PDA

View Full Version : No Left Handed people in the 40k universe?

RomanCommander
19-07-2006, 21:34
I just realized that I do not have any left handed models. What happened to left handed people in the 40k universe?

Lies!
19-07-2006, 21:41
Some of the plastic Orks are lefthanded. (I think its one set of shoota arms and one or two sets of choppa slugga arms per sprue.)

I guess Marines are 'rewired' to be codex righthanded for tactical reasons.

Cant remember if Dark Elder plastics had lefthanded guys(last time I had any was when I bought the 3rd edition box when it first came out, so its been a while

t-tauri
19-07-2006, 21:42
Most lefties are trained to shoot right handed in the modern military as the ejection mechanisms are set up to put the spent cases away from the firer. All historical figures are shown as righties since all organised armies trained their men right handed, even back to Roman times.

Presumably there's some reason for the IG to train their men the same way with lasguns. Drill? Convention? Power cell reloading or safety switch location on the standard lasgun?

Fluff would have it that the SM boltgun's ejection mechanism is adjustable to go either way but since marines are able to shoot with either hand that doesn't matter.

Lies!
19-07-2006, 21:44
*Edit* Woops double post.

...Um...I agree with T-Tauri good enough reason why the more diciplined races are all righthanded but Orks arn't.

Duel_Crisis
19-07-2006, 21:52
Usually models show a normal unit within an army.

Rypher
19-07-2006, 22:01
Striking Scorpions and Howling Banshees. Swords (the main weapons) are shown being held in the left hand.
Some powerfists are also on the left hand

Kegluneq
19-07-2006, 22:02
I'm left handed, yet feel the lack of lefty love in the Tau army :( (No masturbation jokes, please.) It is vaguely possible to modify them to be lefty, but pretty much every arm doing something is the right one.

Marines are almost certainly rewired to be ambidextrous - preference for a particular hand is probably just due to how they were trained.

The Inquisitor characters have a few lefties amongst them, so it's not as if the gene has somehow been eradicated by then. Pity we don't see it more in 40k - think of the potential for easy to build dual-weilding characters!

Most lefties are trained to shoot right handed in the modern military as the ejection mechanisms are set up to put the spent cases away from the firer. All historical figures are shown as righties since all organised armies trained their men right handed, even back to Roman times.
'All' historical figures? A lot of monarchs have been left handed, although some were only loosely connected to military training (Bonaparte and Charlemagne, for instance). Apparently Julius Caesar and Alexander the Great were also left handed, although I'm not if the sources for those are wholly reliable.

As for firearms, I believe soldiers are only trained to shoot right handed in countries where the rifle of choice is either a bullpup or has a non-deflecting ejector system. The M16, for instance, can be used by left handers as empty cases will be deflected away from the shooter's face.

MadJackMcJack
19-07-2006, 22:54
'All' historical figures? A lot of monarchs have been left handed, although some were only loosely connected to military training (Bonaparte and Charlemagne, for instance). Apparently Julius Caesar and Alexander the Great were also left handed, although I'm not if the sources for those are wholly reliable.

If they were on a horse, the hand they used didn't matter, as they could simply turn the horse to bring their sword arm to the enemy. However, infantry in organised armies fought right-handed because in a tight formation, a right-hander and a left-hander standing next to each other would leave a gap in the sheild wall, and the phalanx needed right-handers, because one left-hander could disrupt the whole formation.

Of course, more chaotic armies like the Gauls just used whatever hand they wanted.

hood_oz
20-07-2006, 00:02
I'm left handed.

Excellent! Add me to the list of soth paws as well. ;)

As for firearms, I believe soldiers are only trained to shoot right handed in countries where the rifle of choice is either a bullpup or has a non-deflecting ejector system. The M16, for instance, can be used by left handers as empty cases will be deflected away from the shooter's face.

In Australia, our standard Steyr rifle can be easily switched for left or right handed firing.
As can most of the squad automatic weapons.

My minis are mostly right handed, but I convert the odd one or two to be left handed. Just to give them more realism.

Antaeus
20-07-2006, 00:06
If they purge psykers, xenos and mutants, surely they gub all the lefties as well. Bloody well should. Freaks.

;)

bugbait_nz
20-07-2006, 00:15
hoody is right about changing the ejector port on some modern weapons, having hot brass in you face or down your back is not fun.

Have a look at the Space Wolves Blood Claws, they have lefties.
Lefties link (http://oz.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.oz?do=Individual&code=99120101011&orignav=10)

Bugbait out

revford
20-07-2006, 08:20
If they purge psykers, xenos and mutants, surely they gub all the lefties as well. Bloody well should. Freaks.

I'd have to agree here, being sinister is a sign of the mutant and the witch and would lead to being burned as such by the Inquisition. :-}=

Have a look at the Space Wolves Blood Claws, they have lefties.

More evidence of the mutant being sinister.

The Emperor Protects (those who are right handed)

lapis_lazuli
20-07-2006, 17:17
I just realized that I do not have any left handed models.

And herein lies the beauty of the wargaming hobby: convert 'em! ;)

x-esiv-4c
20-07-2006, 17:18
No lefties, they all went through the Belgian public school system.

Kegluneq
20-07-2006, 18:09
Or became Arbites (the only other non-mutant Inquisitor character I can remember who was a lefty...).

I suspect the Tau may at least have been designed with the capacity to be converted - their right arm has the same armoured plate holder as the left, after all...

n00bLord
20-07-2006, 18:24
I was a lefty, until I broke my elboe and became amberdextrious! Most of my Chaos Marines are lefties.

Kymar
20-07-2006, 19:25
This has come up before (I can't seem to find where though) and it was said that most GW model artists are lefthanded and have a tendency to create lefthanded models. Also it was said that many marine models used to be lefthanded, but they were standardised to righthanded to fit expectations.

Being a lefty myself, I'm always happyto see lefthanded models. Perhaps that's why I like my eldar so much?

Goq Gar
20-07-2006, 19:31
It turns out all left handed humans became heretics in the heresy, and all died before retreating to the eye.

Orks only have right handed boys, its how they are, all orks grow that way.

Eldar and dark eldar have learned to use both hands, Tau aswell.

Space marines are genetically trained to use their right hands, as their genetic upbringing focuses on making the right arm stronger.

Necrons are all identical.

Witch and daemon hunters think left handed people are heretics, so they purge them.

Tyranids dont have hands.

(Note these arent official explanations, just the ramblings of a 16 year old scotsman, I have nothing against Left handed people and have no idea why there are no left handed models, probably because it's easier to keep the models simpler to forge by keeping them all one handed, my dad is left handed... I hope he doesn't meet a witch hunter)

n00bLord
20-07-2006, 20:13
Tyranids do have hands. Rending claws mind you. Necron lords are not similiar to their underlings. They retain a deal of their former selves before becoming metal. Space Wolves and Chaos Marines use melee weapons in the left. You wouldn't need your stronger arm for shooting. Orks have left handed models.

inq.serge
20-07-2006, 20:19
Space marines are ambidextrous.

IIRC, real life inq.s in the dark ages claimed that being lefthanded is a sign of being a heretic, and so is to have a zip on your nose.

anyone can become ambi, you just need to train a lot. (I am going to try)

Anyone who claims that DaVinci was left handed gets a mental groinkick by me! he was right handed! (exept his last year alive, because his right hand became paralyzed)

Hey! haven't you noticed that Right (i.e. I am right handed) is spelled exectly like right (i.e. Inq.Serge, you're damn right!)

ashc
20-07-2006, 20:24
Hey! haven't you noticed that Right (i.e. I am right handed) is spelled exectly like right (i.e. Inq.Serge, you're damn right!)

And left is spelt just like 'OMFG you MUST be a heretic for writing that way!' :p

Have you noticed occasionally gw artwork crops up with lefties though? i noticed a big pic in the forgeworld anphelion project book with a termie with left-handed assault cannon and right hand chainfist which amused me.

on the slightly off-but-on-topic, a chap at work found some left-handed scissors today; very weird to use, never seen them before, and i AM left-handed! (well, ambidextrous).

As

Lostanddamned
20-07-2006, 20:25
Left is Sinister in latin...

The romans trained out left handed ness.

I use my right arm to write but my sword arm is my left arm.

inq.serge
20-07-2006, 20:36
Sword arm?

I dont have a sword arm, i use the Katana!

yes, i forgot that left meens that.

but it dosent have to meen evil.

some "radical" real-life inq.s claimed that feminine comes from the word fe minus (latin for low faith) and is the reason why females becomes witches (acording to other inq.s, they where wrong). (every one knows that witches are all-female is because when a person, male or female, becomes a witch, the devil turns them into females. )

how ever, who cares which hand some uses, aslong it kills.

Lostanddamned
20-07-2006, 20:38
When I say my "sword" arm it holds other weapons too.

Just take it as the arm doing the beating

EDIT:XD thats not how i meant that to read.

Gaz
20-07-2006, 20:39
Once left handed people have been eradicated, the inquisition will hunt those with ginger hair :P :D

Norminator
20-07-2006, 20:48
My goodness the Space Wolves are mutants - they are left handed and ginger!

To be honest it's easier to convert with all models being right handed, as the weapons will fit the same way round on all models.

MacB
20-07-2006, 20:57
Well, ok, it's not 40K, but all Khemri archers are lefties.

n00bLord
20-07-2006, 21:39
Well I guess were all heretics. Left handed models, right handed models... Why don't they just make it where they all have tentacles and no one has to worry.

Cheatah
20-07-2006, 22:14
No lefties, they all went through the Belgian public school system.

Errrr... what?

I'm from Belgium and even I don't get it... (could be because it's late...)

EDIT: and IIRC there are some lefty arms on the assault marine sprues... then again, they carry two weapons but one of them has to be the preferred one and should be carried by their "sword"-arm (I don't necessarily mean their chainsword).

EDIT2: anyone who has read "The Da Vinci code" should know that women/witches/heretics were associated with "left"/sinister by the early christians and regarded as evil just to have people renounce their gods of nature/fertility/whatever. Hence the meaning of "right" = "just".

USABOB
21-07-2006, 10:43
I found this article amusing:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left-handed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left-handed)
I particularly like this line:

Its basic premise is that left-handedness is due to brain damage during the birth process.

With models I prefer them to use their right hand for guns and left for ccw (unless they have a shield, then I prefer the ccw in the right hand). But if it is a hassle to convert it I'll leave it as is.

ionfish
21-07-2006, 10:47
The new Striking Scorpion Exarch holds his Biting Blade in a left-handed stance.

ffclubhero
21-07-2006, 11:01
As a lefty, I tend to notice things like this as well. So I rectified the situation by arming more models as lefties, or with weapons in both hands (ala Hong- Kong- style- action flics).

I won't even get a thread started on the lack of ethnicities. :rolleyes: That was an easy fix as well. ;)

Tonberry
21-07-2006, 11:10
*stupid question alert* How do you tell if a model is left or right handed, do they hold the melee weapon or the ranged weapon in their strong hand?

Kegluneq
21-07-2006, 11:53
I'd imagine holding the melee weapon in the stronger hand would make more sense - it requires greater dexterity to use, after all. It depends on which weapon you expect to use more, I suppose.

Quin 242
21-07-2006, 12:42

;)

My thought as well.. Purge the heretics!!

Fiver
22-07-2006, 02:01
I had always supposed, aside from the obvious that it is easier for GW to model and cast kits if they presuppose right-handedness, that there was a simple reason for the lack of lefties. One word...

Design.

Spacemarines (both loyal and not) are designed, Orks if you dig into the old fluff enough are designed, Tyranids are obviously designed, necrons are designed, Ok guard might represent a step away from design in the 40K universe (although the bulk will be righthanded anyhow, them being human), eldar have an excuse not to be righties, tau have no reason to be lefties since there are strong hints that someone has tampered with their design. I could go on, but the theory goes that if you were designing an entire species as your soldiers, why not make them all one hand or the other if it makes little other difference, as then you only have to design more basic weapons to go with them.

Just my 2cents.

starlight
22-07-2006, 02:17
Once left handed people have been eradicated, the inquisition will hunt those with ginger hair :P :D

<starts covert movement to save as many redheads as possible>

:angel:

Kotobuki
22-07-2006, 04:16
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/kotobuki99/wh40k/Vengence/cap_028.jpg
The old Techmarine from the command squad is quite obviously Left Handed.

Suri_Mapother
22-07-2006, 04:31
It is vaguely possible to modify them to be lefty

Who in the world would waste the time doing that?

Chainsworded Codpiece
22-07-2006, 04:48
Who in the world would waste the time doing that?

Hey, now. Be nice.;)

I'm a lefty, and ...oh, wait. I don't give a rat's ass.

I mean, yeah, I notice, but it's something I can switch if I feel like, much like I can switch heads, and paint more interesting non-"anglo/nordic" skintones when I want, et cetera, et cetera.

This is the one area where I don't think there is a problem worth threading this much. Do ya really feel that there needs to be a "pro-sinistrous" discussion?

Convert, baby, convert! Change over one-in-ten models! Or make half the damned unit with a weapon in each hand! Who knows what recessive traits will arise by M41 and become "normal" on whole planetary systems? Maybe the whole damned population of Segmentum Solar is left-handed...okay?

Hey, remember, the original Crimson Fist Emblem was a LEFT Fist!

We're not being left out. Really.

Mantan
22-07-2006, 05:02
ok... Space Marines are ambidextrous.

Anyways.... it's just because it's easier to sculpt plastic sets one way instead of having to have alternating arms. Also, you could just look around for some lefty models, I'm sure you'd find one.

t-tauri
23-07-2006, 11:47

That's all historical wargaming figures. I'm unaware of any organised army miniature figures shown as lefties. Even Caesar would have had his sword in his right hand, otherwise he'd break up his ranks.

Tom
23-07-2006, 19:46
Southpaw here. I actually don't change hands over that much (though my captains are always lefties, like every single creatyed charsacter for RPGs I do)