PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Wood Elf pointers (not talking about spears)

Seth the Dark
20-07-2006, 19:48
I'm pretty new to the Fantasy game and I am looking to go with a witer themed Wood Elf army. What would be some things I should not miss at all?

Highborn
20-07-2006, 23:51
Dryads and treemen sleep during the winter. If you're building a winter-themed army for the fluff ... leave them out =) Personal gripe.

I think Treekin and Wild Riders are sorta ok though ... from memory, Treekin are spirits that inhabit dead trees and Wild Riders patrol the glades waiting for Orion's awakening in spring.

Fluff be damned, then remember that maneuvrability is king. Almost every choice is either a march blocker (warhawks, great eagles, waywatchers, glade riders) or has a bonus on the charge (wild riders, wardancers, glade riders, warhawks). Unfortunately, your best combat units are also skirmishers or fast cavalry who can't negate rank bonus or won't be able to in less than two months (wardancers, wild riders, glade riders, dryads and to some extent waywatchers and warhawks).

What that adds up to is that you'll have three units that can be relied on to take a charge and fight on (treekin, treemen, eternal guard with character). I personally use Glade Guard, because ones the battle is joined they're nothing but bait anyway, and every treekin I don't take is worth 5 dryads.

Your lifeline is an Alter Noble, with Helm of the Hunt and Hail of Doom arrow. BS6, S4 can remove a unit of enemy fast cavalry that would otherwise be a pain, and 5 WS6, S6 attacks on the charge will take apart most enemies on the charge. He'll still lose to combat res, but remember what was mentioned about support? ;)

Something that was written somewhere else, can't remember who or where but strikes me as especially relevant now - if you're not spending the majority of your time in the Movement phase, you're doing something wrong.

Wood elf magic needs to be defensive - anything that dispels or gives more dispel dice is good.
Wood elf shooting has been moved to a supporting role - we're now one of the hardest hitting armies on the charge, our long ranged archery has taken a fall and our short ranged archery kills.
Wood elf combat should be short and sweet - do enough damage to ensure the enemy gets hardly any attacks back, win the combat and break them.

bleh. Rant over. This was way too long for a first post anyhow ;)

Wreckage
23-07-2006, 22:00
I'm pretty new to the Fantasy game and I am looking to go with a witer themed Wood Elf army. What would be some things I should not miss at all?

I would take no forest spirits at all in a winter list. To make the list really work then its going to end up with a Highborn, a noble carrying the battle standard, 2 mages for defense, 2 blocks of eternal guard who will be core and stubborn with a reroll due to the above character choices, and 2 units of glade guard for missile support. The rest is more open, but still limited to glade riders, scouts, wardancers, warhawks, waywatchers, and eagles.

I disagree with highborn an the alter hero. Considering 7th edition, he will not be such a "beat-stick" anymore. (no more targetting restricitions on independent characters) I personally havent had much use for him in 6th.

The rumor that fast cav wont be able to negate ranks in 7th has, to the best of my knowledge, been thoroughly debunked. Fast cav will still be good next edition.

shadowprince
24-07-2006, 00:36
If your going winter its scouts. Wildriders are lethargic, and Dryads and Treeman are dormant.

Especially in the winter things such as scouts, wardancers, warhawk riders, are big.

I find for Wood elfs a surround the enemy, and then divide and conqure work well

god octo
24-07-2006, 08:41
well, some dryads may be awake- see the WE army book and the fluff about kimmler- but eternal guard will proabably feature heavily. Wardancers are also fearsome, so use them, but not in tiny groups of 5.

Highborn
25-07-2006, 05:08
My love of the Alter hero comes from S6 with an 18" charge. Against the right targets, he'll at least make his points back, although keeping him sheltered in 7th is going to be an issue.

The popular arrangement may have to sacrifice Helm of the Hunt for Briarsheath, or (more likely) Hail of Doom Arrow for Briarsheath. You'd lose his ranged threat, but 18" charge range will mean most units will be hitting him on a 6, and an 7 if you keep him in a wood (4+ for BS3, -1 for long range, -1 for briarsheath, -1 for briarsheath in a wood). Two rounds of shooting shouldn't dent him too badly, (one as he pops out and a second for the stand & shoot reaction if he charges).

In a winter army, I think he'll want the Alter. Otherwise, without forest spirits, your highest strength attacks are S4 from Glade Guard Longbows at short range or Wardancers/Glade Riders on the charge. Heavily armoured enemies like Chaos and Bretonnians will suffer against the Alter where nothing else will really hurt them (besides heroes with other suitable weapon setups).

I know I'll keep using my Alter through 7th, although his effectiveness will be reduced slightly as I have to hide him from enemy shooting until he's ready to come out.

Wreckage
25-07-2006, 14:06
The popular arrangement may have to sacrifice Helm of the Hunt for Briarsheath, or (more likely) Hail of Doom Arrow for Briarsheath. You'd lose his ranged threat, but 18" charge range will mean most units will be hitting him on a 6, and an 7 if you keep him in a wood (4+ for BS3, -1 for long range, -1 for briarsheath, -1 for briarsheath in a wood). Two rounds of shooting shouldn't dent him too badly, (one as he pops out and a second for the stand & shoot reaction if he charges).

Well, you would have to sacrifice the helm since both the helm and sheath are magic armor. :)

He does sound viable I suppose, and hopefully the enemy would be lured into firing at him, to little or no effect.

Highborn
26-07-2006, 00:57
I'm just worried about the lack of effectiveness. 7th appears to be pushing bigger infantry blocks (characters hiding in infantry will become the norm, and the size of blocks is forced up, forcing the number of blocks deployed to go down). Against infantry blocks, there'll often be a champion next to the mage, and that'll kill the Alter's effectiveness as a mage hunter. He'll be left purely as support, and as a support unit he can be targetted by archers and killed. Which leaves him the not-so glorious role of 'decoy' :P

the dark angel
31-07-2006, 11:55
a lord on stag with light armour shield ,the spear of twilight,arcane bodkins and stone of the crystal mere is a good lord combo as for troops id go glade gaurd (if only if eternal gaurd where plastic id have 3 blocks of em :D)lots of em and a unit of eternal mabey for larger games, BIG TIP never think wood elves to be full on shooty!as this is what many people think i would let the enemy get close and hit them with 2 units of wardancers and 10 wildriders and youll have the last laugh if the enemy runs of then shoot them down but shoot them whilst there coming!and consontrate your fire (2 or 3 glade gaurd units on 1 of his will make that unit come screaming at you then you unviel the wardancers in the forest who attack his flank then a unit of glade gaurd on the front!i could chatter all day on ambushes,and dont think they dont work because they do work,well i know after playing with them for 4 years:rolleyes:

Your Mum Rang
31-07-2006, 12:15
One thing that is fun to use every now and again is a centre of 2 Treemen and one Eternal Guard with BSB. VERY hard to get rid of. Especially if you also take Glade Riders and Wild Riders for flank charges!

Xavier
31-07-2006, 18:37
If you want a themed army, stick to the theme, dont cave into what you think will work well and be "VERY HARD TO GET RID OF". If you decide to do winter and stick to it, ill be very impressed, many people I know just take what they like and call it winter for the cool paint scheme.

As has been said, Eternal Guard, Warhawks, Scouts, Glade Guard and Way Watchers are the order of the day with anything forest spirit kept off the list.

As a good guide in the wood elves section of the GW site there is a link to a campaign that details each of the 4 seasons and their effects on the army in the campaign setting, for example, in winter forest spirits are stupid and some stats are reduced etc. Use this as a guide along with your own common sense.