PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer ??,000 - ideas thread.

my_name_is_tudor
23-07-2006, 20:31
Following on from the "A New Age for Warhammer 40,000" thread, I'd like to use this thread to brainstorm, and then refine, ideas for a Warseer 'potential future' for the 40k universe.

The ultimate aim is to hopefully craft a pretty coordinate sequence of events for the next 10,000 years of the galaxy, and to come up perhaps with homebrew codices, fluff pieces, artwork - whatever we can really.

Of course, everyone has a different image of what the future of the 4st millenium will look like.. so this has to be a fairly democratic process. The floor is of course open to debate on what makes good fluff and what doesn't, but lets keep it civil folks!

Duel_Crisis
23-07-2006, 20:37
Likely I think we could see the Kroot become every race. Yep, in the future of 40k we will see Marine and Eldar Kindred Kroot. Heck they already have an ork-strain so I feel justified that we see Kroot rebuild with a greater bio-diversity than ever before, baring what the shapers deem is good and what they deem as bad.

Tanith Ghost
23-07-2006, 20:38
Some Imperial vctory for a change- An out and out win, not 'barely won and held the line'. A few big and widely noted battles where the Imperium was on the attack and took the enemy to school.

Some inter xeno conflics would be nice too. Eldar vs Tau, Dark Eldar vs bugs,
Necrons vs Orks, or other combinations of these.

Chaos fighting Orks or Tau would be good too.

And my own personal wish- The tau on the back foot. I want to see those smug piles of xeno garbage BLEED damnit!

Duel_Crisis
23-07-2006, 20:48
I think one day the Imperium will get sick of the orks, or see them as too big a threat to put aside anylonger. Sucide sqauds of Imperial fists are sent down to known orkish planets and those are bio-bombed. Orks are crippled but not destoried, for a while expanding away from the Impirium, while nursing the greatest orkish grudge ever known. In 50k they come back with a vengence, in a series of completely unexpected attacks. Hardened, and bloodthristy.

Reabe
23-07-2006, 20:48
And my own personal wish- The tau on the back foot. I want to see those smug piles of xeno garbage BLEED damnit!

It'd be interesting if the Tau's political outlook went the entirely opporsite way. From Utilitarianism straight through to Veitnam veteran-like state-of-mind.

I get the feeling that nearly all the races are either near their goal (Like Chaos, which needs to make Cadia fall, then it cane pretty much Blitskreig its way to Terra, although once there it'll have a hell of a time defeating the Imperium), or on the way to their goal (Tau with their "taking over worlds but in a "nice" way") but it's all tantilizingly out of reach due to the actions of another race (Or, for the Orks, themselves. If they all banded together, they could wipe the galaxy out). Except the Imperium, who never get what they want.

I could be wrong on that, though, because you could say no one's anywhere near to what they want to do.

Twisted Ferret
23-07-2006, 20:56
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 13 (11 members and 2 guests)

:eek:

Kandarin
23-07-2006, 20:58
It must be said that the Tyranids and the Necrons/C'tan are the 'imminent doom' races. The destruction of all others in the rather immediate future is part and parcel of who they are. For there to still be life in the 51st Millenium, the Tyranids must have been defeated. Perhaps not totally, but defeated nevertheless.

C'tan and Necrons are a trickier prospect. Saying that they were defeated is a bit less feasible and they go for longer-term plans anyway. A storyline where the C'tan/Necrons were able to conquer the galaxy (though their 'great work' was a dud for some reason or another) and are now seeing their empire crumble around them as their cattle rebel would be pretty damn cool.

Tyron
23-07-2006, 21:00
Kroot

With the increasing exspansion of the Tau empier the Kroot continue to eat their victims and their evolutions accelerates, becomming smarter more efficent and refined race. They will no doubt want to seek independance from the empire as they see themselfs as 2nd class citizens. The etheriel caste will not allow this and thus war will range which scould spark off other races to seek independance from the empire.

As for the galaxy no doubt the Imperium will start to lose territory as the increase of attacks rises, along with the c'tan leading the necrons putting a strain on the Imperium. Seeing this the Eldar realise thier pawns are being retracted and unless they do somethingfuture events will become harder as they have few races to manipulate for their survival and will try to keep the Imperium alive as they "maintain order" among the other races.

The c'tan could awaken the others in the universe that will come to this galaxy and fight, maybe the old ones will come back to fight also or the eldar gods.

With the Imperium tested to its full the cry for a saviour has reached its peak emitting enough power for the Emperor to ascend to become the Star Child and fight the c'tan with the eldar gods, and other powerfull beings from other races. Most likely the c'tan will construct a short truce with the chaos gods to fight back this alliance.

Yes a few typos but typed this quick, and more ideas to coem later. Though I have a theroy on the whole Emperor/Star Child plot which will be done in a while.

Helicon_One
23-07-2006, 21:00
Interesting thread, but do you want to jump straight ahead by 10,000 years? The way 40K fluff has been set (and comments from the writers, IIRC) seems to indicate there being a definite '7 minutes to midnight' feel - the idea that everything is on the edge of falling apart, any time now, and that the 40K timeline represents a snapshot of the galaxy right as it teeters on the verge of something big.

I'd quite like to see a jump to around 41,100 to actually focus on the something big itself rather than looking at it as already being ancient history - ten millennia is a big step to make all in one go, and I fear the only realistic depiction of the galaxy at that point will be utterly unrecognisable next to 40,999 (example: "the Nids have eaten everything, except the Necrons and the daemons").

I may post some ideas from 41,100 shortly, if you don't mind.

Tim

my_name_is_tudor
23-07-2006, 21:01
My thoughts:

Chaos: Capitalising on the damage caused by the 13th black crusade, Chaos forces began a exponential push into the galaxy soon after the turn of the new millenium. They now control a reasonably large chunk of the galaxy, likely most of Segmentum Obscuras, with a small finger of control reaching out to the Maelstrom. On all sides they push outwards, especially on the southern edge, towards Terra, and to reinforce the path to the Maelstrom. With an empire under it's belt, Chaos, ironically, begins to see the merit of an order..

the Imperium of Man: As the Imperium rushes to defend its northern borders, many thousands of worlds are stripped of resources, and essentially left for dust. Great swathes of Imperial teritory is lost, as the Imperium becomes a concentrated - but admittedly still extremely powerful - organisation surrounding Terra. Imperial government is in tatters, the usually strict Imperial rule reaches limits even extreme by their standards. A sense of martial rule unheard of even in the strictest reaches of the Imperium becomes standard. Civil unrest becomes normality. All able bodies men and women are required to fight. Numbers of Imperial Guard have multiplied hugely, focussed on consolidating the Imperium. Never again will the Imperium spread itself so thinly purely down to arrogance - and the Marines are having none of this.

Many influential Marine chapters declare the Imperial Consolidation an act of treachery, and sporadic warfare breaks out across the Imperium between loyalists. Many chapters head off on their own crusades into Chaos territory, but many more head out into the lost zones to the south and east, working together to forge a new Imperium.

And for reasons unknown, discontent starts to spread throughout the ranks of the Adeptus Mechanicus.. particularly on most Holy Mars...

Just a few ideas for one side of the galaxy, hope you like!

Helicon_One: disregard the name really, this is more about coming up with potential futures, so the actual date doesn't matter. 50,000 just sounds betters as a benchmark, lol.

Gotchaye
23-07-2006, 21:06
In another 10,000 years, the Orks, the Tyranids, and Chaos are going to be in largely the same boat. You just can't beat the Orks. I imagine that the Tyranids will settle into a sort of equilibrium with the other races - the Imperium will likely figure out better ways to fight them, and every Hive Fleet that hits a good-sized population of Orks is a Hive Fleet that's not going anywhere for a good long time. Chaos has an impregnable stronghold in the Eye, but they're just too weak to accomplish much outside of it.

The Imperium will be in significantly worse shape. It's already crumbling, and I imagine that we'll see an Imperium of roughly 2/3 its current size in the year 50,000. Most of its former worlds will be Ork-infested or Tyranid-devoured. It's also entirely possible that something happens with the Necrons and Mars, which would go a long way towards crippling the Imperium. I feel that they could fight off the Dragon, but the effort would let Chaos gain a foothold outside of the Eye, allow Ork and Tyranid incursions elsewhere, and generally result in a lessening of Imperial power throughout the galaxy.

The Eldar, the Tau, and the Necrons are too variable to call. The Necrons will probably be much as they are now, though oddities with Mars and other tombworlds could give them a bit of strength. I don't think they have the manpower to really be a force in the galaxy, though.

The Tau depend entirely on what the Tau are. If, as is still supposed by a few people, the Tau are independent of all other races, they'll almost certainly be dead by 50,000. They're too weak and too few to have a prayer against advancing Waaaghs and Hive Fleets, and a dying Imperium may decide to lash out at weak neighbors like the Tau in an attempt to preserve its chances at a comeback. If this is the case, the Eldar will probably also be in the same shape as they are now, fewer in number but closer to Ynnead.

If, on the other hand, the Tau, or at least the Ethereals, are the tool of (or at least are being manipulated by) some other race (and Xenology indicates that the Eldar are the most likely), there could easily be a galactic power shift. With the backing of Farseers and Eldar skill and technology, the Tau could survive whatever the next 10,000 years throw at them while evading the spiteful attacks of a failing Imperium (an Imperium that, with a replacement ready in the Tau, the Eldar are more than willing to help push over the edge). The big picture would be an Imperium on the brink of destruction with the Tau Empire growing rapidly in size and power, preparing to assume the same position that the Imperium fills now.

my_name_is_tudor
23-07-2006, 21:08
following on from my own post:

If chaos is a major player, then the Necron's will have put their focus into the Pariah technology. The plan to end the connection between the Material and Immaterial worlds will be already in motion. The Necron's will have begun to forge some sort of Empire.. more like a vast farm.. within which their great technologies are holding back the effects of the Warp. They are the second most pressing problem the Imperium is facing, as they push slowly into the new Consolidat Imperium. They do so slowly, as they know they need to be ready for the phenomenon of chaos on the other side. Development is key, and the C'tan are certainly patient.

(I'm considering starting a series of polls towards the future of each race, but I'll wait till more ideas are in)

Mechanicus
23-07-2006, 21:09
My thoughts on the Adeptus Mechanicus.

The Mechanicus becomes increasingly independant, causing friction between them and the Ecclesiarchy/Inquisition. The Mechanicus expands it's territories, keen to capitalise on the recent reduction of the area controlled by the Imperium, founding dozens of new Forge Worlds, Knight Worlds, Weapons Testing worlds, etc. The Imperium, of course, finds out about these, and friction increases further. The High Lords demand the Mechanicus to explain it's actions, and they refuse to. The High Lords request that all the arms the new worlds are manufacturing go to the Imperium, not the Mechanicus and the Imperium. In response, the Mechanicus withdraws Titan and Skitarii aid from Imperial battlezones to better defend it's worlds. The Imperium is in outrage.

Duel_Crisis
23-07-2006, 21:14
Reformation? Is it possible that the route the Empire is currently on religiously leading them to a point of religious civil war?

Gotchaye
23-07-2006, 21:15
For the sake of this sort of discussion, we really need to avoid the sort of instant-win functions that various races have access to (and that could possibly end things in as little as a thousand years). We just don't have the information to bank on scores of Hive Fleets appearing, on the Orks organizing and taking over anything, or on Ynnead being born.

While it's interesting to speculate on what that 'something big' will be, it could go in so many different ways that we really can't predict it. The Necrons could wake up en masse and enslave/kill pretty much every living thing in the galaxy, seal off the Eye, and force the Eldar into the Webway. The Orks or Tyranids could start crusading in unprecedented numbers and wipe everything out. The Eldar could birth Ynnead, instantly bringing them to pre-Fall+ levels of psychic ability, allowing their psykers to hold off entire armies of other factions. We don't know enough to say which will happen first, or even to make reasonably intelligent guesses as to which will happen first.

my_name_is_tudor
23-07-2006, 21:16
Yeah, no 'wiping outs' please, at all, even if they seem imminent.

Some guy (UK)
23-07-2006, 21:19
Well, for definate, I'd love to see some sort of Starchild story in the saga. For my other thoughts:

I would like it for a sort of possible eventuality expansion to be released. Using the 40k rules and any other city-fight expansions would be compatible. The only difference is that you can play one of two possible futures:

Future one: Doom for the Imperial setting (Year 43000-ish):

The Cadian gate was assaulted by a 16th (14th and 15th crusades were very small) Black Crusade- and it broke through :evilgrin: . The Imperium have lost many, many worlds, and are throwing up a rushed line of defensive planets, and bringing in billions of men from around the Imperium.

The nids that were diverted to the Ork worlds have emerged, much later than thought, giving the Imperium more time, but those ships that survived contain deadlier more fierce DNA (the orky stuff). Slowly, worlds are being lost and devoured. New hive fleets have arrived

Orks- same as ever really- in other words- ownage. Lots of Waaaagghhhhsss going on.

Tau- expanded greatly, but now face the threat of new hive fleets and the cronies. Some technologies- unstable however- have been developed, that help in fighting the necrons. Idea stoled by Adeptus Mechanicus. Many world and small alien species have joined the Tau empire.

Necrons- many more have now woken, and are attacking mainly the Tau and Humans along the Eastern Fringe, but also, key strongpoints of the Imperium and a few other races besides.

Eldar- day by day, they are slowly being destroyed, yet many have disspeared, some say they have died, other says they have fled, possibly to another galaxy, away from the suffering and torment of this one. However, many of the remainly few, realising their eventual faint is near, try to cling onto what life they can, and ease their feelings on humans, trying to work alongside. The Imperium, in such dire circumstances, can't afford to deny this help, and often even work with the Eldar gladly.

Imperium- it's been roughly 13000 years since the height of man's power over this galaxy, and they have never been worse since. The very core of this organisation is falling apart at the seams, worlds converting to the ways of Chaos, the Cadian Gate all but lost, planets taken over by alien societies, orks and nids at the door, a possible large scale war with Tau ready to set off, and the Necrons appearing everywhere; the Imperium is a shadow of it's former self.

How the Imperium lives or dies would be up to the players. A slow, but much faster moving timeline with regular campaigns for the fate of different systems would be played, sharing a rota with scenario two:

The year is 44000 a.d. (or there abouts), and things have slowly been deteriorating for the Imperium. Many planets have fallen prey to Chaos around the Cadian gate- slowly this line of defences is failing. On the other side of the Galaxy, on the Eastern fringe, thousands of worlds have left the Imperium, to create seperate Empires, as the Imperium is of so little importance to them. However, thousands more are being taken over by the Tau, some by force, others less so. Many souls are needed to win these worlds back, but it takes time to gather such resources. Elsewhere, the Necrons slip through security systems, making it in close to the very core of the Imperium. Nids and orks are like a Plague, spreading far and wide.
Fear not though.

Upon Terra, something awakes, renewed. Changed yet unchanged. Cults say he will be the one that brings man to destroy evil once more. The Starchild has awoken.

This would be the story of how the Imperium would come to terms with the Emperor reborn, taking back what was theirs, in ages gone by- a second Great Crusade. Some how, the birth of the Emperor would bring back the wounded Primarchs, new ones created (but not available to buy for ovbious reasons ;)). This setting would share campaign runs with the other scenario, and would progress through the creation and upholding of the new Imperium.

Disclaimer- if you have read this, firstly well done, but secondly, these are only my interpretations, so they may not be 100% accurate.

Of course this would have to be changed for the year 50,000.

Later, Some Guy

Duel_Crisis
23-07-2006, 21:20
Yeah, no 'wiping outs' please, at all, even if they seem imminent.We should limit threats that seem too big though...

my_name_is_tudor
23-07-2006, 21:26
I've changed the name of the thread.. so we're talking 'the future' not a specific date.

Helicon_One
23-07-2006, 21:27
My thoughts:

Chaos: Capitalising on the damage caused by the 13th black crusade, Chaos forces began a exponential push into the galaxy soon after the turn of the new millenium.
Good starting point. I think we have to face facts here: the defence of the Cadian system is unsustainable - looking at the EoT website and final results, the entire system is 29.4% and Cadia itself is less than 40% Imperial. That is a big mess. Plus, Cadia actually falling is a big deal - its not just some random rockball nobody cares about *coughcoughMedusaVcoughcough*, and sets up the next stage of the story nicely. Loads of Cadian regiments will get off-world (so we don't have to junk the model range), and they'll all be bitter beyond words and out for massive revenge. Again, that's a nice fluff point to go with. I guess we have to save Usarker Creed too, as much as I dislike him.

Is there any consensus on what happens if Cadia falls? Can Abaddon 'switch off' the pylons? Presumably they could show up with the planet killer and blow the whole place into dust, but that's no fun. So, how about Cadia owned by Abaddon, and massive teams of smarty Chaos guys to poke at the pylons and trying to figure out all sorts of devious and nasty things that could be done with them, but leaving them in place for the moment.

C'mon, lets have Cadia fall. PWEEEEEEAAASSSSE?

the Imperium of Man: As the Imperium rushes to defend its northern borders, many thousands of worlds are stripped of resources, and essentially left for dust. Great swathes of Imperial teritory is lost, as the Imperium becomes a concentrated - but admittedly still extremely powerful - organisation surrounding Terra. Imperial government is in tatters, the usually strict Imperial rule reaches limits even extreme by their standards. A sense of martial rule unheard of even in the strictest reaches of the Imperium becomes standard. Civil unrest becomes normality. All able bodies men and women are required to fight. Numbers of Imperial Guard have multiplied hugely, focussed on consolidating the Imperium. Never again will the Imperium spread itself so thinly purely down to arrogance - and the Marines are having none of this.

The Imperium being fragmented into a number of factions is my personal goal here, I'll just come out and say that right now, and I like this as a first step towards that end (project hijack ftw!).

Tim

Duel_Crisis
23-07-2006, 21:35
If Cadia falls what planets near-by suddenly find themselves as the new Cadia? Abaddon sets himself up, and then what? We see planets in nearby systems become the stations of troops. Maybe some corrupt govenor gets more money. We see infasturture put into the area. Maybe three chapters... after all Cadia is just the first gate. The Imperium logically blosters the defenses of those just beyond it. The war expands beyond Cadia. Prehaps we even see a few campaigns to attempt to get it back in the near future.

And Tim, I'm liking your goal. :)

my_name_is_tudor
23-07-2006, 21:38
Cadia is more than just a gate, its the only thing physically holding the Eye of Terror back - due to its Necron constructs, the pylons (or whatever they are called).

Duel_Crisis
23-07-2006, 21:39
Doesn't the Imperium know enough about them to rebuild them?

Tyron
23-07-2006, 21:42
Doesn't the Imperium know enough about them to rebuild them?

They dont know it's Necron technology, AFAIK it cant be replicated by anyone.

Kandarin
23-07-2006, 21:47
Whatever the case, for such a universe to be created, the primary feel of the 40K universe has got to go. I refer to the Doomed Imperium fighting for its life against unstoppable...well...doom. In another 10,000 years, whatever Bad Things (Necrons' plans, Tyranid mega-fleets, Chaos breaking out of Cadia, Ork uber-Waaagh....whatever) were going to happen either were prevented or already happened.

The Imperium crumbling for 10,000 years against attacks from all sides stretches plausibility as it is. More of the same for another 10,000 years is just ludicrous. If the Imperium's enemies get the momentum, the Imperium can't just fall back to become a smaller empire. It must win or perish. As of the year 50,000 the Imperium should be either ascendant or dead.

Charax
23-07-2006, 22:20
001.M41 - Medusa V
the Tau, Tyranids and Orks make great gains on Medusa V.
Tyranids
Deathleaper becomes a part of the Hive Fleets once again, and it's unique adaptations are replicated among other species.
Tau
The Tau learn of the Gellar fields, and begin construction of them. All the research bases are left drone-controlled as the Tau evacuate. Imperial forces on the planet manage to capture several artifacts of Tau origin for study.
Orks
The Orks manage to get half their forces off of Medusa V before the storm hits. The Waaagh! continues and the intense fighting on the planet has ensured that the Orks are bigger, tougher and more numerous than they would otherwise have been. The Hulk sets off, with an unexpected hitchhiker - a Deathleaper.
Eldar
the majority of the gates are sealed, but as the planet is consumed by the storm, it's rage arcs through the remaining unsealed Webway gates, tearing into Alaitoc. It suffers heavy damage and becomes adrift in space, the Webway being too hostile for it to enter. Craftworld Saim-Hann sends a large fleet to Alaitoc to defend it while it repairs.
Necrons
the Storm Lord fails, but manages to phase out to a nearby tomb world before the storm hits. His forces manage to harvest many millions of people, however, and his plans grow wider in scope.
Dark Eldar
No'Akei gains many, many slaves and returns to the Dark City ready to challenge Vect. A brutal civil war erupts between Vect's supporters and No'Akei's, with other factions carving out their own tiny empires in their wake.
The Imperium
Medusa V is lost. Marshal Harazahn commits suicide for breaking his oath, and the Vostroyans are further disgraced by their defeat. The Space Marines fail to prevent Ygethmor's plans.
Chaos
Ygethmor succeeds in performing the ritual, but at the moment when he would have absorbed the powers of it and gained ascendancy, one of the gathered sorcerers unloads a clip of bolter ammo into his back, and his broken body falls to the floor. It is Zaraphiston, who takes his place at the centre of the ritual and transforms the planet into a daemonworld of twisting shapes and vibrant colours. The Daemon Prince Zaraphiston now stands ready to challenge Abaddon as the new Chosen of Chaos.

002.M41 - Czevak discovered on a remote world, gibbering insanely. The harlequins have stripped his mind of information and he is a useless wreck. Nazdreg's Waaagh! encounters the crippled Alaitoc and attacks. the fighting is brutal. Alaitoc re-opens it's webway portals and reinforcements from Eldar worlds all over the galaxy flood into the world. The first Tau long-range warp probes emerge near Armageddon, Catachan and Terra. The Ordo Xenos panics.
003.M41 - The more puritan members of the Inquisition uses the Czevak incident to gain the ascendancy once again. The Eldar come close to being declared Xenos Horrificus, but the continued fighting around the Eye means that not enough forces can be drawn away to carry out the xenocidal crusade. Mind-wiping or extermination of forces that have come into contact with Chaos becomes Imperial policy once again. The Orks are driven off of Alaitoc, only for the Black Templars to finish off the stranded craftworld. Alaitoc's surviving population becomes nomadic. At the moment the fatal blow is struck and the craftworld is shattered, a colossal fleet emerges from the webway and annihilates the Templar fleet.
005.M41 - Chaos gets it's act together. after a period of withdrawal they smash Cadia. The legions disperse and Abaddon's leadership evaporates. He takes the Black Legion and a few close allies on a path to Terra. Zaraphiston, having spent the last four years gathering forces lashes out into surrounding space. Withdrawing forces from the Eye, the Imperium forms a defencive blockade ahead of the Despoiler's forces, allowing Zaraphiston to attack with impunity. After another long period of silence, the Tyranids attack, a large force revealing themselves in the middle of Nazdreg's horde.

The universe is brutal, and this is just the beginning.

Indrid Khold
23-07-2006, 23:14
That's all well and good Charax, if only it were rooted in reality.

As it stands now, it looks like the Eldar are going to preserve the Webway (with gusto, I might add), and that the Imperial population will be safely evactuated. Chaos looks like it can kiss its dreams of another demon world goodbye.

As for the future of the universe, I like the idea of the Imperium reconsolidating and becoming just one of several competing, generally equal, factions. The Imperium is a force near Terra, the Tau are a powerful force on the other side of the galaxy, Chaos has an empire around the Eye of Terror, the gaps in between them are a dangerous place haunted by Necrons and Tyranids, and the Eldar play the dangerous game of weaving the Tau and humans together to banish the darkness forever.

Oh yeah, and the Orks would just keep rockin' in the free world.

As for the Dark Eldar, I'd dearly love to see No'akei kill Asdrubael Vect and set them towards some agenda comparable to (or perhaps in tandem with) what the Craftworld Eldar are doing now.

my_name_is_tudor
23-07-2006, 23:18
I'm going to put the first poll thread up - Future of the Imperium.

Charax
23-07-2006, 23:20
:eyebrows: Rooted in reality? You want a hypothetical imagining of a future set 40,000+ years in a fictional future to be rooted in your narrow view of reality?

No thank you, you see I actually have an imagination, and I'm damned if I'm going to quell it for your comfort. you don't like my ideas? go directly to hell, do not pass "I care", do not collect any respect.

my_name_is_tudor
23-07-2006, 23:24
He means the reality of the campaign, as in, the scores coming in. Chill, please.

Gondorian
23-07-2006, 23:29
Calm gentlemen! We do this for fun remember.

Personally, I'd like a Tau civil war. One of Farsight's ships meets a regular Tau ship, a misunderstanding occurs, shots are fired. Tau have there own little version of the Horus Heresy.

Tyranids go through Tau system, they are pretty close as it is. This would also be a big problem for the Tau as their system isn't too big.
You can tell I don't favour the Tau.

The necrons become more offensive, I always get the idea that they are on the defensive for some reason.

Eldar gradually dwindle into nothingness.

I really can't see the imperium surviving no matter how much I want it to. The last stand on Terra, if there is one, will be almost as great as its origonal siege.

Charax
23-07-2006, 23:31
and why should the results posted halfway through an ongoing campaign hold any weight in a hypothetical discussion?

my_name_is_tudor
23-07-2006, 23:33
Well, yeah, but still no need to get worked up.

Personally I'd prefer Medusa to be left out of this entirely. I think its a dreadful idea for a campaign, and frankly why should the results of one smelly little world matter an inch?

"This summer, a world will die" Wow, thats got to be a good year for the Imperium.

Goq Gar
23-07-2006, 23:39
I think the next few centuries will see: Terra under attack from necrons, as they simply teleport into imperial inner space.

Tau almost cut off entirely by the hive fleet, but nonetheless fighting them off with relative ease.

The orks suffer against the two armies that can truly ahniahlate them from a planet: Nids and necros.

A new hive fleet sent in straight to the heart of terra.

Tau desperately trying to get the Imperium to join forces, as both face ahniahlation.

The eldar realising the true threat of the angels of death, and begin to take steps to ensure the survival of the imperium and the Tau (not so much unless they can prove themselves worthy).

The Chaos lord abbadon launching his 14th black crusade. (Notice that the last one probably failed due to the number) and succeeding in taking Cadia once and for all, and a massive attempt to retake cadia by imperial forces.

The dark eldar do what they've always done, been a thorn in everyone's side.

And the space marines begin to strike in force. Daemon and witch hunters are all called in to duty. Every man woman and child of the imperium is given a gun and sent to the lines.

Terra and Mars are defended by several thousand star ships called from all corners of space. Every chapter of the marines are called to aid in the defense of holy terra and mars.

Yeah, alot of stuffs happening in my mind

Tanith Ghost
23-07-2006, 23:41
There were two things mentioned in other threads I'd like to see-

1. The Eldar realize arrogance is killing them, and realize the Imperium is their ticket to having a future. The Imperium realizes the Eldar could be a tremendous help and relaxes their xenophobic policies.

2. The Tau deal with a full scale hive fleet and the very messy aftermath.
And I don't mean the 'Gav thorpse's god mode we just board and kill them in their sleep' BS. Aside from the fact that the tau should have encountered the hive ship's defenders, I think they'd be in trouble if they had to deal with the bugs the old fashioned way. For real. The hordes without number. The bio-titans. A fex or two getting in among the fire warriors.

my_name_is_tudor
23-07-2006, 23:43
Despite all your Tau-hating Tanith Ghost, they ain't going nowhere. Firstly, why would GW introduce a race doomed to a quick and sudden demise? Secondly, for this project, there is a strictly "no 'wiping outs'" policy. That goes for every race, not just the Tau.

Tanith Ghost
23-07-2006, 23:45
I'm more hoping to see a bloody Tau-bugs war than see the tau wiped out.
But a real fight, not the usualy 'We won easily because GW made it so'.

my_name_is_tudor
23-07-2006, 23:46
As opposed to, the Tyranids won because GW made it so? GW write all the fluff for this game..

Duel_Crisis
23-07-2006, 23:48
The first of the Empire's losses will likely be small. We'll see one world beseiged and taken over by Orks. Normally not an important world, thus not well defended, but it is a cross-roads for trade, the weakest portion of that route. By hiting that planet the Orks cut off a section of the Empire from Trade. These few systems station a single space marine chapter, and several small Imperial Gaurd garrisions. The reason the Chapter is even there was because this region has a historical problem with Dark Eldar slave raids. (My idea for a summer campaign they could have in the future)

And cut off from trade the peoples of one of the worlds grow restless causing minor choas cults and factions that were there before to grow. Ultimately a fight embroils between Choas, the Imperium, Dark Eldar, and Orks. I was thinking the Empire could lose this campaign, and abbaddon these worlds as Undefedable leaving them either to Choas or Orks.

This is one of the things we could use to set-up an Imperial consolidation.

Tanith Ghost
23-07-2006, 23:49
Basicly, think Armageddon, but on a major Sept world, with the bugs invading.

On that note, Xeno vs. Xeno engagements would be welcom in my book.

my_name_is_tudor
23-07-2006, 23:50
Yeah, I agree on that, I'm sick of every major campaign/fluff bit/whatever being Imperials versus aliens.

Duel_Crisis
23-07-2006, 23:51
I'm more hoping to see a bloody Tau-bugs war than see the tau wiped out.
But a real fight, not the usualy 'We won easily because GW made it so'.
Acautly I wanted the Tau to devolp a virus (akin to the virus the Imperium uses on Ork-invested worlds) that would attack the Tyranids, killing off one or two hive ships altogther as I'm sure there are more Tryanids out there, and some of them may even grow immune to the virus.

Charax
23-07-2006, 23:52
This is a very strange thread - it's labelled as a brainstorm, but ideas are limited to what GW is likely to do - why should it matter if GW will be likely to kill off the Tau? we are talking about a time period spanning the next ten thousand years of background (hardly a "sudden demise", as Tanith didn't state where in this ten thousand year scope of future history his events would unfold), after all. Considering GW are loathe to move forward the background a *single* year, I hardly think it's unreasonable that something we think is impossible now (the wiping out of the Tau) could come to pass.

See? perfectly calm and reasonable.

EDIT: Although "no wiping outs" seems like a good policy.

my_name_is_tudor
23-07-2006, 23:54
No, ideas aren't limited to what GW is likely to do at all. I just get annoyed at Tanith Ghost every once in a while because of his insistence they should be, and so was taking the opportunity to point this out again.

For the purposes of this 'project' that doings of GW don't matter squat. But I want to rule out things being wiped out, I think its boring. Its like a cop-out. Better things can be done.

Duel_Crisis
23-07-2006, 23:55
Yeah, I agree on that, I'm sick of every major campaign/fluff bit/whatever being Imperials versus aliens.Well I can't see themselves trying to distance themselves from the human POV
which is so prevelant in Warhammer 40k mythos...

That being said I disagree with the anti-Tau setiment here. While I'd like to see mor econflict between them, just like I would humans, I don't think having them destroyed is the immeadiate path we should take...

Charax
23-07-2006, 23:56
to be fair, he didn't say they'd be wiped out, just that they'd have to deal with a Hive fleet - I like that idea - I think the tau would kick ass, although suffer heavy losses, which is after all what makes a good campaign. Tau orbital assets are more than capable of taking on the Nids and winning, while the land battle is heavily swayed to the 'niddies.

Tanith Ghost
23-07-2006, 23:58
Sorry if I came across as demanding all tau dead. I mean 'real fight' in the context of the tau having to take on a hive fleet the old fashioned way, much as Lord Calgar did, and became the first Imperial commander to best a hivefleet and wipe it out entirely.

Possible scenario- Orks land in force on a Necron Tomb world. The meks
receive a covert tip from the Ordo Xenos that there's lots of gubbizs to be had there, maybe. So the orks land in force, and set about sacking the tombs.
Needless to say, the local Necron lord takes a dim veiw of this, and attacks.
The orks are mostly wiped out. But the necron lord fails to realize the orks spoore, and another ork horde grows up at attacks again, joining with the most cunnin of the original survivors, each time getting more clever about it.

SuFi44
24-07-2006, 00:02
Why don't we use this Firebase thingy? We could have our own version of Chapter Approved and make new rules, army lists, and hobby ideas.

As for the Tau, I would love to see a Farsight Heresy, lol. It's not to hard to imagine. The Tau gain access to warp travel and are slowly seducted by Chaos.

Indrid Khold
24-07-2006, 00:04
My keen farseer talents tell me that the longer this thread goes on, the worse people are going to start treating each other ....

I've already been told to go to hell, and that was just on page 3! *scurries back into the darkness*

Charax
24-07-2006, 00:06
it was actually "go *directly* to hell", not "stop and post on the way" and that was mainly because you dismissed my thoughts in one line with no reasonable logic for doing so.

my_name_is_tudor
24-07-2006, 00:08
Shush, no more talking about that irrelevancy.

Duel_Crisis
24-07-2006, 00:24
Could I get an outline of what topics we want to discuss, and what timeframes we'd try to fit them in? What year do we want to start this Warhammer 40k FH in?Do we plan for the fall or the rise of the Empire? Do the Eldar go excint over a period of time, stay the same, or reboound in numbers, or possibly any combination of the three? (for example the Exodites rebound but the craftworlds ultimately are inable to reccoperate) Do we see more or less Choatic coruption than at the current time in 40k? What is the future of the Tau Enclaves? A reconquista by the Tau Empire, or do we see a new version of things come to pass? What about Tyranids? Do we see more Hive Ships appear? Do we see current ones dealt with or do those grow even larger?

my_name_is_tudor
24-07-2006, 00:27
This is what the polls are for, we discuss ideas here, and the ideas raised go into polls, to decide the final outcome.

Duel_Crisis
24-07-2006, 00:37
This is what the polls are for, we discuss ideas here, and the ideas raised go into polls, to decide the final outcome.I was trying to direct the conversation somewhere.:p Pick a topic and run with your view of it!

Hun
24-07-2006, 01:19
In the future chaos has become a greater threat. In fact, it has now replaced the Imperium as the dominant force in the galaxy. The eye of terror now encompasses more worlds and several times in the recent past has expanded large enough to swallow most of the galaxy.

The destruction of the Imperium came about with the awakening of the dragon and the rise of the four C'tan in the galaxy. Rebellion spreads from the forge worlds to the galaxy as a whole. Soon, the C'tan renew their old harvests and planets in their path erupt in panic.

On a few worlds it is heard that the necrons have been defeated. Now worlds in the path of the necrons are visited by mysterious strangers (I have ideas they may be xanthite inquisitors, chaos agents (particularly Tzeentchian ones) or perhaps eldar harlequins but I didn't want to be specific) who equip the people with knowledge of the warp and a war is waged (which is like a localised war in heaven).

As before the uncontrollable energies of the warp spill once again into the galaxy, the Necrons are beaten back, but they are able to finish their great project on Mars and they establish a bastion from which they begin the relentless expansion of their realm.

Remnants of the once galaxy swallowing tyranid fleets have been scattered. Small 'pods' of tyranid hive ships survive, roaming unmolested throughout the galaxy, harvesting at will. (Though perhaps if two fleets meet they will reform into one larger fleet, so that it could be theorised that eventually the tyranids would join up to form one giant, galaxy stripping force)

The massive Ork empires remain relatively unchanged only, that with the destruction of the Imperium they now have greater freedom in the galaxy.

The Imperium is shattered into thousands of miniature empires when contact with Terra is lost. Those not under the sway of chaos tend to be paralysed by rebellion, under alien influences or have remained united and formed their own, slanted, view of governship.

All are viewed with the same scorn through the eyes of the handful of surviving space marine chapters and they brutally reinforce 'order' on the lost worlds.

The space marines are not politicians they are simply warriors, but unable to trust the traitorous masses they forge empires dominated by the personality of a Chapter Master. Servitude under the space marines is hard, bloody and terrifying.

Communication between the empires is minimal to non-existent due to the heavy loss of most astropaths during the expansion of the eye. In these times distrust and fear dominate and so there is no unity or common bond; marine fights marine as they did during the heresy not just for ideals or for revenge, but also for materials and technology.

The marines are forced to resort to piracy (though some have difficulty coming to terms with that fact) because the empires they create do not have an even distribution of the many needs of their populaces. For instance the Salamanders rule an empire of metal and can forge fantastic weapons but they have very few means of producing their own food, so they must raid nearby worlds.

But not all of the human world's are ruled by space marines and there are hundreds or thousands of human empires each one developing in it's own way.

I don't really have anything for the eldar (both types) and the tau so I'll leave it there.

Sorry for the long post and the shamelessly stolen ideas.

Zzarchov
24-07-2006, 01:48
Well I think that 40k is perfectly set up to be a "shift" universe. New races replaces old ones which age and Die.

Eldar are shifted out of relevance, Imperium crumbles and becomes the new dying race "Eldar style". Giant Hive Ships (as in Spires with rockets) house the nomadic humanity seeking to reforge the human empire.

Tau have a golden age and expand outwards, only to have their AI predictabley rebel (notice a similar tune) and then in their weakened state develop psykers and send their empire of reason into a downward spiral of superstition and panic as the warpstorms return to the Tau empire and once more cut it off.

Later a new charismatic and powerful ethereal, or perhaps the enigmatic Farsight enclave, will reforge this new psionic tau empire, only to be struck down by Chaos..begining their own 10,000 year cycle of entropy before some new upstart race usurps them.

Indrid Khold
24-07-2006, 03:11
Hmm....

So are we actually trying to plot out a schematic for a continuation of the game universe of Warhammer 40,000, or are we leaving all that behind and just building up a whole new status quo?

I ask because, while it is possible for things like Chaos becoming the dominant galactic power, or humanity taking to Craftworld-esque drifting colonies, that wouldn't be a very good direction for the game to go (whereas humanity being greatly scaled back, Chaos having a smallish empire around the Eye of Terror, etc. would be workable in context of the game).

Duel_Crisis
24-07-2006, 06:06
I brather have a story arch that has realitive points of stable war that can be pointed out at anyone time as a use for ingame context for our goal. If anything I won't mind upsetting the context of the current 40k and having it reworked into something new. Like if we could take away the Eye of Terror, everything would change, but I think Choas would try and reestablish themselves, and in time we see Choas break through again. Its bound to make a different and new choas. In the meantime we'd still have worshipers of choas, and their effective weapons in the Choas Space Marines trying to bring their demonlords back. Heck it would be an intresting plot twist if the one who sealed off the Eye of Terror was a human worshiper of choas that betrayed its masters. It seems a choasy thing to do if the human was more stubborn, and more willful than its masters, and would fit in the unpredicatable motives of choas. It doesn't wipe out choas, but it refocuses it.

Outlaw289
24-07-2006, 08:01
I'd like for the Astronomicon (spelling?) to be wiped out or not have enough Psykers.

It'd be interesting to see how Heroes arise to keep the Imperium together in a time of uncertainy and gloom.

Its a very possible scenario IMHO, with more and more enemies encroaching on the Imperium and making arrangements for Psykers all the more difficult

Sikkukkut
24-07-2006, 08:37
On Chaos

In developing future events I'd move away from treating Chaos as a conventional military power with a discrete set of geographical borders. Sure, the Eye of Terror is a handy base that's hard to counterattack into, but the armies that march out of it are only a fraction of the story. Instead of thinking of the Thirteenth Crusade as a be-all and end-all, I'd take it as a strategically-placed wedge, a demolition charge that's creating deep and ominous cracks.

Projecting forward, I'd have Abaddon's military advance stall in Cadia - and have this be his intention all along. While Imperial attention is focused on the big, obvious conflict, pouring troops and ships into the warzones, the more subtle influences of Chaos are seeping ever further out into the Segmentum Obscuras. Over the next couple of hundred years after the Crusade that whole region of the Galaxy festers like an infected wound: cults flourish faster than the Inquisition can count them, epidemics of blasphemy and insanity run riot, more psykers are born than ever but with ever more frightening taints. System after system slides into mutiny and brushfire wars spring up across the Segmentum: by the second century after the Crusade there's barely a world untouched by mutation, Chaotic subversion, sabotage and the most hideous, psychotic forms of Warp-worshipping terrorism, and military reinforcements to the Cadian warzones have to run a gauntlet of saboteurs and mutineers that reduces them almost to the state of the units they're meant to be relieving. As effort after effort tries and fails to crack down, the brutal purges within the Adeptus only compound the damage. And Abaddon laughs...

On the Tau

I'd like to see the Tau go through the same process that the Imperium of Horus Rising is about to go through. An optimistic, rationalist, forward-looking civilisation running right into the maw of a universe that just doesn't work that way. I don't know enough Tau background to go into details, but I'd want to see what had happened to their ideology once it's been punished by the monstrously cruel forces at work in the 40Kverse and they've found out, the way that the Imperium did before them, that starry-eyed faith in rationality, progress and the Greater Good just don't work. I don't know quite what that knowledge will do to them, but I'd be interested to see.

chivalrous
24-07-2006, 09:37
I seem to remember rumours cropping up about a decade ago talking about GW playtesting a series of campaign packs dealing with this very topic. of course this was pre 3rd edition, pre-Tau and pre-Dark Eldar.
The general theme was that the tide of Chaos had grown stronger the imperium was under seige from all sides and from within.
The space marine gene seed had mutated so the Space Wolves had effectively gone the way of the 13th Company, Blood Angels had all succumbed to the Red Thirst but there were more incidents of members overcoming it in a similar way to Mephiston, Ultramarines were suffering from random mutations. The only chapter unaffected by this was the Dark Angels but they were effectively in seclusion on the Rock.
Oh and the primarchs were making a return although I took that on with a salt mine.
I didn't hear very much about any of the other races, it seemed that the campaign was, as usual, centred very much on the Imperium/Chaos war.

Reabe
24-07-2006, 17:53
Is there any consensus on what happens if Cadia falls? Can Abaddon 'switch off' the pylons? Presumably they could show up with the planet killer and blow the whole place into dust, but that's no fun. So, how about Cadia owned by Abaddon, and massive teams of smarty Chaos guys to poke at the pylons and trying to figure out all sorts of devious and nasty things that could be done with them, but leaving them in place for the moment.

I thought it was the Pylons that kept that little stretch of the Eye of Terror free of troublesome Warpstorms. Wouldn't that nice little gap close if the Pylons were destroyed? Or would it be more like the machine being shut down in Ghostbusters, so all of Abaddon's buddies get set free?

my_name_is_tudor
24-07-2006, 18:02
I got the impression the pylons were the only thing standing in the way of the expansion of the eye..

Helicon_One
24-07-2006, 19:30
People are talking about a new Black Crusade, the 14th, or even jumping forwards to a 15th or 16th, but.... brace yourselves, people..... what if the fighting to date was only the beginning of the 13th BC?

The Imperium has been pushed back away from the Eye, they're reforming and thinking "ouch, that was a bad one".... and then the main force of the 13th Black Crusade smashes into them in a second wave..... the EoT campaign, well, that was just the spearhead..... now the real battle begins!

Tim

Tanith Ghost
24-07-2006, 19:53
I thought it was the Pylons that kept that little stretch of the Eye of Terror free of troublesome Warpstorms. Wouldn't that nice little gap close if the Pylons were destroyed? Or would it be more like the machine being shut down in Ghostbusters, so all of Abaddon's buddies get set free?

Those pylons go, and the gate closes. No more reliable route between clear space and the eye. Abbadon and his buddies are effectively locked out.
Locked out with a very angry Imperium closing in on all sides with murderous intent.

Helicon_One
24-07-2006, 20:26
Those pylons go, and the gate closes. No more reliable route between clear space and the eye. Abbadon and his buddies are effectively locked out.
Locked out with a very angry Imperium closing in on all sides with murderous intent.

Which means that pre- 13th Crusade, they were as much a hindrance to the Imperium as a benefit, because they kept the fortress door wide open for Chaos incursions to come in?

Interesting. OK, so turning Cadia into a new asteroid belt isn't in Abaddon's interests either then. I wonder if he could do anything with them, though?

Tim

Xisor
24-07-2006, 20:43
The Imperium of Man & Machine
[Ref: Empire of Terra and Mars, the Imperium wouldn't exist with only one]

It falls. Simply and totally.

Cadia falls, soon. Chaos is ascendant. Ygethemor's victory on Medusa V doesn't just turn it into a Daemon World, the Hand of Omega(Heart of Chaos I think, actually!) does more: it opens a Maelstrom/Eye of Terror/Storm of the Emperor's Wrath style vortex, and Chaos has a new base on the Eastern Fringe.

Whatever is lurking under Mars stops lurking once Abaddon's fleet reaches the Solar System, he unleashes it. Presumably it's Necron/C'tan related. Terra and Mars are, to use a highly technical term, buggered.

The Imperium Fragments. No 'light of the Astronomicon', no 'the Beuracracy'll send us something forty years later and save us once we're dead!'. Simply: The Imperium is over. The remenants remain though, the scattered fragments of humanity band together, but it's not pretty. Much like the fall of the Roman Empire, the 'East' survives as 'Imperial' for some time. Places like Ultramar become nice bastions of Imperial humanity after the coming of Chaos. The rest is pretty fragmented though. Lots of tough places though, Armadgeddon'll be around and fighting, but it'll be alone with only it's sector available to supply aid(thus Voss and Armageddon would be a 'mini Imperium').

Interestingly, with the lack of a 'core Imperium', the various Marine chapters are free, essentially, to be a bit 'bigger than standard'. Alot more dilute though, as they need decent, usuaully forgeworlds, worlds to maintain legion-like fighting forces...they also become alot more integrated with normal human operations, but at the head of many too.

Chaos

It wins. The bulks of humanity is shattered. There's still great big sharp shards left, but the bigger picture is entirely broken. No Terra, no Mars...the great bastion is gone, succumbed to Chaos(or perhaps the Necrons, or maybe both!). Ygethemor won on Medusa V, it's another 'Warp Storm' place, like the Eye of Terror and the Maelstrom. To put it lightly, Chaos isn't just ascendent, it's 'taking over', but due to it's nature, it is simply ravaging things. There's no 'great Empire of Chaos', no united world-front. The entire Imperial galaxy is a fractured thing now, with only the likes of Ultramar, the Armageddon Sector, the Gothic Sector etc standing 'tall'(or rather: still standing). Chaos takes it's grip on hundreds of worlds, but since there's no Imperium, it only really matters to those worlds themselves.

The Orks

They take a hand aside Chaos in clobbering stuff as Chaos pounds the Imperium. Seeing the Charadon empire's engagement with the Tyranids, the Orks actively Waagh across sectors in pursuit of Hive Fleets, 'Bastions of Humanity' and still roving 'Black Crusades'. The whole galaxy is 'shook up' and busy, really. Lot's of 'big' Ork Warlods now, with Ghazghul and Nazdreg being a few of the most notbaly successful(though there are *lots* of Orky successes).

The Dark Eldar

No'Akei doesn't 'quite' make it on Medusa V, but the Dark Eldar are *alot* more fractured, but they're also ascendent. The Galaxy is rife in such a manner that they *can* venture to new parts of the webway, they can pillage whole Hive Worlds if they need to. It's like 'inflation' in Commoragh. Asdrubael Vect may still be the richest, but everyone else is catching up fast...and it's all alot more active. Lots of smaller 'Dark Cities' are founded, some out on the North Eastern fringes of the Galaxy as hybrid worlds of Half-Dark Eldar, Half-Exodite, Half-something altogether new, some others are founded elsewhere in the Webway, great fleets and interstellar conglomerations of both Corsair and Dark Kin become commonplace. Dark Worlds with the whole Galaxy on the move are very intruiging places to be. No'Akei and Vect, and a few others form the 'dominant' folks who take interests in these situations. The Dark Eldar have a lot more *to do*.

The Eldar

Simply: The whole shebang is hitting the fan, but there's always hope. Alaitoc escaped relatively unharmed by the events upon Medusa V, but all the Eldar are alot more proactive in Galactic affairs. Though not allied or partnered to the Tau, they are acting in mutual accord *alot* more often 'nowadays'. The Eldar race has seen a great re-shuffle since the Dark Eldar 'shakeup' in the webway. The cultures are both becoming diluted and more independent. Smaller 'path dedicated' craftworlds are breaking away from main craftworlds and becoming very 'orthodox' in their ways, whilst the larger onces like Alaitoc and Biel Tann are really taking actively their fights to the forefront: visibly intercepting Ork Waaaghs, visibly aiding Ork Waaghs. Generally though, the Eldar continue, just more vigorously.

The Necrons

They become the next 'big threat' in the Galaxy, truly. They're forging domains.

Sectors will fall to them, but with the resurgency of Ork Waaghs against both Tyranids and Necrons, they are facing a fearsome fight. The Eldar are acting up against them too, but the Eldar and the Humans are small fishes in a big pond now: The 'big three' are the Tyranids, Orks and Necrons, with Humans taking a role more akin to what the Orks *were*.

No more sign of the Dragon or the Outsider yet, but the Necrons Lords and Immortals themselves are reasserting their own personalities again, their High-Culture begins to re-emerge as required in their domains.

The Tau Empire

If it didn't gain enough experience on Medusa V, it did sooner or later. My bet is sooner. Within the millenia, the Tau Empire is capable of expanding not only to the 'next' sector in steady phases of 'expansion', but it develops sufficiently so that it can 'reach out across the galaxy', and assert itself. It's still not populous enough to be a 'big four', but it's slowly getting it's hands on the resources no-one else wants. The vast arrays of Demiurg Commerce Vessels that have been hanging in the Corona of Stars for millenia are slowly contacted and brought back into the fold. Race upon race, world upon world accedes to the Empire. It may not be ideal, but it's better than all that's come before. The Tau are not so young anymore. They see their share of Horror and Terror once more. Whatever reason N'dras was abandoned for rears it's ugly head.

The 'core' Tau Empire may be the core, but it's not the only part of the Empire. As suggested, the Tau develop 'warp travel' to a higher degree than the Imperium. Not perfect, but such that they can literally cross the Galaxy as needed. It's not as brilliant as the Necrons, or as fantastic as the Eldar, but it does the job. The Demiurg, the Kroot, the remnants of Humanity, the Vespids, the Galg, the Nicassar, they all share in this. Many Tau ships can claim to have been on both sides of the 'fall of Humanity'. Some were fighting aside rogue Imperial forces making war on loyalists, whilst others can claim to have helped in the defence of Holy Terra itself. The Tau Empire may be even darker, but it's not stupid, and it's not *defined* by it's darkness. Given the onset of three horribly anti-Tau'va factions(very fractured, but exceedingly powerful in each peice Orks, the horror that is Necrons, and an ever increasing menace of Nids, and like all three-body motions, it's a wee bit difficult to predict the outcome with certainty), the Tau'va is in it's hayday. That it's a journey and not a destination is all the more emphasised.

The Tau Empire is still the home of 'adventure' in a refined and orderly sense. You can sign up for the Tau Empire, and you'll be part of the forces sent in to observe the events on Mars. You'll be part of vast fleets fighting perpetual battles against the Necrons and Tyranids. You'll be conducting hit and run raids against the heart of the Orks. You'll be travelling to craftworlds as part of diplomatic and trade duties...you'll be able to touch the Galaxy itself.

Even greater than all this, it'll be a really action/reaction situation. Whilst the Tau Empire is always up to something, something is always up to it too. Be it a crafty set of Tyranids trying to subvert your outer colonies whilst sneaking of with T'olku, or whether it's the Orks rampaging across multiple Septs...it won't be the situation where such an event can *break* the Empire on it's own, and the Empire'll still be fighting back. It'll be a push *and* pull situation, not like the Imperium where it's a case of 'besieged by everyone'.

Not only that, but there'll be dealing with all the Humans too.

composing around 20% of the Galaxy's colour.
- White = Humans and assorted others. These generally make up the bulk of the rest. Such things include the Q'orl(who we assume *aren't* easily controlled by Ethereals or vice versa), and Ultramar-like places. This white is also representative of the bastions of Chaos, which'd probably make up about half of all the white. Dark Eldar(or whatever their society evolves to) also make up a >1% portion of the white, though I've no idea by how much.
- The rest...insignificant!

Summary:
- Imperium falls.
- Humanity Survives.
- Tau get better.
- Chaos wins, but wanes too as it just can't continue in the face of Nids, Orks and Necrons being 'too' good. It remains tied, essentially, to humanity. For now.
- Necrons, Nids and Orks become the big three. All get a decent boost in terms of 'that's interesting!'
- Same goes for Dark Eldar, but they're not really a *major* player.

Major Players
Orks, Nids, Necrons. Tau come a close fourth.

Minor Players
Humanity(Chaos, Imperial and other), Dark Eldar, Eldar, Assorted Other.

Xisor
24-07-2006, 20:44
<missed a bit>
Where does Xisor see the political climate to be in 50,000?

It'll be largely like so:
- Blue = Tau Empire. Large blue blob in the south and east, with lots of smaller vibrantly blue dots scattered across the Galaxy. Overall the blue doesn't make up the bulk of the colour of the galaxy, largely it'll be around 15% of any coloured spots.
- Grey = Necrons. Big Grey Blobs scattered across the Galaxy. Lots particularly in the outer west. Make up about 25% of colour
- Green = Nids (Joking! We know it's Orks!). Lots of Green blobs and envelopes across the Galaxy. Very fluid at the edges though, always changing. The 'core' components rarely change, and are almost always the source of the tendrils. Probably a good few dozen 'core' blobs. 25-30% of Galaxy.
- Purple = Nids Lots of purple across the Galaxy. Extremely fluid, but composing around 20% of the Galaxy's colour.
- White = Humans and assorted others. These generally make up the bulk of the rest. Such things include the Q'orl(who we assume *aren't* easily controlled by Ethereals or vice versa), and Ultramar-like places. This white is also representative of the bastions of Chaos, which'd probably make up about half of all the white. Dark Eldar(or whatever their society evolves to) also make up a >1% portion of the white, though I've no idea by how much.
- The rest...insignificant!

Gotta shoot!

Kandarin
25-07-2006, 03:15
Now that's a proper summary. Believable, too. Nice work, Xisor.

Tanith Ghost
25-07-2006, 07:23
Ygethemor won on Medusa V, it's another 'Warp Storm' place, like the Eye of Terror and the Maelstrom.

:eyebrows: Counting your spawn before they hatch methinks.
Ygethemor is loosing rather badly at the moment.

Duel_Crisis
25-07-2006, 20:58
Medusa V doesn't seem that significant, except for the Tau and Chaos.

Tanith Ghost
25-07-2006, 21:41
To those who fight for it, it is important. The IG who try to hold the line long enough to see the populace to safetey. The Astartes who seek to thwart the powers of chaos and deny them their prize. And all the others who make war there.

They key is the smallest part of the gate, but by no means the least important.

Duel_Crisis
25-07-2006, 21:50
Still if the daemon forces are defeated you just get the Imperium having more of the same. If the Tau suceed you get proto-type warpships that are bound to drive them mad...and then...

We'll have the Tau Empire turn to Chaos by deluded versions of the Greater good. They'll start painting their ships with skulls and turn pink, while Vespids devolp a interconnecting, almost feral minds while Farsight attempts to save the universe by becoming the Emporer of the Tau, only to be stabbed in the back by one of his Shas'els...and those being confined to an anime Palce on Tau keeping the newly soulful and fleshy pink Tau safe from the forces of chaos...while the kroot devolp into fungus and start barberically sacking worlds!

:D

Yes it reaks of sarcasim...

Brother Smith
26-07-2006, 00:10
The Imperium continues to decay. Wars are fought, progress is made, but inevitably it's borders shrink by 20% in the space of a few short millennia.

As the Imperium crumbles huge rifts are cast between it and the Mechanicus, now known as the Mechanicum, which declares independence from the Imperium.

The Mechanicum have a civil war early in it's inception - Traditionalists vs Reformists. The Reformists win, and the Mechanicum becomes a major power in the Galaxy.

As is the fashion of the Imperium, several disastrous crusades are launched to recapture and reinstate the status quo on the newly independent Mechanicum worlds, so that it can keep the factories it needs so much under it's control. They fail.

The Imperium now starts to lose huge areas of space to various forces, including rebellion, but largely Tyranid, due to the new lack of supplies.

Whole sectors are plunged into poverty and depression by the economical disaster started by the founding of the Mechanicum. Because of this, the Imperium witnesses a reformation of which it has ever seen.

One way or another, the Imperium recovers, having lost over half of it's worlds. It's technology is improvised, localised and of poor quality. What is remnant of the Mechanicus days is jealously hoarded. We see a shadow of the former Imperium, ruled by a succession of warlord-generals.

Still holding out against frequent Imperial attack, A Magos has risen to power on Mars after launching a huge expedition through the catacombs, recovering ancient technology not seen since the Great Crusade. Under his leadership the Mechanicum consolidates it's power, and launches conquests of former Imperial and alien space. There is now a cold war between the two new Human factions. It can't last for long.

Meanwhile, in the abandoned regions of space, something is stirring.

I'll continue the story, and the future of the other races soon. Could be written a little better though..

malisteen
26-07-2006, 02:31
I'm sorry if some of my ideas have already been posted by other people, I only skimmed some parts of the thread.

One thing that has to be dealt with is the tyranids. As an 'immenant doom' race, tyranids are set to either wipe out the galaxy or be wiped out long before m50k. My solution? Infighting.

Genestealers infest populations, creating hybrids that eventually created powerful personalities: the patriarch and the magus. Tyranids are currently munching on orks, who are known to be highly resistant to spiritual and biological influences, and there's no reason this might not also grant a partial resistance to genestealer 'cultification'. My proposed result? A powerfully psychic (nigh unto emperor level) independant orkish 'stealer magus that dominates the hive fleet sent to absorb his cult and proceededs to start turning tyranids against each other, eventually leading to a grand war, away from the galactic rim, where tyranids loyal to the hive mind are defeated by tyranid fleets under the control of tainted orkish minds. The Tyranorks win, Wiping out the Old nids, though not before they broadcast a final beacon out into the vastness of space.

The Tyranorks, now few in number, consolidate their territory, taking over the regions of space previously under the control of the ork empires consumed by the nids. Independant hive fleets on the rim eventually die off after losses to Tau and Imperial troops.

Tyranorks are essentially the same as nids, but are under the control of individuallistic, orc-tainted maguses which dominate a harem of norn queens. Unlike tyranids, the Tyranorks do not strip and abandon worlds, they instead conquer, terroform, and habitate them, using them as modest continual resources, rather then huge, one time feasts. They also are subject to a strange brand of politics, alliances, and even infighting between magii, though their telepathic communactions make such uncommon.

Imperium/Chaos

Chaos finally crushes Cadian resistance, despite the intervention on Imperial behalf of the Ulthwe Craftworld. In the 14th crusade, Abaddon crushes Ulthwe as well, conquering the Craftworld and turning it into his own personal battle barge, complete with planet killer and black fortress weaponry.

All the CSM legions unite behind Abbadon, and even the Daemon-Primarchs get off their lazy behinds to help out personally. They push towards earth, crushing all in their way. At the final battle on Terra, most of the space marine chapters, the entirety of the Sororitas and Grey Knights, and legions of imperial and mechanicum troops rise against the Chaos forces. Three Imperial Primarchs reappear to battle their fallen brethren. Though hopelessly outmatched, they are saved when one of the Chaos Primarchs turns against his kind, revealing himself as Cypher's patron in the process, and takes out two of the Daemon Primarchs before being brought low himself. Meanwhile, stirred to action by a war that could take all it had built, the Dragon rises from Mars and moves against the chaos fleet, only to be destroyed by the black fortress weaponry of Abbadons battleship.

At the foot of the Golden Throne, Abbadon battles the Lion and seems to be winning until Cypher delivers his sword. The Lion Delivers a killing blow, but as he dies Abbadon hurls his daemonic blade, which finally destroyes the emperor.

The emperors death is a cataclysmic psionic event, destroying not only the palace, but terra itself, it's system, and everything else in a huge swath of space. The eye of terror itself is blown away, entire legions of daemons are completely wiped from existance, and the chaos gods, each heavily invested in Abbadon, are each crippled in some symbolic way (khorne looses an arm, Slaanesh's face disfigured, etc). The region of space around Terra is left completely empty, apart from the craft that was once Ulthwe. Powerless, it's weapons systems and defenses completely burned out, it drifts through empty space, a haunted place of great evil possessed by a malign intelligence, and, forever raging, a faceless, nameless spirit. This Dead Zone in spaced is matched by a similar Dead Zone in the warp, one just as visible to Navigators as the Emperor's beacon once was.

Imperial society collapses. Human civilization continues in the form of independant small, allied empires, most of which are ruled by Space Marines. Their main tennant of their alliance is that they destroy together any human civilization that turnes to chaos worship.. The largest of these is, of course, Ultramar.

With the mechanicum revealed as Xenos-worshipers, most are wiped out. Imperial technology takes a heavy hit, but the Space Marine empires take great strides to foster new, non-mechanicus understandings of technology. The new-tech, while not as powerful as that copied from the ancient STCs, is fully understood by humanity, and a new age of development begins. Many human empires ban STCs except in the most dire circumstances.

Chaos Space Marines are all but entirely wiped out. Chaos persists, of course, but chaos armies look more like Lost and the Damned forces, with actual chaos space marines being exceptionally rare (0-1 elites, optional HQ?), and most of those trace their roots to the Red Coursairs, rather then to the origional Chaos Legions.

The Cult of the Empire is discouraged by most Human empires, but continues to persist in some places, where they believe the Emperor's spirit will one day be born again. These cults have no unified focus, and myriad sects of these "star child" groups, each with seperate beliefs and looking for differant signs, rise up and are stamped out throughout human territories.

Others
The lack of a unified imperium significantly reduces pressure on a number of species, and Ork, Eldar, and Tau empires grow. With Slaanesh's maiming the Laughing God was able to trick her once more, allowing himself to be captured by the great enemy, who thought that by consuming the laughing god she could restore herself. She was fooled, for as she consumed the Laughing God, he was able to strike out at her in her weakened state, a blow that released millions of eldar souls. Angry, but restored, and with knowledge of the webway, Slaanesh prepared to steal the remaining Eldar souls, but those released by the Laughing God's sacrificial strike were enough to finally birth a new Eldar Death God, who struck Slaanesh down, maiming her again, and cast her back into the warp, where she is no longer able to consume eldar souls.

The Craftworld eldar still use spirit stones, but infrequantly. Only great heroes use them, in order to extend their service to their kin (as marines use dreadnoughts). A powerful new Aspect of Death, apart from the Aspects of Khain, rises to pre-eminance in Craftworld Society.

The Dark Eldar use the opportunity to re-aquire the crone worlds, which, though still tainted, are no longer within the warping influence of the eye of terror. They re-establish the old eldar empire, and open new warpgates on their new worlds. The great city in the Webway spills out of these gates, a great interdimensional metropolis with buroughs that extend onto each of the new dark eldar worlds.

The tainting influence remains, however, and chaos cults, particularly cults dedicated to slaanesh, take root within the far flung corners of this new dark empire. Craftworld eldar despise what they see as a repeat of the mistakes that led to their great fall, and break off all ties with their darker kin. Wars even break out between them.

The tau empire wars with splinter hive fleets, a war they almost lose before the intervention of Farsight. Though they battle together to destroy the last of the splinter fleets, the schism still leads to civil war, where commander Farsight's group is beaten and flees, vanishing into the warp.

Necrons...

Necrons....

You know, the one thing I can't figure out about my future is why the necrons don't conquer and destroy everyone. Infighting? The Outsider turning against his brethren? Some human group disrupts their control?

Or maybe reveals the necrons as a great lie? Maybe the Necrons are not the Necrontyr after all. Maybe the C'Tan, the Ynead just discovered the buried remains of Humankind's mechanical men (that would explain their human-like shape), and took them as their own, replacing the living armies of the necrontyr which were never actually converted to mechanical form. Maybe the command the humans used to put their mechanical men to sleep is rediscovered, and control of them is taken from the C'Tan. I don't know.

Or maybe we see the return of the Old Ones themselves, finally able to reveal themselves again once the Gods of Chaos have been maimed. I don't know.

Those are my flights of fancy, anyway.

Duel_Crisis
26-07-2006, 14:40
The Empire has wasted itself in crusade after crusade, and now another one has appeared. The Empire has decided to make its boarders safe once more and has decided to launch against the most prevalent of threats, the Orks. The recent Waaaarghs have taken away much of the focus the Empire needs to focus on other tasks, such as squush the insolent Tau, annihilation of the Tyranids, or dealing with the powers of Chaos. In the first instance of consolidation there is always war.

Imperial Fists, Steel Legion, and haters of Orks your time for revenge draws nigh.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I write this as a backlash against the recent Green Crusades. The Empire must be able to deal with the orks or they will be ravaged, and the Orks have the abilities necessary to recuperate from this so I'm not afraid of the race death rule in this case. In the meantime internal strife builds within the Empire. It has determined that it won't fall from the outside, but the inside is just as hard. Corruption reigns, factions divide the church and the warrior. Inquisitors strive to keep the Imperium alive by purging enemies of the Imperium, but even they are beset by factionalism. For now it holds, but later who knows?

azimaith
26-07-2006, 14:50
Necrons...

Necrons....

You know, the one thing I can't figure out about my future is why the necrons don't conquer and destroy everyone. Infighting? The Outsider turning against his brethren? Some human group disrupts their control?

Easy answer. The Great Work is far from done and the C'Tan discover that the Emperor of Mankind is the only thing keeping chaos from taking mankind. Fearing the potential loss of a massive source of food, they withdraw leaving the Imperium of man to survive until they can complete the Great Work. Or the necrons do conquer the Imperium, and allow the Emperor to survive to protect humanity from the warp that they can't deal with so they work as puppet lords, false lords of terra.

Or maybe reveals the necrons as a great lie? Maybe the Necrons are not the Necrontyr after all.

Except they are, pulling a Dallas here would kill the fluff with a spoon.

Maybe the C'Tan, the Ynead just discovered the buried remains of Humankind's mechanical men (that would explain their human-like shape), and took them as their own, replacing the living armies of the necrontyr which were never actually converted to mechanical form. Maybe the command the humans used to put their mechanical men to sleep is rediscovered, and control of them is taken from the C'Tan. I don't know.

Or maybe we see the return of the Old Ones themselves, finally able to reveal themselves again once the Gods of Chaos have been maimed. I don't know.

Those are my flights of fancy, anyway.
The Old Ones are crushed and all thats left is their mongrel progeny and a few degenerate remnants of their race. The simplist thing to realize is that necrons plan millenia in advance. Theres alot of galaxy to conquer and theres no reason why they need it *right this second*. The tyranids need to be dealt with to avoid a bland food source, the Eldar need to be put down, etc etc.

Duel_Crisis
26-07-2006, 21:52
I think we need to throw out a few more compromise bones for the die-hard Imperialist here. How about we have Jagatia Khan return?

Tanith Ghost
26-07-2006, 21:55
Sure- That would shut the DE players up right quick. Khan emerges from the webway with the first grand company in tow, having spent the last ten thousand rampaging through dark eldar outposts unchecked.

Duel_Crisis
27-07-2006, 16:55
As I've said before I'm for Imperial consolidation, and eventually their collaspe. I want to start this out with a few Imperial Strengthening. First lets have them deal with Orks, as above. Second lets have a Primarch return, but tell us another one is dead by there own sight and story. Lets say Jagatia Khan returns and says Vulkan is dead. Third lets have them lose Cadia in fighting, but have them bring back elements of their army, forcing its recapture and garrisoning. However this causes them to abandon some undefensible posts.

The Ork Waargh is broken, leaving these worlds to develop on their own. Some of them are regulated by Rouge traders, others are within the Imperium but are rebuilding there own defenses, some are used as bait for Tryranids while others become recruiting grounds for Alpha Leigon, or Sanctuaries of Fallen Dark Angels that aren't as affected by Chaos. Life appears to go on normally. The Tau Empire absorbs some of those abandon worlds as well, but these worlds will only cause problems for them in the long run.

One of the key parts of consolidation is that the Empire must take care of more imminent threats, and this includes the Tryanids. Now while the Tau Empire stands as a meat shield that the Imperium can and will use as a place to deflect splinter fleets, the Imperium has other plans in dealing with the one remaining known Hive Ship, and the fragments of the other two. They must if they wish to secure their borders after all.

Eldar are dieing. They have been for a very long time. Its my opinion that the Eldar on the Craftworlds will eventually die out. This same opinion is not true of the Exodites. I think the Exodites will continue to grow and eventual a very different Eldar culture will arise. In time I think Dark Eldar too will die, however I think they have mixed with their slaves taken during their raids, and half-Eldar will begin to arise amongst there ranks. Dark Eldar will start to become a mixed system of Eldar, Half-Eldar, and slaves. At first these half Eldar may be infertile, but every once in a while some these hybrids will be fertile and give birth to quatre-Eldar, and three quatre Eldar, and more half-eldar themselves. A system of hierarchy and castes will develop based on delusions of blood with full eldar on top. These dark half-eldar will be forced to spread, with their murderous culture.

Tyranids will reappear at a few points after their Hive-ships are destroyed, new ones will come into the galaxy, some of them throwbacks, and others more evolved than ever before.

The Tau Empire absorbs New Worlds, travelling East and sometimes west. They run into a new hostile species, much like the tyranids, and the orks who are too savage to be apart of the greater good. This space faring species only resides on two worlds, and only within five star systems, growing a savage servitor species that guards their borders, while also being this savage species cattle. They have their cattle in these five systems growing in terra-formed moons surrounding gas giants. These cattle are viciously loyal protecting mining operation. Indeed Tau can't enter these terra-formed moons without special gear because of a high sulfur content in the atmospheres. Likewise there are certain gases on the worlds occupied by this savage race that make it unbearable to the Tau. However several of their mining worlds are prime condition for settlement for the Tau Empire, thus the Tau make war.

Necrons continue to be a nuisance, though their raids get worse. However life grows back faster than they can harvest for the C'tans, the corps repairing the machines nessacary to defend themselves. Though worse the galaxy continues in spite of the Necrons.

Outlaw289
28-07-2006, 04:02
Or maybe reveals the necrons as a great lie? Maybe the Necrons are not the Necrontyr after all. Maybe the C'Tan, the Ynead just discovered the buried remains of Humankind's mechanical men (that would explain their human-like shape), and took them as their own, replacing the living armies of the necrontyr which were never actually converted to mechanical form. Maybe the command the humans used to put their mechanical men to sleep is rediscovered, and control of them is taken from the C'Tan. I don't know.

:eek: Thats a really good idea IMHO