PDA

View Full Version : ORKZ! Im gonna collect em, and I know little about them...

Goq Gar
16-07-2006, 23:36
ORKZ! Im gonna collect em, and I know little about them... (ooh deja vu)

I need to know:

How do they work, What's a good starting army, what are the strengths and weaknesses of the army, and would my plan work:

('DA PLAN!) Wave of green. As many angry, smelly, swearing, green bodies I can get, but with all the necessities. I've heard its not possible to get anything better than BS2 in an ork army, I havent read the codex well enough to remember many rules, but Im pretty sure you can reroll shooting with an ammo gretchin...? Well any advice at all, please post, thx!

RampagingRavener
17-07-2006, 00:02
I ain't played Orks much (well, ever, though my first game is later today), but generally I think the best option is to just load up on as many mobs of Slugga and Skar boyz as you can, kitting them with Rokkits to take shots at vehicles as they slog into combat, with a handful of buggies, tankbustas, and shoota boyz to give covering fire and Trukkerz to get in quickly to tie up dangerous elements of the enemy army.

Toppan
17-07-2006, 06:10
might i suggest this thread
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33080
read it in its entirety and you will be a better warboss then ever imagined.
it is possible to have some bs3 orks if you play feral orks or the snakebite klan, but i really wouldnt suggest ferals. I play them, and you really miss out on a lot of cool orky stuff. Snakebites are a bit better though. Read about the klan roolz on the GW UK website.

shasoneroon
17-07-2006, 06:30
Dont spend your time worrying about low saves! They go squish easaly. Numbers are your friend. you can only kill so many things in 6 rounds and with nine-gillion units on the table you can often force a points win.

Unless you are faceing blast templates. Then I wish you the best of luck.

Latro_
17-07-2006, 11:17
Copied from a thread that was Copied from a thread i posted on a while back.

Right my guide to orks:

All close combat nobs i mean ALL should have a choppa and power claw. Sinc they are hidden in the unit they will on average kill more enemy than the rest of the boys unit!

3 Killa kans are more value than a dread.

Always try and get a trukk squad in there for an initial quick assault to tie the enemy up.

Always max out on weapon upgrades in boys squads and go with the same weapon. e.g. 3 big shootas, 3 rokkits

Never give foosloggin boy units burnas! BS's and Rokkits start making their pts back alot quicker!

121 warboss is a default opion in my orks lists
eavy armour, cybork body, bionik bounce, big horns, power claw, choppa (think thats it)
3+ save 5+inv has he option to dish out lots of PC or Choppa attacks.

looted bassie is a bargin.

Stikk bombas, kommandos, lootas(generally) are a total waste of pts

A big mek with a KFF is almost another no brainer. Center him with a unit of 20 boys.

Protect boys with grots or mek with KFF as much as you pos can.

just a few of my tips...

RampagingRavener
17-07-2006, 11:34
3 Killa kans are more value than a dread.

This is something I never really got. To me, squardrons of vehicles, especially assault-based Kans, are kinda stuffed by the "Abandonment" rule, where if one vehicle is stunned or immobalised, if the others move on then it gets destroyed. All you need is one stun a turn (something that's easier with the Kans lower armour) and you can either hold the whole Kan Mob back, or watch as it tears itself to bits. I'd rather take the more armoured Dread, which can just march forwards without worrying about stuff like that-if its stunned, it's stunned, and that's it.

Latro_
17-07-2006, 12:41
Aye thats some valid stuff about the abandonment stuffe. I dont worry about kans getting held up though the chances of ork walkers ever seeing combat in my experience is very low anyway.

one of the benifits of the squadron of them is that at times you can hide truks and mobs behind them :P

I'm going off my kans, thinking of another truk mob or some more grots.

The Grand Wazoo
17-07-2006, 12:50
..., kommandos, ... are a total waste of pts

I quite like Kommandos, actually... A squad of 10 with Rokkit Boy and Rokkit-armed Nob is only 125 points, and more often than not(in my experience, anyway) they take out enemy armour right away. Plus, they can tie up enemy units in close combat, giving your other squads time to move up unmolested.

Infiltrating Orks, starting closer to the enemy than the rest of the Boyz... what's not to like about that? :D

Kriegsherr
17-07-2006, 12:55
As i'm a shooty ork player, I might be biased, but my advice is:

As many big shootas in the army as possible!

Then some tankbustaz or buggies with rokkits.

If you still have points, start to worry about choppaz and klaws.

Orks are so good in combat, they only REALLY need choppaz and klaws against MEQs.

They dish out like mad, don't be fooled by their low BS.

Unless you are faceing blast templates. Then I wish you the best of luck.

As long as you have enough room to spread your orkzez, blast templates and ordonance is laughable or not that bad (in the case of ordonance). Spread them out as long as your movin them and only start to pull them closer together when you're about to assault.

Latro_
17-07-2006, 15:14
I quite like Kommandos, actually... A squad of 10 with Rokkit Boy and Rokkit-armed Nob is only 125 points, and more often than not(in my experience, anyway) they take out enemy armour right away. Plus, they can tie up enemy units in close combat, giving your other squads time to move up unmolested.

Infiltrating Orks, starting closer to the enemy than the rest of the Boyz... what's not to like about that? :D

I must say since i wrote the above i have invested in a unit of kommandos since the new models are great! I think they'll be worthwhile in CoD. I have 7 with a burna and nob with power klaw.

Ironhand
17-07-2006, 15:30
Considering that the new Ork Codex is due out next summer, I think I'd hold off collecting too much until you see the new codex and its changes. I've gotten burned more than once when a Codex changed and I wound up with stuff I couldn't use.

Da Reddaneks
17-07-2006, 19:47
nah, buy your orks now. join the waaagh! you will have more fun playin orks over the next year than you will have playing any other army. and even when the codex changes you will still have uses for everything you buy.

Not buying orks because they are coming out with a new codex a year from now would be like not dating girls because your not ready to get married. Play your orks and have fun!

and seriously come join the warbosses over in the who loves orks thread. there are a lot of good warbosses over there who can be a lot of help to those who are trying to raise a waaagh!

WarbossKurgan
18-07-2006, 11:07
I have to agree with Reddaneks - it doesn't matter how much the new codex changes Orks as they are so non-standard in appearance most Orky gubbinz can be used as "something else" anyway.

Shokk Attack Gunz for example - they were dropped in 3rd ed but you can still use the models as Kustom Mega Blastas.

Goq Gar
18-07-2006, 12:02
Woot! Thanks for all the advice guys! And I will, right after this post, start talking on the who loves orks thread.

Im gonna start with a basic army this summer (The basic stuff cant change much, can it!?) And from that either grow to include Alot more green, or alot more CRAZH, DAKKA, SHTOMP! Kans and dreads. CoD!!! GET READY!!!

MadJackMcJack
18-07-2006, 12:20
Shokk Attack Gunz for example - they were dropped in 3rd ed but you can still use the models as Kustom Mega Blastas.

I used the spinny gubbins to make a Kustom Force Field :D

Goq Gar
18-07-2006, 21:32
Well anyway, I need an idea of what to get when I get back to scotland. WHAT DO I GET TO START MY WAAAGH!? Apart from lucozade.

I need an Idea what to buy. The starter kit looks okay, but Im hoping to get more bodies than anything else, so I need alot more gretchins and boys.

RampagingRavener
18-07-2006, 21:41
I'd suggest getting a Warboss, three boxes of Boyz, and a Rhino so you can convert it into a trukk. You can build that up so you end up with a Warboss, 10 Trukk Boyz and their Trukk, 16 Shoota Boyz, 16 Slugga Boyz, and 16 models left over for you to convert into Nobs and boyz with Rokkits or Big Shootas.

After that, add a Dread/Kanz, and another box Boyz to convert into Skarboyz or Ard Boyz. That should give you a pretty good core, after that try grabbing up some Buggies for extra fire support.

Goq Gar
18-07-2006, 21:59
Grrr, its times like this I wish I had the codex. No matter, tommorow it will be mine! If I get the codex here (not to mention some boxes of boys) I should save about 2 quid per box, and 4 quid on the codex!

Kriegsherr
18-07-2006, 22:33
If you have access to bits, buy lots of kan big shootas and rokkits to convert some special weapons. Is worth the extra work as the old special weapon orks just look odd compared to the very good looking plastic orks.

Latro_
18-07-2006, 23:11
Get one box of boyz and paint them all up. That way you'll know if you have the time/want to do a full ork army as it is alot of cash/time/effort.

and paint your characters last! always! by the time you have painted 50+ boyz you'll be soo good at it the characters will look great.

RampagingRavener
18-07-2006, 23:41
I dunno-after wading through the first mob or so, I reckon you'll get bored stiff painting all the same, and doing a character or a vehicle can break the monotony up wonderfully.

But then again, I hate painting. ;)

MadJackMcJack
19-07-2006, 07:04
Aye, that's probably the biggest downside to Orks, the sheer amount of painting. I tend to paint some boyz, then something like a kan or a nob, then more boyz, then more fun stuff. Should finish off the last of my 'ard boyz soon, then it's off to get me a russ!