PDA

View Full Version : READ THIS - Posting lists made in Army Builder

anarchistica
18-03-2005, 02:48
When you've made a list with ArmyBuilder (http://www.wolflair.com/index.php), don't post it straight away on here, take the time to tweak out any unnecessary and possibly confusing info.

First of all, save your list with the "Save As Text Summary" option, which removes alot of the useless information.

Secondly, you have to clean up the file. Summarise things when possible. If you have a unit with a champion, standard bearer and musician, you can write this down as "Full Command".
Don't mention options that cannot be changed or removed in any way. Swordmasters always have Great Weapons and Heavy Armour, no need to post this.
Army Builder unfortunatly uses a structure where champions with different stats, mounts and crew are listed seperately, it's simply how the program works. Remove any mention of these, except when you have the option to make adjustments to it. For instance, you should mention your Goblin Chariot has an additional crew member, but for Chaos Chariots this is not an option so it needs no mention.
Example

An example of what a cleaned up list looks like, plus a prettier version for those who care.
_ _ _ _ _

1 Archmage @ 355 Pts
Magic Level 4; Lore of Fire
Book of Hoeth [100]

Archmage, Level 4, Lore of Fire, Book Of Hoeth; 355 points.

Archmage, Level 4, Lore of Fire, Book Of Hoeth; 355 points.
_ _ _ _ _

4 Silver Helms @ 129 Pts
Barding; Lance; Heavy Armour; Shield

1 Captain @ [14] Pts

5 Elf Steed @ [0] Pts

5 Silver Helms, Heavy Armour, Shield, Champion; 129 points.

5 Silver Helms, Heavy Armour, Shield, Champion; 129 points.
_ _ _ _ _

19 Swordmasters @ 365 Pts
Great Weapon; Heavy Armour; Standard; Musician
Banner of Sorcery [50]

1 Bladelord @ [37] Pts
Blessed Tome

20 Swordmasters, Full Command, Banner Of Sorcery, Blessed Tome; 365 points.

20 Swordmasters, Full Command, Banner Of Sorcery, Blessed Tome; 365 points.
_ _ _ _ _

2 Repeater Bolt Thrower @ 200 Pts

4 Crew @ [0] Pts
Light Armour

2 Repeater Bolt Throwers; 200 points.

2 Repeater Bolt Throwers; 200 points.
_ _ _ _ _

I've used my own formatting for the prettier version, but any use of bold, italic, underline, etc helps alot to break up the unit entry and allow for a quicker read. This will vastly improve the amount and the quality of the response you will get, as it shows you are worthy of putting some time into.

Also, if you don't clean up your file, you will make me angry and sad, and you don't want that, don't you?

On another note, it really helps if you give some information about how you intend to use the units listed, what armies you will likely be playing against and how competitive you are.

Note for users of Army Builder 2

At the moment datafile managers for AB2 are unable to notify people of official updates through Army Builder 2 itself. You can download the latest WFB 7th edition datafile from datafiles r us (http://datafilesrus.com/user/datafiles.asp?context=ab) as usual, though to get a notification you'll have to join the Yahoo Group (http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/anarchistica/) (Warhammer Fantasy files for AB2). Beta files are released through there as well. I think none of the other datafiles are maintained anymore, but please let us know if someone is still working on them!

TheLeaderOfYou
18-03-2005, 21:11
what is army builder?

anarchistica
18-03-2005, 23:12
what is army builder?
Look here (http://www.wolflair.com/index.php). It's a program that allows you to make army lists for any system with just a couple of clicks.

Kul
21-03-2005, 16:46
I usually do

4 Silver Helms @ 129 Pts
Captain

Is that good too? guess so, but just to check ;)

anarchistica
22-03-2005, 23:14
I usually do

4 Silver Helms @ 129 Pts
Captain

Is that good too? guess so, but just to check ;)
Nah, this is confusing. The unit number count must include the command group (so also the champion). Otherwise, it's unclear whether or not the champion is part of the unit count or not (not in this example, but for any units over minimum size it is).

Also, though this is a personal preference, i prefer champions to always be called champions instead of their specific names. That's just me being silly though. ;)

Crazy Harborc
29-03-2005, 01:12
I too am annoyed by the use of different names for unit champions. Call them unit leaders or unit champions. That was a good item in the old editions.
I play Orcs alot. I still have to "think about it" when I say my units "boss" does whatever. I normally refer to my opponets and my unit leaders & champions as just that. To heck with a bunch of different titles for the same position.

aznsk8s87
03-06-2005, 16:00
I too am annoyed by the use of different names for unit champions. Call them unit leaders or unit champions. That was a good item in the old editions.
I play Orcs alot. I still have to "think about it" when I say my units "boss" does whatever. I normally refer to my opponets and my unit leaders & champions as just that. To heck with a bunch of different titles for the same position.

It does get complicated especially for orcs. you see there's the boss. then there's the bigger boss. and that bigger boss. and a bigger boss. and finally there's the biggest boss :D

Crazy Harborc
11-06-2005, 03:46
Let's see now.....when I printed rosters by hand, they were neat and readable. It also took a couple of hours for ONE. Then the math mistakes started to yell up at me from the pages. Then, there were the "missed reading again special deals".

Now, and for the last 3/4years.........I can do a roster in less than 1/2 hour. I can do a new version, several versions. I can do rosters for several different rule sets with little confusion going from ruleset to ruleset. My rosters are VERY readable, haven't found any math mistakes......yet.

As advised by Army Builder, I have the rules and codexs/armybooks/suppliments for all the systems/rules that have files for/on AB.

As far as "experimenting" with army lists.......normally AB files don't prevent doing a what if roster........unless the what if roster(s) aren't legal within a set of rules for whatever game system(s) you are using. ;)

Bortus
29-06-2005, 20:11
Army builder is a great tool and I absolutely love using it. Sure does take away all that time to write it all down plus I can sit back and look at it on screen when I create an army and make quick changes instead of rustling around with a bunch of papers.

Neknoh
29-04-2006, 22:37
There are many models of armylists which I have either seen or used, and here are some tips to make tidy ones which looks good.

1. ALWAYS include your Unit Champions in the unit count to avoid confusion.

2. Keep the units and heroes within their different categories and don't mix and match, it is a difference between reading:

Aspiring Champion+goodies

Unit for Aspiring Champion

Another randomly picked unit

Exalted Champion + goodies

Unit for Exalted

etc.

So, try and list all the Lords first, then heroes, then core, then special and lastly rare, you don't have to label the different sections though.

3. Try and keep them clean by doing one of the following:

Unit/Character type (#of models should be included before the name if it is a unit).
- equipment+command, finnishing off with points (avoid this method if the unit/character has no options upgraded

or

Unit/Character type (#of models should be included before the name if it is a unit), equipment+command, finnishing off with points

What I suggest you avoid is the following:

Unit/Character type (#of models should be included before the name if it is a unit).
Equipment nr1
Eq. nr2
Command
etc.
4. Do not post points for each individual item and/or upgrade for the unit and label Full Commands as just that, Full Command, not Champion, Musician, Standardbearer.

5. Good measure is to include the ammount of Casting and Dispell Dice along with total points and models at the end of the list, listed as a ladder unlike the units:

Total points...
Number of Models...
Power Dice (or PD)...
Dispell Dice (or DD)...

Here is an example following the guidelines above.

"Crom the Conqueror... 230 pts

Exalted Champion of Chaos Undivided
- Hallberd, Shield, Amulet of Chaos... 151 pts

Exalted Champion of Chaos Undivided
- Hallberd, Barded Chaos Steed, Bloodhunt Horn... 150 pts

5 Knights of Chaos Undivided
- Full Command, Warbanner... 240 pts

16 Warriors of Chaos Undivided
- Full Command, Hallberds, Shields... 285 pts

Chariot of Chaos Undivided

6 Warhounds of Chaos... 36 pts

6 Warhounds of Chaos... 36 pts

25 Marauders of Chaos Undivided
- Lightarmour, Shields, Full Command... 200 pts

25 Marauders of Chaos Undivided
- Lightarmour, Shields, Full Command... 200 pts

5 Marauder Horsemen
- Flails, Musician... 81 pts

Hellcannon of Chaos... 270 pts

Pts total... 1999
Models in army... 96
PD... 2
DD... 2" *

Other nice additions to the description of units can be to mark Special rules and basic options in their own row, followed by the magical items in the next like this:

"1x Chaos Lord: Khorne(405pts)
*General, Chaos Armor, Juggernaut
*Chaos Runeshield, Great Fang" **

If you want to speed up the process of making a list, you can do something along the lines of the following example if you have multiple units which are identical:

"2x20 Dwarf Warriors w/ Sheilds & Musician/Standard Bearer 430"***

So, there are loads of ways of writing nicelooking lists, and I have barely scraped the surface.

Sources:
* Neknoh, The Kurgans of Crom the Conqueror, at the Herdstone Forum
URL-link: http://s2.invisionfree.com/herdstone/index.php?showtopic=6315
URL-link visited the 29th of Aprill

** theDarkGeneral, The Four Horsemen of Khorne, at the Herdstone Forum
URL-link: http://s2.invisionfree.com/herdstone/index.php?showtopic=6302

*** Daggoth, Dwarf 200, Is it good?, at the Herdstone Forum
URL-link: http://s2.invisionfree.com/herdstone/index.php?showtopic=6313

jimbo
24-10-2007, 12:52
I'm cunfudled :(
It doesn't work on my computer :(
What do I do????

chaos-nightwing
25-10-2007, 09:42
what do u mean by it doesnt work on ur computer. u can't find it or u dont know how to work it?

FurryMiguell
02-11-2007, 11:56
I do all my armylists in Microsoft Exel. Its easy, looks tidy, and the PC does the calculating

jimbo
06-01-2008, 20:23
I dunno how to make an army, I can name it but it just starts off with this random army all the time... Help?

Aragrez
19-02-2008, 22:06
Aye Microsoft Exel user here too:) It looks neat.

eshin's claws
21-05-2008, 21:28
does army builder cost money ?

Warlord Broken spear
13-09-2008, 13:10
yes you have to buy it usualy form a store

fxxa7x
22-01-2009, 08:32
ok. I never use it anyways.

Valek74
06-02-2009, 05:55
Does anyone know if Army Builder works on Macs?

bob_the_small
01-04-2009, 17:56
It should work on any computer...

bullshiz20
12-08-2009, 02:58
I do all my armylists in Microsoft Exel. Its easy, looks tidy, and the PC does the calculating
I like the excel idea and most ppl already have excel or can get it.

Zaszz
11-06-2010, 19:22
I always found these kinds of software to be excessive, and actually slower then just setting up an excel spread sheet. I have it rowed out with a Name of Unit, Number of Models, Cost per Model Basic, Additional Costs per Model, One Time Upgrades, and Total. Then at the bottom it calculates the total for the army. Its very easy to plug in the numbers, like Ogre Bulls, 6 Models, 35 Basic Cost, 4 Points extra for Xtra Hand Weapons on each model, and 20 Points for a single upgrade of a standard. Then I leave room on the right to describe the upgrades. Hell I even have it set to be color coded by unit type, and it all prints on one horizontal aligned page very tidy.

It took me less then 20 mins to set up the template and now I can make army lists very fast. With the programs I tend to find too many bugs, and typos etc in how the rules for a given army book or codex are coded.

Maybe its just personal preference but it's hard to argue with yearly purchases of Army Builder, versus Open Office being free forever.

If your are wondering how to set up totaling for each unit by the way its "(Number of Models X (basic cost + upgrades per model)) + one time upgrades"

Emerald371
22-07-2010, 23:25
Thats what i already do!

LionoversusKingkong
27-07-2010, 22:38
The website says you can download it as well as buy it from a store.
But it costs $40USD :eek: which for me is slightly excessive.

Cloudfish
06-02-2011, 23:15
$40 seems a bit much tbh =/

stubbyadams
22-02-2011, 12:35
Has anyone tried using Battlescribe? I considered AB but really didnt want to spend the money on it since I would rather be buying units, and searching around I found this. Comes with instructions on setting up your own catalog files with the appropriate rules and all the editors are available if you find a mistake which I did with the WoC version of the data file, but other than that it seems pretty cool. Nothing flash, but might suit people who maybe arent as good with excel or like experimenting with many different army lists.

Just a suggestion.

Draagyn
31-05-2011, 11:12
Yeah it cost 40$, but it's wort it.
Much easier to calculate the army points, and gives a better overview of troops, magic items etc.
Try the demo first, it's for free.
I will recomend it.

matthewmayer
16-09-2011, 15:13
Or you could go and get this;

http://www.ogrestronghold.com/forum/index.php?topic=20767.0

It lets you post nice clean army lists.

Edit: I might add its free!

Cheers,

Matt

KennyS
31-10-2011, 23:52
Army Builder doesn't work on macs.

LinkinparkChaos
20-12-2011, 03:29
thanks! I will try my best to post accurate info

azleculdum
06-02-2012, 00:16
hi im not sure this is the best place to ask but how do i start new posts on here as would like some views on my army lists

Hillel
11-12-2014, 23:47
cool list but I would not do two mages of fire