PDA

View Full Version : 2000 points of NEW Wood Elves

Odin
17-06-2005, 11:56
Ok, I've been scouring the internet for rumours and have managed to compile a pretty much complete wood elf army list, complete with details of spells, skills, magic items, spites and kindreds. And most of the points costs. It's not 100% accurate I'm sure, but close enough to plan out an army (and maybe make a few minor amendments when I get the book).

So, I wanted to try making a list based on the Boxed Army (only without the battle standard - if I do get the boxed army I'll be selling the BSB, as I never use them, especially ones whose only defence is light armour!). Ive taken exactly what's in the box, and added just enough extra troops to bring it up to 2000 points. Let me know what you think...

Highborn with Great Weapon, Light Armour, Hunter's Talon, Hagbane Arrows & Amaranthine Brooch

Spellsinger (Level 2) with Dispel Scroll & the Deepwood Sphere

Noble (Wardancer Kindred) with Blades of Loec

Branchwraith (Level 1) with an Annoyance of Netlings & a Cluster of Radiants

10 Glade Guardians

14 Glade Guardians, inc. Full Command & Aech, the Banner of Springtide

8 Scouts

12 Dryads, inc. Champion

5 Glade Riders, inc. Musician

5 Glade Riders, inc. Musician

10 Wardancers, inc. Bladesinger & Musician

3 Warhawk Riders, inc. Champion

Great Eagle

I've taken the points costs out in case they get Portent in trouble. I reckon this should be a pretty versatile list, with a bit of everything. The Highborn can snipe at enemy characters before getting stuck in (preferably against someone without magical attacks, otherwise the Amaranthine Brooch won't do much!). The Glade Riders will look to get in a position for a flank or rear attack. There's plenty of bows to thin down the enemy numbers, and 2 great counter-attacking skirmisher units. The Warhawk Riders and Great Eagle will of corse hassle the enemy war machines and wizards.

Zeb
17-06-2005, 15:48
I've taken the points costs out in case they get Portent in trouble.

Well, first off: it's WarSeer now...;)

Seccond; what are you going to use the list for? Tournaments/Frendly Games/ a Campaign etc.?

But what I feel is something missing is ranks, or units that negate ranks (you have to few of these IMHO). Skimrishers don't negate ranks...

But as I said, it depends what the list has as an aim.

Good Luck!

Odin
20-06-2005, 12:38
Good point about the ranks. The idea is to use the Glade Riders to negate ranks. But they are rather small, fragile units. I think I may use 2 boxes of 8 Glade riders to create 2 units of 5 and 1 unit of 6. Should make sure at least one unit gets through. A unit of Wild Riders are on my long-term plan as well.

I'll be using the army for friendlies. I may do a tournament at some stage, but I've always been more interested in the narrative side of things - create a themed army and run a campaign.

Still, this one was based on the army box to see if I could get a good army out of it. I think I'm more likely to start with a battalion box instead. Might have to try a list based on that.

Brandir
20-06-2005, 12:48
I intend to use the contents with the addition of Treebeard and Gwahir on my first club nght after I receive the box set.

On the presumption that unit sizes are 10+ for Glade Guardians, I intend to field three units of 10, possibly one as Scouts. As I am not a fan of banners and musicians in shooty units I'll save a few points to use on units I intend to get into combat.

Because we only get six Wardancers in the box set I am presuming that one may field a unit of 5+. Hopefully!

I suspect that I may have to use a fair few magic items to bulk up the points, hoepfully leaving me with enough points to add Waywatchers and Tree Kin at a later date.

warsmith
20-06-2005, 14:22
http://www.portent.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4167
i posted before.. u can take a look

Brandir
20-06-2005, 14:43
I am contemplating an all female army as well - there appears to be female Glade Guard and Wardancers in the photos - which could prove expensive!

Zeb
20-06-2005, 14:58
Well, for friendly games the list look ok, as I stated in my earlier post, but to me it seems to lack edge. You state that you'll build your army around the box and that's fine.
But I would like to change some stuff in it anyway.

-Frist; if you drop 14 archers to 10 Archers, you free up models to have tw units of 6 Scouts, And that's something I would do...

-Seccond; it might be wiser to have two units of 5 Wardancers instead of one with 10 and then use both to "double tap" the opposition with both units, one in the front and one inthe side/rear. Since skimrishers dont get ranks. And if both unit manages to charge, it's one hell of an ambush with two attacks each and +1S on the charge, and choose a dance...

-Third, that will give you an option to do your highborn into a wardancer as well, since I really dont see where he would go (unless you mount him). This will also make your list more geared to a Wardancer kinderd list, which might be cool. Just load up on scrolls... ;)

Odin
20-06-2005, 15:42
On the presumption that unit sizes are 10+ for Glade Guardians, I intend to field three units of 10, possibly one as Scouts.

The boxed army shows a unit of 8 Scouts, so I assume that if you upgrade to Scouts you can take a smaller unit. Hence I went for 8 Scouts.

Because we only get six Wardancers in the box set I am presuming that one may field a unit of 5+. Hopefully!

I believe it's 5 - 15 in a unit (same as it is now?).

-Frist; if you drop 14 archers to 10 Archers, you free up models to have tw units of 6 Scouts, And that's something I would do...

Possibly, but I don't really want to lose the S4 shots (paying 5 points extra per model!), probably will stick to just one unit of scouts.

-Seccond; it might be wiser to have two units of 5 Wardancers instead of one with 10 and then use both to "double tap" the opposition with both units, one in the front and one inthe side/rear. Since skimrishers dont get ranks. And if both unit manages to charge, it's one hell of an ambush with two attacks each and +1S on the charge, and choose a dance...

Could be a good idea, I like it.

-Third, that will give you an option to do your highborn into a wardancer as well, since I really dont see where he would go (unless you mount him). This will also make your list more geared to a Wardancer kinderd list, which might be cool. Just load up on scrolls...

Except that I don't want a wardancer themed list - I'm aiming for a balanced army with a bit of everything.

Zeb
20-06-2005, 15:53
Problem is that so far the Elven balanced lists are not that good, and they tend to break easily...

But then mount him, have him become a scout, exchange him into a lvl 4, but a fighter in a unit with only bows to fight with seems to be a loosing game... sorry...

Also, see if there are other WE players in the area. And ask them if they are willing to exchange stuff with you and there by getting more models you want.

About the scouts, you can make plastic waywatchers from the items in the box, and there by get shooting that might be as effective as the S4 shots (IIRC, S4 is only on short range, but I could be wrong).

Odin
21-06-2005, 09:00
But then mount him, have him become a scout, exchange him into a lvl 4, but a fighter in a unit with only bows to fight with seems to be a loosing game... sorry...

I have wondered about that, but one of my main problems will be my opponent's necromancers, and the Hagbane Arrows/Hunter's Talon combo will really sort those gits out, I think. The idea was that once close combat becomes inevitable he can hold his own against everything except magic weapons (who uses them anyway - great weapons are much better).

Also, I just want to use that superb model. Scout/Waywatcher heroes can't take great weapons, so the only real option is have him as a standard Higborn (or Alter Kindred I suppose).

Still, I am also thinking I might make him a Wild Rider...

Zeb
21-06-2005, 10:23
Well, he strikes last with GW... even with I7 (IIRC). This will mean that a smart player will hit everything he can on the Glade Guard, and you'll lose due to combat resolution.

I really love the model as well, but to have him fight to his potential you'll probably have to include a unit of Guards... That is if you want him on foot... Or alter kinder him...

Scactha
25-06-2005, 17:49
For starters I think youīve done a good job with whatīs in the box.

My vote goes to Dryads before GG though. ItP, Wardsave, Fear, skirmish, 2 attacks, the list goes on over how much better those girls are. I think thereīll be mostly skeleton crews of GG with the stand-and-shoot banner and possibly a unit of Scouts with the marchblocking one.

As Zeb says, elves are so fragile itīs silly considering the cost. Most of the time itīs usually better to take a mixed race list with elves and make it 'the other guys supported by elves'. 12 points for 6 shots a game with maybe half of those at St4? Thatīs pretty much rubbish to consider a main startegy. Pity.

As for combos and main purpose for the Lord Iīm with you all they way. Snipe those Necros and you are way ahead the VC. Myself I think Highborn + Great Eagle mount(for maximum los) + Hawks Talon and Hagbane arrows (or some multiple wound variant if there exists one we havenīt heard about yet).