PDA

View Full Version : Tau and New Worlds

mattmanforever
18-07-2006, 19:17
I'm theming up my Tau army to be a world acquired in the second phase, possibly third. Either way, I was wondering how Tauish the idea of (for lack of a better word) terraforming is. Would Tau take a world and figure out what was best for it, or would they fiogure out what they need, and then get a new world that had a reasonable potential to be made into that if no perfect world could already be found?

Kegluneq
18-07-2006, 20:08
The Tau favour worlds that are similar to their homeworld (i.e., arid and hot), but they will still try to colonise any reasonably habitable world. If a world isn't especially Tau friendly (for instance, the Vespid planet) they'll make political links, making the planet a formal part of the empire. They wouldn't terraform it for two reasons: 1) they couldn't: it's a huge enterprise that would take decades at the very least 2) the Tau may use force to take over countries, but they have no intention of displacing populations, which terraforming would certainly do.

Goq Gar
18-07-2006, 20:14
Nah, at most they might help the planet's agriculture, maybe clean up the pollution.

Usually they make, as stated, political ties, and trade. They might put an orbital station into orbit to defend the planet if it is in danger, or they might even garrison it with troops. At most, they would colonise the planet in coordinance with the planet's inhanbitants.

Captain Optimus Metallus
18-07-2006, 21:08
2) the Tau may use force to take over countries, but they have no intention of displacing populations, which terraforming would certainly do.

Says who? The Tau on Nimbosa set about systematically exterminating the human populace on that world. Depending on the situation, and assuming they had the ability to do so, then they probably would exterminate an alien race in order to terraform a world which they'd like to plant some colonists on (If the planets populace are completely opposed to the idea of submitting to the Greater Good, for example). After all, they're wasting that worlds resources. Resources which, as far as the Tau are concerned, would be better used in service to the Greater Good.

Kegluneq
18-07-2006, 21:33
Says who? The Tau on Nimbosa set about systematically exterminating the human populace on that world. Depending on the situation, and assuming they had the ability to do so, then they probably would exterminate an alien race in order to terraform a world which they'd like to plant some colonists on (If the planets populace are completely opposed to the idea of submitting to the Greater Good, for example). After all, they're wasting that worlds resources. Resources which, as far as the Tau are concerned, would be better used in service to the Greater Good.
Good point - they will get rid of a resident population if they oppose utterly the concept of the Greater Good. However, this is not their preferred option, as it would be for just about any other army.

But by terraforming, do you mean significantly changing the environment of a planet to suit their needs? Because to be honest, I don't think the Tau have the resources to do that either. At best, they'd decamp a group of colonists from another species, if it's unsuitable for Tau life.

mattmanforever
19-07-2006, 00:58
No, it's not large scale terraforming. Essentially, my Tau found another desert world, similar to Tau, but it was decided it'd be better off as an agriworld,orthe Tau equivalent thereof. As such, it's in the process of, and is currently rather savannah-ish. There wasn't much in the form of sentient aliens there previously, so that moral crisis is avoided.

My main question was more, would the Tau change a world physically to fit their needs, or just find a new one that better fit what they need, and find some use to the planet that better fits what they were looking for?

Kegluneq
19-07-2006, 06:41
Why would the Tau need a large scale agriworld? It's not implied anywhere that the Empire worlds aren't self sufficient already. It seems unlikely that there's an inhabitable world somewhere that humans haven't got to already :p

If they did want an agriworld, I saresay they would do it. Irrigation is not, after all, major terraforming.

EarthScorpion
19-07-2006, 08:37
Indeed, the Tau slower-than-everyone-else's FTL (yes, they are calculated jumps) means that each world must be basically self-sufficent, due to the time taken for supplies to get to them. Moreover, Tau evolved on Tau, and thus if it is similar to their homeplanet why would they worsen conditions for them by changing the climate?

masecase
19-07-2006, 11:37
They don't have to be self-sufficient, because the dense cluster, which is the home and center of the tau empire compensates for the slow warp drive.

Kegluneq
19-07-2006, 11:59
Tau efficiency in all things (certainly superior to Imperial) means they wouldn't need agriworlds, though. The Tau population is not that large, even on individual worlds.

mattmanforever
19-07-2006, 13:59
It's settled then; they found a savannah world!

Born Again
20-07-2006, 02:00
Bear in mind Au'taal is listed as being a verdant jungle world, while the uniform for colour scheme for D'Yanoi is said to be for fighting in wet or swampy regions (and hence is presumably the dominant conditions on that planet).

mattmanforever
21-07-2006, 19:58
What point exactly is to be born in mind regarding that? Sorry if I'm not overly quickon the uptake.

Also, according to some economic theory, isn't it more efficient to dedicate an entire population (on this scale, a planet) to one task? I thought I recall somethinglike that from a Principleof Microeconomics class, but not having studied Economics past that, I submit to th wisdom of anyone who has.

Sephiroth
21-07-2006, 20:01

Bare in mind, the Commander who ordered that action was an extremist, whom was later recalled and censored for his actions.

Tanith Ghost
21-07-2006, 20:15
Brightsword also took excessive casualties against the Vostroyans toward the end of the seige of the major hive city, when his fire warriors got over eager and moved in too soon and as a result, were caught in a last ditch bayonet charge.

SPOILER WARNING- Do not highlight unless you read Kill Team

Brightsword was later assasinated by Lt.Kage.

Edit: Very true. Consider that oversight amended.

Sephiroth
21-07-2006, 20:22
Bit of a spoiler for those whom haven't read the book don't you think?

athamas
21-07-2006, 20:36
the tau are more likly to build growing farms, ie bi self containd building that function to grow food, possibly using nutrient baths and the like

this allows them to feed their population with relative ease if other methods are un availible

Kegluneq
21-07-2006, 21:47
Agreed. If any race has turned to hydroponics it would be the Tau - it fits in well with their neatly ordered, ultra hightec society. Trade in foodstuffs probably exists, but I suspect it's more of luxuries than essentials. Can't have the Water Caste offering their alien clients cheap foodstuffs as a meal, after all.

thefirewarriors
27-07-2006, 11:49
I recall in the old Tau codex that the tau had established fishery colonies on the sixth world of the Viss'el system which was an ice covered waterworld.

Born Again
30-07-2006, 09:59
What point exactly is to be born in mind regarding that? Sorry if I'm not overly quickon the uptake.

Also, according to some economic theory, isn't it more efficient to dedicate an entire population (on this scale, a planet) to one task? I thought I recall somethinglike that from a Principleof Microeconomics class, but not having studied Economics past that, I submit to th wisdom of anyone who has.

Just meaning that Tau don't necessarily populate only desert planets.

mattmanforever
30-07-2006, 16:47
Ahhh, duh, it's so obvious now. Yeah, I had that in mind as well. As as update, the savannah world terrain is coming along alright. My biggest challenge thus far has been placing enough grass to make it look like something other than a desert while not placing so much grass that it's impossible to put models on the terrain.

As a related question, how important do you think camouflage is to the sept's color scheme? There's definitely a strong and consistent connection, but do you think there may be septs that go for simple, aesthetically pleasing colors even if they might not be the perfect camouflage? After all, camouflage based on your hoem world is only good on your home world, and my impression of the Tau is they're on offense more than defense.

harlequin21
12-08-2006, 21:14
Tau dont need to terra form worlds yet as they inhabit a region of space that has a large number of life supporting systems according to the fluff, on the camo thing i would say thier uniforms change from battle ground to battle ground and some camo schemes are decreed by the ethereals so the homeworld camo isn't a fixed affair it constantly adapts to the situation

__________________________________________________ ___________

A fleet of Imperial Navy battle-ships are the best negotiators

Sybaronde
13-08-2006, 12:06
I'm sure the Tau have mastered terraforming to such a degree that they can negate any polution from their cities or industrial areas, but as previously expressed in this thread, the need for total terraforming of a world seems like something that is not within their interest. Particularly since it might be cheaper to build self-sufficient and isolated atmosphere domes on 'hostile' planets if there are some resources there that they might want. Converting a whole planet to be a savannah world just so that they might mine for Titanium seems like a investment that will never pay off.

mattmanforever
13-08-2006, 20:51
But, come on! Lion King!

:wtf:

Seriously though, thanks for the input everyone.