PDA

View Full Version : need help with a marauder army

lorcan
22-07-2006, 13:43
Hi
I'm new to warhammer and have started to collect a marauder army I want to keep the army free from Chaos warriors, Knights and daemons but I do want to include some heavy hitters from the beast of chaos range like chaos ogres or Dragon ogres. Can the marauders have a mark of a chosen god or are they undivided. I want a raiding force with speed and punch that doesn't rely on over the top charcters to win battles.Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Neknoh
22-07-2006, 14:53
Marauders can't have ANY mark at all, not even Undivided, however, my suggestion to you would be to include Crom the Conqueror at 2k if your caminggroup allows special character (he's not classed as "Opponents consent only" though),

What should be done in a Marauder army is to take several large (and I mean 25 in size) blocks of Marauders, three should do the trick, if you want your army to be dedicated to Khorne, you could include Aspiring and Exalted Champions with the Mark of Khorne as well as a unit of Fleshhounds (very khorney and suits a Marauder theme well, as well as allowing you to field said Khornate champions if your general has the Mark of Chaos Undivided).

You will also want to include Marauder Horsemen and Chaos Warhounds to do some Baiting and tablequarter claiming, warhounds can also be used in unitsizes of up to twenty hounds if joined by an exalted Champion on a Barded Chaos Steed.

The ideal equippment would be Shields, Lightarmour and Full Command for the main blocks, Flails/Greatweapons for smaller flankers or kamikaze units and Flails and Musician for the Marauder Horsemen.

Some Chaos Trolls would be great, but, the usually low leadership of a Marauder army might deterr from taking them, thus, Minotaurs will work a treat, of course, Chaos Ogres can work, but Minotaurs are a lot more Bang for the Buck, also, a Beastherd or two and a Giant and you should be set with the beasts. You might also want to include either a Wargor or two, or a Beastlord (use an exalted as general in that case) at 2k to go with your Beastherds and make those herds nasty, (Beastlord with Mark of Khorne, heavy Armour, Enchanted Shield and Daemonsword of Khorne still costs less than a naked Mortal Lord of Khorne).

If you worry about dispelling, three characters with the Mark of Khorne would net you a total of 5 Dispell Dice to the army, which will last long and well, if you also take Fleshhounds, that is one destructive unit of Fast cavalry with 5+ Wardsaves aggainst mundane stuff, AND, Magic Resistance 2, meaning they can throw two dice basic aggains all spells used on them. Also, Exalted Champions, Aspiring Champions, Chaos Lords, Wargors and Beastlords with the Mark of Khorne can take the Collar of Khorne (only one may be taken though), which means that either, one of your main Marauder blocks could have MR2, or a big Beastherd could have MR 2 in addition to the Beastherds and five base Dispell Dice.

Of course, you could take four characters with the Mark of Khorne, it wouldn't hurt your army composition a bit (just remember, if Crom is your general, make sure NOT to give the Mark of Chaos Undivided to the marauderunits you want to throw your Khornate characters into).

Just my two cents.

Cenyu
22-07-2006, 15:06
The Dogs of War regiment "Norse Marauders" is subject to the rules for frenzy - I reckon they'd be a worthy Khornate addition to a Marauder themed Khorne worshipping army.

lorcan
22-07-2006, 17:52
Thanks for the suggestions NeKnoh.
Can anyone tell me where I can find the rules for the Norse marauders DOW regiment.
I managed to get an old copy of a Realm of Chaos army book. There is alittle article about the tribe of the hound the first and greatest of all the tribes. They are mighty warriors who carry huge deadly axes to battle ,Marauders who follow Khorne. It also states that the tribe breed gigantic wolfhounds, these are the chaos hounds- the dreaded hunters of the northern wastes.
Also in the book it refers to Ogres as ugly humanoids who love to fight and kill and are most common in the north in the lands of Norsca and the domains of the chaos marauders, here their lives are one continual battle- exactly as the ogres like it. So I think I will base my army on the tribe of the hound with chaos ogres for abit of extra muscle.

Latro
22-07-2006, 18:11
Here you go: http://uk.games-workshop.com/dogsofwar/lists/

Now all you have to do is make a list so we can pick it apart!

:cool:

Neknoh
22-07-2006, 18:14
Latro, you're too kind on him, we ripp it appart, not pick it appart :p If he wants to follow khorne, khorne shall treat him like all others :evilgrin:

Don't worry Lorcan. btw, Fleshhounds would suit your theme perfectly

lorcan
22-07-2006, 19:42
2000 pt Marauders of Khorne army list

Exalted Champion of Khorne : Chaos armour, additional hand weapon, mark of khorne, collar of Khorne, axe of khorne 189pts

Aspiring Champion of Khorne: Chaos armour, shield, mark of Khorne 117 pts

Aspiring Champion of Khorne: Chaos armour, shield, mark of Khorne 117 pts

5 Marauder horsemen: Flails & Musician 81 pts

24 Marauders : shield, light armour, full command 193 pts

8 Flesh hounds of Khorne: 128pts

8 Chaos ogres: heavy armour , great weapons, full command 402pts

25 Norse Marauders DOW: great weapons, light armour, full command 255pts

5 warhounds of chaos: 30 pts

5 warhounds of chaos 30 pts

6 warhounds of chaos 36 pts

6 warhounds of chaos 36 pts

thats what i've come up with so far, feed back welcome. The warhounds will screen the marauders the fast cavalry will seek out war machines or spell casters while the rest of the army gets into close combat as soon as possible.

Neknoh
22-07-2006, 20:15
Looking very nice indeed
Two Bloodbeasts of Khorne and one less rank on the Chaos Ogres (although, do take Shields as well, a 4+ armoursave vs shooting is always good).

Now, your Aspiring Champions will do a LOT better using hallberds, and it'd be great if you'd upgrade them to Exalteds, remember, your general still has the most magic doodahs... oh, and you can't benefit from both the Axe and the Additional Handweapon, I'd go solely for Axe of Khorne, Shield and Collar

Latro
22-07-2006, 21:01
... on the fluff side:

It may not always be a wise choice, but you can't get more ... uhm ... Khorny, then fielding an Exalted Champion of Khorne riding a Juggernaut into battle!

He could even lead the Ogres into battle ... a fitting retinue for such a fierce warrior.

lorcan
22-07-2006, 21:26
Revised 2000 pt Marauders of Khorne army list

Exalted Champion of Khorne : Chaos armour, shield, mark of khorne, collar of Khorne, axe of khorne 187pts

Exalted Champion of Khorne : Chaos armour, great weapon, shield, mark of khorne 141 pts

Exalted Champion of Khorne : Chaos armour, great weapon, shield, mark of khorne 141 pts

5 Marauder horsemen: Flails & Musician 81 pts

8 Flesh hounds of Khorne: 128pts

4 Chaos ogres: heavy armour , great weapons, 184 pts

25 Norse Marauders DOW: great weapons, light armour, full command 255pts

6 warhounds of chaos: 36 pts

1 Bloodbeast of Khorne 75 pts

1 Bloodbeast of Khorne 75 pts

thats what i've come up with so far, feed back welcome. The warhounds will screen the marauders the fast cavalry will seek out war machines or spell casters while the rest of the army gets into close combat as soon as possible.

Latro
22-07-2006, 22:25
It has a good horde-feel to it, that's for sure.

You might run into problems when it comes to using your fast support units though. When it comes to playing the role of fast cavalry, Flesh Hounds absolutely suck ... period.

They are very fast and are very frenzied ... and that's an awful combination for fast cavalry. The moment you commit then, you're stuck with whatever your opponents reacts with ... no avoiding for you, you're frenzied. If you don't commit (by turning them away for example) your opponent doesn't have to worry about them at all ... or move something nasty in front of them. Nope, not good at all when you're fast cavalry.

If you have need for units to harass the enemy and take out enemy shooting, war machines and perhaps wizards ... you'll need more Marauder Horsemen and Furies.

Neknoh
22-07-2006, 22:33
However, Fleshhounds CAN work wonders, we are talking a US16 Fearcausing unit with 8 strength 4 attacks, movement 8 and the Fast cavalry reform rulem as a matter of fact, if properly used, the opponent can't do anything to prevent them rolling up his line, the big gamble is to get them into a position where they can move into a more threatening flanking position the next turn, if your opponent manages to bait them before they get to the flank-position, he's essentially taken them out for at least one round, if he fails, there's nothing he can do to prevent them rolling up his line next.

I'd actually wager and say that Fleshhounds are a lot easier to use than Khorne knights due to their fast cavalry rule and their high movement, remember, you do NOT have to charge the closest eligable target, only one eligable target.

Latro
22-07-2006, 23:14
True, but for the job he wants his fast cavalry to do they're not that good ... certainly not when they're supposed to engage them as fast as possible (which happens to be the case most of the time)

I look at Flesh Hounds as assault cavalry with some additional movement benefits but less hitting power ... not as a unit that can peform the role of regular fast cavalry though.

Neknoh
23-07-2006, 01:02
Indeed, however, once you actually learn how to use the frenzy, things will be so much better, for instance, not sure on wether or not to charge? Don't charge, let Frenzy do the job. You will find that Fleshhounds can rip appart any smaller supportunits and this will place them handilly next to or behind the enemy line, and then, they can start taking ranked units out.

Also, their strength 4 prevents certain units, such as the Bretonnians from getting their Wardsave, and Slayers from getting their VP's for dying.

But first and foremost, it is VERY funny to see enemy wizards desperately trying to ward them off with magic before getting ripped to pieces and shreds in eight different ways

Spaco
23-07-2006, 02:33
Two points for clarification:

Flesh hounds are only M7
Mortal characters can't join beast units
:)

I really love the idea of a mainly marauder army. I recommend more horsemen and a small unit of furies. The ogres maybe bumped up to 5 too, since you'll have little in the way of screens.

lorcan
23-07-2006, 02:59
Should I stick with 1 exalted champion and 2 aspiring champions or go with the 3 exalted champions, the champions are subject to frenzy how does this effect the unit they are with.

lorcan
23-07-2006, 03:36
i would enjoy seeing a spell caster devoured by a pack of frenzied flesh hounds , blood for the blood god

Neknoh
23-07-2006, 08:11
Three Exalted Champions.

The frenzy will work like this, unless the Marauders declares a charge, the Exalted Champion will measure frenzy and charge on his own if the enemy would be an elligable target, true, it is slightly riskym however, this does also mean that if the champion does run away or even get run down, the enemy will now barrell into your marauders, and, seeing as you have some sflankers in that list, those enemies will suddenly find that they are fighting a very competent 4+ save block of static CR without any static CR of their own.

Your Mum Rang
23-07-2006, 08:32
It seems to me that flankers are the most important thing in a Marauder army except of course LD.

If I ever made one I'd be going for Crom.

Tate
27-07-2006, 07:36
I have used a marauder horde a few times (friend's army) and wow. It is one of the most fun armies to play. Crom is an absolute beast and his LD9 rerollable psych is worth much more than he costs. Take Tuskgor chariots and convert them to be crewed by marauders. You need something that packs a punch besides the characters, and chariots can do that.

Kharnath
27-07-2006, 08:48
yeah im thinking my next force once ive finished the khorne legion will be marauders.

my plan is T'zeentch characters and as good a magic phase as possible, then pump my list full of maruaders and some other flanking elements.
after not having a magic phase for so long it will b a nice change, and even if i spend say 600-700 points on characters i can still plough a couple of hundred marauders on the table. its all planning stages at this time.

any one play a magic maruader horde?

shadowprince
27-07-2006, 09:17
I made one for a friend a while back. Its easy to convert up either a tuskore or chaos chariot to be a maurder chariot. Also go with Crom he will be invaluable. Drop the fleshound and get some small units as maroder with GW.

Neknoh
27-07-2006, 09:33
You do know that if he wants champions of khorne in the army, he must have Fleshhounds if Crom is the general

Pravus
28-07-2006, 11:22
any one play a magic maruader horde?

I have a variant of my chaos army that is based on Slaaneshi magic and is very effective. It loses the heavy hitters I normally include to increase the magic potential but still includes my 110 model core of marauders, marauder cavalry and beastherds.

Although I use Slaaneshi magic for this variant, undivided works just as well but with a different emphasis. Slaanesh is about disrupting the enemy to my advantage whereas with undivided I use Fire or Death to batter the enemy with direct damage before closing into hand to hand.

The main disadvantage to this approach is that your general is ld8 as opposed to the ld9 of a chaos lord. It can make a big difference against certain opponents especially undead and big monsters.

Bloodknight
28-07-2006, 11:49
You may also want to take a look at the Beorg Bearstruck´s Bearmen of Urslo ROR. They´d also make a nice addition to a Khornate Marauder army. They´re also subject to frenzy and include a nice lord level character and a useful magic banner.

lorcan
29-07-2006, 08:15
Are centigors any good as fast cavalry I really like the models? Would beastmen look alright as allies in a Khornate marauder army?

Neknoh
29-07-2006, 08:19
Indeed they would, especially centigors, however, Centigors are NOT fast cavalry, they are a medium cavalry unit and is best used as a unit of chaos knights running through woods

lorcan
29-07-2006, 08:38
if i took a unit of khorngors would I also need a beast herd? are all beast of chaos units special units in a mortal army?

Neknoh
29-07-2006, 09:20
yes you would, yes... kinda, all Best units are Special, the Special are Special and the Rare are special, do note that there is a difference between Beast units and Beasts of Chaos units, mortal characters cannot join Beast units but they CAN join Beasts of Chaos units (the special and rare choices), also do note that certain banners affect Beasts of Chaos models and beast models

lorcan
29-07-2006, 09:29
I really need to buy a beast of chaos army book? I like the idea of a Khornate Marauder army backed up by beastmen that worship the Blood God , I think my army is going to be a 3000 point army.

Latro
29-07-2006, 10:09
yes you would, yes... kinda, all Best units are Special, the Special are Special and the Rare are special ...

Don't you mean that the special choices remain special and the rare choices remain rare?

Neknoh
29-07-2006, 10:09
^^ Haha

Oh, just trust me on this character, Beastlord, Heavy Armour, Enchanted Shield, Chaos Daemonsword, Mark of Khorne.

He will cost less than a naked Lord of Khorne and he doesn't have to be the general if you have an Exalted Champion in the army :evilgrin:

EDIT:... DOH! Listen to Latro

lorcan
29-07-2006, 10:16
beastlord of Khorne with heavy armour ,enchanted shield , chaos daemonsword and mark of chaos . what points cost are we roughly talking?

Your Mum Rang
29-07-2006, 10:38
If we take Crom we can still use Beasts yes? Only Daemons become Rare.

Latro
29-07-2006, 12:53
^^ Haha

Oh, just trust me on this character, Beastlord, Heavy Armour, Enchanted Shield, Chaos Daemonsword, Mark of Khorne.

He will cost less than a naked Lord of Khorne and he doesn't have to be the general if you have an Exalted Champion in the army :evilgrin:

... I think I just had an evilgasm.

:evilgrin:

Neknoh
29-07-2006, 13:24
Indeed.

Lorcan, we are talking about four or so points LESS than a Lord of Chaos with the Mark of Khorne and NOTHING else. Now, you buy this guy a Beastherd to stop him from frenzy-charging everything and to give him some juicy extra inches to his charges AND CR as well as a 360 degree charge arc and we're up arround only slightly more than perhaps let's see... 350 or 360, in a 3k army, that is something you deffinately can spare, especially in a Marauder army.

lorcan
30-07-2006, 01:29
3000 point Marauder of Khorne army with Beastmen allies

Exalted champion of Khorne
chaos armour, shield, mark of Khorne, collar of Khorne, axe of Khorne 187

chaos armour, shield, great weapon, mark of Khorne 141

chaos armour, shield, great weapon, mark of Khorne 141

Beastlord of Khorne
heavy armour, enchanted shield, daemonsword, mark of Khorne 241

24 Marauders shield, light armour, full command 193

25 Marauders shield, light armour, full command 200

5 Marauder horsemen flails & musician 81

5 Marauder horsemen flails & musician 81

6 Warhounds of Chaos 36

6 Warhounds of Chaos 36

6 Warhounds of Chaos 36

6 Warhounds of Chaos 36

5 Chaos Ogres great weapons heavy armour and full command 264

8 Flesh Hounds of Khorne 128

8 Centigors shield, light armour, full command 187

8 Gors & 12 Ungors beast herd
(gors hand weapon & shield, ungors shield & spear) full command) 139

16 Khorngors
heavy armour, great weapon, mark of Khorne, War banner 292

1 Bloodbeast of Khorne 75

1 Bloodbeast of Khorne 75

Feed back welcome

Neknoh
30-07-2006, 07:32
Lorcan, you sure you got your beastlords points correct? I have a hard time imagening that equippment going up to 255 pts.

Hrmm... Beastlord, Mark of Khorne, Chaos Daemonsword, Enchanted Shield, Heavy Armour... 241 pts

Throw him into your Beastherd (although, swap the ratio, 8 Gor, 12 Ungor, cheaper and more cost-effective) and make sure to keep the heard spread out and have him in the back or centre, remember, he measures hs frenzy from his base, not the herds edge, thus, you seriusly reduce the level of effect Frenzy has on him, also do note that when the herd charges, your Beastlord will be moved to the front rank of the fighting (also when the herd is charged if the herd isn't allready engaged in combat). I think someone here called this tactic "Neknoh's Daemonweapon Delivery System" and it is extra true with Beastlords of Khorne, seeing as there normally wouldn't be any way in the world to get him to where he wanted to aggainst a good opponent :p

As for the list itself, I'd remove two Khornegors and a Chaos Ogre to pay for another unit of Marauder Horsemen (perhaps drop some hounds if necesary), Khornegors do best when in units that are wide, seven wide nets you a nice fifteen attacks from the front rank, also, you might want to replace one of those Exalted Champions with a Wargor of Khorne with the Dark Heart, throw him into the Khornegors and they will now charge an extra D3 inch on their first charge, or, throw him into the Herd (but that completely changes any tactics you might have, so not reckomended to start out with).

But deffinately a Wargor with the Dark Heart, he'd be awesome in this army, imagin your opponents face when those Khorngors suddenly are able to charge twelve or thirteen inch instead of ten :evilgrin:

lorcan
30-07-2006, 07:49
I've changed the points cost of the Beastlord, so that gave me enough points for another unit of 5 marauder horsemen.
Neknoh thanks for all the help is been great to get your suggestions for this army please continue to feel free to advise. I don't have a beastmen book so I took a punt on the points cost for the Beastlord, How many points is a wargor with the Dark heart

Neknoh
30-07-2006, 08:14
You are welcome, I'm happy to help out mortal players such as myself.

Hrmm... can't really remember, the cost of the beastlord was also OTOH, so, you might want to couble check those points once you get the book. The Wargor is something like between 100 and 130 pts I think, not sure though. But, in 3k, you should still be able to drop the things I said and afford a Wargor without dropping a single Exalted though, I might be back later today with the exact points costs for your units

Pravus
31-07-2006, 15:46
He will cost less than a naked Lord of Khorne and he doesn't have to be the general if you have an Exalted Champion in the army

Dear God!! I'm going to go and have a shower now. I'm shocked and appalled by the shear unadulterated filth of that immoral and obscene idea. I wonder how quickly I can paint a Khorne beastlord though ...

lorcan
02-08-2006, 08:21
my 3000 point army will have 5 characters with the mark of Khorne and one unit with the mark of Khorne is this adequate against magic heavy armies ?

Neknoh
02-08-2006, 09:18
If you throw in some Fleshhounds and/or the Collar of Khorne, I think that those 8 dispell dice + magic resistance should work aggainst most armies, especially seeing as in the new 7th edition coming out, wizards wont be able to channel PD's into one big bad caster

lorcan
15-08-2006, 09:40
i've put together my first few marauders, is there anything I can do to them to make them look like they worship Khorne?. Do you think red armour looks good on marauders?.

ardude
15-08-2006, 10:13
I've seen 1 very cool marouder horse man unit.
it was a normal marouders but had 2 red shoulder pats ( don't know if it ahd a shield) and a red sword, really looked like khorne but wasn't a knight by far.
if you make your army like that it still is a marouder army ( if you give them armor etc it would jsut be warriors) but it looks stronger and cooler.

Neknoh
15-08-2006, 20:42
Axes, skull trinkets, armourskirts (greenstuff and Men At Arms lower bodies), carved and bleeding symbols (done by cuttingsome Khornate symbols into the plastic, painting them and then inking that area red).

The arm from the Chaos Warrior Command Sprew for your Chieftan gives that VERY nice FMA/Armoured Arm And Thus Stronger - feal.