PDA

View Full Version : which side would you choose

Havoc
22-07-2006, 21:57
Which side would you choose in the Horus Heresy, would you fight for the Emperor or would you fight for Horus.

ThorOdensson
22-07-2006, 22:04
Id fight for the Emporer, but then again knowing what happens neither side really came out of it well.

Adept
22-07-2006, 22:11
I'd probably side with wichever side the rest of my regiment/legion chose. No one likes being the odd one out.

As a true neutral? I'd probably side with the Emperor.

Kage2020
22-07-2006, 22:33
I, of course, would fight for the Emperor. After all, I as a thinking individual have no choice but to go with everything that someone writing for GW says...

Not.

Kage

nurgleman
22-07-2006, 23:01
Neither, I would side with the Intrex. :-)

HobbitTank
23-07-2006, 02:26
I would probably start out with the Emperor, but give into the temptations of chaos over time with my luck.

Elanthanis
23-07-2006, 02:39
I'd probably be lured in by the lies of the warmaster, to be honest.

ReDavide
23-07-2006, 03:06
I'd probably just hide.

BodhiTree
23-07-2006, 03:13
This sort of stuff always makes me wonder what a Chaos ruled galaxy would be like in the face of a massive Tyranid invasion. (I don't know why.)

However, to be on topic, I think running away to Mars would be a good idea, right? Working in a munitions factory would keep you safe no matter who was winning.... I think. :eyebrows:

Khaine's Messenger
23-07-2006, 03:20
I think running away to Mars would be a good idea, right?

Oh, that's clever. Run away to the planet where they're unleashing ancient and prohibited weapons on one another in a massive techno-theological civil war. That's safe. :chrome:

And I'm with Kelbor Hal. The rest of you fools can rot. The fact that we have an alliance with the Warmaster is immaterial.

BodhiTree
23-07-2006, 03:41
Just goes to show you how well I remember the fluff. :)

Indrid Khold
23-07-2006, 03:59
I'd sit back in Commoragh and laugh my ass off, then scramble at the last minute to help the Emperor out if it looked like Horus was going to win.

starlight
23-07-2006, 04:57
I'd be off with the Salamanders.:D

Twisted Ferret
23-07-2006, 05:24
I would ideally stay loyal to the Emperor, but if the rest of Tech-Priests around me decided to go with Horus, well, I'm not going to die for him... :D

Colonel_Zharkow
23-07-2006, 08:33
Considering that the Imperial Army regiments were at that time subordinate to SM legions, I guess I'd go were fortune took me. :(

Given a choice, however, I'd stand with the emperor. Mutation and madness isn't my thing. ;)

Chem-Dog
23-07-2006, 09:09
Chaos is death, For the Emperor!

monkey child
23-07-2006, 09:18
Is this choice with or without hind sight. As realisticaly Your not going to know about the mutations chaos influence ect. I think i wold probably side with Horus as first and foremost he`s on the front line sharing the danger, where as the Emperor is at home watching soaps and eating micro chips. Secondly Horus strikes me as someone who is pretty charismatic, so imo when he says " you know i like your shoes, do you fancy viral bombing some planets" you`re more likely to say " really you like them, ive only just got them, which ones did you want bombing?" rather than " forget you mother phoney, im gonna go and help bob watch cartoons".

So Horus

Warp-Rider
23-07-2006, 09:30
I'd fight for horus.

Iuris
23-07-2006, 09:31
The dream of humanity united would likely place me bang alongside the Emperor...

Chem-Dog
23-07-2006, 09:53
Once an oath is sworn you have made your choice for better or worse. Horus is an oath breaker.

Ok, as an everyday bod I wouldn't be priviledged with the knowledge of Horus's experiences and thoughts, but to decide that the word of a dead comrade (who turns out to be somebody else altogether) in a vision full of transmorphing red wolves, two different realities- one laying on top of the other and a quick trip to what is supposed to be a time before his own birth is a good justification for performing grand scale treason and fratricide shows just a smidge of bad judgment, it certainly wouldn't hold up in a court of law ;)

xibo
23-07-2006, 10:48
who cares for (false) emperors? only the wispers i will obey!

El-Wrongo
23-07-2006, 10:55
I'd guess I'd go with the empror as he probably got a bigger TV, and as stated earlier, popcorn.

Besides the whole chaos thing is overrated.

xibo
23-07-2006, 11:06
I'd guess I'd go with the empror as he probably got a bigger TV, and as stated earlier, popcorn.

Besides the whole chaos thing is overrated.
but slaanesh will offer you both better movies and (female) accompany

SpinO
23-07-2006, 11:16
I'd ally with Horus, but only because my Primarch Fulgrim did so. My loyalties lies to him, not Horus.

Dspankdo
23-07-2006, 13:14
the emperor of coarse, i happen to be very attached to my soul

MrInsomniac
23-07-2006, 13:58
Like SpinO said, my loyalties are to my Primarch, not the Emperor or Horus. As it stands Lorgar was on the side of the Warmaster, so that is where I would be.

the dark angel
23-07-2006, 19:22
Like SpinO said, my loyalties are to my Primarch, not the Emperor or Horus. As it stands Lorgar was on the side of the Warmaster, so that is where I would be.

i second that!we are word bearers united,strong and powerful,faithful to lorgar no one else,death to the false emperor,as lorgar will take his rightful place as eperor as horus lies,he is a coward,along with his chapter,long live lorgar!,long live the word bearers!

Cpt_Tiberius
23-07-2006, 19:32
I'd hang out with the Ultras on the Eastren fringe. Kickin' back and waiting for the dust to settle so we can swoop in and screw-up the other loyalists marines only chance of keeping the empire from being overtaken by petty politicians and crazed psychophants. :P

Tanith Ghost
23-07-2006, 20:14
Not knowing at all how it would, end, my battlecry would be this-

'For the Emperor!'

An oath of loyalty is an oath of the most binding kind. Your worth as a warrior, your honor, and your very soul depend on you fufilling that oath or dying in the attempt.

To betray that oath is the lowest and most despicable thing one can do.
Those who try to justify their vile crime are liars and scum of the worst kind
(I'm looking at you, AL supporters:mad: ).

Justicar_Freezer
23-07-2006, 20:25
My loyalties would be with my primarch and my legion and since my Primarch was noble Sanguinius I would be standing upon the walls of The Palace of Terra fighting to defend the Emperor. So By the blood of Sanguinius I'd side with the Emperor.

Reabe
23-07-2006, 21:10
I'm with the Emperor (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/Gorarat_greatclaw/horusheresyemperor.jpg).

Note: The above picture will make no sense if you don't read Marvel Comics. And it just shows how geeky I am. ;)

I'd be with the Emperor. He created Horus, so I wouldn't know why the Emperor just couldn't smack him down a notch or two.

xibo
23-07-2006, 22:33
... isn't horus the emperor? :P

Fulcrum
24-07-2006, 02:53
Neither. Like Spin0 said, my loyalties are with my primarch; my legion. I would be on the side of the Haunter, Konrad Kurze. Death to the False Emporer and those so foolishly dedicated to the "Gods of Chaos". Chaos is a tool, nothing more. Ave Dominus Nox!

Totem
24-07-2006, 03:03
I would probably end up being in one of the traitor legions with my luck, but I would definitely grab a seat on the Eisenstein and become a Grey Knight. Not only could I never fight for Gods that were fighting with each other, but how could you possibly turn down a suit of Grey Knight Termi armour?

Imperial Stormtrooper
24-07-2006, 03:46
Horus.

My world eater brethren turned, therefore i must turn with them!

Chem-Dog
24-07-2006, 03:48
we are word bearers united,strong and powerful

Apart from the whole "Got told off by the Emperor so I'm gonna go worship somebody who loves me" thing? ;) :p

SisterMordagg
24-07-2006, 05:54
FOR THE EMPEROR!

So what if my convent didn't exist yet?

Lord Dante
24-07-2006, 12:41
Id fight for whoever gives me a fixed save and a master crafted power weapon +2 Str.

Gen.Steiner
24-07-2006, 12:50
The Emperor.

It's a no-brainer. :D

Doctor Gonzo
24-07-2006, 12:55
I would definitely grab a seat on the Eisenstein and become a Grey Knight.

Sorry if I'm way off here, but are you suggesting that the loyalist marines from the traitor chapters went on to become grey knights?

Calindor
24-07-2006, 12:58
It all depends where at the moment of the hersy I would be. If I would be with Horus armies then I would propably belive in his lies of the emperor going crazy and follow him while I would if I where in a loyal army stay with my faith in the emperor.

If I had a chose, understanding both side then I would go with the emperor, saving him and his vision.

Totem
24-07-2006, 22:06
Sorry if I'm way off here, but are you suggesting that the loyalist marines from the traitor chapters went on to become grey knights?

I'm not suggesting it, I'm flat out saying it. It says in one of the Heresy artbooks that the marines that make it onto the Eisentstein become the founders of the Grey Knights because they have already faced Chaos and are now immune to its grasp or somesuch like that.

Outlaw289
24-07-2006, 22:09
The Emperor

Only because I feel Chaos is too capricious and deformed for my liking. The Imperium is at least constant and understandable

DantesInferno
25-07-2006, 00:23
For Humanity! For the Warmaster!

Unfortunately neither side is really that palatable, but the revolutionaries strike me as the lesser of two evils. The Emperor's (at times) serial incompetance would really lead me to conclude that Horus would be a much better leader for humanity. If Horus had won the Heresy cleanly, who knows to what great heights Humanity could have ascended?

A neutral shade of black.
25-07-2006, 04:04
I'd most definitely side with Horus in the name of freedom, surrender to Chaos, end up being horrified at what I've done before switching to Malal through hating myself to the point where I become a plausible candidate for his championship, thus encurring the burning, eternal hatred of the Four and being obliterated a short time after.

Outlaw289
25-07-2006, 04:19
I'd most definitely side with Horus in the name of freedom, surrender to Chaos, end up being horrified at what I've done before switching to Malal through hating myself to the point where I become a plausible candidate for his championship, thus encurring the burning, eternal hatred of the Four and being obliterated a short time after.

Wait, if Malal worship is allowed, then sign me up for Chaos! :skull:

Shadowfox
25-07-2006, 05:29
Ideally I'd say Emperor, just because, as others have said before me, mutation isn't really my thing. All things considered though, I probably wouldn't have much of a choice anyway. Obey or be executed, and I'd really prefer a seond heand to no head all things considered.

Forgotmytea
25-07-2006, 06:42
Neither. I'd fight for Magnus the Red and Tzeentch. Seriously, all it would take is one word from Tzeentch, and I'd be there :D

So I suppose technically Horus, but Magnus the Red really :p

-Forgotmytea

Goq Gar
25-07-2006, 09:51
Emparah. They give u more shiny stufz

thimnwitt
25-07-2006, 12:57
Following the footsteps of my Primarch Dorn I'd probally be on the walls of the imperial palace getting shot at by my fallen comrades.

Eetion
25-07-2006, 13:27
Im gonna base this answer assuming i have no knowledge of the events following the heresy.
I would have to say Horus. I would believe the commander that has led us through the stars and acted with courage and honour, and fought and bled at my side. No the Emperor who has withdrawn to his own palace and left the fighting and dying to other men. A leader has to lead from the front in my opinion.
Knowing the following events i would stay with the Emperor but few people ever get the benefit of hindsight before the event (cept thos weired nuts who believe their psychic, i expect a few of them claim powers of precognition).

the dark angel
25-07-2006, 14:32
i should have said the emperor!who wants to me turned into a tormented soul for a daemon to use you and in the warp you might get ate but if i said the emperor,youd be honoured as a protector of mankind and 1 of the few survivers :D if you make through the palace seige that is but i like the bit when the emperor kills horus! :D

Commander Ozae
25-07-2006, 16:56
Yes Dark Angel, you would be heralded as the hero of the human race, but only afterwards. Remember that you don't know what is coming and you probably think that your commander is the right guy. I always got the impression that the space marines who remained loyal to the Emperor were loyal only because their primarchs remained loyal, if the primarch decided to join Horus, you would follow him.

Chainsworded Codpiece
26-07-2006, 03:56
Not knowing at all how it would, end, my battlecry would be this-
'For the Emperor!'
An oath of loyalty is an oath of the most binding kind. Your worth as a warrior, your honor, and your very soul depend on you fufilling that oath or dying in the attempt.
To betray that oath is the lowest and most despicable thing one can do.
Those who try to justify their vile crime are liars and scum of the worst kind
(I'm looking at you, AL supporters:mad: ).

Yeah, well, um...yeah. No retort here.

As a staunch AL Tactician-Adept, I'd:

1) Side with the Warmaster and Alpharius, as the methods and implied philosophy/reasoning they both would give should rightly appeal to us...

2) Realize, in the midst of horrendous battle as we fight for the glory of the Winning Side, that, in fact it was not the Winning Side at all, and that much of Horus' plan is flawed. Id' see "which way the wind was blowing" (before, hopefully, anyone else)...

3) I'd opt out, charge into the EoT long before the rest of my Legion, thus avoiding a painful ****-stomping and humiliation at the hands of Loyalists, and when the rest of my Brothers show up, be like, "hey, yo, what's happenin'?":angel:

Seriously, though.

If it were "me", the side I chose would be the 600 Billion Wussies With No Guns Because We Were Born Peasants Gang. I'd likely be wiped out in some orbital strike in the opening moments of some conflict.

Alone and unremembered.

Dunkelheit
26-07-2006, 05:19
I'd side with the Emperor, swearing an oath to him would keep me on his side and get me killed fighting for him. If I wasn't a soldier then I'd probably join up with my local lynch mob and kill me some hertics.

Azrael Rose Sanglante
26-07-2006, 06:53
I would probably choose the emperor side... but it'is only a what's if and in fact it's depending on a lot of variable parameters...

Fal
26-07-2006, 09:33
My loyalties are to my Primarch Corax

Griffin
26-07-2006, 09:42
I'll get corrupted by chaos either Way - For Horus !

If I was in the war well - we were called the sons of Horus with good reason

In hindsight - Emeperor

Born Again
26-07-2006, 10:31
At the time? Probably the Emperor.
With hindsight, knowing how supporting him led to the superstitious, totalitarian regime of present setting? Horus.

Commander Ozae
26-07-2006, 13:52
At the time if you were an SM i guarentee you you'd follow your primarch. But if you were just a normal human, well, probably the Emperor. The AM is more complicated because we don't know exactly what made them loyal or not. In False Gods Horus promises a fully operational STC to the AM if they follow him so that's a big incentive.

Khaine's Messenger
26-07-2006, 13:56
In False Gods Horus promises a fully operational STC to the AM if they follow him so that's a big incentive.

:wtf: Of all the strings to pull with the AdMech and that's the one Horus pulled? I'm going to go scream in a bag now. :chrome:

Commander Ozae
26-07-2006, 14:01
You have to read the book to understand. Spoilers alert: Horus finds a very technologically advanced planet of humans and suspects that there is a fully operational STC on there. He is already planning the heresy and after the planet is his he tries to get the AM to join him by promising that STC. Whether there is one i don't know.

aximand
26-07-2006, 16:27
With Magnus the Red of course , he's the real hero of the imperium , if the wolves jus let him be i think he would continue to serve the emperor , and his aid , concidering his knowledge of the warp , would be of much help!

Khaine's Messenger
26-07-2006, 16:40
You have to read the book to understand.

Oh, I would assume so. It's just that I always assumed the situation was more complex than Horus dangling some sweet, sweet candy in front of them. And it's not exactly as if Horus could keep the STC from them if they refused, so far as I know...but I will reserve judgement.

Captain Loken
26-07-2006, 18:41
In all honesty if I were on the 63rd expedition I would of course side with Horus, however I think that everyone who was on the 63rd had to join him or be killed. If I was in any other legion or expedition though it would have to be his holyness because he is a god after all, at least in my eyes.;)

Commander Ozae
26-07-2006, 21:01
Just curious, why would you say that the Ad Mech could take it if they wanted from Horus. That could've started a war that might have been worse than the Heresy and he's a primarch so he could woop anyone. Not disagreeing, just wondering your logic.

Khaine's Messenger
26-07-2006, 21:24
why would you say that the Ad Mech could take it if they wanted from Horus.

They have a seat on the Council of Terra, which is ruled over by the Emperor's Regent, who has the power to boss the Primarchs around (as he speaks with the voice of the Emperor). Not that the AdMech especially have the Sigillite's ear, but if the pre-Heresy AdMech's primary bailiwick included retrieving STC, then they would have a very good case for it being theirs by right, and as such Horus would be bargaining from an inferior position (albeit not very inferior, loved and respected as he was). The only way Horus could turn the STC into a bargaining chip would be to ransom it, and that would only confuse everyone.

Mind you, there were rebellious tendencies in the AdMech before Horus even approached them--which is why I think attributing it to the STC specifically is a mistake. As I said, I am willing to read it for myself and to revise my opinions accordingly. I may not have the right perspective regarding the pre-Heresy AdMech...they made a terrible showing in the first novel (Loken apparently didn't even know what a magos looked like until his first official function as a member of the Mournival, and he'd had nigh two hundred years of life so far as I recall), so I want to see how they play out in False Gods.

he's a primarch so he could woop anyone.

Allow me to cackle maniacally for a bit. I won't type it all out because that would be insane, but rest assured, I am cackling.... :chrome:

Tymell
26-07-2006, 21:30
Horus. As far as I'm concerned they're just as bad as each other, at least Horus is open about it. :cool:

With Magnus the Red of course , he's the real hero of the imperium , if the wolves jus let him be i think he would continue to serve the emperor , and his aid , concidering his knowledge of the warp , would be of much help!

Quite right. The Emperor betrayed Magnus mercilessly.

Tyron
26-07-2006, 21:53
But the Emperor told Russ to bring him back, only Horus convinced him the Emperor ordered him to destroy the legion.

However if the Emperor would have any sense and sent Sanguinious then they would have lived.

Splagbot
26-07-2006, 22:20
The Emperor, chaos mings.

Magnus the Red had it coming, you can't master chaos, eventually it will destroy you and in the end that certainly proved the case with the Thousand Sons.

Tyron
26-07-2006, 22:41
As I'm reading Horus Rising it seems more clear that the Astartes had no intention allowing mortals to dictate them, as they see themselfs superior.

With the formation of the (forgets the name) "council" composed of humans dictating certain Crusade affiairs the Astartes are not happy. In the end I think there would have been a rebellion anyway as the Astartes would not be abllowed to rule the Imperium as a war council with the Emperor and so would fight the IG and other Imperial forces.

On the other side the book suggests the Astartes were only created for the reunion of the losts worlds for the Imperium to be led by the Emperor and mortals leaving the Astartes to be protectors with no say what so ever, which they would never have agreed to in the first place.

Tymell
27-07-2006, 02:37
Magnus the Red had it coming, you can't master chaos, eventually it will destroy you and in the end that certainly proved the case with the Thousand Sons.

Bah, Imperial propoganda! :p

Seriously though, how will Chaos eventually destroy you? I admit in many cases that might come true, but, well, death will master you eventually anyway, why not give it a shot? Just take a look at the Primarchs. Most of the Imperial ones are probably dead (okay, so some have just "disappeared", but we already know that Primarchs -can- die, and the likelihood of many surviving for so long is slim). Of the Chaos ones, three are dead, and all of them were killed by the Imperium, not Chaos. They likely would have gone on to join the six still alive as immortal daemons. They are not guaranteed to live forever and with far more power than they ever had in life.

Immortality is about as far from destruction as you can get, so I'd say they did pretty well out of it ;)

Tanith Ghost
27-07-2006, 03:17
Bah, Imperial propoganda! :p

Seriously though, how will Chaos eventually destroy you? I admit in many cases that might come true, but, well, death will master you eventually anyway, why not give it a shot? Just take a look at the Primarchs. Most of the Imperial ones are probably dead (okay, so some have just "disappeared", but we already know that Primarchs -can- die, and the likelihood of many surviving for so long is slim). Of the Chaos ones, three are dead, and all of them were killed by the Imperium, not Chaos. They likely would have gone on to join the six still alive as immortal daemons. They are not guaranteed to live forever and with far more power than they ever had in life.

Immortality is about as far from destruction as you can get, so I'd say they did pretty well out of it ;)

Chaos corrupts all who follow it. It warps people into monsters, disgusting shadows of their former selves.

The Emperor, in his wisdom, decreed sorcery a crime. Magnus
defied that decree. How long until Magnus decided he knew more than the Emperor? How long until they fell anyway?

Chaos is a vile evil, nothing less. To use it is to place yourself in grave peril.
To follow it is to be damned beyone all mesure.
Those daemon primarchs are damned, utterly and irevocobly.
Better if they had died than done what they did.

Imperial Stormtrooper
27-07-2006, 03:32
NEVER!!!!! Chaos is great! you talk of corrupting, but the imperium itself is corrupted! You blindly follow a guy strapped on a chair with life support keeping him alive and you worship him as your god? And the enslaving of planets and un-wanted annexations of planets into the Empire!
Chaos is rewarding! much more rewarding then the emperor! Damned nothing! the Heresy opened the eyes of the "traitor legions" about the truth of your FALSE empire! Chaos doesn't warp men into monsters, it only warps them into Champions!

Death to the false Emperor!

Tymell
27-07-2006, 10:21
Chaos is open to all. It refuses none, turns no one aside, it's gates are thrown wide open and it embraces any. Anyone who has it in them can become great under Chaos, it discriminates against no one. Whereas the Imperium could not be more corrupt and twisted. This is where it's "purity" has gotten it, and in time it will crumble, just as all empires do. But Chaos will live on. The followers of Chaos have no true need to launch attacks, if need be they can simply sit and wait for the Imperium to fall, then scoop up what remains. The Primarchs have become gods.

[style of Hugo from Hugo & Victor]: That's what I think anyway...

Splagbot
27-07-2006, 12:21
You speak lies traitor scum, the Imperium is not corrupted, it is a divine and righteous place where the simplest man can ascend to greatness in the service of the immortal Emperor.

As for him being strapped to a chair, who was it that put him there and could someone please remind me as to where that particular individual is now.

Hail to the Emperor, death to the heretic!

aximand
27-07-2006, 14:42
we've gone of topic,but did it occured to both sides that the empire is rotting from within with burreuocracy and mad inquisitors on a wich hunt,while the rest refered as traitors are either rotting corpses or ugly mutated warp beasts?
the heresy destroied mans rightful struggle to conquer the galaxy,see how good it was before the heresy!
oh and i believe that given time man would eventualy master the warp.the events just show how foolish the emperor,horus and russ were.
for mankind!!!!!!!!

Splagbot
27-07-2006, 14:52
In fairness to Leman Russ he was just doing what the Emperor had told him to do.

The thing with Chaos is that it makes you think that all the things that you are doing are you're idea and that you're right and everybody else is wrong, this is exactly why half of the Primarchs sided with Horus, because when they where told of by the Emperor they thought they new best, they should have remembered one thing, daddy knows best.

aximand
27-07-2006, 18:19
in fairness to magnus,russ was sent to escord magnus to terra,horus told russ that magnus is a traitor and it for the best that he wouldnt leave prospero alive and russ went on an all out war to kill magnus.
in my eyes russ is just another of horus pawns,while magnus did everything to ensure the safety of the empire and the emperor.
my 2 cents!

Captain Loken
27-07-2006, 20:31
absolutly, horus is the evil one not the emperor.

Splagbot
27-07-2006, 22:16
Where does it say Horus told Leman Russ this?

Even if this is the case, it was the best thing Horus did, I mean yes Magnus was loyal at the time, but how long would it have remained that way, he was dabbling with powers that where beyond his control, Chaos corrupts and Horus, supposedly the greatest and most pure of all the Primarchs turning to Chaos proves this point.

aximand
28-07-2006, 15:57
in false gods horus tells to fulgrim how he talked russ into killing magnus.
and still i dissagree,magnus was far from ever threatening the empire,it was just horus's talent of getting people to do what he wished,sometimes without them even noticing
cheers!