW.

As for mantic-With the exception of the tanks they are a bit lower quality when it comes to detail and options and not having instructions is also very annoying, but the fun of putting a squat army on the table at my FLGS makes up for it.

Runesight
29-06-2018, 02:09
Like most Squat Alternatives...they will come and go. So either get them and hold em or someday in the far future think about having them. That is how I feel about the tanks in Inquisitor magazine from the 90's. Nice to look at old pics....but you wont find that stuff anymore anywhere.

The_Real_Chris
29-06-2018, 13:05
What irks me most is that the quality of Mantic's plastic kits seems to be going down rather than up. I personally feel their Skeleton and Ghoul regiments were much better designed kits with less 'blended' details, which were amongst the first they put out, without the use of Kickstarter to basically crowd-fund the sets.

The reason for that is simple - better designers, better casters. In that case cast by Renedra (ex GW plastics crew) and designed by Bob Naismith. For whatever reasons (and people have different stories) Mantic tends to use different designers now and cheaper (and far less busy) plastic manufacturers.