PDA

View Full Version : SST Question

Yodhrin
21-07-2006, 12:48
I finally got around to reading the original SST novel yesterday, and I enjoyed it so much Im considering going over to the Dark Side and buying into a non-GW game.

Here's the thing though; Im not a fan of the movie or series models. Both are fairly cool, but I cant get the whole "800 pound steel gorilla" description out of my mind. So, is it possible to field a force made up entirely of the "proper" Exo-Suit models, or are they relegated to support units like Marauders and Chickenhawks?

monkey child
21-07-2006, 12:55
Im not 100% but i think you can cater your force to have just the powered suits. I think if you look on the mongoose site there a pdf that mentions it. Ive always liked the background ( in the book) but to my mind the suits dont look how i imagined them.

emperorpenguin
21-07-2006, 13:33
So, is it possible to field a force made up entirely of the "proper" Exo-Suit models, or are they relegated to support units like Marauders and Chickenhawks?

You can field an army of exo-suits if you like. You could field an army of nothing but Marauders (apes and Chickenhawks) if you like too, they're not just support units.

Every 1000pts of your army allows you to field 1 platoon. Your choices are
Cap Troopers
Marauders
Pathfinders
Light Armour
Exo-Suits

Yodhrin
21-07-2006, 17:02
Im not 100% but i think you can cater your force to have just the powered suits. I think if you look on the mongoose site there a pdf that mentions it. Ive always liked the background ( in the book) but to my mind the suits dont look how i imagined them.

The Cougar is actually quite close to how I imagined them, although Ill probably slightly convert them to have a fixed helmet/visor, as the way the novel describes them you have to angle the suit to view something, suggesting an immobile headpiece.

How effective would an all-Exo army be, do you think, and how many models would I need for an average battle?

monkey child
21-07-2006, 17:25
I hadnt been on the site for a while, The couger suits are excellent, urge to buy rising. i wouldn`t have a clue how many you would need there is a battle report somewhere and it gives a rough idea, and i think theres some previews of the different races codexes.
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/pdf/sstmiarmypreview.pdf

emperorpenguin
21-07-2006, 17:43
How effective would an all-Exo army be, do you think, and how many models would I need for an average battle?

I doubt you'll fit in 20 to a 2000pt army

they are very effective, go to the mongoose forums and there's a few guys there who use all exo-suit armies, ask them

Yodhrin
23-07-2006, 18:31
Another couple; is it possible to field peewee nukes in all-Exo forces? Also, what weapons and how many of each come in the Cougar box? I don't like the Grizzly head/rig, so I plan to just beef up Cougars a little to form my mainline troopers(Im going "by the book", as it were; the heavy powersuits will be the grunts, the lighter, faster Cougar will be run as Command and Scout units).

emperorpenguin
23-07-2006, 18:40
Another couple; is it possible to field peewee nukes in all-Exo forces? Also, what weapons and how many of each come in the Cougar box? I don't like the Grizzly head/rig, so I plan to just beef up Cougars a little to form my mainline troopers(Im going "by the book", as it were; the heavy powersuits will be the grunts, the lighter, faster Cougar will be run as Command and Scout units).

That's how I'd do it, the lighter Cougar has a re-rollable dodge save, vital for keeping your command structure alive

weapons in the cougar? I don't have them so can't say for numbers

If you have an officer with atomic protocols you can have pee-wee nukes