PDA

View Full Version : bow, shield, 2nd weapon, possible?

mazdaboq
22-07-2006, 20:06
I just went over my WE's book again and had never ran into this before, my first shooty army. Is it possible to arm a character, in this case a Highborn, with Light armor, a shield and 2nd weapon, and still be able to use his bow. I'm talking shoot his bow, and then when he gets charged, or charges then can pull out his shield and weapon to defend himself. I'm just asking cuz i can't find this information anywhere and i'd like to finish my list.

any help is greatly appreciated.

Falkman
22-07-2006, 20:14
Yeah, itīs possible.
The bow is not used in close combat, so does not prohibit you from using both hands for other equipment while fighting.

Festus
22-07-2006, 20:42
Correct. As long as you can buy all those things simultaneously (not everyone can), you can shoot the bow in the shooting phase and choose to use either shield and hw or two hw in the combat phase. You will use the shield at all other times.

mazdaboq
22-07-2006, 21:57
thank you so much. you've helped very much. I bow to you masters of rules, i am not worthy

WLBjork
23-07-2006, 07:37
Which is one reason Dwarf Quarrellers and Thunderers are so nice (if you're a Dwarf player anyway) :D

squiggoth
23-07-2006, 08:38
Keep in mind that this is not always the case - regiments often have the option to replace certain weapons with others, but not to carry everything at once (for example, basic Goblins come with hand weapons and shields, and can either buy a spear OR replace their shield with a short bow) whilst characters normally can pick one 'special' close combat weapon (great weapon, additional hand weapon, halberd etc.) and one missile weapon in addition to their hand weapon and armour/shield. Every character and unit in Warhammer works differently when it comes to choosing equipment, so always look closely at the wording in its unit entry for words like 'either', 'and', 'or' and 'replace'. ;)

LotR and 40K are a lot easier when it comes to choosing weapons. :)

Rork
23-07-2006, 08:56
When it comes to characters, the rule of thumb is that as long as a piece of equipment is under a different bullet point, you can take it.

i.e.

- You can't have more than one type of close combat weapon
- One type of armour (e.g. LA/HA. Note that shields are usually under a separate bullet)
- One type of ranged weapon (although in the case of wood elves they get it by default)

Festus
23-07-2006, 10:12
Hi

When it comes to characters, the rule of thumb is that as long as a piece of equipment is under a different bullet point, you can take it.
And it is just a rule of thumb.

Ultimately, your armybook entry tells you whether some equipment within one *bulletpoint* may be combined *and*, or whether it is mutually exclusive *or*.

More often this follows the *bulletpoint* categories outlined above (h-t-h-weapons, missile weapons, armour, and steeds), but this is not always the case.