PDA

View Full Version : Asuril's Eldar Sweetness Extravaganza Spectacular!

Asuril
19-07-2006, 06:47
Heya folks. I'll be updating this first post every once and a while, so be sure to check back every so often!

Introduction

My love for Eldar started back in 2nd Edition. My neighbor Jeff would routinely thrash my Black Templar army like you'd never imagine. I planned on starting one up in 3rd Edition, but was unimpressed with the rulebook. The forthcoming Eldar Codex seems to be a throw-back to the good ol' days so I've decided to make my own army.

Tactics and Army List

"Flutter like a butterfly, sting like a howizter" - Fable

I own the 3rd Edition codex, but I cannot bring myself to make an army (on paper, of course), as it's just so damn dated. Furthermore, I hate guardian swarms. So, basically, I won't even have an army planned out until I actually get the new codex. Needless to say, it'll be Aspect heavy. I'll update this part here with an army list later on.

For now, here's a sample list of things I'm planning on including in the army:

HQ
-Farseer
-Autarch (Probably converted on jetbike)

ELITES
-Fire Dragons in Wave Serpent (or in Falcon, depending on numbers)
-Howling Banshees in Wave Serpent
-Harlequins

TROOPS
-Dire Avengers in Wave Serpent
-Dire Avengers in Wave Serpent
-Guardians w/ Platform
-Guardian Jetbikes

FAST ATTACK
-Shining Spears
-Warp Spiders or Swooping Hawks (Depending on Opponent)
-Vyper Jetbike (2-3?)

HEAVY SUPPORT
-War Walkers (2-3?)
-Wraithlord
-Falcon/Fire Prism [possibly magnetized to swap between either]

So, yeah... not very exciting, and very "One of Everything". Once I have the codex I'll be able to tailor this potential list into something a bit more tactical and characterful. I would like to divide the army into 2 fully self-sustaining parts. One fully mechanized (Jetbikes and Tanks) to secure objectives, flanks, table quarters, and to kick some ass, and the other the foot slogging second-punch-K.O. (with support from the Walkers and Wraithlord), and possibly even some wraithguard.

This is (obviously) going to be both point and $$ heavy, so I'm going to start with the basics. A Farseer, some Dire Avengers in a Wave Serpent. Then a trio of War Walkers. Then some Banshees in a Serpent or my Jetbikers. And I'll go from there. This'll allow me to keep the army playable and balanced and gradually acquire more over time.

The Look

Being an ex-Space Marine player and a firm Space Marine-hater I know the worst thing possible (imho) is to use a generic or flavor-of-the-month color scheme or chapter/craftworld/hive fleet. So, the fun part was to make my own color scheme!

One thing I kept in mind when designing it was that I got incredibly bored painting marines and tyranids. I like there being contrasting and flashy colors, as well as have options to mix-and-match the locations of colors throughout the army.

Here's the initial paint up:

Paint Concept! (http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/3186/paintscheme15nn.jpg)

So far the reviews have been mixed. As IncubiLord pointed out, it's a very busy color scheme. I'm still working it out, too.

I was incredibly inspired by "Ancient God's" Alaitoc Army, and I'll be using his method for my wraithbone. Ancient God's Alaitoc Army (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34349) However, I'm not the best painter, so I'll be learning as I go. ;)

Status

Keycode:
Green - Completed!
Blue - Base Coated / In Progress
Yellow - Owned/Assembled
Red - Planned Purchase

----

Guardians - (10) - Basecoated 55% finished
Support Platform and 2 Crew - Assembled
Wave Serpent - Awaiting Magnetization
Guardian Jetbikes - (5) - Assembled
Guardian Jetbikes - (6) - Untouched
Dire Avengers - Awaiting Release

Recent Progress and Notes

Rare Earth Magnets rock! My platform is fully magnetized to swap out it's weapons. Very cool! I'm going to do the same with the Wave Serpent (and all future vehicles/characters/exarchs).

Cad@veR
21-07-2006, 00:34
Looks promisig but ya know we're gonna need more pics to make thing out more clearly!

BTW what do you think on finishing off the base...?

Keep up the good work:)

Asuril
21-07-2006, 02:44
Good question.

I've been trying to figure out exactly what I want the base to be. I'm thinking a mix of grass and semi-urban terrain. I'd like it to be fitting in both City Fight and in normal 40k. Soo..... static grass and grey sand? I dont have any basing materials out with me (I'll be picking them up when I go home).

One thing I do know is that I'll be keeping the rims black! This will be a new look for me (I've always done green or brown for the rims). I think it'll give it a more artistic touch and it'll help outline or frame the miniature.

Having some issues shading the bone, but I've put in some highlights. Still no gold paint though. Gems are basically done and I've started toying with a fast effective method for painting the other guardians, and I'm starting assembly on the rest.

In regards to the photos, someone recommended I use a very fast shutter speed with the motion-capture setting. Someone else mentioned upresing a bunch and then just cropping it in photoshop. I tried that with no luck, but I'm still learning.

Thanks for the reply Cadaver!

Asuril
21-07-2006, 04:38
DOUBLE POSTED!

My brilliant girlfriend got the pictures working out. She took the time to RTFM. Oops! :angel:

http://img55.imageshack.us/img55/430/dscf0293ex4.jpg

http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/33/dscf0296oc3.jpg

Ta da!!

Now, bring on the posts. :p

Kotobuki
21-07-2006, 04:44
To be entirely honest, I think the highlights on the blue are way too bright, and the white chest piece Is a bit distracting. The white weapon and antennae are good though. Also, the red seems a little orange in the pictures. Though that could be down to lighting.

TheSanityAssassin
21-07-2006, 04:51
Nice! I like the effort put into that armour...looks all...shiney and alien.

Now are you planning to keep one scheme for your Guardians/Tanks/Seers and do separate schemes for your aspects, or are you going to keep the army with one scheme?

I found doing mine that to keep all the "Craftworld" units one colour and then do the aspects different, but still keeping one unifying colour in the armour worked really well. I just painted a little bit of Enchanted blue onto each aspect warrior, comprising anything from undersuits to certain armour plates to simply sashes or pouches on others, and it looks quite striking arrayed out on the field, and I'm not even that good of a painter.

Asuril
21-07-2006, 05:32
@ Kotobuki; check out page 246 of the 40k rulebook. The dire avenger on the right hand side was part of an inspiration for a slight change I made while painting the mini's from the original concept sketch. That's why the highlights got so bright. I might toy around with it a bit when I paint the rest of the squad and see if I (or you guys!) like the less-bright highlights more than the white. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

Also, you are right in that the bone chest might not be such a good idea on normal soldiers. Maybe I'll save it for leaders, etc. For the first batch of the squad I'll include it, but it'll probably vary between the units.

Oh, and the red is supposed to be pretty orange. So I'm glad it looks like it. ;) I wanted a gradient from dark red to a bright orange. Orange is a complimentary color to blue, so it works a bit better than pure red.

Also, I'm glad you like the light colored weapon and back-pack-bits. Thanks :)

@ Sanity; Thanks for the compliments! I will probably keep these basic colors for the tanks and weapon platforms and stuff. I tend not to like Eldar armies that are too varying across the board in terms of color, so I will do my best to unify them when possible. That said, each will get it's own pattern and scheme. Dark Reapers will have a duller, darker blue and very little red or orange. Howling Banshees will probably have a base of red and orange with a smattering of blue here and there. Scorpions... maybe play up the black a bunch?

These are just some ideas. I'd love to hear everyone's recommendations. The worst thing I could do is make everything look hum-drum with the same ol' thing. Eldar's not about that at all. :)

Thanks for the comments, guys.

MIGHTYPanhead
21-07-2006, 10:10
neat idea with playing up a certain colour. Perhaps, keep one colour consistent through the whole army (say... the blue arm/leg/back) and replace the others (chest/helm/gun) with the prominent colour.

so, say, for fire dragons, they'll ahve the blue in the blue areas, but the gun/chest/head will be red. Scorians green, reapers black, banshees bone, etc.

I would suggest keeping the guardians/tanks all the same though.

but, just ideas. Like what I see so far! keep it up! :)

asmodai_dark86
21-07-2006, 12:16
Hmm I dunno.

Its a lot of work for rank and file. I'm currently doing an eldar army myself and working on it like hell so it looks perfect, but mines all red - that kind of work with this kind of color scheme seems a bit over kill.

Why not have the bone color on the other chest piece and the helm, with the face part in the orange? That way you could paint up a whole squad without getting fed up - you can always come back and do a squad or two in different colors (whats with the matching eldar these days anyway?)

TomKamakazi
21-07-2006, 14:31
Thats a tasty paint job there Asuril! I love the colours, but I'm not sure about the single orange chest plate.

One concept that I was bouncing around (I never really got to implement it when I first did Eldar) was to have the "craft world" unit in one colour scheme (blue with white and black details) and a another set of colours uniform across all of the aspect warriors (black with red and blue details).

Just enough blue in the aspects and black on the guardians and tanks to tie them together while keeping them fundamentally different.

Asuril
21-07-2006, 23:20
@ Asmodai:

The nice thing about being a poor college student is that since I can only afford to buy a unit/tank every 3 months or so, I have plenty of time to make it look pretty. Sure it's a lot of work, but I do this as a way to rest my eyes from the harsh glare of a computer screen after days of writing Game Docs. ;)

Good ideas for swapping up the colors across the different units- a bone helmet sounds like it could work well. Thanks. :)

@Panhead:

I like the idea of bringing in the Aspect's standard color into the unit. I'll have to toy around with it a bit, because not all colors look nice with all colors. :-P

@TomKamakazi:

Very cool idea, too. I think I'll end up using a mixture of all the ideas so far, and keep the Blue in all of the units somewhere, and then have the main color vary between white/bone, black, and orange/red, depending on what they are. Tanks and vehicles will follow the guardian's scheme. Howling Banshees will probably get red as their focus, Swooping hawks will get a lighter blue and white scheme, Dark Reapers will use Black as their main, Striking Scorpions will use more of the torqouise (found in the gems from others) and lots of blue, Wraithguard/Lord will probably have the Bone as their focus, and Dire Avengers will be a slightly different version of the Guardian's armor, but very similar.

I might drop the bone chest plate from the rest of the guardians and turn it into red.

Thanks for the help, guys.

I have a meeting tonight with the dev guys, but afterwards I'm looking forward to doing some painting. :)

Asuril
01-08-2006, 11:14
Small little update. Squad's about half-finished or so. I've been awfully busy, but I'm still pluggin' away at it.

In the mean time, I'm having a rough time deciding what Heavy Support options I want for my future army.

I would really like a squad of 3 walkers, simply because they're the most amazing mini's I've seen. I also want a Wraithlord or two, for the same reason.

Problem is, I ALSO want a fire prism (or two!) and a falcon (or two!). Not to mention Dark Reapers, who are freaking awesome!

So, any advice?

EDIT:

Okay, I've made my second purchase- a Waveserpent. As soon as my local store gets a new stock of the plastic support weapons, I'll be picking one of those up too. I've also ordered some rare earth magnets, and I will be using them in all of my heavy weapon pieces, as well as whatever else I want. ( :) )

So, until I get those magnets, my WS is staying half-assembled. It's all primed and I'm painting sections of it, however. So I am making some progress.

Wraithbored
15-08-2006, 05:25
Niiice work there, keep it up, hope to see some vehicles soon!

sodapopinski
22-08-2006, 18:12
I like it! its good to know im not the only one who likes eldar to have a predominant color scheme over the aspect warriors.

My eldar force non aspect colors are black, grey and orange (they look pretty nice without much effort) i havent painted the aspect warriors as i dont know which colors to swap for their ritual colors, i want them to be coherent with my army but unique and contrasting... ah its a hard work to paint minis...

Nice job Asuril, I hope i can see some aspect warriors soon so i can get a few ideas!

Asuril
24-08-2006, 00:17
Thanks you two!

Hopefully I'll be getting a batch of mini's from an old friend, so I promise, soda, that the first thing I'll do is paint up a batch of some sort of aspect warrior!

If not, then when I get back to my apt on saturday, I'll photoshop some basic ideas I'm having to hopefully inspire you too. :)

Thanks for reading!

Kommie
24-08-2006, 01:17
That is a sweet paint job, i like the mix of colors and cant wait to see some more of your work =) keep it up !

The Judge
24-08-2006, 10:40
Oh, so many pretty Eldar armies coming out the woodwork. Sweet stuff here

Asuril
28-08-2006, 18:38
Okay guys, a few updates.

I'm back home, so expect pictures within the week. Painting time!

I also pissed off my girlfriend and bought 11 jetbikes off ebay for a decent price. Sorry to whomever out there might also have been bidding on them. I have less money than you, so consider it charity that I won. ;)

With all these minis racking up, I think I'm good for purchases for now.

So, in your opinions, what is the best way to configure my 11 jetbikes? Save 5 of them for a mounted Warlock/Seer squad? I prefer foot slogging councils, myself. I might just save 1 for an autarch conversion.

I suppose with some bretonnian lances (that I have) I could turn a few into some shining spears... I'd rather not, though.

god octo
28-08-2006, 19:22
i would just use them as normal jetbikes, though you wont be able to use them all at once.

Asuril
28-08-2006, 20:05
Yeah ya can, multiple squads. :)

edit:

Especially in the upcoming codex. Point drop and troops choice, don't cha know.

sodapopinski
05-02-2007, 23:56
Friendly reminder to make you update the log

Asuril
08-02-2007, 15:02
XD Sorry, hope I'm not really disappointing anyone. Eldar are on a pause for a bit, cos they're boring as hell to paint, while I indulge my inner flip-flopper and pursue hopes of a Warhammer FB army.

Thanks for caring, though. :) Maybe I'll finish a unit or two and post some images for you.

dave is the best
08-02-2007, 15:36
I love your scheme.

Dave.

Anardakil
08-02-2007, 21:33
Great painting on that guardian! And original colour scheme. I wanna see more. Chaos marines are boring as hell too, but I've still painted 1100pts of them. So you hafta paint your models too! XD