PDA

View Full Version : The Emperor's final stand

Some guy (UK)
16-06-2005, 19:33
Okay, this ain't really background, and dont think of me as dumb.

IN THEORY, if terra was attacked (i know this would never happen) and push came to shove, could the emperor be put in a dreadnought (obviusly a huge one, maybe even titan size), to fight the enemy, you know, a last stand and all.

Or, would it be impossible, because of all the physkers he needs, and/or the emperor would be transported somewhere else and/or the golden throne is stuck where it is.

Ovbiously, this would be after all his guards had died and all, but im talking in theory.

Please, inform me,

Cya- some guy

malika
16-06-2005, 19:39
I dont think they can/want to do that to the Emperor, hence the reason why Terra is so heavily fortified.

Some guy (UK)
16-06-2005, 20:00
Year, thats always puzzled me, what is terra like? I know that most of it is cites and palaces etc etc. Though im always hearing about there are no seas and things of similar stuff, but i doubt this is true. obvioulsy lots and lots of orbital defences and big guns. So, what is terra like?

malika
16-06-2005, 20:02
Terra is one giant city, similar to Couresant (sp?) from Star Wars, heavily fortified, fleets defending it, defenses on Luna and Mars not that far from it

x-esiv-4c
16-06-2005, 20:03
Cities and hives. The oceans have boiled away and the earth is covered in metal and concrete.

salty
16-06-2005, 20:08
The last ocaeans boiled away during Horus' bombardment of Terra. Watch the beginning of the Fire Warrior game, with Tom Baker doing the intro. THAT is Terra, the big planet covered in lights.

Salty :)

x-esiv-4c
16-06-2005, 20:17
The last ocaeans boiled away during Horus' bombardment of Terra. Watch the beginning of the Fire Warrior game, with Tom Baker doing the intro. THAT is Terra, the big planet covered in lights.

Yeah, it's the best graphic representation you're going to find. An atmosphere mottled with defence craft.

malika
16-06-2005, 20:19
Any chance that we could download the film anywhere or find screenshots of it?

x-esiv-4c
16-06-2005, 20:22
It might be on the THQ website. If not, go out and buy the game. It's probably dead cheap now and it's pretty fun. You get to conduct boarding actions on Imperial cruisers, stuff like that. Don't expect an amazing game but there is a lot in it which is cool.

salty
16-06-2005, 20:24
Actually, I thought it was very good. But, on topic, if the Emperor was incarcerated in a Dread, he wouldn't be able to focus the Astronomican, and if he was killed again, it might go out forever. So no, the chances are, this would not happen.

x-esiv-4c
16-06-2005, 20:28
Although the Emperor as a priceps in a titan would give new meaning to "Imperator class" titan.

Thousandth Son
16-06-2005, 20:55
The best way that I can imagine Terra is surrounded by several hundred of the "Deep Space Nine" (from Star Trek for those of you who don't know) space stations. I know that they are much too small to really be given the "40K scale" that most 40K defence stations have. But it just gives me an image to use. :D

x-esiv-4c
16-06-2005, 21:37
In any case you won't been seeing a siege as successful as the one 10,000 years back.

Some guy (UK)
16-06-2005, 22:06
It would make such a cool movie or set of batttles though- horus's siege of terra or even a attack in the year 40000. Like the biggest star wars battle imaginable multiplied by a 1000. Wow! #starts to day dream#

x-esiv-4c
16-06-2005, 22:34
Every 40k player has had the same movie idea pass through their minds.

Typheron
16-06-2005, 22:50
it should be noted that appart from all the other big stuff the emp has between him and any would be invaders there are to uber titans in his throne room.

also i think that the emp aint really with it, theres not conciousness there any more since its spread out in the warp. Best guess is that his body is alive but his mind aint there anymore, the golden throne is the only thing keeping it that way. I think its safe to say that its a bit more complicated than a dreaddy

Hell's Angel
16-06-2005, 22:52
The Inquisitorial rulebook has some interesting fluff that suggests that they could restore the Emperior back to life, but that they wont do it. (They dont know what state his sanity/soul will be in, and there is the whole 'he is a god' thing to think about.) I imagine that people would be less inspired by a dreadnaught. "Alas, the Emperior... I knew him Horacio. He fought the greatest threat of all time, only to be later struck down by an autocannon... An ignoble fate indeed."

just
17-06-2005, 01:48
The Inquisitorial rulebook has some interesting fluff that suggests that they could restore the Emperior back to life, but that they wont do it. (They dont know what state his sanity/soul will be in, and there is the whole 'he is a god' thing to think about.)

No, they suggest that there are some factions of the Inquisition that thinks that they can restore him. There is a subtle difference and it is basically some of the idea behind those fractions. That despite the outward unified perspective, the Inquisition is divided and that it occasionaly has internal fights and struggles between themselves.

Johnny Bravo
17-06-2005, 01:58
Every 40k player has had the same movie idea pass through their minds.

Interestingly enough, not me. I'd prefer to see the Armageddon War given the movie treatment. :)

Alsiaie
17-06-2005, 02:22
Even though there is some representation of a physical body, the emperor himself is now just a psychic entity. I dont think it would be possible to have him use a dreadnought. If anything, there would be a massive holocaust of psychics that would form some kind of attack from the warp. Its even possible for the whole temple to act as a conduit of such power. Think of this power like an alpha psychic.

On another note I have also read stories of the emperor's existance.

1. In our current time he exists as a human. He is revived over and over until the human race is at its most desperate moment. This is when is reincarnated as the god emperor.

2a. After the heresy era, it is rumored that the emperor exists in both the 40k universe and the fantasy realm at the same time. Both realms are existing together but the fantasy realm exists somewhere in the eye of terror. Its almost like a second dimention. This is possible because the emperor is a pure psychic entity and is able to travel the eye of terror. Some think that certain events that happen in the fantasy realm is the emperor's doing.

2b .Some people say that the fantasy realm also affects the history of the 40k universe. This also ties to 2a. The emperor has thought to change certain events in the fantasy realm to bend the history to the 40k universe.

Incognito
17-06-2005, 02:27
The Inquisitorial rulebook has some interesting fluff that suggests that they could restore the Emperior back to life, but that they wont do it. (They dont know what state his sanity/soul will be in, and there is the whole 'he is a god' thing to think about.) I imagine that people would be less inspired by a dreadnaught. "Alas, the Emperior... I knew him Horacio. He fought the greatest threat of all time, only to be later struck down by an autocannon... An ignoble fate indeed."

No, they suggest that there are some factions of the Inquisition that thinks that they can restore him. There is a subtle difference and it is basically some of the idea behind those fractions. That despite the outward unified perspective, the Inquisition is divided and that it occasionaly has internal fights and struggles between themselves.

it should be noted that appart from all the other big stuff the emp has between him and any would be invaders there are to uber titans in his throne room.

also i think that the emp aint really with it, theres not conciousness there any more since its spread out in the warp. Best guess is that his body is alive but his mind aint there anymore, the golden throne is the only thing keeping it that way. I think its safe to say that its a bit more complicated than a dreaddy

So basically....

The Emperor is Terri Schiavo. :skull:

x-esiv-4c
17-06-2005, 03:13
So basically....

The Emperor is Terri Schiavo. :skull:

Yeah but Terri Schivo wasn't an astromonical beacon for half the galaxy.

swanson4969
17-06-2005, 04:39
According to the Inquisitorial War Series (the one that starts with Draco) the Emperor is still aware but his mind has shattered inot many fragments so he can keep everything running. Sort of like multiple personalities. Also je has cast aside his 'humanity' (compassion, emotion, love, etc..) so he could striek down Horus his beloved son.

b4d0m3n
17-06-2005, 06:54
Yes, the Emperor's mind fragments back into the millions of shamans and holy men who sacrificed their lives for his birth. In the novel, he gains enough focus to vaguely talk to Draco and let him know that he's there for the people, but that there are so many matters for him to attend to his many personalities are stretched impossibly thin across the Warp.

EmperorsChamp01
17-06-2005, 06:56
Yea back on topic. Well I think that if they where to make the emperor alive agian in a Titian or a dread they would have to make a new class of titans/dreads. They would be called the Emperor class. But i think that it would be stupid to bring him back. Like an IG on the ground would say praise the emperor and then the emperor would say Thank you. I think the main reason why they dont bring him back is because no one will believe you. He would be waliking with space marines and say you know im the emperor right and they would say Bull $h!T

Captain Blood
17-06-2005, 07:10
A little off topic, but there are Emperor class titans. They're the biggest titans to be built. Anyways, putting the Emperor into a titan would be like plugging any comatose patient in an ultimate iron lung/life support in, albeit one with supreme power, but the mind isn't there to really do anything.

Essia
17-06-2005, 07:11
Cities and hives. The oceans have boiled away and the earth is covered in metal and concrete.

without the ocean, can Terra have a atmosphere at all?

pnweerar
17-06-2005, 07:41
Yeah but Terri Schivo wasn't an astromonical beacon for half the galaxy.

That's what YOU think... :)

- Navin

Typheron
17-06-2005, 09:26

given that the imperium has colonised almost every kind of planet out there i dont think it would be too much trouble to ensure that terra has an atmosphere. Its probably mainly contained within the ventalation systems of the various super structres that cover the planet these days tho. Also the mass of terra will still have enough gravity to hold matter to its surface, look at Mars, no oceans there but it has an atmosphere. Its totally lethal to us but its there.

1. In our current time he exists as a human. He is revived over and over until the human race is at its most desperate moment. This is when is reincarnated as the god emperor.

not quite correct, in what would be the year 2005 in the 40k universe the emperor walks amoung humanity but is unageing. The shamens of old commited mass suicide to forge the entity known as the Emperor and since this time he has been the same person living in human scociaty untill it was time for him to lead humanity after the age of strife. I think.

Yes, the Emperor's mind fragments back into the millions of shamans and holy men who sacrificed their lives for his birth. In the novel, he gains enough focus to vaguely talk to Draco and let him know that he's there for the people, but that there are so many matters for him to attend to his many personalities are stretched impossibly thin across the Warp.

this i find fasinating, i assume its fully cannon givenb the books its in and the possabilities for the bits of the emperor to be pulling strings behind the scenes, reminds me of the deamons of the emperor thing from before the portent fall. Think im gonna have to read these books now if i can get my hands on them.

Wiseman
17-06-2005, 09:35
did any one save the daemons of portent, i always found it a good read

Lord Balor
17-06-2005, 09:49
Bah! Where's the fluff masters when you need them most! But yeah, the Emperor today would be walking around as a man forged from the death of all the shaman. Any action he got resulted in the birth of the Sensei whom like him are 'unaging', possing quite a fair bit of power, but unkowing of whom and what they are.

Now about the Emperor's Daemons...

salty
17-06-2005, 12:02
The Inquisitors of whom you all speak are the Thorians, so named because of St Thor. They think that the Emperor has vassals into the mortal realm, such as the various Imperial Saints, who he inhabits for a short length of time. Unable to hold him for any serious length of time, they inevitably die young.

They believe that Thor was such a vassal, holding the Emperor's spirit within him to combat Vandire (I hope I got that name right!). Soooo, they hunt for future possible vassals across the Imperium.

Other Inquisitors argue however that if the Emperor was brought back from the Warp, would he be the same person? And if so, would anyone believe him? It is likely that half the Imperium would believe he was the Emperor, and the other half would not, causing a civil war greater than the Horus Heresy. Also, if he comes back again, does that mean he could be killed permanantly? And how does he control the Astronomican if he is alive?

So, the simple answer to this thread, is no, the Emperor wouldn't be brought back.

TheSonOfAbbadon
17-06-2005, 13:12
I've read this whole thread and all I can think is "Hmm... Uber Titans..."

Gorbad Ironclaw
17-06-2005, 15:01
this i find fasinating, i assume its fully cannon givenb the books its in and the possabilities for the bits of the emperor to be pulling strings behind the scenes, reminds me of the deamons of the emperor thing from before the portent fall. Think im gonna have to read these books now if i can get my hands on them.

Actually, they are not canon in the least. Quite outdated in fact. Read them for the novelty value(although I thought they were quite poor), but they really don't deal with the same version of 40k as the one we are currently playing in. It's more RT than it's 3/4th edition.

Typheron
17-06-2005, 15:38
in that case what do pople think the emperors midstate will be like?

Some guy (UK)
17-06-2005, 18:22
Thanks for your help. Sorry if i confused you, but i meant if the emperor and his throne could be put into a titan, or is it too big and all. Of course they wouldnt actually put him in it, and he wouldnt be able to control it much (if at all). As i mentioned i meant in theory.

C Ya, some guy

plasmadaemon
17-06-2005, 19:33
But if Terra hasn't got any soil left, isn't it freezing in there?

Johnny Bravo
17-06-2005, 20:19
But if Terra hasn't got any soil left, isn't it freezing in there?

Repeat after me: "Suspension of disbelief". ;)

Nazguire
18-06-2005, 03:06
Repeat after me: "Suspension of disbelief". ;)

The Rule of Cool defeats most motions of reality in GW universes. :skull:

malika
18-06-2005, 14:11
reality sucks anyway, I think the 'rule of cool' can be good/usable to a certain extend...for example when they get overdramatic in the background like:

at the battle for planet BlaBla millions of Guardsmen fought against the forces of the Alpha Legion, after years of fighting the Imperium were victorious, but only 3 guardmen survived. The survivors were captured by the inquisition and were executed for being cowards...

Kjell
18-06-2005, 14:29
Besides, it's not entirely unfeasible to assume that Terra is loaded up with all kinds of tech that control temperature and/or climate.

Typheron
18-06-2005, 14:29
Sorry if i confused you, but i meant if the emperor and his throne could be put into a titan, or is it too big and all.

its way too big, most of the images show it atop a huge pyramid with cables running into said pyramid.

im guessing moving it is out of the question.

malika
18-06-2005, 14:31
The Emperor would die if he were to be disconnected

salty
18-06-2005, 14:40
Plus, as a piece of arcane, Dark Age of Technology gear, would the Tech Priests still know how to link it up into a Titan? Methinks: No.

Calgar
18-06-2005, 14:47
Terra is like one gigantic sealed hive city.

plasmadaemon
18-06-2005, 20:13
Terra is like one gigantic sealed hive city.

like a death star, but bigger?

but then it's not classed as a 'planted' anymore is it? ;)

Rabid Bunny 666
18-06-2005, 20:45

it depends on the soul/star child theory

malika
18-06-2005, 21:04
that is what would happen after he would die.

however that is a risk the High Lords dont want to take since they want to remain in power. Would they risk their power being destroyed just so they can test how cool it would be for the Emperor to control a Titan

Rabid Bunny 666
18-06-2005, 21:09
not that, but if the emperor dies, he could, in theory, be ressurected

malika
18-06-2005, 21:10
In theory...but there isnt any certainty on this, if there was there would be a way larger group who would support this idea

Rabid Bunny 666
18-06-2005, 21:18
but killing the emperor is heresy within the imperium

malika
18-06-2005, 21:33
true...but if the people would know that the emperor could defeat chaos and save humanity after death their views would change. Besides if that would happen the Emperor would rule humanity again and not the High Lords and their servants (including the Inquisition) hence they make up all this propaganda and scare the people.

Rabid Bunny 666
18-06-2005, 21:42
but its only a theory, would you risk destroying the imperium because of an idea?

Chuffy
18-06-2005, 22:12
like a death star, but bigger?

but then it's not classed as a 'planted' anymore is it? ;)

Yes it is, it still has a crust, an inner crust and a core, plus it creates its own gravity and is still composed of rock and soil.

Going back to the earlier discussion Terra would be all but impregnable to assualt, a huge city, the Imperial palace taking up half of the planet, huge defense lasers, Titan Legions, probably a couple of Ramelies Starforts orbiting the planet plus numerous other space stations, minefields, Imperial Guard Legions, the Adeptus Custodes...

Terra = teh ownage.

malika
18-06-2005, 22:24
The Necrons might pull it off, I mean they managed to land on Mars with just 5 Shroud ships or whatever they are called...can you imagine them attacking with a large fleet..bye bye Terra

Chuffy
18-06-2005, 22:28
The Necrons might pull it off, I mean they managed to land on Mars with just 5 Shroud ships or whatever they are called...can you imagine them attacking with a large fleet..bye bye Terra

Yes, those are shrouds, they'd have a harder time landing Cairns or Scythes. Besides then you'd have to fight your way across Terra....not very easy.

malika
18-06-2005, 22:43
Their mission would not be to land on Terra, they would just attack it from the sky

Chuffy
18-06-2005, 22:45
Their mission would not be to land on Terra, they would just attack it from the sky

Against minefields, defense lasers, defense ships and the local Battlefleet?

malika
18-06-2005, 22:46
Against the Sol system's and Mars' defenses with just 5 ships...imagine a fleet of like lets say 50 ships or so...

Or even easier, a single C'tan

Johnny Bravo
18-06-2005, 22:50

Everyone knows that Nightbringer is a pansy and can be taken out by Space Marine Scouts with sniper rifles. ;)

malika
18-06-2005, 23:03
jaja...besides your sarcasm...you do know that the rules are a very bad reflection of the background ;)

Chuffy
18-06-2005, 23:04
Against the Sol system's and Mars' defenses with just 5 ships...imagine a fleet of like lets say 50 ships or so...

No no, the shroud is quick with a relatively small amount of weaponry, plus the shrouds landing on mars weren't bombarding the planet, they were trying to land on it. The Scythes and Cairns would find much more difficult to land on Terra than a shroud would and trying to bombard the planet into submission would be foolish even for the Necron ships.

Johnny Bravo
18-06-2005, 23:08
jaja...besides your sarcasm...you do know that the rules are a very bad reflection of the background ;)

Of course I do, I just couldn't resist the little jab. :) As presented in the background, then yes, a C'tan could probably cut right through the planetary defences. Which is why we really don't want the Void Dragon/Machine God waking up on Mars. ;)

malika
18-06-2005, 23:09
I think you are not getting what Im trying to say..why would a Scythe or Cairn land on Terra? They would attack the planet from orbit/air.

Rabid Bunny 666
18-06-2005, 23:34
but why would they attack terra for?. its got a huge psycic beacon emerging from it, an amametha for c'tan

Chuffy
18-06-2005, 23:35
I think you are not getting what Im trying to say..why would a Scythe or Cairn land on Terra? They would attack the planet from orbit/air.

Thats my point, that's even more stupid, Necrons may have respectable firepower, however trying to bombard Terra? The most heavily armed and defended planet in the galaxy?

Nazguire
18-06-2005, 23:37
Thats my point, that's even more stupid, Necrons may have respectable firepower, however trying to bombard Terra? The most heavily armed and defended planet in the galaxy?

Well a small task force of Necrons DID penetrate Mars...which IMHO isn't much less defended than Terra....of course they didn't fight, but the fact that they didn't fight to get in proves that if they did...watch out Tech-Priests :D

malika
19-06-2005, 00:03

Yup and with Terra destroyed humanity will end up so instable that the C;tan could just simly take what they want to take...

but why would they attack terra for?. its got a huge psycic beacon emerging from it, an amametha for c'tan
Terra gone --> beacon gone too!

Sephiroth
19-06-2005, 00:16

From the Inquisitor rulebook, which some one also mentioned earlier:

A single candle guttered on an ornate silver stick in the center of the room, throwing a yellowish, fitful light over the faces of the cowled figures stood in the dusty chamber.

“The Golden Throne works,” one said, his voice aged and cracked. “The Emperor’s life can be sustained indefinitely.”

“His soul lives on?” another inquired, his long, sharp nose protruding from under the lip of his hood. “It is not an empty husk?”

“It is not,” the first confirmed. “The Emperor has ascended to the next plane, but the link ‘twixt body and spirit remains strong.”

“Then he can be brought back,” suggested the third, a young woman whose flowing white hair spilled from her hood and down to her waist. “The Emperor need not suffer this hideous eternal life in death.”

“We cannot risk such a thing!” the first hissed. “What if the spiritual link were severed? What if the person brought back was not the man we once knew? Changed? News of the Emperor’s... ascension is already widespread. He is being revered as a god already on a hundred worlds. In this time of rebuilding, we need a symbol. The Emperor has shown us the way. Anyway, who would believe the Emperor has returned so soon? It will cause a civil war more devastating than that of the fool Horus, and even now we have yet to start counting the cost of that. No, better that his knowledge remains hidden. When we pass on to join the Emperor, it will die with us.”

“You cannot deny Mankind the Emperor.” A fourth voice, deep and slow, stated firmly. “He and the Imperium he has built are Mankind’s only chance of survival.”

The woman and the deep-voiced man both withdrew into the shadows and a moment later the door creaked open, a chill draught causing the candle flame to flit wildly.

“Moriana, Promeus, wait!” the first man called out, but the door slammed shut in answer.

“We cannot let them do this,” the hawk-nosed man decided.

“No, we cannot,” the first agreed. “We must act quickly, get organised and claim the initiative.”

“It shall be done,” The other concurred.

TenTailedCat
19-06-2005, 01:03
That conversation appears to take place not long after the Throne was put into action. Who could say what has happened to the Emperor's soul in the interveining millenia?

I for one believe that the Emperor returning would be a good thing. People alwas question how the astronomicon would work, but they tend to forget that the Emperor's armies had to move around space for centuries before he 'ascended', so there must be an alternative solution.

Rabid Bunny 666
19-06-2005, 01:45
the RT era fluff states his consciousness is in the warp, a sleeping god, like slaanesh was and ynnead is

TenTailedCat
19-06-2005, 01:50
Yeah but RT also had marines who were little more than drug fuelled criminals if I remember rightly?

Still, its a nice image of the Emperor as a sleeping god, tis in nicely with the sar child stuff. But I think we wandered off topic since the thread was about some uber-titan emperor.

Nazguire
19-06-2005, 01:50
That conversation appears to take place not long after the Throne was put into action. Who could say what has happened to the Emperor's soul in the interveining millenia?

I for one believe that the Emperor returning would be a good thing. People alwas question how the astronomicon would work, but they tend to forget that the Emperor's armies had to move around space for centuries before he 'ascended', so there must be an alternative solution.

The HH books state that the Emperor was the beacon the whole time, or something similar I believe, can't remember haven't got the books on me at the moment.

TenTailedCat
19-06-2005, 01:52
^So there's be no problem if he returned presumably? Just that he'd move around a bit, dunno how you could use a non-static person as a navigational tool, especially since I doubt he moved around in a predictable pattern like a star in the sky...

Rabid Bunny 666
19-06-2005, 02:16
the HH books said that one of the high lords built a machine to project the astronomican in the emperors absence, whilst the emperor was making the throne

Lord Balor
19-06-2005, 04:47
What's this talk about the Ctan wiping the floor with Terra? Would they even be able to stand it its presence in order to do so? Sure they are powerful Sentinent gas clouds (or however the story goes), but in the presence of the choir of Terra and the Emperor's guiding light...

As for a fleet bombarding Terra, you do realise just how heavily fortified and defended it is? Landing small scout vessels is one things, but bringing a fleet to bombard Terra will bring some unwanted attraction to it. They would have to go through minefields to Battlefleets and Starforts, Naval Yards and Laser Batteries. I don't play BFG, but i've got a general idea that Imperium<Eldar<Necron<Blackstone Fortress. WHo knows how close a single Ramelies Starfort compares to a blackstone fortress, but with everythign else behind it, i doubt anyone's reaching terra for some time. Cypher mayhaps, but Necron's i think not.

Nazguire
19-06-2005, 07:14
the HH books said that one of the high lords built a machine to project the astronomican in the emperors absence, whilst the emperor was making the throne

Ooopsies my bad...its been a while since I read it.

Horus Heresy books do put out a good bit of background. Any news of a third one?

The Black Aquila
19-06-2005, 09:12

This is off topic.. but what in the name of the Emperor is a Amametha?

TheSonOfAbbadon
19-06-2005, 09:21
Dictionary.Reference.Com says... No entry found for Amametha.

I'm really hoping he did not mean enema *shudders*.

Oh, and Terra is pretty much an impenetrable fortress, as is the Moon, Mars and a load of other planets/moons in the Sol system.

DantesInferno
19-06-2005, 10:11
He meant "anathema" I believe, which means something that is particularly deadly or dangerous to someone, or which is to be disliked or avoided by a particular person.

Eg. The Warp is anathema to the Nightbringer. I'm pretty certain the word never has an article (eg "the" or "an").

Rabid Bunny 666
19-06-2005, 13:25
i did mean anathema, but couldn't remember the spelling :D

malika
19-06-2005, 15:50
Oh, and Terra is pretty much an impenetrable fortress, as is the Moon, Mars and a load of other planets/moons in the Sol system.

Horus invaded Terra...

The Necrons managed to land on Mars

Rabid Bunny 666
19-06-2005, 15:56
but horus wasn't seen as a threat at the time :D

malika
19-06-2005, 16:01
Yes he was...the Emperor send out 7 Legions to stop that threat

Rabid Bunny 666
19-06-2005, 16:05
but when he got there, the space ports were taken by surprise

Lostanddamned
19-06-2005, 16:09

IFIAK this was many millenia (sp?) ago and before the first landings on the moon.

the dragon is there already....

malika
19-06-2005, 16:12
but when he got there, the space ports were taken by surprise

The Emperor already knew Horus betrayed him and still they were taken by surprise? :eyebrows:

IFIAK this was many millenia (sp?) ago and before the first landings on the moon.
Nope...this was pretty recently that the Necrons landed on Mars

the dragon is there already....
There is no official proof that the Dragon is there, the Necrons might want something from Mars, but no where does it officially say that the Dragon is sleeping there...it's simply speculation.

Rabid Bunny 666
19-06-2005, 17:54
but out of the 4 c'tan in the galaxy, 2 are active, 1 is on the rims of the galaxy near theb tau and the other is on mars, per se the necron book

Rabid Bunny 666
19-06-2005, 17:55
Horus invaded Terra...

and security around terra must have been stepped up after the heresy

malika
19-06-2005, 22:58
but out of the 4 c'tan in the galaxy, 2 are active, 1 is on the rims of the galaxy near theb tau and the other is on mars, per se the necron book

hmm...I dont remember the codex offically stating that the Dragon (or Outsider) is on Mars...there is something on Mars but they dont know IIRC

Lord Balor
20-06-2005, 03:27
Horus almost took Terra because he was a tactical Genious who had spread the Emperor's forces far and wide, makeing a proper defence next to impossible. Before he even made planetfall, there was infighting as entire regiments of guard turned on their bretheren (IIRC, this is how they took the starport in the first place). The emperor was in a utter state of dillusionment as he could not truely comprehend his favoured son's betrayal. He played no part in the siege except sitting on his throne brooding until Horus let down the shields on his ship. Ergo, the Emperor was taken by suprise (everyone else wasn't but he was). In the current time, Terra can be considered the most heavily defended and fortified planet in the entire universe. The Moon is a massive battlestation and who knows how it compares to the Ramilious StarForts (I checked up their stats and they are MASSIVE :)). Mars is full of superstitious unorganised priesthood where the majority of the planet are nothing more than mindless servitors producing arms for the Imperial War Machine.

The Necrons only landed five of their smaller craft on Mars and avoided contact/detection. They were not bombarding a planet with Tombships etc which WOULD attract attention. Also, it is implied very carefully but never confirmed that the Dragon is on Mars and the Outsider on the monolith floating on the Eastern Fringe.

charlie_c67
20-06-2005, 11:38
And the proof that the emperor just sat back and let the rebels come is where? :wtf: Unlikely if not impossible. He sent out 7 Chapters of which 4 rebelled and 3 were almost wiped out. How long would it take for him to realise things weren't going to plan? We don't know at what point Magnus rebelled but he could've shielded the traitor force from the emperors view or the warp jump could've happened so soon after the massicare (sp?) that there was no time to prepare. Added to tat there's the high probability the big E was having a private psychic war so was very busy anyway.

TenTailedCat
20-06-2005, 11:46
As far as the fluff goes the Emperor spent the battle on his throne, psychically guiding the loyal Primarchs, watching over and evaluating the situation. To say that he did 'nothing' simply because he wasn't directly fighting is inaccurate.