PDA

View Full Version : 2,000pts of Forest Spirits

Gen.Steiner
18-07-2006, 00:28
Hail and well met, Fantasy Denizens! I come to you bearing a Stillmanite army list for a Forest Spirit army. Comments and criticism welcome, but - first - a little background on Stillmanism:

From White Dwarf UK #221, Spirit of the Game, pg 61

Here's the bit I'm interested in:

Nigel Stillman is well known for playing in the spirit of the game. This is his personal opinion of the ultimate spirit of wargaming.

- Pick your army to just under 2,000 points. [Done!]
- Write down the roster and never amend it again. [Almost done...]
- Make sure it fits the background. [Done!]
- Collect and paint the army, give it three coats of gloss varnish then never touch it with a paint brush again. [Doing...]
- Give every character and regiment a name. [Doing...]
- Do not even possess extra or alternative units, just stick with what you've got. [Doing!]
- Make a carrying case that fits the army exactly. [Will do]
- Fight every battle with the same army and never change anything in it. [Will do]
- Fight in big games with just your 2,000 points, and to hell with the odds. [Definitely! :D]
- Never vary or change your army in any way, resist all temptation. [No problems there]
- Model every magic item on the character who carries it, no matter what it is. [Spites? Arrrgh! Alright then.]
- What you see in the army is what you get - take this literally. [Certainly!]
- Always give your opponent the benefit of the doubt. [Mais oui!]
- Who cares if all your opponents know your army composition by heart? [Not me...]
- Let the only surprises be your deployment and your tactical moves. [Run away! :p]
- Shrug off defeat, learn the lessons and keep on practising, play for the fun of playing. [Only way there is in my experience]
- When you win, the excellence of your generalship will be beyond doubt. [I should coco!]

Having been inspired by Stillman's ethos ever since reading those words, I decided to finally bite the bullet and follow them to the letter. So the list which follows is the result (note; names to follow)...

The Guardians of the Darkwood of Tyrka, the Living Forest:

Lord:

Treeman Ancient with the following Spites inhabiting his branches:
An Annoyance of Netlings,
A Murder of Spites,
A Befuddlement of Mischiefs;
A Pageant of Shrikes.

Heroes:

Branchwraith with the following:
Level 1 sorceress using the Lore of Athel Loren.
The Branchwraith has the following Spites inhabiting her branches:
A Blight of Terrors.

Level 1 sorceress using the Lore of Athel Loren.
A Resplendence of Luminescents;
A Cluster of Radiants.

Level 1 sorceress using the Lore of Athel Loren;
A Muster of Malevolents;
A Lamentation of Despairs.

Core:

Eleven Dryads with the following:
Razor sharp talons;
Branch Nymph.

Nine Dryads with the following:
Razor sharp talons;
Branch Nymph.

Nine Dryads with the following:
Razor sharp talons;
Branch Nymph.

Special:

Three Tree-Kin with the following:
Branchlike limbs;
Tree-Kin Elder.

Three Tree-Kin with the following:
Branchlike limbs;
Tree-Kin Elder.

Rare:

Treeman with the following:
Gnarled fists.

Total: 1,999

The Branchwraiths sit inside the Dryad units (the Terror-causing one in the largest), the Tree-Kin go on the flanks, the Treemen in between the Dryads, and there's a general advance...

Tree-Kin / 9 Dryads / Treeman / 11 Dryads / Treeman A. / 9 Dryads / Tree-Kin

Thoughts? Is it viable? What, if anything, should I change? Bear in mind the theme and the Stillmanite philosophy underpinning it...

Death3965
18-07-2006, 05:34
may i suggest using dryca becuase shes pretty good and less that a treeman ancient and ive played against army like this except with dryca and they do really well but thats my oppion so do what ya want

Sinew
19-07-2006, 13:59
The Resplendence of Luminescents is really rubbish for a branchwraith, whose attacks are magical anyway. All the models in your army have magical attacks so this really is a waste of 25 points.

I think it's rare that you'll get more than about 7 Dryads into base to base contact, so units of 9 are possibly a bit large. One large unit to try to take advantage of fear isn't too bad an idea (though I seriously doubt you'll make it happen that often) but I'd drop most units down to 8.

Gen.Steiner
19-07-2006, 14:15
Ranked up, a unit of nine Dryads with a Branchwraith has a frontage of five models. The extras are there to soak up casualties.

Good point about the Resplendence..., I'll use that to bung in an extra two Dryads. If I drop the other units to eight each, that frees up enough points for seven more - which is one less than the unit minimum for Dryads. :(

Any ideas?