PDA

View Full Version : Silent Hunter 3 and other sim games (submarine, racing, aircraft)

Sprue Rubbles
16-06-2005, 06:39
I'm addicted to Silent Hunter 3 mostly because it reminds me of how much I miss playing very "realistic" oriented games like Falcon 3.0, Grand Prix Legends, Harpoon 4, et. al.

Has anyone here played Silent Hunter 3?

What are your favorite sims?

Emperor's Light
16-06-2005, 08:08
Sadly, my computer is actually too slow for Silent Hunter 3 (according to the box.) I find that a bit hard to believe for a sub game, but there it is.

The last sim game (and I'm not talking The Sims and that crap) I played was IL-2 Sturmovik. It's a pretty involved game. I finally learned to take off and land an IL-2. That was about it. I tried flying a mission as a Stuka pilot and I couldn't even find the target. :(

My favorite military sim of all time has to be Red Storm Rising from the early 90s. It was a World War 3 hypothetical sub sim. Cold War sub sims are definitely thinking men's games. It requires a lot of patience and a lot of thinking ahead.

Sprue Rubbles
16-06-2005, 17:32
I have a 1.7ghz 512MB RAM and an ATI 9600 128MB and it's not as smooth as I like. It recommends 1GB of RAM which I think would make the biggest difference. The graphics are really really good (and the sound, the atmosphere, etc.). There's quite a bit of slowdown when I accelerate time to 1024 times normal.

IL-2.... I have the game but I kept crashing into the ground because of the crazy torque steer. I was also using a wheel/pedal set so I'm just waiting to buy a proper flight stick. That and Falcon 4.0 are two that I have that I really want to play.

I've heard of Red Storm Rising, but never played it. There's another subsim called. Dangerous Waters and it looks like a pretty detailed modern subsim (published by the guys at Battlefront):

http://www.battlefront.com/products/dw/

Emperor's Light
17-06-2005, 00:12
Battlefront publishes good products. There's a demo. I'll have to play it when I have more time.

McBain
24-06-2005, 19:38
im waiting to try the demo, i love the idea of realistic sims but other than panzer elte, IL2, combat flight sim and lock on thats as far as i got...... i liked panzer elite but i didnt get to play it much as i got morrowind at the same time.