PDA

View Full Version : 40k life expectancy

Goq Gar
20-07-2006, 20:28
No, im not talking about life expectancy in game. *cough* guardsmen *cough* 3 seconds *cough*.

I want to know how long different races live.

The orks, Tau, Space marines, Eldar, Im not too fluff educated, so Im not sure if there are immortal races. Do space marines age? Do Eldar grow gray hair? Discusssss!!!

SonofUltramar
20-07-2006, 20:39
I'm not sure if any race is truly immortal but any were it would be the Eldar. I'm sure you're aware that Tau only live for about 40 years or so, Orks who knows i don't remember ever reading anything about their lifespan.

In the Imperium lifespans vary tremendously from planet to planet for the average citizen depending on there technological level. Inquisitors have been recorded to live for up to and beyond 200 years through the use of surgery and drugs?

Marines on the other hand, don't think they have ever stated the maximum lifespan but i believe the oldest living Marine is Dante at around 1400 years old which makes people like Calgar and Helbrecht look like kids although Blood Angels are supposed to be the longest lived of all the Marines (A fact i find hilarious given there current rules, ah what a nice day, wait a minute... go bonkers and start a killing spree while living my Primarchs last moments then die). Stupid Blood Angels!

Goq Gar
20-07-2006, 20:44
*smacks forhead* stupid stupid ben (me).

I knew that, Tau lifespan x_x

Orks, I wouldn't imagine any live long enough to reach a life expectancy, even if they have one.

Id imagine space marines who die of old age would have like the most revered funerals ever.

Lord Dante
20-07-2006, 21:00
According to FG - Space Marines are immortal, they will never die unless killed...

Norminator
20-07-2006, 21:02
Remember though, FG is talking about preheresy marines, which are quite a bit different from 40k marines. The techno babble and superstition surrounding marine implants and induction must have caused the geneseed to degenerate over time.

A marine who could live for a very long time is a custodes, as they practically do sod all.

Lord Dante
20-07-2006, 21:04
Thats my job!

I wonder if Custodes are old vets perhaps put out to pasture

LordofTzeentch
20-07-2006, 21:07
I know in the first war for armagedon (pretty sure it was the first) it was said thrakka was about 60 years old so that gives some indication of how old they (orks) can reach

EarthScorpion
20-07-2006, 21:10
The Orks: Frankly, I think it is "untill it meets something bigger than it is". All orks seem to die in battle, so your average boy might be, what, 30-40, if that, but some warlords can be truly ancient

Craftworld Eldar: Not immortal, but exceedinly long-lived. Eldrad, before his death, was one of the eldest at 10,000. Again, the odds are that they will die in battle.

Kabalite Eldar: Life expectancy increases with rank, as you can get more souls which prolong life. The average Kabalite Eldar is probably shorter liver than the average Craftworlder, due to living in a more violent society.

Tau: 40 or so. However, there are the anomalies of O'shovah, Shadowsun, and the Propher of Tru... er... the High Etherial bloke in the new codex.

Humanity: I'm going to annoy calius, but, I can live with it by saying "depends on the world". Life expectancy roughly that of earth-equivalent tech-level. Life expectancy can be massively prolonged by drugs, but also due to temproral dialation casued by long peroids of Warp travel (you have lived through 200 years of personal time, but 700 have officailly passed)

Chaos: they can grant immortailty, but then again you may be aeten by something.

SonofUltramar
20-07-2006, 21:14
According to FG - Space Marines are immortal, they will never die unless killed...

Thing you have to remind yourself is that False Gods is set about 250 years into the Great Crusade and that some Marines weren't around at the start, in fact most of them including Loken weren't, the Halfheard is one of the few survivors from the Unification Wars, crazy salute and all. 250 years isn't that long for a Marine, Calgar has been Chapter Master of the Ultramarines for longer than that and he's relatively young for a Chapter Master?

As for the technology of the Marines the process for creating them more quickly was refined, they haven't been made "better", the main change is indoctrination and training and probably most importantly there equipment?

Crazy Tom
20-07-2006, 21:23
Orks are widely thought to be genetically immortal, having been designed that way by the Old Ones. They just keep getting bigger and nastier until someone kills them.

squiggoth
20-07-2006, 21:26
I remember reading somewhere that a regular Ork Boy's average life span is about 25-30 max, due to their hazardous habits (like fighting all day long and riding red bikes ;)). Warbosses live longer, because they are bigger and stronger, and guys like Ghazzkull, Grotsnik and Nazdregorwhatevertheweedybadmoonwarlordiscalled are truly ancient (for Orks, that is).
IIRC, during Rogue Trader, Orks were marsupial and when an Ork had reached the end of his natural life, he went into the jungle, dropped a litter of Ork whelps from his pouch and died. I think they've changed that piece of Ork fluff because Orks would have been extinct for centuries if they only reproduced at the end of their natural life. :p

Kegluneq
20-07-2006, 21:26
Tau: 40 or so. However, there are the anomalies of O'shovah, Shadowsun, and the Propher of Tru... er... the High Etherial bloke in the new codex.
Space Pope! Incidentally, Aun'shi at 40 was 'considered old for a Tau' - suggesting that the actual lifespan is possible a little longer, perhaps 50 as a typical maximum. Ethereals may be a little longer lived anyway, but meh.

Gondorian
20-07-2006, 21:33
On the subject of space marines,

I really like the part about them being immortal but due to their purpose they are doomed to die.
Also consider Luther locked in the tower of Angels (AVERT YOUR EYES IF NOT A DARK ANGEL) who must therefore have been kept alive since the end of Caliban.

Lord Dante
20-07-2006, 21:35
Isnt it said that Ulrik the Slayer is bloody old (forgets in his own old age just how old..)

And isnt Dante 1400 years old? thats going some.

And... Bjorn, now he was said to have even walked alongside Russ, whilst not tech a human anymore, still alive at 10'000 years...

Totem
21-07-2006, 00:39
And... Bjorn, now he was said to have even walked alongside Russ, whilst not tech a human anymore, still alive at 10'000 years...

Being supported by a dreadnought life support system doesn't count as living. All he is now is basically a brain in a big tank, while all of his vital organs' jobs are being done by the machine. So we know for sure that Astartes brains can live 10,000 years. As for the rest of them, who knows?

Khaine's Messenger
21-07-2006, 00:54
One SM was capable of living 10,000 years thanks to his sus-an membrane. Which just reminds me of several more elements of Eye of Terror that were rather...doubleplusungood, as they say. The last few thousand years may have been helped along by the Eye of Terror, though.

El_Machinae
21-07-2006, 01:13
I get the feeling from reading the fluff that humans have been bioengineered (way in the past) such that a lifespan of the mid 180s is possible. Inbreeding on planets and toxins would bring this down.

In the real world, we have constantly advancing medical technology (though it could go faster), which means that the life expectancy now is not the same as it will be in 20 years.

Indrid Khold
21-07-2006, 05:41
I agree with everything everybody has said, but wish to add these two things:

1. When an Eldar (possibly just the Farseers, actually) gets extremely, extremely ancient, they apparently crystalize in their Craftworld. Hence the "Dome of Crystal Seers."

2. Dark Eldar could hypothetically live forever, as long as they keep getting souls. Asdrubael Vect has been around since the Fall, and he's still chipper enough to kick ass on the battlefield.

Born Again
21-07-2006, 05:51
Yep, I'd be willing to bet as long as they get souls DE just keep on going and going. Orks much the same... when have you ever heard of an Ork dying of old age? If they don't get killed there's no stopping them. The Farseers crystallizing into the craftworld is correct, though it's not stated at what age this happens.

Krusk
21-07-2006, 06:01
I figure it's pretty amazing that any hiver can expect to live to 30 or 40 considering the sheer unsavoriness of living in some parts of a hive. Think about it, constant gang warfare, stupidly large amounts of pollution, back breaking labor, randomly violent Arbites, the various deranged mutant animals that live in the lower levels..... It's a wonder that anyone makes it to 30 at all.

Eulenspiegel
21-07-2006, 07:01
On Orks: I think it is entirely possible that noone, not even Orks, know whether they can die of old age or not.

Kensai X
21-07-2006, 07:10
Well, Orks could be immortal for all they know it's just extraordinarlily unlikely that they would live the long... Although, I think the oldest ork still around is Orkimedes or mayb it is Ghaz... Meh who knows...

Also I believe the guy who trained Dante from a scout is still alive...

Regular humans can push 400 if they have enough resources like inquisitors.

And the Tau probably have some sort of scheme to make it so that once Tau get to certain age the die of some disease or poison for the Greater Good, therefore preventing old Tau from lessening the society by living in welfare or something like that... That is why I believe all, but the most trusted commanders and Auns live for such short lives.

Sai-Lauren
21-07-2006, 09:29
Asdrubael Vect has been around since the Fall, and he's still chipper enough to kick ass on the battlefield.
Well, remember that he does go around in what is effectively a really, really big bath chair, and is it him kicking ass, or his nurses? ;)

Ghazghull's at least 100, probably closer to 150 (Yarrick was supposedly old during Armageddon 2, and Armageddon 3's about a century later, if not more).

Don't forget warp travel can affect a persons true age as well, so they may have been born 100 years ago real time, but only be about 60 in terms of personal age.

Krusk, I've always felt that hive gangs are more like mafia/yakuza soldiers than disaffected youths - they're the heavy mobs that the houses have to further their own ends, and allow them some form of plausible deniability when rival houses factories burn to the ground. But once they've done their time in the underhive, they can return home and they're given a position within the house structure depending on how well they've done.

Although I know I'm in a minority there, and it's a topic for another thread.:)

shaw3029
22-07-2006, 01:25
Well according to the horus heresy books, Space marines live forever. But there purpose is basically to die on a battlefield.

Orks live until they get killed, I doubt they die of old age, any ork that manages that is one hell of a lame ork.

Bjorn, although hes in a dreadnought was the one guy that russ left behind when he went off.

And Abbadon is still alive and kicking. Along with lucious. And lots of the chaos primachs, So they live forever. Although that might be chaos doing that, But Im willing to bet its not and space marines do live until there killed.

And the emperors, still "alive"

Eulenspiegel
22-07-2006, 01:51
And Abbadon is still alive and kicking. Along with lucious. And lots of the chaos primachs, So they live forever. Although that might be chaos doing that, But Im willing to bet its not and space marines do live until there killed.
You bet its "chaos doing that", for one the traitor primarchs still at large are demon princes.

I think we all agree that no "hard" reference on Space Marine life expectancy can be found. The Horus Heresy - books state "Astartes" as being immortal. We don´t know if this only applies to pre-heresy Marines or the recent ones, too. Also nobody can´t say if this is actually true ... there are some passages in the first book that imply that no Marine even got the chance to prove it.

Dante is the oldest still living Space Marine not in a Dreadnought (who don´t count anyway, being in statis most of the time).

Krusk
22-07-2006, 02:20
Sai-Lauren :
Most of the people used to do the dirty work, and insure plausible deniablity are going to be random, dissafected youth with nothing to loose :) The people in charge are going to be civilized to an extent, but most of the low ranking people are going to have short lives. And don't forget underhive gangers, which might actually outnumber the mid-hive ones.

Minister
22-07-2006, 13:47
Ghazghull's at least 100, probably closer to 150 (Yarrick was supposedly old during Armageddon 2, and Armageddon 3's about a century later, if not more).
Almost exactly 50 years between Armageddon 2 and 3.

unwanted
22-07-2006, 17:28
1. When an Eldar (possibly just the Farseers, actually) gets extremely, extremely ancient, they apparently crystalize in their Craftworld. Hence the "Dome of Crystal Seers."

I think this very specifically applies to Seers, and that the chrystalization occurs because of their prolonged exposure to the warp.

Why this happens I really don't know, but it seems to be the case that Eldar are pretty much Immortal.

And I do believe Eldrad Ulthran was quite a bit older than 10.000 years at the time of his ignomious defeat...

Twisted Ferret
22-07-2006, 18:28
Who is this Dante you speak of?

||-MARKO-||
22-07-2006, 18:37
on orks: life expectancy is A). too hard to establish, you cant exactly send scientists to track one - he'd at least try to kill you. if he fails to kill u, then its probably coz u killed him in defence!

B). dont really have a reliable one. they're constantly fighting, and so die quite quckly.

on imperial guard -
depending on warzone, about 15hours?

and finally, on necrons - practically immortal. well, theyre not mortal..... in some senses...

darknar
22-07-2006, 19:02
life expectancy ok lets take it the maxemeum life expectancy of a race

humans citazens 40 to 60 my best bet, maby 100 if they are ritch rouge traders

humans in position of power 2000 years is recorded somewhere in some of the novels but that is fanfic

adeptus mechanicus for as long as they feel like living for, they can even live inside other preists.

space marines genetics are built to live forever.(only ever die in combat)

ork genetics are built to live for ever(orks only ever die in war or vilonce)

eldar live for many thousands and thousands of years but there reproductive rate is greatly deecreesed.

tau 40 to 50 years

Champion of Biel-Tan
22-07-2006, 19:36
Didn't Eldrad lived very very long before the fall?

asmodai_dark86
22-07-2006, 20:23
Okay from what I've read, some eldar were around at the time of the fall or not long after (theres a bit about the youth wanting to go off in the codex because they never saw the fall).

Eldar Warlocks and Farseers crystalise (I suppose bonesingers, or any other psychics too) but theres no young warlock so it could be hypothesised that after an eldar walks several paths and becomes old he begins to develop psychic talent (and in turn if he lives to old age he'll become crystalised)

Orks.. I think its the natural selection thing. The strongest of the species become warlords, big meks, whatever, whilst the rest die out which can only lead to the increased strength of the race as a whole.

Tau are fairly young, which is perhaps why there so advanced (they cant afford to sit around for a few weeks...).

Abbadon and Bjorn the fell handed are probably the only ones that havent resorted to daemonification to be the oldest living humans. Whilst Abbadon is a chaos fella with all the blessings of the dark gods, and Bjorn is hardly ever awake, both remember the heresey - wasnt there some line about Bjorn awakening for the eye of terror campaign.

Man I miss Bjorn. Bjorn was cool *sighs, pines for 2nd edition again*

SonofUltramar
22-07-2006, 21:14
Abbadon and Bjorn the fell handed are probably the only ones that havent resorted to daemonification to be the oldest living humans.

First up i'm pretty sure Bjorn was discounted earlier as he's in a walking life support machine and is being artificially kept alive and as for Abaddon i was very sure that he was a clone of the first one and in fact he isn't just the 2nd clone he's the 13th, one for each Black Crusade he's screwed up?

And he had the nerve to call Horus weak, one attempt, almost killed The Emperor and once the Chaos powers left him asked his fathers forgiveness, fair enough.

Abaddon, whiny man who can't even take one planet?

Oldest living person in 40k, The Emperor, truly he is Immortal. Don't believe me, just read Horus Heresy 4 when it comes out, it will blow your mind!

Norminator
23-07-2006, 08:33
...and as for Abaddon i was very sure that he was a clone of the first one and in fact he isn't just the 2nd clone he's the 13th, one for each Black Crusade he's screwed up?

Where did you get this fluff from? I've never seen or heard it anywhere.

Don't believe me, just read Horus Heresy 4 when it comes out, it will blow your mind!

Now you're getting me excited :D

El_Machinae
23-07-2006, 18:15
humans citazens 40 to 60 my best bet, maby 100 if they are ritch rouge traders

I couldn't quote the source, but my readings leave me with the impression that the 'average' human has the ability to live until the mid-150's or so. I posit this is because humans had access to germline longevity treaments WAY back when, and their offspring are still benefitting.

By example, if I modified my germline, all my decendants would benefit from the treatment, even if their society fell back into a Dark Ages.

WLBjork
23-07-2006, 21:16
Dante = Chapter Master of Blood Angels.

Blood Angels are noted as being the longest lived of Space Marines - so Marines are definately not immortal anymore.

Bjorn may be one of the original Marines, and hence technically immortal; but his wound has forced him into life support so it's impossible to know.

Lord Dante
24-07-2006, 12:27
Where does it say BA's are not as long lived as other SM's? and if so - how come Dante is one of the oldest SM at 1400 years?

Norminator
24-07-2006, 12:52
Dante, he said that blood angels are longer lived than other marines, not shorter lived.

I believe that this was in an IA article, though I may be wrong.

Lord Dante
24-07-2006, 13:38
opps, thats my dyslexic bad... I read it as the opposite.

Perhaps BA inherit Sanguini's good looks? and so they 'look younger' ?
Personaly I think SM probably are immortal but the odds on anyone actualy living forever are so slim...

Only 10% of humans in the UK today die of old age... the rest is from illness.

Norminator
24-07-2006, 16:35
In the end though, what do you classify as old age? Most illnesses that old people die of are generated through old age, or because older people are more susceptible to them.

Lord Dante
24-07-2006, 17:11
I see them as two different things tho because babies can catch illness to... and they are young.

Body age in years is the age of your cells.

bertcom1
24-07-2006, 19:15
Space Marines are immortal in the sense that they live in good health, until one day, they are too slow to dodge the enemy.

As a Space Marine gets older, they get slower, as things like accumulated injuries, radiation damage etc have an effect. A slow marine is a dead marine.

The Blood Angels age slower than the others. So, they stay fast enough to survive for much longer than other marines.

El_Machinae
25-07-2006, 10:52
Perhaps BA inherit Sanguini's good looks? and so they 'look younger' ?
Personaly I think SM probably are immortal but the odds on anyone actualy living forever are so slim...

Only 10% of humans in the UK today die of old age... the rest is from illness.

Once aging is effectively stopped, like what they're trying to do with the mice in my signature, or what seems to happen withe the Blood Angels, then there is a %age chance that someone has the opportunity to live effectively forever (you can't 'live forever' any more than you can 'count to infinity' - but you can keep on living). If your probability of dying goes down over time (i.e., you get better protective measures) then your absolute chance of dying EVER is less than 100%.

You can easily eyeball this by realising that the better the Imperium does, the less likely it is that the Emperor dies.